To those of you who have replaced the stock speakers>>

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
To those of you who have replaced the stock speakers>>

For those who replaced the stock (Pioneer?) speakers, did you have to buy a "summing device" or other electronic box that brings audio signal back to together, so it can then be split by the crossover in the speakers, rather than being pre-split by the head unit?

I want to replace the speakers but keep the head unit, and my installer is telling me I need to get this part and a new sub. He said Acura pre-compensates for the frequency range of the stock speakers at the head unit, and simply replacing the speakers may make the sound even worse than it is now.

Does anyone have experience with this? I'd like to just replace the speakers, but if I have to get a new sub and this summing unit, I'll do it.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
before you get flamed...

it'd help to let us know what year your nissan civic is

(sarcasm)
Old 11-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Racer

It's for an 08 TSX

This post got bumped from the TSX forum.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wong05tsx
before you get flamed...

it'd help to let us know what year your nissan civic is

(sarcasm)
Dammit!! I had my torch out and ready.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kixo
For those who replaced ........., I'll do it.
I believe that mercman or Reach would be the local TSX guru's and could answer this question with ease.

I think that the Pioneer amp in the TSX is crossing over your signal. This is the same for the BOSE amp in the CL. If you get the signal before the amp it should be a full range signal. Signal summing devices like the CLEANSWEEP and LC6 are used mostly for grabbing the signals from the output of the OEM amp and joining them together to create a useful full range signal. You should not need a summing unit but your installer might want to use one. It will work either way.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kixo: in a nutshell...

The TSX HU does a fair job of processing 4 channels outbound. Where the signals get split, pooly amplified, and noise added, is at the factory amp. (NOT the head unit as your poorly informed installer seems to think.) Replacing the speakers alone will not provide you with any meaningful result, as aftermarket speakers would be vastly underpowered by that stock amp, and you would have the problem you mentioned of utilizing the stock electronic crossovers, which are poor.

The 'proper' way to do a new audio system in the TSX involves utilizing the balanced signal output from the HU directly to an amp that is capable of processing it (such as the new JL slash series and some of the newer Rockfords), or utilizing a balun to take the signal from balanced to unbalanced to interface with legacy amps.

user "Mercman" sells a cable that is a lifesaver for these projects, it interfaces with the stock harness (ie: unplug it from the stock amp, and plug it into merc's cable, no cutting or splicing) and provides 4 high quality RCA runs to go straight to your new amp. From there, you get to pick your favorite amp, speakers, etc, and go absolutely nutz.

For instance, in my case I used a Mercman cable, balun, 'legacy' Phoenix Gold amp, and infinity kappa components up front and coaxials for the rear doors, as well as a fiberglass-enclosed sub in the trunk.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
This is from a PM I responded to recently and gives a general overview of the TSX audio system upgrade. Also check out the FAQ as a lot of this is posted there.

The TSX factory amp is 8 channels; each with 12 watts undistorted output power and contains the EQ for the system. Each driver in the system has its own amp output stage. The rear channels (rear door) are full range and the sub channels (rear deck) are feed from the rear (the rear input from the HU is split in the amp and pass through a LP filter). So the subs or so-called subs fade with the rear door speakers. The front door speakers are rolled off (I don’t recall at what frequency) so that the highs don’t interfere with the dash tweeters. The dash tweeters are feed highs only from the front channel HU outputs. The HU lineouts can be fed to an aftermarket amp and you can find details in the FAQ section.

Here are some options for you.

Start with a good pair of 6 1/2 component speakers for the front don’t skip here, speakers make the install.
Decide if you want front and rear sound or pure stereo “front only”. Most people use front and rear speakers but some choose front only to enhance the “sound stage”. If you go with front only then you don’t have to do the rear door or rear deck speakers.

Decide if you want a powered sub woofer in the trunk.

Sub woofer Yes, remove the rear 6x9s and upgrade the rear door speakers.

Sub woofer No, decide on rear deck or rear door speaker placement. Rear deck is easy and you can adapt the 6x9 opening to fit a round speaker. This is personal preference. I went with the rear deck 6x9 because of the bass response (helped by the trunk). I find that I don’t like the sound that much and fade to the front. I have the option of using the 6x9s for bass only by adjusting the xover on the rear amp channels. I’m currently running the front only and have the rears doing low only. The rear deck can rattle so don’t expect window-shattering bass for the deck locations. If you want a sub check out unclad4’s custom units.

Select your amp. Only amps with balanced differential inputs can be connected directly to the TSX HU. Direct connection avoids the EQ of the external amp as well as the added THD form the audio out stages.
4-channel to run the front and rear speakers with no sub
5-channel to run front and rear door speakers with a sub
4-channel with separate sub amp to run front and rear door speakers with a sub
2-channel for front only
3-channel for front only and a sub

Well you get the idea. Using a separate amp for the sub generally will yield more power hence annoys the neighbors but a single multi channel amp is easier to install.

You will also need door spacers. The 2003-2006 Honda accord spaces fit perfect and most 61/2s will fit without mods, or you can make your own out of wood for one that don’t or for a “high-end” install.. Check the FAQ about speaker upgrades the PN is listed.
To connect the speaker wires you can use the amp bypass harness for the 07 Civic available at crutchfield. This should fit the TSX 20 pin connector but I haven’t tried it yet. I did compare the pin out and it’s the same with the exception on one rear deck speaker (the civic has one TSX two). This is not a problem since the rear deck speaker can be wired right to the amp. It’s the door speakers that are a pain.
And last but not least my bypass harness and the JL or Rockford amps with Differential inputs. Check out the Kicker ZX line for balanced inputs also.

So basically as Reach said the skies the limit as long as you follow some basic guidelines you can have a killer system.

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/tsx-factory-amp-bypass-no-splice-adapter-harness-365854/
jeff
Old 11-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Merc! I'm pinning this at the top of the FAQ as "What are my options for upgrading the TSX audio system?"

Old 11-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Racer

Thanks everyone, this was truly helpful information. I am looking at Infinity Kappa or Focal K2 speakers powered through a JL Audio 300/4 or similar amp (maybe one from the slash series). No sub, though, as I need the trunk room.

I was considering MB Quart speakers, too, but have heard their quality has declined in recent years.

The connector from Mercman sounds like exactly what I need.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kixo
No sub, though, as I need the trunk room.
I know a top notch VENDOR that can help you with that.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:00 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2007 Acura TSX with stock navi...i was thinking about putting the following and would like some advise
1 Kicker comp 12"
Kicker Mono Channel ZX Amplifier
ported box

any recomendations ?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StayUp_420
I have a 2007 Acura TSX with stock navi...i was thinking about putting the following and would like some advise
1 Kicker comp 12"
Kicker Mono Channel ZX Amplifier
ported box

any recomendations ?
Yes. Don't do that. Contact the vendor who posted right above you first. You'll be glad you did.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Instructor

I've replaced my 6.5's, and tweeters with Alpine Type-S, and the 6x9's with Boston Acoustics. Sound is improved 100x better than stock. All running off stock amp and wiring. True, they are underpowered and will probably sound another 100x better if I replaced the stock amp. But the answer to your question is yes, replacing the speakers will improve the sound quality, and no you dont need any special parts. And from what I read when I did this, the Type-S are a good fit for the factory amp and will benefit from more power if you decide to replace the amp down the road. Also, the factory amp does have crossovers. From what I understand the door speakers are full range, the tweeters are highs, and the 6x9's are lows, so you don't need to add crossovers.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by White92
Yes. Don't do that. Contact the vendor who posted right above you first. You'll be glad you did.

the thing is he is in seatle and i am in Tampa fl .....i dont think hes gunna come to me.....but i would still like ur opinion on what sub/amp i should get
Old 08-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StayUp_420
the thing is he is in seatle and i am in Tampa fl .....i dont think hes gunna come to me.....but i would still like ur opinion on what sub/amp i should get
He can help you with advice on your set up. I ordered my sub enclusure from him and I live in Utah. You don't need to fill up your entire trunk with a sub box. Pick that guy's brain for a bit.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

this looks a bit old, but i'm interested in that adaptor that would provide me with high quality rca's to go to my aftermarket amp from the stock amp?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Advanced

Ive got a 2007 TSX that I want to invest a 1500 dollar sound system into. Could someone list out the parts that would make the best quality sound system for around 1500 ish dollars. Im in NC so not sure if anyone can install this for me (with good quality)

Thanks sooo sooo soo much in advance ( I know its a big request)
Old 04-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Advanced

start with a jbl ms-8, that way you can take the signal after it has passed thru the factory amp and you wont lose gps speech, bluetooth, or steering wheel controls
Old 04-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The GPS voice and Bluetooth are on the front channels from the HU so it doesn’t matter if you go before or after the factory amp. As far as the MS-8 goes it is a very expensive surround sound simulator and is not required or desired for an SQ build in the TSX. There are less expensive EQs out there if you want one.
Jeff
Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Advanced

ah I was wondering, it seems people who have bought the PAC harness have lost their bluetooth and gps speech, thanks for the info!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks merc! New to car audio and that will help me tons in the future
Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

Hello. I am new to car audio so any advice or correction would be greatly appreciated)
I want to add a sub woofer to my car. I am thinking to put PIONEER TS-W3002D2 and power it with MB Quart ONX1.1500D. I also thought of changing stock speakers and for that I need a 4 channel amp. Is it better to get two separate amps or one 5 channel to power everything (the sub I need is 1000 RMS and I could not find any amp that matches my criteria).
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 PM
PennState

Sorry for reviving this old thread but it might be helpful to future upgrad'ers.

I am looking at replacing just the front speakers. After a ton of research it seems like most speakers wont necessarily fit right out of the box but will need other parts. Please correct me if I am wrong, but these are what I need:

2 x 6.5 speakers (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ce-6032cf.html)

2 x spacers.

anything else? I heard people mention connectors but wasnt sure if that was only needed if used in combination with after-market amp.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2016, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

Rca connector

Hi mercman. This may be years later but i have a 2004 acura tsx and i was reading a post about you having a connector that replaces the old harness with yours to have high quality rca cables. See thing is i presently have a sub and an amp running but the amp uses rca s that come from a LOC. I just find the sound is horrible, many frequencys are louder than others and it sounds very "bubbly". I know for a fact thats its because of the rca's. So would you happen to have more of those connectors that i can buy from you? Thanks, Brandon.