RL: Has anyone replaced the Navi screen with aftermarket stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 09:51 PM
2005 Acura RL

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Has anyone replaced the Navi screen with aftermarket stereo?

i have a 2005 Acura RL and it has from what i am reading the classic navigation black screen. when installing the cd for the navi in the trunk i dont hear the unit spinning the disc so i am assuming its gone south. i have done some reading here on the site and it seems the only solution is to have the unit sent to alpine for a repair at a cost of around $400.

my thoughts were to just remove the navi screen and replace it with a aftermarker touch screen with navigation and was wondering if anyone has already attempted it. i know it would make 90% of the buttons on the dash obsolete but that really doesnt bother me. i guess the biggest challenge that i can see in doing it is being able to tap into the factory wiring for the speakers and everything.

also i noticed a "pc card" slot in the navi unit in the trunk and it has nothing in that slot, is there supposed to be something that goes in there?
Old 09-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
a few have
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ier-rl-776851/

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 09-15-2016, 06:11 AM
2005 Acura RL

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
thank you thoboi that first link had most of the information i was looking for. it seems he had to completely bypass the factory amps and install aftermarket amps and speakers and i was hoping i wouldnt have to get that involved in it. as far as the sound of the factory stereo and speakers i am completely happy with how it sounds thats why i was just wanting to tap into the factory amps and not have to add all the extra stuff to make it all work. in that post he pretty much just built a new system around the factory system.

i guess i may have to shell out the cash to just get the factory navigation system repaired, i just had the thought to replace the navigation screen because i already have a aftermarket touch screen unit laying around that i removed from another car i just sold.

the one question i still have is the last question in my original post about the PC CARD slot in the factory navigation unit in the trunk. is there supposed to be something that goes in that slot in order for the system to work properly?
Name:  GEDC0479_zpswd4gpz3x.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  333.6 KB