Just installed the xlr8

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Just installed the xlr8

finally getting a chance to post some pics. Was cold today but still washed the car. This cat back with the J pipe deleting the third cat is a killer combination for performance and sound. Need some wheels now. Was thinking about painting the window trim black. Now just need some wheels. What you guys think about the Rohana RC 10's? Black chrome. 19's or 20's?
Old 02-05-2017, 03:22 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Must've not of been that cold to wear some Nike sandals hahaha jp. Very clean CBP like how you did your front grill very different plus the badges and tails.Looks like your off to a great start on the mods. Can't tell if your lowered or still in stock height. Few members have those RC10's you mentioned rohana - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community - Threads Tagged with rohana Was planning to get those as well, but decided to go to a different route. 19's and 20's are both good sizes it's just up to you on what your willing to sacrifice. Me personally tires play a big part on your rims such as comfort handling and so forth. Just something to think about as well.

Last edited by Soal Man; 02-05-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:18 AM
Instructor

What's up man? Lol. How did you know I had in Nike slippers in pics? Don't even think my body was in any. That was funny but nevertheless in terms of performance the 19's would prob be better?
Old 02-05-2017, 06:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Soal Man
Must've not of been that cold to wear some Nike sandals hahaha jp. Very clean CBP like how you did your front grill very different plus the badges and tails.Looks like your off to a great start on the mods. Can't tell if your lowered or still in stock height. Few members have those RC10's you mentioned rohana - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community - Threads Tagged with rohana Was planning to get those as well, but decided to go to a different route. 19's and 20's are both good sizes it's just up to you on what your willing to sacrifice. Me personally tires play a big part on your rims such as comfort handling and so forth. Just something to think about as well.

Yes I'm on Tein Basics and I just saw myself in the reflection. Funny
Old 02-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Looks nice and clean. I have 19's and love them since if offers a nice balance between comfort and performance. The TL looks awesome with 20's since the car is big bodied enough for it.

19" tires can also be a bit more costly.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:08 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
In terms of performance, a light weight wheel will help the most. 19's will give you a little more comfort than a 20" wheel. I'd look at the weight if the wheels you like and go for the lowest amount.

Nice upgrades though. Coming along nicely.
The following users liked this post:
KarKraze (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 11:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cbryce
What's up man? Lol. How did you know I had in Nike slippers in pics? Don't even think my body was in any. That was funny but nevertheless in terms of performance the 19's would prob be better?
Yes I'm on Tein Basics and I just saw myself in the reflection. Funny
BTW think you created a new thread by accident when in fact you meant to reply here
At least you didn't have pink fluffy slip on's then we'd have a problem lol Performance wise-lightweight wheels have more pros than cons. Had 19 inch reps before my current setup and it was like night and day. Tried on some Stance 20's with Continental dwso6 that my boy was trying to get rid of had it for a week and didn't like it too much either. The look and bling factor was there but wasn't feeling the ride auality and performance if anything it took those attributes away also my mpg went down 16city/24highway. Felt like the 19 reps but add like 4-7 lbs on each rim. You get the picture.

Last edited by Soal Man; 02-06-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Instructor

BTW think you created a new thread by accident when in fact you meant to reply here
At least you didn't have pink fluffy slip on's then we'd have a problem lol Performance wise-lightweight wheels have more pros than cons. Had 19 inch reps before my current setup and it was like night and day. Tried on some Stance 20's with Continental dwso6 that my boy was trying to get rid of had it for a week and didn't like it too much either. The look and bling factor was there but wasn't feeling the ride auality and performance if anything it took those attributes away also my mpg went down 16city/24highway. Felt like the 19 reps but add like 4-7 lbs on each rim. You get the picture.

Yea that was my error and thank you. So you suggest a 19X 9.5 and 255? Loving the performance and sound. It sounds vicious. The J pipe helps too
Old 02-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Yea that was my error and thank you. So you suggest a 19X 9.5 and 255? Loving the performance and sound. It sounds vicious. The J pipe helps too
Idk if your trying to go with a conservative(close to stock specs)approach or a slightly aggressive look. Plus the RC10 color varies along with the available offsets on our bolt pattern. The 19x8.5's have only a few options offset's 15 or 33. Then from what I see with the 9.5's they have 20 or 35 offset again with the color it varies. You can checkout my setup along with other members here https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-t...-898010/page7/ to get you an idea how it would look like. I would just stick with 245 instead of 255 imho. Seen a member pull it off with 265/35/19 before.

Last edited by Soal Man; 02-07-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Idk if your trying to go with a conservative(close to stock specs)approach or a slightly aggressive look. Plus the RC10 color varies along with the available offsets on our bolt pattern. The 19x8.5's have only a few options offset's 15 or 33. Then from what I see with the 9.5's they have 20 or 35 offset again with the color it varies. You can checkout my setup along with other members here https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-t...-898010/page7/ to get you an idea how it would look like. I would just stick with 245 instead of 255 imho. Seen a member pull it off with 265/35/19 before.
I want 20's so bad but I know I'll lose some of the performance. Your ride looks sick. Love the color of your car BTW. I'm thinking to go 19x9.5 and lower it. The 255 tire I think I'm going to go with. I want to go with black chrome.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Instructor

I want 20's so bad but I know I'll lose some of the performance. Your ride looks sick. Love the color of your car BTW. I'm thinking to go 19x9.5 and lower it. The 255 tire I think I'm going to go with. I want to go with black chrome.
Was on the same boat with the 20's. Appreciate the compliments bro.
It's all up to you. If you do decide to go with the similar specs and lower it more (finger gap) keep in mind you'll need to roll f and r fenders and get the f and r camber kit if you haven't already. FYI you'll gain +4.2%, sidewall -7% meaning your circumference will lose at least 2.5% which your speedo will be off compared to 19 stock specs. Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Was on the same boat with the 20's. Appreciate the compliments bro.
It's all up to you. If you do decide to go with the similar specs and lower it more (finger gap) keep in mind you'll need to roll f and r fenders and get the f and r camber kit if you haven't already. FYI you'll gain +4.2%, sidewall -7% meaning your circumference will lose at least 2.5% which your speedo will be off compared to 19 stock specs. Hope this helps.
I'm thinking if I come down maybe 4 notches I should be OK without a camber kit???? Any rim shop should be able to do that and I know it weakens the fenders right?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Your ride looks great man, bet it sounds awesome too! Congrats, keep it up!

-greg
Old 02-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Instructor

I'm thinking if I come down maybe 4 notches I should be OK without a camber kit???? Any rim shop should be able to do that and I know it weakens the fenders right?
This is a guesstimate so don't quote me on this, but 4 notches down is probably a lil over 1/2 inch give or take. Only way your really gonna find out if you need front and rear camber kit is if you take your vehicle in for an alignment shop after you dropped it to the ride height you want.
From all the info I've read on here and what members have shared there's only a few guys have gotten lucky and didn't need a camber kit. It's almost a guarantee that you'll need one for your rears though-that's a given and you might get away with not having to install it for the fronts, but in all honesty I would get it regardless only because it'll be more convenient for you later in the future if you have other plans to go more lower or go bigger on wheel size. Plus less wear and tear on your suspension and tires.
Idk about "any kind of Rim shop" would be able to install camber kit if that's what your asking and Idk what you mean by weaken your fenders.
What I was trying to tell you in my previous post is that if your trying to go 19x9.5 with an offset of 35 your more than likely going to have to roll your fenders so your wheels or tires won't scrape against your fenders. Would hate to see that you get some nice rims and think that everything is cool until you hop out the ride and notice that your rims and tires is all scraped up because you didn't think you needed your fenders rolled. Only way you can avoid that is to raise your Teins to avoid the rubbing.

Last edited by Soal Man; 02-09-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by '99-6SIC6
Your ride looks great man, bet it sounds awesome too! Congrats, keep it up!

-greg
Thank you Greg. You have no idea.....it's addicting. Only thing I'm going to do is paint calipers black and get some slotted and drilled rotors and wheels and I'm set. I started painting the chrome window trim but it didn't come out like I wanted so I'm going to try again with a brush and matte black paint.

Thank you
Old 02-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Instructor

This is a guesstimate so don't quote me on this, but 4 notches down is probably a lil over 1/2 inch give or take. Only way your really gonna find out if you need front and rear camber kit is if you take your vehicle in for an alignment shop after you dropped it to the ride height you want.
From all the info I've read on here and what members have shared there's only a few guys have gotten lucky and didn't need a camber kit. It's almost a guarantee that you'll need one for your rears though-that's a given and you might get away with not having to install it for the fronts, but in all honesty I would get it regardless only because it'll be more convenient for you later in the future if you have other plans to go more lower or go bigger on wheel size. Plus less wear and tear on your suspension and tires.
Idk about "any kind of Rim shop" would be able to install camber kit if that's what your asking and Idk what you mean by weaken your fenders.
What I was trying to tell you in my previous post is that if your trying to go 19x9.5 with an offset of 35 your more than likely going to have to roll your fenders so your wheels or tires won't scrape against your fenders. Would hate to see that you get some nice rims and think that everything is cool until you hop out the ride and notice that your rims and tires is all scraped up because you didn't think you needed your fenders rolled. Only way you can avoid that is to raise your Teins to avoid the rubbing.
I have no problems rolling the fenders but your right I may need it for the rear. I had a2002 type s a long time ago and I only needed it for the rear. 19's should be lighter
Old 02-12-2017, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Painted the chrome around the windows. Just need to lower her a little more and some wheels

Old 02-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts
Was it hard removing the chrome trim?
Old 02-12-2017, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
The blacked out moldings look nice
Old 02-12-2017, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jtech316
Was it hard removing the chrome trim?
Don't laugh at me guys but I taped off everything and hand painted with a brush using high heat paint. Just need to throw a coat on of clear.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by myacuratl10
The blacked out moldings look nice

Thanks man. It took about 4 hours
Old 02-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Thanks man. It took about 4 hours
When u throw the clear on can you take a close up pick.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't laugh at me guys but I taped off everything and hand painted with a brush using high heat paint. Just need to throw a coat on of clear.
For clear coat, this is the best you can get out of a can off the (online) shelf. It's amazing for what it is, really. You can use a cheap enamel for the base and then cover with this for an extremely durable chemical resistant finish. It's a two-part paint, so make sure you wear an appropriate mask.

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by yzmuddereffer
For clear coat, this is the best you can get out of a can off the (online) shelf. It's amazing for what it is, really. You can use a cheap enamel for the base and then cover with this for an extremely durable chemical resistant finish. It's a two-part paint, so make sure you wear an appropriate mask.

https://www.amazon.com/Spray-High-Gl.../dp/B0043B7UQY
Thanks buddy. I was thinking I could brush it on. I'm trying to avoid overspray
Old 02-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts
bryce; Very, very clean car. Black is hard to beat when it's sparkling. The exhaust are very nice as well. All round clean ride!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 649 Likes on 349 Posts
How did you get the grille match done> paint? plasti? dealer painted? Thinking of doing it on mine
Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrrobato
bryce; Very, very clean car. Black is hard to beat when it's sparkling. The exhaust are very nice as well. All round clean ride!
Thanks man and you are so right. When it's clean is looks bad ass but when dirty it's just OK.
Waiting to see how it looks with wheels. Still debating 19's or 20's. Don't have to be too heavy
Old 02-13-2017, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
How did you get the grille match done> paint? plasti? dealer painted? Thinking of doing it on mine
I had a shop do it
Old 02-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Hey cbryce, glad to hear you're enjoying your new setup!

The car looks good! Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

If you want a quote on rims feel free to shoot me a PM. Happy modding!

-Craig
Old 02-16-2017, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep
Hey cbryce, glad to hear you're enjoying your new setup!

The car looks good! Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

If you want a quote on rims feel free to shoot me a PM. Happy modding!

-Craig
Thanks Craig. I want to lower her a tad more. I feel like the exhaust is so loud. How can I quiet her down? It sounds awesome especially on full throttle but I'm thinking about getting some resonators. Any suggestions?

As far as rims I like the Rohanna RC 10 19x9.5 matte
Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Thanks Craig. I want to lower her a tad more. I feel like the exhaust is so loud. How can I quiet her down? It sounds awesome especially on full throttle but I'm thinking about getting some resonators. Any suggestions?

As far as rims I like the Rohanna RC 10 19x9.5 matte
Hey,

I sent a PM your way!

-Craig
Old 02-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks great! Well done!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BulletToothTony
Looks great! Well done!
Thank you
Old 03-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Looks great, a couple of things. Exhaust is loud, I have the same one but oval tips. If you want to reduce the cabin noise, get the Vibrant 1141 resonators or you can just put it back to stock. For wheels, I went with 20x9.5 with a 255/35 profile but my wheels are also forged so it's lighter than the stock 18s. I wanted the looks and performance but it wasn't cheap. Tire selection also makes a huge difference; I went with Continental DWS06. Very quiet, great grip and good ride quality for a daily. GL and happy modding!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
Looks great, a couple of things. Exhaust is loud, I have the same one but oval tips. If you want to reduce the cabin noise, get the Vibrant 1141 resonators or you can just put it back to stock. For wheels, I went with 20x9.5 with a 255/35 profile but my wheels are also forged so it's lighter than the stock 18s. I wanted the looks and performance but it wasn't cheap. Tire selection also makes a huge difference; I went with Continental DWS06. Very quiet, great grip and good ride quality for a daily. GL and happy modding!

can I see a pic of your ride?
Old 03-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
can I see a pic of your ride?
I have some pics on my phone and will post them up whenever I get a chance.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Update

Here are some pics of a sneak peak to come. Getting a ktuner and dyno on Tuesday and then putting rims on next weekend. After 5 months of have Xlr8 v2 j pipe and full Xlr8 exhaust I got a emissions P0430 code took car to dealer and they told me it would void my fuel system warranty. Tuner told me not to worry they will take care of it so I have to trust them 650 later and a dyno tune. Continental dws06 255 35 20

20x9 35 offset

Old 05-20-2017, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Nice choice. looking forward to more pics and news on the Dyno Tune.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:56 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Interested in if the code goes away. That's a common code but usually pops up with HFPC or PCD.

Keep up the mods!
Old 05-21-2017, 05:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Nice choice. looking forward to more pics and news on the Dyno Tune.

Will be sure to keep you guys posted and post pics soon. One more week.