2015 tlx steering wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
A TSB should be released soon, as Honda released TSB 15-023 - Rubbing or Groaning from the Driver’s Front Airbag Area today for the Accord, Accord Hybrid, and Crosstour models. The noise comes from within the horn plate assembly.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life
A TSB should be released soon, as Honda released TSB 15-023 - Rubbing or Groaning from the Driver’s Front Airbag Area today for the Accord, Accord Hybrid, and Crosstour models. The noise comes from within the horn plate assembly.
Diagnosis for my issue is the airbag. There are 3 springs on the back of the airbag. When airbag was removed the "twang" went away. Airbag is in order and will be replaced.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LAMike240
Diagnosis for my issue is the airbag. There are 3 springs on the back of the airbag. When airbag was removed the "twang" went away. Airbag is in order and will be replaced.
Thank you so much for letting me know. I'm headed in tomorrow for service. I'm guessing they will have to keep the car . I dread it cause I'm 2 hours away from the dealer. Hopefully with this specific info they will take care of it for me! It does sound so much like a spring now that u mentioned it.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dealgirl19
Thank you so much for letting me know. I'm headed in tomorrow for service. I'm guessing they will have to keep the car . I dread it cause I'm 2 hours away from the dealer. Hopefully with this specific info they will take care of it for me! It does sound so much like a spring now that u mentioned it.
You're welcome Dealgirl. I'm lucky I guess. I have 2 dealers within 10 minutes in either direction. Where abouts are you?
Old 05-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Advanced

In southeastern TN. Wow you are lucky! There is one dealer about 1.5 hours from me but I bought from the other one and I prefer to go back there with my problems lol.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
2 hours to your dealer, wow!

Before getting my TLX I had considered an Audi but one of the factors against them was they were 45 minutes away. My Acura dealer is 7 minutes driving and 35 minutes walking (which I usually do except in winter). I have been to them 7 times (3 for winter/summer tires) since purchase and have not yet had my first service, but still very happy with the car
Old 05-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quandry
2 hours to your dealer, wow!

Before getting my TLX I had considered an Audi but one of the factors against them was they were 45 minutes away. My Acura dealer is 7 minutes driving and 35 minutes walking (which I usually do except in winter). I have been to them 7 times (3 for winter/summer tires) since purchase and have not yet had my first service, but still very happy with the car
Yeah it's really inconvenient to get there so that's why I don't want any run around and want to have all my ducks in a row when I go lol. We live in a very rural area so we have to drive for just about everything but not 2 hours lol. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!
Old 05-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Good luck with your service. A good dealer will appreciate your situation and look after you well.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Racer

Yeah it's really inconvenient to get there so that's why I don't want any run around and want to have all my ducks in a row when I go lol. We live in a very rural area so we have to drive for just about everything but not 2 hours lol. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!
Let us know what the result is on your end. One thing I don't understand is when someone posts a problem, but never follows up with the resolution they got.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I hear ya....It is like chopping the end out of a movie! (lol)
The following users liked this post:
LAMike240 (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 04:44 PM
Advanced

I dropped it off today and decided to leave it with them this week. The tech heard the noise and was curious about the airbag. He said he would call CA and see if they had record of this being an issue before he started taking stuff apart. LAMike, what dealer do you use? Maybe I could reference them for him and he could give them a call. I will keep this updated for sure! I hate when there are non resolutions! Kills me!
Old 05-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Racer

I dropped it off today and decided to leave it with them this week. The tech heard the noise and was curious about the airbag. He said he would call CA and see if they had record of this being an issue before he started taking stuff apart. LAMike, what dealer do you use? Maybe I could reference them for him and he could give them a call. I will keep this updated for sure! I hate when there are non resolutions! Kills me!
Acura of Thousand Oaks
Old 05-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Well the dealer called and said that it's the airbag according to the Acura help line and their diagnostics of removing the bag and the sound disappearing. Waiting on a new one to arrive at the dealer tomorrow hopefully and will pick up Saturday! I'm really hoping this fixes it!!! Thanks for everyone's help. Referencing this forum to the tech was helpful for him to know where to start!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:12 PM
Racer

Well the dealer called and said that it's the airbag according to the Acura help line and their diagnostics of removing the bag and the sound disappearing. Waiting on a new one to arrive at the dealer tomorrow hopefully and will pick up Saturday! I'm really hoping this fixes it!!! Thanks for everyone's help. Referencing this forum to the tech was helpful for him to know where to start!
My airbag was supposed to be overnighted last Friday, but Acura sent it via their standard internal shipper, thus it arrived today.

I picked up my car Monday as I wanted to drive it. They are replacing it tomorrow along with a new steering wheel as it was damaged upon dis-assembly. Not upset at all as they are taking care of it.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:47 AM
Advanced

My airbag was supposed to be overnighted last Friday, but Acura sent it via their standard internal shipper, thus it arrived today.

I picked up my car Monday as I wanted to drive it. They are replacing it tomorrow along with a new steering wheel as it was damaged upon dis-assembly. Not upset at all as they are taking care of it.
Oh no! I'm worried about my steering wheel having scratches etc. My tech knows that I'm completely OCD so hopefully he will be extra careful lol. Let me know how it goes when u get the new one installed. What part of the steering wheel was damaged?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Racer

[QUOTE=Dealgirl19;15445496 What part of the steering wheel was damaged?[/QUOTE]

The thin chrome strip to the left of the airbag cover.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Advanced

well sounds like I'm going to be in the same boat with shipping. Since airbags are considered explosive, they have to be shipped ground I just found out so no install this week My car is 2 hours away (remember?!) so I can't go pick it up so I'm stuck with the loaner another week it looks like They gave me a 2015 RDX and it's nice but not my TLX!
Old 05-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Racer

well sounds like I'm going to be in the same boat with shipping. Since airbags are considered explosive, they have to be shipped ground I just found out so no install this week My car is 2 hours away (remember?!) so I can't go pick it up so I'm stuck with the loaner another week it looks like They gave me a 2015 RDX and it's nice but not my TLX!
I'm in a RLX...base model.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

...My tech knows that I'm completely OCD
Hello....Have we met?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by weather
Hello....Have we met?
Haha! It's a rough world huh?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Did they get it replaced?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Haha! It's a rough world huh?
Is it ever!! People think it is funny and all fun and games but can be a curse at times!
Old 05-22-2015, 10:34 PM
Racer

Did they get it replaced?
Picked up car this afternoon. Steering wheel and airbag replaced. So far so good.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life
Thanks! I will be looking for your notice.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Picked up car this afternoon. Steering wheel and airbag replaced. So far so good.
That's great news! Hope I have the same results!
Old 05-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by weather
Is it ever!! People think it is funny and all fun and games but can be a curse at times!
For sure. I've drove my tech nuts cause I'm worried about door dings and it sitting outside all weekend. He sent me this picture yesterday and said "put her on the top bunk for the weekend" he's a good guy lol
Attached Thumbnails 2015 tlx steering wheel noise-image.jpg  
Old 05-23-2015, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ What if your TLX is afraid of heights?!?! That would worry me *lol* J/K
Old 05-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Racer

For sure. I've drove my tech nuts cause I'm worried about door dings and it sitting outside all weekend. He sent me this picture yesterday and said "put her on the top bunk for the weekend" he's a good guy lol
Good thing you don't have earthquakes in TN.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Advanced

Haha! Yea no earthquakes please. And when he sent me that pic I said "is that safe?!" He said uhh yes but where do u want it?! Haha. I'm so annoying I'm sure. I told him on the lift was fine! Lol.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Advanced

Well my worst nightmare came true. Picked up my car and the noise was gone. But after a few days of driving a worse Noise started in the airbag area. And this one is all the time. I think some of the wires or plastic clips have gotten moved around and are rattling. I have no idea how they will fix this. I'm gonna wait a few weeks and see if it gets worse before I take it in. But this was my fear when I took it in. I was worried of creating a problem when trying to fix one
Old 06-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I am sorry to hear that. I am like you and I always worry that by trying to solve one problem, I create another one. On my 4G, I had a rattle in the sunroof area and while there was a TSB on it, the idea of having to remove the roof liner and such, I decided to just put up with the noise.

I hope you will be able to get it resolved....
Old 06-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Racer

Sorry to hear that Deal Girl...mine has been fine since replacement.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone else Having an issue with their steering wheel making a strange noise when you cut it deep?
Here's a video of what I hear

http://youtu.be/vunhIuN4NCE

Thanks!
I have the exact same noise in my steering wheel. Also have a slight rattle behind the horn plate when traveling over expansion joints and such. I doubt that the two are related but I suppose i will have both checked out. I wasn't too concerned about the "springy" groan in the wheel at low speeds or when stopped as I could barely hear it. Then again, if it's a safety issue with the air bag it won't hurt to have it checked while they are dealing with the rattle.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay so I just brought my car in for service and picked it up today and they fixed the steering wheel noise. The feedback from the service tech is that it might be a wearing issue with the cable reel/clock spring in the steering wheel. They replaced it and my steering wheel (due to stitching issues) and the noise is now gone. He noted that it might come back so I'll keep an eye on it and let you guys know.

So if this is happening to you please direct your service tech/dealership to replace your cable reel/clock spring in your steering wheel.

Hope this helps!!
Old 06-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Racer

I've gone about 2k miles since they replaced my airbag and steering wheel. So far no issues.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:56 PM
Cruisin'

Finally got my car to the dealer for routine service and had them look at the steering wheel "spring" noise. They immediately ordered a replacement cable reel assembly. It was installed today and seems to have resolved the noise as well as the rattle under the horn plate. We'll see how it goes over time, though.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For the ones that have had the noise issue with the steering wheel, was the fix temporary, or still ok now? I've noticed a clicking/ticking sound when I turn the steering wheel slowly left or right. Kind of sound like and old man's knee bending. Going to take it in when I return for the holiday's and hopefully it's a similar fix to what you have all mentioned.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:34 PM
Racer

Still good.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bottlerocket
For the ones that have had the noise issue with the steering wheel, was the fix temporary, or still ok now? I've noticed a clicking/ticking sound when I turn the steering wheel slowly left or right. Kind of sound like and old man's knee bending. Going to take it in when I return for the holiday's and hopefully it's a similar fix to what you have all mentioned.
The exact noise returned a few days after the cable reel assembly was replaced. It's not that annoying to me so I'm just going to leave it alone until my next scheduled service. I doubt that it is a safety issue but rather just one of the many corners that Acura has cut for this model.

The noise I hear is a creaky type noise, sort of like a spring being stretched.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Simons
The exact noise returned a few days after the cable reel assembly was replaced. It's not that annoying to me so I'm just going to leave it alone until my next scheduled service. I doubt that it is a safety issue but rather just one of the many corners that Acura has cut for this model.
Thanks for the update. 6 weeks in the TLX Tech SH-AWD and I feel like my 2012 Tech SH-AWD was just a better fit and finish. Hopefully the steering wheel noise is something different and can be taken car of, but I'm also having issues with the ELS system rattling the rear deck at volume 12 or higher (all types of music) as well as jerking shift points etc. All discussed on other threads, but adding it all up, I wish now I would have just waited a couple more years. Anyway, maybe I'll find a unicorn and life will be better.

Quick Reply: 2015 tlx steering wheel noise