Why no inventory?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why no inventory?

I’ve been considering a 2024 TLX A spec but the the dealers around me in Northern California have very little inventory in any TLX. What’s going on? They are made in the US si would think there would be plenty. Is ordering it the way to go?
Old 05-06-2024, 11:58 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had heard that they slowed down production periodically as they tried to ramp up '24 production. I'm sure some supply chain reason is to blame, there were enough changes with the refresh that I could see that. Especially with the A-Spec getting all of the new wheel liners, thicker carpets, acoustic glass, grille, etc.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:22 PM
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts
A combination of factors;

Sales in 2024 have slowed to a crawl compared to 2023. Through April 1,576 versus 5,296 last year.

Production was slowed due to the slow sales and Honda closing one production line in Marysville to convert to electric vehicles. Through March 2024 production was 3,072 versus 7,770 in 2023. Honda would rather produce CRV, Accord and Integra at Marysville on the one line they now operate at the expense of TLX.

The decision appears to make perfect business sense-why produce a car that has lost most of its popularity. To clear out the 2023 inventory Acura had to put high incentives on the car. They do not want to overproduce the 2024 models only to have to discount them in the end to be able to sell them.

Sedans are a dying breed unfortunately and this is the consequence.

TLX is not a bad car, I leased one for three years, however it never really caught on and truth be told, who really knows the future for the model. There are no supply chain issues anymore for Honda, they are producing what is selling.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pens Fan:
mantan (05-08-2024), MarcoTLX (05-07-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 653 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Pens Fan

Sales in 2024 have slowed to a crawl compared to 2023. Through April 1,576 versus 5,296 last year.

Production was slowed due to the slow sales and Honda closing one production line in Marysville to convert to electric vehicles. Through March 2024 production was 3,072 versus 7,770 in 2023. Honda would rather produce CRV, Accord and Integra at Marysville on the one line they now operate at the expense of TLX.

The decision appears to make perfect business sense-why produce a car that has lost most of its popularity. To clear out the 2023 inventory Acura had to put high incentives on the car. They do not want to overproduce the 2024 models only to have to discount them in the end to be able to sell them.

TLX is not a bad car, I leased one for three years, however it never really caught on and truth be told, who really knows the future for the model. There are no supply chain issues anymore for Honda, they are producing what is selling.
The only thing with the theory of slow sales is, if we know there is no production, how can they meet or exceed sales?

The following 2 users liked this post by GhostTL09:
JTRADAR61 (05-09-2024), QuickStix26 (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 10:52 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts

It goes both way. There are buyers who are desperately looking for new TLX models to purchase, but can't locate one or have to wait for 10-12 months for one, due to low to zero inventory, and the sales number will reflect as such.

When there is nothing to buy, it is very obvious that the TLX sales number drops like a rock, when compared to amble TLX inventory last year.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:57 AM
Racer

I agree you can look at it both ways , however they did produce 3,072 cars in 2024 through March however sales through April are only 1,576. Any way you slice it demand is negligible unfortunately. Honda wants to sell cars and would produce more TLX if they believed the demand would be there without huge incentives.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:10 AM
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
It goes both way. There are buyers who are desperately looking for new TLX models to purchase, but can't locate one or have to wait for 10-12 months for one, due to low to zero inventory, and the sales number will reflect as such.

When there is nothing to buy, it is very obvious that the TLX sales number drops like a rock, when compared to amble TLX inventory last year.
This is unfortunate because articles like this are popping up as of a day ago: https://www.carscoops.com/2024/05/sa...xcept-for-one/
"Acura U.S. Sales Figures Suggest A Dim Future For Japanese Luxury And Sports Sedans" https://www.topspeed.com/acura-sales-april-2024/

I have put an order down on a 2024 TLX Type S end of February. 6-8 weeks was my estimate. 8 weeks later I was informed there were "factory issues" at which time I found the article that they are changing up the Marysville Ohio plant so they can make EVs. And that in 2025, Accord production is being moved to Indiana (no information on TLX). I'm told there are many others waiting for a TLX in dealerships in and around Chicago. It's sad to see my dealer with 0 inventory of any trim or model year of TLX and they are a large Acura dealer.

Is it really just a bunch of "fan boys" that want a TLX - but then you can't go and say "TLX's are not selling no one wants sedans!" when you don't make any to purchase....
Old 05-07-2024, 07:58 AM
6th Gear

It really is disappointing to see the lack of production, I'm sure dealerships are whining about slow moving inventory, etc. Here in the Northeast, the dealership I picked up my '24 Type S from currently has 11 TLX's, (zero Type S) 56 MDX's and 62 RDX's for perspective. Anyway... I hope your order is produced soon!
Old 05-07-2024, 08:00 AM
6th Gear

I think you're spot on here. Disappointing, but absolutely correct.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:04 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ChicagoMike
This is unfortunate because articles like this are popping up as of a day ago: https://www.carscoops.com/2024/05/sa...xcept-for-one/
"Acura U.S. Sales Figures Suggest A Dim Future For Japanese Luxury And Sports Sedans" https://www.topspeed.com/acura-sales-april-2024/

I have put an order down on a 2024 TLX Type S end of February. 6-8 weeks was my estimate. 8 weeks later I was informed there were "factory issues" at which time I found the article that they are changing up the Marysville Ohio plant so they can make EVs. And that in 2025, Accord production is being moved to Indiana (no information on TLX). I'm told there are many others waiting for a TLX in dealerships in and around Chicago. It's sad to see my dealer with 0 inventory of any trim or model year of TLX and they are a large Acura dealer.

Is it really just a bunch of "fan boys" that want a TLX - but then you can't go and say "TLX's are not selling no one wants sedans!" when you don't make any to purchase....

EDIT: Meant to quote you on my prior post. New to the forum, sorry.
It really is disappointing to see the lack of production, I'm sure dealerships are whining about slow moving inventory, etc. Here in the Northeast, the dealership I picked up my '24 Type S from currently has 11 TLX's, (zero Type S) 56 MDX's and 62 RDX's for perspective. Anyway... I hope your order is produced soon!
Old 05-07-2024, 08:05 AM
6th Gear

EDIT: Meant to quote you on my prior post. New to the forum, sorry.

I think you're spot on here. Disappointing, but absolutely correct.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:37 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostTL09
The only thing with the theory of slow sales is, if we know there is no production, how can they meet or exceed sales?
You discontinue the model, easy! haha

But honestly speaking I think the TLX is on its way out of the lineup entirely. To me its not good when a brand simplifies the trim levels down to 3 only, and then slowly produces them just after announcing a refresh. In fact our well known Asian/Korean Brand youtuber Kirk Kreifels talks about the TLX sales and the future of it and the future of Acura as a whole in his latest video

Last edited by MarcoTLX; 05-07-2024 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:47 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts
Mike - If you are willing to drive up to Brookfield, Wisconsin, they have a 24' Type S in stock. I purchased my 23' Type S there and they were great to work with. Not sure what your color combo preference is, but here is a white with red interior.

https://www.acurabrookfield.com/auto...d-wi/89419549/
Old 05-08-2024, 12:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad I bought my '23 when I did. Not a fan of the '24 digital cluster or the fact that they no longer offer the Apex Blue with black interior.
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 02:46 AM
Cruisin'

I'm cross shopping between TLX-S vs IS500 and I can go to several dealerships in socal that have IS500 in stock. Meanwhile the TLX-S refresh just hit all the youtubers and there are ZERO available in all of California. Basically Acura doesn't make any '24 TLX-S, claim no one wants them, and then stop production. Ridiculous.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:25 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by swttsx007
Mike - If you are willing to drive up to Brookfield, Wisconsin, they have a 24' Type S in stock. I purchased my 23' Type S there and they were great to work with. Not sure what your color combo preference is, but here is a white with red interior.

https://www.acurabrookfield.com/auto...d-wi/89419549/
I appreciate you! I wanted the Apex Blue with black interior (must have black interior) but since not available for 2024 I ordered Majestic Black so I can get the black interior, and since it's got black wheels for 2024 - the gloss black emblem packages would look awesome on the car!
Old 05-08-2024, 07:28 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by magbarn
I'm cross shopping between TLX-S vs IS500 and I can go to several dealerships in socal that have IS500 in stock. Meanwhile the TLX-S refresh just hit all the youtubers and there are ZERO available in all of California. Basically Acura doesn't make any '24 TLX-S, claim no one wants them, and then stop production. Ridiculous.
I know, seems like every couple of days a new TLX Type S review hits youtube - the same carbon metallic gray one. Then there are none to buy and none being built. It's very frustrating. My deadline to purchase is July 31st or I have no car so I will be forced to buy something else if that happens. The 2025 model year is around the corner already and I can't wait until fall (my current car needs $2200+ in emissions repairs and I just dropped $1200 on it to keep it safe to drive until the replacement).
Old 05-08-2024, 08:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 532 Likes on 342 Posts
Basically Acura doesn't make any '24 TLX-S, claim no one wants them, and then stop production. Ridiculous.
Honda/Acura has always done business this way, though. My favorite was when they would offer a manual but only in the stripped down model that was missing critical options so it wouldn't sell well and then they would say see no one wants this so we are going to discontinue it.
MarcoTLX (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 01:28 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ask your salesman if he/she can look into neighboring states to if they have what you're looking for and willing to sell. I got mine from reno with the color I want and I'm in socal. I did however, had to to a little more for transport.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by noclue02
Ask your salesman if he/she can look into neighboring states to if they have what you're looking for and willing to sell. I got mine from reno with the color I want and I'm in socal. I did however, had to to a little more for transport.
Call me old school but I've got misgivings about buying a car unseen without a test drive. That's what irritating about the IS500, most lexus dealers here won't allow an IS500 test drive only the anemic IS350. Unlike ChicagoMike, I don't have a deadline so I'm willing to wait.

Last edited by magbarn; 05-08-2024 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Call me old school but I've got misgivings about buying a car unseen without a test drive. That's what irritating about the IS500, most lexus dealers here won't allow an IS500 test drive only the anemic IS350. Unlike ChicagoMike, I don't have a deadline so I'm willing to wait.
Yeah it was a risky and kind of stupid move for me. I don't know if there are anything wrong with it or not, but since the car is brand new so i didnt worry as much. It has the color combo I want and it was the last day for acura promotion last month so took a risky chance...if anything, I figure I got warranty and they'll take care of it for me before driving out of the lot lol
Old 05-08-2024, 02:59 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Let me guess, in order for you to test drive you need to have approved financing or something else unethically similar just to test drive a Sports sedan? My Lexus dealer near me will allow me to test drive a LC500, (which is quite much more expensive than a IS500) no questions asked besides insurance and valid license
Old 05-08-2024, 11:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
The Acura dealership where I bought mine weren't letting anybody test drive any Type S (TLX or Integra). Test drove the TLX base or the Aspec, can't remember. Wasn't until they felt that I was going to walk that they let me test drive the Type S. Much to their delight, I purchased it as I fully intended to.
MarcoTLX (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 11:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The least on my 21 Tech is up next month. I was surprised when the Acura salesman I work with (great guy!) the A-spec I was interested in wasn't coming off the production line. I thought it was just hyperbole and they were slow to arrive...but sounds like they literally aren't coming.

It sounds like it may be the end of the line. While we all (obviously) love them on this forum, I've always been surprised how they never seemed to gain traction as a popular option in the marketplace. I've had many people compliment my TLX in the 3 years of ownership, but I rarely saw them around.

I owned a TL/TLX for 15 of the last 20 years. Twice I bought something else and regretted it quickly enough to get out quickly and get another Acura. The Gen 3 TL was the one I fell in love it with. It punched above its weight in regard to being everything you'd want in an entry sedan with a phenomenal price point. IMO, Acura lost their way a bit with Gen 4 (I skipped that one)...it got closer to the mark with the Gen 5. I thought the Gen 6 brought the best looking version of the series. But drivers have fallen out of love with sedans. And it's tough to get traction in a crowded market.....especially in the luxury division.

My salesguy pitched an Integra A-Spec Tech as a lease alternative if I wanted to move to another lease. But it's just a bit too small and just some parts (infotainment, some of the interior) felt like enough of a downgrade that I'd regret it. I'll hate it if it's the end of the line for the TLX line. I'm leaning heavily towards buying my TLX at the end of the lease. The residual value is low enough to make it a great buy...especially with the miles on it.

Not sure where I'll go when I'm ready to buy again down the road.

The following 2 users liked this post by mantan:
MarcoTLX (05-09-2024), PRP5150 (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 02:34 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Honda/Acura has always done business this way, though. My favorite was when they would offer a manual but only in the stripped down model that was missing critical options so it wouldn't sell well and then they would say see no one wants this so we are going to discontinue it.
Two reasons.

Firstly, back in the old days, most buyers bought the stick-shifted Honda/Acura vehicles (in particularly Civic's and Integra's) for the purpose of racing them in autocross events. Since the vehicles were used for racing, they were fully stripped down for minimum weight, because the lightest car with manual tranny is always the fastest. As a result, it sounded kind of stupid to pay maximum price for a fully-loaded stick-shift Honda/Acura, and to have it stripped down to the equivalent of a base car after sales.

Lastly, also back in the good old days, almost all entry level base-trim Honda/Acura came with manual tranny. This was the cheapest model trim for those frugal buyers who wanted into the Honda/Acura auto brand. Auto tranny was a couple-thousand dollars option and was considered to be a "luxury" add-on. As such, fully loaded trims always came with auto tranny, since the target buyers were not the frugal ones.

Old 05-09-2024, 08:18 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mantan
The least on my 21 Tech is up next month. I was surprised when the Acura salesman I work with (great guy!) the A-spec I was interested in wasn't coming off the production line. I thought it was just hyperbole and they were slow to arrive...but sounds like they literally aren't coming.

It sounds like it may be the end of the line. While we all (obviously) love them on this forum, I've always been surprised how they never seemed to gain traction as a popular option in the marketplace. I've had many people compliment my TLX in the 3 years of ownership, but I rarely saw them around.

I owned a TL/TLX for 15 of the last 20 years. Twice I bought something else and regretted it quickly enough to get out quickly and get another Acura. The Gen 3 TL was the one I fell in love it with. It punched above its weight in regard to being everything you'd want in an entry sedan with a phenomenal price point. IMO, Acura lost their way a bit with Gen 4 (I skipped that one)...it got closer to the mark with the Gen 5. I thought the Gen 6 brought the best looking version of the series. But drivers have fallen out of love with sedans. And it's tough to get traction in a crowded market.....especially in the luxury division.

My salesguy pitched an Integra A-Spec Tech as a lease alternative if I wanted to move to another lease. But it's just a bit too small and just some parts (infotainment, some of the interior) felt like enough of a downgrade that I'd regret it. I'll hate it if it's the end of the line for the TLX line. I'm leaning heavily towards buying my TLX at the end of the lease. The residual value is low enough to make it a great buy...especially with the miles on it.

Not sure where I'll go when I'm ready to buy again down the road.
Well you could always pick up a lightly used TLX Type-S since I truly believe this to be Acura's last hoorah for the gasoline powered sedans. Much to my chagrin you can pick up a low-ish mile used model for mid to low 40s depending on the model year

Not sure you could lease it but there may be some way to lease an Acura CPO TLX-S
vhtran (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 08:24 AM
Racer

I somehow feel Acura has lost the spark they once had and is bordering on stale in fact.. There seems to be a big drop off in postings on all of the Acurazine threads regardless of model. Colors are being shared on all Acura/Honda lines (how many Urban Grey cars can they build and not have everyone let out a collective yawn). Choices of exterior colors is very limited and several interior colors are no longer offered with some colors. It is one thing to be frugal and another to turn off your long time customers. For those of us that prefer the brand and have great memories of the exciting and innovative models they used to introduce, and are now considering alternatives, it should be concerning to the management of Honda.
MarcoTLX (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:11 AM
Pro

Received 535 Likes on 263 Posts
Don't forget the market has changed and the lease rates are high on a Type S plus zero discounts and some dealers still act like they are doing you a favour by test driving it. There's a grey S sitting on the lot close to me for months now and no takers. That never happened in the past. Everything is so damn expensive these days. Good days for dealers are OVER. Slash the rates and start discounting the inflated MSRP prices or go out of business!
MarcoTLX (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:21 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts
I would look into the Type-S if financial allowed. I agreed with @MarcoTLX . Car manufacturers are shifting to hybrid vehicles.
MarcoTLX (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 532 Likes on 342 Posts
Two reasons.

Firstly, back in the old days, most buyers bought the stick-shifted Honda/Acura vehicles (in particularly Civic's and Integra's) for the purpose of racing them in autocross events. Since the vehicles were used for racing, they were fully stripped down for minimum weight, because the lightest car with manual tranny is always the fastest. As a result, it sounded kind of stupid to pay maximum price for a fully-loaded stick-shift Honda/Acura, and to have it stripped down to the equivalent of a base car after sales.

Lastly, also back in the good old days, almost all entry level base-trim Honda/Acura came with manual tranny. This was the cheapest model trim for those frugal buyers who wanted into the Honda/Acura auto brand. Auto tranny was a couple-thousand dollars option and was considered to be a "luxury" add-on. As such, fully loaded trims always came with auto tranny, since the target buyers were not the frugal ones.
True but some of the examples I was thinking of would be what happened w/ the TSX, where you could get a Tech manual but that was stopped. Then the SE trim came out and was better looking and more in line with what the TSX was going for (sporty sedan) but you couldn't get that in a Tech whether you went with manual or auto; the Accord had similar shortcomings with its trims also.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:33 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Get the IS500, one of the last V8s around. IMHO it's better looking than the TL-S and has the Lexus reliability. The IS any model has good resale and high demand. Looking to replace my '08 TL-S with the IS500 in the near future as the new TL-S just doesn't do anything for me. Not a fan of the long hood design, push button shifter and the auto stop/start. I've been an Acura fan for many years but not so much now.
mantan (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 04:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dj5
Get the IS500, one of the last V8s around. IMHO it's better looking than the TL-S and has the Lexus reliability. The IS any model has good resale and high demand. Looking to replace my '08 TL-S with the IS500 in the near future as the new TL-S just doesn't do anything for me. Not a fan of the long hood design, push button shifter and the auto stop/start. I've been an Acura fan for many years but not so much now.
Funny, I'm the exact opposite. I have been a Honda fan for over 30 years. Absolutely loved Acura in the late 80's - mid 90's. Had an Integra and a Vigor, unfortunately couldn't afford the Legend. Then, other than the NSX and 3rd gen TL, I couldn't have been any less interested in Acura. Now, with the latest gen Integra and TLX I feel that Acura has finally found their way again.

Unfortunately, it seems like it will be short lived.
ESHBG (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 05:35 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by PRP5150
Funny, I'm the exact opposite. I have been a Honda fan for over 30 years. Absolutely loved Acura in the late 80's - mid 90's. Had an Integra and a Vigor, unfortunately couldn't afford the Legend. Then, other than the NSX and 3rd gen TL, I couldn't have been any less interested in Acura. Now, with the latest gen Integra and TLX I feel that Acura has finally found their way again.

Unfortunately, it seems like it will be short lived.
Me too. My entire family have been Honda/Acura fans for over 30 years. However, there is one problem. From the debut of the Acura brand 38 years ago and up to today, there is still no viable upgrade path for the loyal Acura fans, who have grown up and made more money, and want to move up to a bigger and more luxury flagship ICE vehicle (than the Legend/RL/RLX class cars) that packs >400 hp. This is a really sad fact and even loyal Honda/Acura fans have no choice but to move over to the European brands.

The following 5 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
ESHBG (05-10-2024), mantan (05-09-2024), MarcoTLX (05-09-2024), Pens Fan (05-10-2024), PRP5150 (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 06:13 PM
Car Enthusiast

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts
This should take care of the power

Last edited by vhtran; 05-09-2024 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Large photo
The following 3 users liked this post by vhtran:
Edward'TLS (05-10-2024), JTRADAR61 (05-10-2024), MarcoTLX (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:09 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

there is still no viable upgrade path for the loyal Acura fans, who have grown up and made more money, and want to move up to a bigger and more luxury flagship ICE vehicle (than the Legend/RL/RLX class cars) that packs >400 hp. This is a really sad fact and even loyal Honda/Acura fans have no choice but to move over to the European brands.
This is the one right here, basically the TLX Type-S is the fastest and baddest looking Acura you can buy before considering the $120k+ 2017-2022 NSX/NSX-S.

I am a great example, as I have went from a 2016 Acura to a 2023 top trim level Acura model in the span of 5 years (I even learned to drive on a 2009 Acura TL). However I was making more and more money as the years went by. Now, I have recently landed a job in the industry I always wanted to work in and am making quite a bit more money than what I was making when I bought my (current) TLX Type-S. I love this car so it's hard for me to give it up, but it has its shortcomings, and those shortcoming have me looking at the "German Persuasion" if you will.

However I am just looking right now so as to prevent myself from falling victim to "lifestyle creep" but one can only look in wonderment but for so long.
Edward'TLS (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vhtran
This should take care of the power
RS6 Avant is gorgeous!
JTRADAR61 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
Well you could always pick up a lightly used TLX Type-S since I truly believe this to be Acura's last hoorah for the gasoline powered sedans. Much to my chagrin you can pick up a low-ish mile used model for mid to low 40s depending on the model year

Not sure you could lease it but there may be some way to lease an Acura CPO TLX-S
I'll probably just keep my 21 Tech for awhile and at some point buy a lightly used 24 A-Spec as my final Acura sedan. Then try to figure out where I go from there. I may finally go the crossover route.
MarcoTLX (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 84 Posts
I went German once; that BMW was the worst vehicle I've ever owned. I'll never buy anything from the VW group after dieselgate revealed the extent to which that corporation, at the highest levels, would intentionally go out of their way to lie, cheat, and steal. So that leaves MB and Porsche, but neither has any compelling products right now (YMMV).

I also looked at British and Italian brands. I really liked the Aston Martin DBX707, but ultimately didn't think it was worth $300k. Range Rover's reliability numbers make that whole brand a no-go, and I don't trust Jaguar now that it's owned by Tata. I seriously considered the Maserati Grecale Trofeo, but am uncomfortable with the Stellantis parent company and the fact that there's no dealer closer than 30 miles of me.

The American "luxury" brands are disappointing, and I had high hopes for Genesis until I had one as a rental car. So that leaves the Japanese. Infiniti is a joke, so we're down to Lexus and Acura. Unfortunately, Lexus vehicles have become butt-ugly as of late.

So I picked up Acura's self-proclaimed flagship, the MDX. I got a Type S Advance, and am pretty happy with it so far (we're on day 5 of ownership so far). There's been at least one Acura in my garage for the past 27 years, so I suppose I am a "fanboi", and am comfortable with the way they lay out interiors, set up controls, etc. Could I afford a more expensive car? Sure. If Acura offered a more expensive car that provided value for the price, would I have bought it? Yes, probably. But to consider jumping ship to another (IMO inferior) brand just because Acura doesn't have a higher-horsepower option or a more prestigious logo is silly, I think.
The following 3 users liked this post by DJ Iceman:
22TypeS (05-10-2024), JM2010 SH-AWD (05-10-2024), JTRADAR61 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 02:59 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman

So I picked up Acura's self-proclaimed flagship, the MDX. I got a Type S Advance, and am pretty happy with it so far (we're on day 5 of ownership so far). There's been at least one Acura in my garage for the past 27 years, so I suppose I am a "fanboi", and am comfortable with the way they lay out interiors, set up controls, etc. Could I afford a more expensive car? Sure. If Acura offered a more expensive car that provided value for the price, would I have bought it? Yes, probably. But to consider jumping ship to another (IMO inferior) brand just because Acura doesn't have a higher-horsepower option or a more prestigious logo is silly, I think.
I'm a silly old man. All my life, I have been driving mainly Honda and Acura vehicles. The highest output one is my latest Acura purchase : the current generation 355hp TLX Type-S. Mind you, Honda/Acura makes nothing but great handling vehicles with excellent long-term reliability, and these are some of the main reasons why I am a die hard fan. But even the most premium, highest performance flagship Acura (other than the discontinued NSX) is way down in hp when compared to those from the high performance divisions of European luxury brands, such as Audi RS, BMW M, MB AMG, etc.

My dream has always been wanting to drive a high power ICE vehicle that sits at least 4 people, with lots and lots of torque to accelerate, but no charging cable to worry about. So I waited, and waited, and waited, for the last 10 years for Acura to come up with something like my dream car and >400hp. But nop. Nothing from Acura.

Then I tell myself. Fxxk it. Life is short. If I don't fulfill my dream now, I may never will. My next car may be my last car I buy, especially after having gone through and survived the Pandemic. I waited 2 more years for the MDX Type-S to come out, but the Type-S didn't cut it, and I bought myself a 467hp 2024 Cayenne S. The exhaust rumbling sound of the twin-turbo V8, the endless dose of instant torque pull, the excellent handling characteristic, and the luxurious European interior all make me feel my every cent well spent on my dream vehicle.

However, if Acura had made available a 4/5 seater NSX for purchase, I would have run to the dealership in my pyjamas to order one, for any price.

The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
ESHBG (05-10-2024), MarcoTLX (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 08:46 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
I went German once; that BMW was the worst vehicle I've ever owned.
Now I am gonna play advocate here and ask you if it was a modern BMW from recent years, say 2018+ newer?

I will say the BMWs have became more reliable than they used to be in recent years, still over engineered which can be a bad thing when it comes to long-term ownership for BMWs. Haven't heard many issues from those who own a B58 powered BMW. But you did state that "YMMV" so what you experienced may have just been a car built on a Friday and not a Monday at the factory ya know?

Quick Reply: Why no inventory?