Electric Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electric Parking Brake

To all those with Advance Package and Electric Parking Brake:

In the past, I have rarely used the Parking Brake or only when in an incline.

With this new TLX it seems the electric parking break is much more user friendly and useful.

According to the manual, if stopped in traffic, and in drive, you can engage the brake... then to resume driving just tap the accelerator. (Which is similar to Brake Hold).

I was just wondering if anyone else uses the Parking Break in normal everyday situations?

Mike
Old 12-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Im pretty sure all models have the parking brake, not just advance package

Why would you put on the parking brake in traffic? Just turn on the brake hold.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:31 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Yeah, I think the OP is a little confused. What you use to keep you stopped at lights and in traffic without having to keep pressing the brake pedal is Brake Hold (the little button behind the Parking Brake button).

The Parking Brake is intended to keep your car from rolling when parked, and it is the larger button marked "Park".

Old 12-28-2015, 09:48 PM
Pro

I am not confused at all.

I do not always engage Brake Hold especially in stop and go.

The parking break seems to act as a "park" gear in a way. That is why you can pull it,without being in Park and then it released when you accelerate without doing anything else....

And if Brake hold is on too long it actually will come on.

It just seems more useful than the old parking break was.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:52 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
It is certainly easier to use. I've never tried putting mine in drive with the park brake engaged, however (nor would I). I use the park brake for its intended use of taking pressure off the parking pawl within the transmission. I drove a 6MT TL-S for years before I went with the 9AT, so using a parking brake is second nature to me.

Brake Hold works just fine in tight city traffic and it's easier to engage. Although I've used Low Speed Follow instead under those stop-and-go conditions.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by youngTL
It is certainly easier to use. I've never tried putting mine in drive with the park brake engaged, however (nor would I). I use the park brake for its intended use of taking pressure off the parking pawl within the transmission. I drove a 6MT TL-S for years before I went with the 9AT, so using a parking brake is second nature to me.

Brake Hold works just fine in tight city traffic and it's easier to engage. Although I've used Low Speed Follow instead under those stop-and-go conditions.
It says in the manual it is OK to have just parking brake in and go into any gear without releasing it. It's under a section called automatic parking brake release or something like that.

Same way you can turn the engine off and the car goes into park automatically.

Again, talking about the advance with electronic shifting.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
It is certainly easier to use. I've never tried putting mine in drive with the park brake engaged, however (nor would I).
What about engaging the parking brake (while in D) and then shifting to P? I've always considered the proper way to engage the parking brake would be the following:

When I start the car, shift P to D, disengage the electronic parking brake, drive away.

When I park the car, engage the electronic parking brake, shift D to P, turn off the car.

Right?

Last edited by TLXVanquish; 12-29-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Pro

Yes.

Stop car

Pull up parking brake.

Shift to park. Or just press engine button which automatically puts car in park
Learn leaving, go to drive then either disengage parking brake or just tap the gas which automatically disengages it.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by TLXVanquish
What about engaging the parking brake (while in D) and then shifting to P? I've always considered the proper way to engage the parking brake would be the following:

When I start the car, shift P to D, disengage the electronic parking brake, drive away.

When I park the car, engage the electronic parking brake, shift D to P, turn off the car.

Right?
Right. That way you aren't putting any (or minimal) stress on the parking pawl.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I always engage the e-brake before shifting into P to prevent transmission from rolling slightly, especially if on an incline.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I sampled the awesome sound it makes when you deploy it and used it in a track.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:58 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
MikeRadio is correct.

BRAKE HOLD will hold the car (once completely stopped) EVERY time you bring the car to a stop.

However, you can emulate BRAKE HOLD 'manually' by using the E PARKING BRAKE. When you stop the car, flip the E PARKING BRAKE on. The E PARKING BRAKE will disengage once you tap the accelerator pedal (and the tranny is in Drive). Using this 'manual' method the brake hold will only occur when you choose instead of EVERY time the car is brought to a complete stop.

http://m.acura.com/pdf/owners/2014/R...RLX_BRAKES.pdf
Old 01-24-2016, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
MikeRadio is correct.

BRAKE HOLD will hold the car (once completely stopped) EVERY time you bring the car to a stop.

However, you can emulate BRAKE HOLD 'manually' by using the E PARKING BRAKE. When you stop the car, flip the E PARKING BRAKE on. The E PARKING BRAKE will disengage once you tap the accelerator pedal (and the tranny is in Drive). Using this 'manual' method the brake hold will only occur when you choose instead of EVERY time the car is brought to a complete stop.

http://m.acura.com/pdf/owners/2014/R...RLX_BRAKES.pdf
Or you can just modulate Brake Hold with the brake pedal the same way you can with Auto-Idle-Stop. Gentle pressure won't engage it.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:11 AM
Cruisin'

anyone know why sometimes when i park, hit the P button, the parking brake gets applied?
Old 04-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by novs25
anyone know why sometimes when i park, hit the P button, the parking brake gets applied?

Sometimes when you turn the car off and the car thinks the parking brake should be applied it does so automatically. So also does it alot when your in DRIVE and just turn it off directly without putting it in park first it usually will engage the parking brake automatically.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:57 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by novs25
If you have engaged the Brake Hold, the parking brake will be applied automatically when you turn off the car.

This is one of the things I wish Acura would change ... I use the Brake Hold all the time, and i don't always want the parking brake applied. I OFTEN go to back out of a parking spot only to have the parking brake stop me. I have to look down and manually disengage the parking brake to go. Annoying.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
If you have engaged the Brake Hold, the parking brake will be applied automatically when you turn off the car.

This is one of the things I wish Acura would change ... I use the Brake Hold all the time, and i don't always want the parking brake applied. I OFTEN go to back out of a parking spot only to have the parking brake stop me. I have to look down and manually disengage the parking brake to go. Annoying.

As long as your doors are closed, and your seatbelt on- when you put the car in reverse and tap the gas pedal, the electronic parking brake is automatically released. No need to manually release it.
At least that's the way it works in my car!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by NJToyMan
As long as your doors are closed, and your seatbelt on- when you put the car in reverse and tap the gas pedal, the electronic parking brake is automatically released. No need to manually release it.
At least that's the way it works in my car!
This works the same way in my car but it takes a little gas to force it to disengage and I don't like the resistance I feel on the rear brakes before it disengages. I wonder if doing that as a habit will damage the rear brakes. I have a 'two finger salute' I use. I hit the START/STOP button to turn the car on, then I use my index finger to pull back on the R button to go into Reverse and hit the Parking Brake release with my thumb. Takes less than a second.

I really like the push button shifter. Took me a few days to get used to it, but now it is faster then a traditional shiftier and opens up more space in the center console area.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:32 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
This works the same way in my car but it takes a little gas to force it to disengage and I don't like the resistance I feel on the rear brakes before it disengages. I wonder if doing that as a habit will damage the rear brakes. I have a 'two finger salute' I use. I hit the START/STOP button to turn the car on, then I use my index finger to pull back on the R button to go into Reverse and hit the Parking Brake release with my thumb. Takes less than a second.

I really like the push button shifter. Took me a few days to get used to it, but now it is faster then a traditional shiftier and opens up more space in the center console area.
Yeah, there is enough resistance in reverse that I don't want to force it. It's like you're doing exactly what the car doesn't want you to do.

Going forward is different - it's almost like using the brake hold.