14 ILX 6 SPD While Downshifting Has Water Rushing Sound in Glove Box Area

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:56 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 ILX 6 SPD While Downshifting Has Water Rushing Sound in Glove Box Area

My ILX was making a water rushing sound when letting off gas while IN GEAR. Or if I'm outright downshifting into breaking situations or turns. If I move the stick to Neutral the rushing sound would virtually disappear immediately. Acura shop thought it was clogged AC lines when I first reported it. Claimed it was fixed but sound never went away and sometimes it is really loud coming from glove compartment area. As I remember this started happening after a tranny flush at 30K miles but never put two and two together till now. Now back at the shop for 4 days and the Acura Mechanic hears the sound (thankfully) but still unable to fix. They are keeping the car for now. Anyone else have this issue? I've searched everywhere and found nothing.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had the issue on my '13. I also had a transmission fluid change, around 37.5k miles. I'm not sure if the noise appeared before then or since. Anyways, I'm now at 65k miles and I get that sound occasionally and have just ignored it. Please update if you find out the cause.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Just did a google search not specific to our car about water sloshing sounds and it seems as if the most popular cause is being low on coolant. There are a few other possibilities (including clogged AC lines), of course.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
how are your fluid levels
Old 03-01-2017, 08:40 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for looking. It's pretty bad in my car...my kids always call it the water car. :-) It's definately every day, the only difference is the extent of the noise and amount of water rushing sound, sometimes a little and sometimes a lot.

The only thing I've nailed down is the immediate stop as soon as I take the shifter into Neutral. So is there like some sort of "sending unit" while downshifting that sends fluid?

I'll keep you up to date as soon as they find it. It's been a week tomorrow. Nice loaner though...a '16 TLX
Old 03-01-2017, 08:45 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
how are your fluid levels
Hi, as for levels, I always visually check in the engine compartment containers and stick the oil. Transmission has no stick, its a plug I think.
I never went under and pulled the tranny plug though but I'm assuming they did this at the Acura Dealer after I mentioned all of the above details.
The service rep called me a few times to keep me up to date and mentioned the Tech bleeding this, that, and the other thing, but with no success.
Crazy. I'm just glad the tech actually understands it's not the AC lines because sometimes these dealers make you think you're crazy and push you away.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:42 AM
5th Gear

Update a Few Weeks Later...So car is still in shop. Went from bleeding all systems, replacing the heater core, all gaskets, and now after an engineer from Acura visited the shop and decided it needs a new top half of the engine. So all new head going in this week. Not sure if that will solve the water sound but we'll see.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts

yay i guess!
Old 04-14-2017, 10:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rocket354
Just did a google search not specific to our car about water sloshing sounds and it seems as if the most popular cause is being low on coolant. There are a few other possibilities (including clogged AC lines), of course.
Well, I took my car in today to have it looked at. They weren't actually able to duplicate the sounds I was hearing pretty regularly (or course), but the mechanic was familiar with the symptom I described. He found air in the coolant lines and the reservoir was low. He bled the system and topped it up. Best of all? No charge. That's the second time I've been into an Acura dealer and had them do some work without even trying to charge, or even going through warranty (mine is off the b2b warranty, but still technically on the powertrain warranty).

I haven't heard the sound since, so hopefully it's really fixed. But I do have to say, Acura service is much better than any service I've gotten anywhere else.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
I've heard gushing water sounds in my 2013 ILX 6-speed since the day it was new. Sometimes sounds like the passenger door is full of water. Hasn't presented any issues though. 194,000 miles and still trouble free. Just had to replace the starter for the first time.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4cruizn
I've heard gushing water sounds in my 2013 ILX 6-speed since the day it was new. Sometimes sounds like the passenger door is full of water. Hasn't presented any issues though. 194,000 miles and still trouble free. Just had to replace the starter for the first time.
That sounds like the exact sound I was experiencing. I actually thought the passenger door was full of water, but the sounds didn't seem to coordinate with rain very well. You might want to mention it to your dealer/mechanic the next time you're in there because the two most common causes (clogged AC line, air in coolant system) are pretty easy fixes.

Mine was the second one (air in the coolant system) and since it's been fixed not only has the water noise gone away completely, but the engine is considerably less buzzy (still noticeable of course) and feels a bit more solid/stout. It really feels like brand new again.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

Not sure if this has been solved or not, but same exact issue, with identical symptoms, same exact car....Topped up coolant and the issue was resolved!