Honda: Sales, Marketing and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
I'm surprised that people still buy the TL given that a brand new face-lifted one is just around the corner.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:35 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I'm surprised that people still buy the TL given that a brand new face-lifted one is just around the corner.

The 08's are going for pretty cheap.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought civics would have more sales
Old 08-01-2008, 05:06 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Toyota is down more. Fit rules.

08/01/2008

August 1, 2008 - Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported July sales of 197,424 vehicles, a decrease of 18.7 percent from last July, on a daily selling rate basis.

The Toyota Division posted July sales of 175,242 units, a decrease of 17.9 percent from last July. The Lexus Division reported July sales of 22,182 units, a decrease of 24.6 percent from the year-ago month.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Race Director

The Accord almost beat the Toyota Camry. Acura is doing not so great but nobody else is doing good either, so this time it might actually not be there fault (with the expection of the RL). The TL outsold the G for this month which hasnt happened in awhile. The MDX also beat the X5.

I think civic sales where probably because of a shortage. Me and a friend who wanted a new car went to check them out and they where completely out. Thats the only reason I could think of.

Last edited by Trackruner228; 08-01-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:31 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
I blame it partially on the current gas prices. But the clumsy styling definitely has something to do with it. I sincerely hope Pilot sales tank so they will never ever consider releasing something so retarded looking again.
It’s not bad when you compare it with others.
Toureg: 404
4-runner: 3107
Highlander: 6763
CX-7: 2356
CX-9: 1965
Pathfinder: 4711
Murano: 4765
Xterra: 4898

Pilot: 7486

I’d like to add some domestic brands into that list but they don’t list specific models.

Source: http://www.autospies.com/
Old 08-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd rather have a 08 TL then the new "facelifted" one
Old 08-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
It’s not bad when you compare it with others.
True, but it's nearly half its sales same month last year. I think that's more telling. The CR-V has been a runaway hit for Honda, its sales is lower than last year's monthly total, but it's not the same percentage as the Pilot.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Honda: Financial news **Profit Announced (page 2)**

Despite Honda’s comparatively small drop in September sales - down just 1.1 percent - and increasing global demand for its products, the automaker’s operating profit fell nearly 81 percent in North America during the second quarter. Honda says that reduced demand - down 9.9 percent overall during the quarter - hurt its operating profit.

Honda has revamped its North American production to focus more on the efficient Civic and four-cylinder Accord rather than its Odyssey minivan and Ridgeline pickup, but the automaker still expects 2008 to post a sales decline in North America.

Honda expects North America to be the only market to decline in 2008 and current company estimates put the drop at about 6.6 percent lower than last year.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-op...tml#more-10889
Old 10-28-2008, 01:28 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
uhh what? what the fuck does that mean? I thought honda was weathering this storm out pretty well.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Very few automakers are immune from the economic downturn.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
How're they doing world-wide...? Probably down too, I'm assuming, since this economic downturn is a global thing (trickle down effect etc. etc.)...
Old 10-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Of all the other major manufacturers, Honda is weathering the economic downturn the best. It's only been the last two or three months that Honda has posted a drop in sales, where as other companies like Toyota have been reporting it since the beginning of the year. Global sales in all other markets are still expected to rise, unlike North America.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:44 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
That's not bad...they are not in the red...yet.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:45 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ yet.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Of all the other major manufacturers, Honda is weathering the economic downturn the best. It's only been the last two or three months that Honda has posted a drop in sales, where as other companies like Toyota have been reporting it since the beginning of the year. Global sales in all other markets are still expected to rise, unlike North America.
Believe it or not i think VW is probably holding out the best on a global standpoint. Even in NA where their sales are dropping like everyone else they still are pretty good once compared to others....

They just where announced as the most valuable car company in the world (even over Toyota) and just overtook Ford for number 3 in the world for production behind Toyota and GM.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Pinky all stinky

Blame it on the Pilot's craptacular re-design.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:35 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
toyota is a unique case, they have been dont on quality too. And VW is also kicking ass, some 6.x million units for VWAG...
Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 PM
hates the winter

That's shocking considering most of the new cars I see on the roads are Honda's and Acura's. People aren't buying new cars now. This really hurts the small used car dealerships the most.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:17 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
Blame it on the Pilot's craptacular re-design.
Its actually VERY nice inside. The only thing I don't like about it is the front end. I am surprised that profit dropped so much despite such a relatively small drop in sales.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Honda: Takanobu Ito is the New President

Honda Motor Co. Senior Managing Director Takanobu Ito, left, and President and Chief Executive Officer …
Honda Names New President Amid SlowDown

TOKYO – Honda Motor Co. named Takanobu Ito, head of core automaking operations, as its new chief executive Monday, in an effort to provide fresh leadership to battle a global crisis in the auto industry.

Ito, a 55-year-old research and development expert with U.S. experience, replaces Takeo Fukui, 64, who will remain on the board as adviser, Japan's No. 2 automaker said in a statement.

Both Fukui and Ito said the change at the helm is a message of its determination to turn a new leaf and press ahead with technological innovations — its longtime strength — to lift its sagging business, and have the momentum to be prepared to take advantage of a recovery, when it comes.

"We are facing hardships that come once in a 100 years," Ito said.

Ito said he would continue in Fukui's footsteps in developing ecological and affordable products such as the Insight gas-electric hybrid, which has been a hit since going on sale recently.

"Honda's strength has been its sensitivity to changing times and ability to respond quickly to customer needs," he told reporters at the company's headquarters. "My job is to come up with products that can pave the way for new times."

The move, part of a reshuffling of its board, follows a similar change at the top at bigger rival Toyota Motor Corp., who recently named Akio Toyoda, a member of the founding family, replacing Katsuaki Watanabe.

The change at Honda, which makes the Insight hybrid and Accord sedan, still needs shareholders' approval at a meeting in June.

There had been some speculation that Fukui, who has already served six years as president, may step down, but the timing was uncertain.

Yoshihiro Okumura, general manager at Chiba-gin Asset Management, said that simply changing presidents won't offer any quick fix for the industry's deep problems.

"Honda is creating a new setup, but there is no change to the fact that the tough times are here to stay," he said.

But with its performance battered, Honda likely saw the timing was right for change, Okumura said.

Honda, has fared relatively better than Toyota, the world's biggest automaker, in riding out the downturn, partly because Honda doesn't make large trucks and tends to be more nimble.

But even Honda is also hurting and has been curbing production and reducing workers at its plants.

Honda, whose October-December profit plunged 90 percent, is expecting 80 billion yen ($856 million) in profit for the fiscal year ending March 31. Earlier, it had projected a 185 billion yen profit.

The strong yen, which erodes the earnings of exporters, has also cutting profits at Japanese automakers.

Rival Toyota has forecast its first net loss since 1950 for the fiscal year through March.

On Monday, Toyota announced more management changes, including the retirement in June of three executive vice presidents — Mitsuo Kinoshita, overseeing accounting and personnel, Masatami Takimoto, in charge of technology, and Kyoji Sasazu, who had led business develoment and purchasing. Four senior managing directors were promoted to executive vice president at Toyota.

Ito acknowledged he almost balked at the challenge of heading Honda when Fukui approached him to take his place late last year.

"I felt it was a great honor, but that was like 47 percent of my feelings,"
he said. "The other 53 percent was this feeling that I can't take it because it was going to be so extremely difficult. I don't recall being all smiles."

After joining Honda in 1978, Ito began his career as an engineer designing chassis, the main part of an auto, and was in charge of developing the frame structure for the NSX sports car, which went on sale in 1990.

From 1998 to 2000, Ito served as executive vice president at Honda R&D Americas Inc., where he helped develop the first sport-utility vehicle under the Acura brand, Honda's luxury models. The MDX went on sale in the U.S. in 2000, according to Honda.

Ito had already been scheduled to head the research and development unit of Honda in April, but now he will oversee the entire company.

During his tenure, Fukui, who built his earlier career developing motorcycles, led Honda's global expansion, including in the critical U.S. market. He also led Honda's foray into the small jet business and recently brought the Insight to market.

Fukui said Ito was chosen for his vitality and decisiveness as well as for his car-loving personality.

"A Honda president must like cars and motorcycles, and he must be a person who values the rank and file," Fukui said.

Ito, who listed several Honda motorcycles he had owned and loved, said additional restructuring measures may be needed to ride out the slump, but did not give details. He stressed Honda needs to grow even quicker than it has been, coming up with dazzling products like a vehicle that triples gas mileage.

Honda shares dropped 3.8 percent to 2,160 yen. The announcement was made before the end of the trading session.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Ito said he would continue in Fukui's footsteps in developing ecological and affordable products such as the Insight gas-electric hybrid, which has been a hit since going on sale recently."

i guess still no hopes for RWD, SH-AWD, and engine options...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Just read about this earlier. Toyota and Mazda did it, so Honda might as well follow suit. GM, are you listening?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Does he love teh beak? That's the question on everyone's mind.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Honda, has fared relatively better than Toyota, the world's biggest automaker, in riding out the downturn, partly because Honda doesn't make large trucks and tends to be more nimble.....
After joining Honda in 1978, Ito began his career as an engineer designing chassis, the main part of an auto, and was in charge of developing the frame structure for the NSX sports car, which went on sale in 1990......
From 1998 to 2000, Ito served as executive vice president at Honda R&D Americas Inc., where he helped develop the first sport-utility vehicle under the Acura brand, Honda's luxury models. The MDX went on sale in the U.S. in 2000, according to Honda.....
I'm sure Honda is going to ride this out by selling as many Fits as possible in the US. Good on them...I'm willing to wait for the 3G RL to arrive until the company feels it's healthy enough to produce competitive product.

It appears we can thank the new prez for the frame on the NSX and overall for the MDX. If he can convince Acura to tone down or get rid of "teh beek", I'll feel better.

In any case, Mr. Fukui did a great job running Honda. It's still making money, they don't make huge trucks and so had limited exposure when gas prices went up. He could have done a better job with Acura, but at least Honda knows what side of the bread the butter goes on and has a solid business plan overall.

Thanks for your good work, Mr. Fukui.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
Stickied...
Old 06-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Honda hopes to win in U.S. market

Jun 11, 2009 10:27 AM

YURI KAGEYAMA
The Associated press

TOKYO–Honda is ready to offer bigger vehicles in North America should demand return for such models, as well as the small cars viewed as the Japanese automaker's forte, a senior executive said Thursday.

Honda Motor Co. Executive Vice President Koichi Kondo said working to please the customer has been "a basic company stance'' over its half-century history in the U.S. market. Honda reached its 50th anniversary in the U.S. Thursday.

What's so difficult to predict is whether American consumers will revert to their old tastes, he said in an interview with The Associated Press at Honda's Tokyo headquarters. When gas prices dropped after a surge in the 1970s, Americans returned to buying big models, said Kondo, who headed Honda's U.S. operations from 2003 to 2007.

"It's difficult to see who will emerge the winner, but we want to be a winner," he said of the troubled U.S. industry, which has seen General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC file for bankruptcy protection.

For now, Honda is focusing on smaller fuel-efficient products like the Insight hybrid, which has been a hit because of its affordable price of $19,800 in the U.S. and 1.89 million yen ($19,300) in Japan – cheaper than Toyota Motor Corp.'s Prius, the global top-seller.

Honda is promising a sporty CR-Z hybrid for early next year in the U.S., European and Japanese markets, which Kondo said would cost more than $20,000. A hybrid version of the subcompact Fit will follow, he said.

Kondo said he was pushing his engineers to further cut costs for hybrids by several hundred dollars per car and boost mileage by 10 per cent to make the ususally higher pricing of a hybrid worth it for the consumer.

Honda – which makes motorcycles, the Asimo human-shaped robot, as well as Accord sedans – will focus on a limited number of global models to achieve cost savings by producing more of each product, including hybrids, he said.

Kondo said Honda hopes to reach 500,000 hybrid sales around the world in the next year or so.

Kondo said there were some signs the U.S. auto downturn may be bottoming out, but he said a full recovery could not be expected for another couple of years.

Like other Japanese manufacturers, Honda has been battered by the global slump and the strong yen, which slashes overseas earnings. But it has fared relatively better than bigger rivals Toyota and GM.

Analysts say Honda can stage a recovery, partly because it has a strong motorcycle division. Honda has less excess production capacity in Japan, and has a better lineup of small energy-efficient models than its competitors, they say.

"Honda's earning power is proving resilient," said J.P. Morgan analyst Takaki Nakanishi. "Honda is reaping the benefits from the speed and diligence with which it is matching its corporate structure to the changing business environment.''

Kondo – who has worked for a decade in the U.S., about a quarter of his 40-year career at Honda – acknowledged that staying nimble was a challenge as Honda grew. What it needs to remember is its roots as a tiny newcomer in the U.S., he said.

When Honda started selling the Civic hatchback in the U.S. in 1973, it made a major error because it wasn't prepared for the car body rusting from antifreeze salts on winter roads.

It exchanged all the damaged parts, although that cost more than all of Honda's group profits then, and that won respect from dealers and customers, Kondo recalled.

"It may sound like we're trying to sound cool. But the reason Honda is where it's today is because we've always sided with the customer," he said.

Today, it sells and makes more cars in the U.S. than in Japan.

"We are an American company," Kondo said.
http://www.thestar.com/business/article/649134
Old 06-11-2009, 03:54 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't call Insight a "hit" in the U.S. 2k cars sold in May isn't a hit.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
Honda hopes to win in U.S. market

1st task : replace the outdated V6 engine family line.
2nd task : fix up the exterior styling department.
3rd .....
4th .....
Old 06-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Instructor

well i think if they did actually build a V8 engine and re design the style to fit the modern look. They actually surpass toyota in the future
Old 06-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Honestly, a V8 engine should now drop to 2nd on the list of Acura priorities as an emergency change in styling direction is badly needed.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Pinky all stinky

^ inside and out.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Pro

I think a new series of V6 engines is much more important than a V8 engine. It seems as though Honda has extracted nearly everything out of the venerable J series. A new V6 could be used across many models, whereas a V8 might be placed in one or two low-volume models.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Honestly, a V8 engine should now drop to 2nd on the list of Acura priorities as an emergency change in styling direction is badly needed.
Oh my, yes on both counts, though I would hope that they can multitask and do both simultaneously.

If they're gonna stick with the "Power Phlegm" grille, at least make it appealing, something like they did in the TSX .
Old 06-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I agree. The styling coming out of that company lately is best described as
Old 06-12-2009, 02:03 PM
2G TLX-S

I agree. With this current economy crisis, releasing state of the art modern V6 engines is about company survival, whereas releasing V8 engine(s) is about gaining fame and building image. First survive, then build image later.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
1st task : replace the outdated V6 engine family line.
2nd task : fix up the exterior styling department.
3rd .....
4th .....
first would be don't listen to to this guy on the first point........if it isn't broke, don't fix it and the J-series isn't broke.......and has legendary reliability.... they need to get their transmissions in order though

2nd task would to be returning to a more conservative styling.....it has been proven time and time again people do not want flashy daily drivers......
Old 06-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
it has been proven time and time again people do not want flashy daily drivers......
I don't know about that. The last gen BMW 7 series had its best sales years ever, even though the automotive press panned the Bangle butt and other styling cues. I also think the last gen Altima had flashy styling for the family sedan segment, and it was far more successful than any of its predecessors.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
first would be don't listen to to this guy on the first point........if it isn't broke, don't fix it and the J-series isn't broke.......and has legendary reliability.... they need to get their transmissions in order though

If listening to this guy on this point, no wonder GM is still using old-fashion pushrod engines. Meanwhile, other auto makers are releasing families after families of new engines and new engine technologies; just check where GM has ended up right now.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
If listening to this guy on this point, no wonder GM is still using old-fashion pushrod engines. Meanwhile, other auto makers are releasing families after families of new engines and new engine technologies; just check where GM has ended up right now.
GM's engines had nothing to do with where they are now and please don't talk about pushrod being old fashoned it makes you look stupid.......

Overhead Cam engines have been around since at least 1912 and fuel injection since the 1940s.

The problem with GM and every other american car makers is they tried to make the car as cheaply as possible in addition to not listening to the market place.

yeah honda should waste their money on making a new v6 family because some moron on a forum thinks it's the best thing they can do.........

F series engines are bullet proof often going 500K or more
J series engines are also bullet proof often going 500K or more
K series engines are yup you guessed it bullet proof going 500K or more
same can be said for A, B, C, and D series engines as well

honda NEEDS to fix their auto transmission problems before they even think about making a new engine family

7th gen accord sales were off when the car was introduced and they toned it down mid redesign and sales came back up

when Ford introduced the new Taurus in '96 it was a sales flop until it got a mid model year redesign and they got rid of all that oval crap

when Ford brought out the 500 to replace the taurus, it as a flop so they renamed it to taurus and guess what? it's doing better

Quick Reply: Honda: Sales, Marketing and Financial News