Ktuner- The first tuning solution for the 4G TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:39 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Id just swap the oil early and get it tuned. Personally.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I might just get it done early if I lose patience. I just like to go by the MID for maintenance. We'll see.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not go with Vit on a street tune instead of hunting down a AWD dyno? I have personally done street tunes with Vit in the past when I had my 09 Honda Civic SI and both the experience and the tune worked out great.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:38 AM
The Original Shawdy

Originally Posted by awdflush
Why not go with Vit on a street tune instead of hunting down a AWD dyno? I have personally done street tunes with Vit in the past when I had my 09 Honda Civic SI and both the experience and the tune worked out great.
I agree but Vit is 4 hours away from me. I did find a local shop that I forgot about located 15 minutes from me that has an AWD dyno and is OG in the mod scene. The drive back home from Vit would be fun though. Really depends on cost of tune.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Intermediate

Hmm.. wouldn't the tuning be etune? without a dyno? What I remember is, you would go out and data log some pulls in 3rd gear then upload the logs to you pc and email Vit. He will then send you an updated calibration that you upload to the car. You do this a couple more times until your tune is complete. This is how I did my tune back then. Do we have to go on a dyno with our 4Gs for tuning?
Old 07-12-2015, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
So it's great and all that people have them and are starting to get e-tuned but if we don't have before/after dyno charts how do we know what the actual gains are? Just seeing an after doesn't tell us much as results can vary greatly from dyno to dyno as well as location.

That before/after is key to knowing the gains
Old 07-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Intermediate

I get it now, Thanks for clarifying TheMuffinMan. Subbed for results .
Old 07-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by awdflush
I get it now, Thanks for clarifying TheMuffinMan. Subbed for results .
Whoops! Wasn't necessarily replying to you directly, but after reading your post yes it does apply.

It's very much the same way with individual parts - like adding a J-pipe gets you "15hp". Without having a before/after it's really difficult to actually say whether or not that power was added.

If you do just an after tune and it's, let's say "180hp" and we don't know what the before was who knows if you gained 5hp or 20hp?

Then above and beyond that, cars will dyno differently if it's a Mustang, Dynojet, or Dynapack and from sea level to raised elevation. So a before/after on the same dyno at the same elevation is really important.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

The results will come. Someone will post them up. I will post a base run and a dyno tuned run soon. Ya'll will have to wait for my results though; I'm in no rush to get it done at the moment. Hopefully others will post some before me.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamAcura
Well yea, fresh oil change will make the engine perform better as opposed to "old" oil.
Nah....change the oil and run the BIacth...
Old 07-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
I'm starting to become a little skeptical with all the people saying they've bought this and still no reviews or results have been posted. I'm surprised Ktuner didn't do some tuning themselves to at least prove that gains are available with this unit.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
I'm starting to become a little skeptical with all the people saying they've bought this and still no reviews or results have been posted. I'm surprised Ktuner didn't do some tuning themselves to at least prove that gains are available with this unit.
dyno time isn't cheap... I paid upwards of $300 for my 760 to get dyno'ed.
The following 2 users liked this post by csmeance:
KarKraze (07-15-2015), TeamAcura (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

It's anywhere from 150-300 for a session depending on the software. Anything over the allotted time is 150 to 200 an hour. So yea, not cheap.
The following users liked this post:
KarKraze (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
It would have been nice to see some results from K Tuner as you stated,more members would have made the purchase .
For members it's all about the cost to us.There are only a handful of members who are doing ground work and performance mods while the others want to sit back and wait for results.

When I purchased the K Tuner I wanted a dyno tune to see some numbers as well but starting at $600 and upwards from there not including the software just to show myself and other members that there is a gain........uh, no thanks.

Just by doing data logs I can tell that the engine is not running optimally and Kenny @ TurboGixxer is taking care of that via E Tuning.

The car is running stronger and better now that I have new maps with better parameters, that right there is all that matters to me.However, lets assume that my butt dyno is off,I will be very happy to see the engine running the way it was intended to. I can easily monitor it with the software and know for a fact that the readings are better since starting the tune .
HeartTLs (07-16-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts
Both TurbogixxerTuning and RV6 are waiting on customers to dyno and I'm sure both will provide their results to the public.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm also etuning and with every tune it is getting better and better. Car feels really strong, I hate to say it but it is becoming stupid fast for daily. Definitely improvement over stock. Once complete, If I can find a proper dyno in Ontario I will definitely get it tested to see what it is pulling. I might even flash the stock tune back on do some runs and then flush the re-tune and get some runs again. Overall so far I like the etuning experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by sympley:
614erich (02-09-2016), KarKraze (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sympley
I'm also etuning and with every tune it is getting better and better. Car feels really strong, I hate to say it but it is becoming stupid fast for daily. Definitely improvement over stock. Once complete, If I can find a proper dyno in Ontario I will definitely get it tested to see what it is pulling. I might even flash the stock tune back on do some runs and then flush the re-tune and get some runs again. Overall so far I like the etuning experience.
Nice! Thanks for the update. Thats a great idea getting tune and then booking the dyno when its convenient for you. This would work out even cheaper than the cost of renting a dyno for a couple hours. You can easily change between stock and tune calibrations to see the before and after power gains. Please keep us up to date thanks.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
We're definitely interested in seeing some dyno numbers ourselves. From the customers who have purchased the Ktuner so far, we've heard good things about the base tune. It would be nice to see some comparisons with stock vs base tune vs custom tune, or something along those lines.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:14 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm going to fall into the boat of "extremely skeptical of everyone's butt dyno"

You just dropped ~$400? for a tuning solution, you want to feel more power so you'll justify it however.

The fact we haven't seen a single before/after dyno tune, even from the manufacturer claiming to be a tuning solution is sketch.

Above and beyond that, I'm really not sure what people who bought it expected for the car to be tuned lol. You gotta pay to play.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:52 PM
The Original Shawdy

Problem is no one here is getting a dyno tune. They all went for e-tune which is a longer process but same outcome in the end. Minus the numbers on paper.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:20 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Without a proper dyno tune for verification, how do we know if the e-tune will come out the same ?
Old 07-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Without a proper dyno tune for verification, how do we know if the e-tune will come out the same ?
Bingo.

"Oh hey, you're tuned!"

> Yay! How much power did I gain?

"Uh, well the air/fuel is better, I dunno, +1million hp"

> Yes! Time to add more stickers
Old 07-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

I have faith in the product so that is why I bought it. Yall gonna keep in mind this is basically still in its infancy stage. And to be skeptical is understandable but also a little premature. Not exactly sure what to be skeptical about. It's not like K tuner is trying to scam people for their money. Worst case scenario, you will have a smoother power curve with a possible bump in hp and tq. I have trust in my tuner and the software to unlock all the potential of the 3.7 with my current mods which is just a full exhaust (minus the precats). I want the rev limiter removed asap. That said, my dyno tune might come sooner than expected. I am forgoing the spacer mods and will get a quick oil change. But bills come first and it will have to wait. Sometime in August. Meanwhile, all the doubters just relax and keep an eye on this thread. The dyno sheets will come if not from me, then someone else.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Drifting

Even though I just debadged I got to go put stickers on my car to justify the purchase

I guess all the guys that are having an E Tune have a sensitive butt. Well,maybe I do but the clock don't lie.When I start spending money from someone else's pocket then I will need to justify what I do, until such time I am accountable to no one. I will leave this at that.

Last edited by KarKraze; 07-18-2015 at 10:32 PM.
TeamAcura (07-18-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 03:19 AM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
I have faith in the product so that is why I bought it. Yall gonna keep in mind this is basically still in its infancy stage. And to be skeptical is understandable but also a little premature. Not exactly sure what to be skeptical about. It's not like K tuner is trying to scam people for their money. Worst case scenario, you will have a smoother power curve with a possible bump in hp and tq. I have trust in my tuner and the software to unlock all the potential of the 3.7 with my current mods which is just a full exhaust (minus the precats). I want the rev limiter removed asap. That said, my dyno tune might come sooner than expected. I am forgoing the spacer mods and will get a quick oil change. But bills come first and it will have to wait. Sometime in August. Meanwhile, all the doubters just relax and keep an eye on this thread. The dyno sheets will come if not from me, then someone else.
No, worst case scenario is having dips and drops in hp and tq across the entire power band, especially if the car is not 100% OEM stock, with variations in different makes and nature of some particular aftermarket mods.

This is the scenario that no one, who has spent a couple hundred dollars, wants to encounter.

And this is why dyno tune is so important in nailing down what's real and what's not.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Regardless of dyno tune or included basemap, e-tuning has been proven on every platform KTuner and other manufacturer's support. It works. If you don't understand the process ask the tuner you'll be tuning with to explain it. Everyone should understand what they're getting into.

For those of you saying KTuner is sketch, sorry we weren't able to get you the original dyno plot. Things happen. I wasn't going to postpone availability to those waiting for tunability because of a chart. The platform is proven and we'll get you another dyno session as soon as we get a vehicle into the RV6 AWD dyno location. For those of you who want to wait that is OK. Nobody is forcing you to get started with your tuning early and KTuner isn't going anywhere. I've been tuning Honda/Acuras for 15 years and creating supporting software for this market nearly that entire time with NepTune Tuning Software (HRTuning) for 88-2001 Honda/Acuras also being my creation.

As you know the J37 in the MDX is very similar, so here's a dyno we just did at the RV6 AWD location on an 07-08 MDX J37 AWD with J-Pipe and Test Pipe. The lines are 100% Stock, Pipes added, KTuner base tune added. To say what we're doing with these ECUs is a sham, or doesn't work, is doing enthusiasts a disservice. RV6 is trying to get a TL into his location and we'll have dynos shortly.

The following 2 users liked this post by KSeriesTuner:
arpypat (07-19-2015), freeurmind69 (07-21-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KSeriesTuner
Regardless of dyno tune or included basemap, e-tuning has been proven on every platform KTuner and other manufacturer's support. It works. If you don't understand the process ask the tuner you'll be tuning with to explain it. Everyone should understand what they're getting into.

For those of you saying KTuner is sketch, sorry we weren't able to get you the original dyno plot. Things happen. I wasn't going to postpone availability to those waiting for tunability because of a chart. The platform is proven and we'll get you another dyno session as soon as we get a vehicle into the RV6 AWD dyno location. For those of you who want to wait that is OK. Nobody is forcing you to get started with your tuning early and KTuner isn't going anywhere. I've been tuning Honda/Acuras for 15 years and creating supporting software for this market nearly that entire time with NepTune Tuning Software (HRTuning) for 88-2001 Honda/Acuras also being my creation.

As you know the J37 in the MDX is very similar, so here's a dyno we just did at the RV6 AWD location on an 07-08 MDX J37 AWD with J-Pipe and Test Pipe. The lines are 100% Stock, Pipes added, KTuner base tune added. To say what we're doing with these ECUs is a sham, or doesn't work, is doing enthusiasts a disservice. RV6 is trying to get a TL into his location and we'll have dynos shortly.
Absolutely *not* what I'm suggesting or saying.

E-tuning works, sure, it's effectively what my tuner was doing for my S2000 (AEM EMS v2) on his dyno - just you're doing a street tune and changing it remotely. I get it, the BIN file (or whatever format KTuner uses) is a BIN file whether it's done next to me or it's done 1000 miles away.

What I'm pointing out is there is no evidence/proof of the actual gains if there's no before/after dyno tuning. Sure the graphs (air/fuel) will be smoother but if it's just a 5hp gain, is that worth $600?

It's a brand new product for the TL that for whatever reason hasn't been touched by any other tuning solution (Hondata for example). It would be nice to see it actually working rather than everyone keeping it hush hush and pushing back when they're going to the dyno.

I'm excited to see what you guys have to offer, shit, I'll buy one if it's proven.

Also, if I'm reading that chart correctly, a 3.7L MDX only put down 205whp/185ft-lb tuned? Were those corrected numbers? That seems really low - aren't they rated at 300hp/275ft-lb?

And it was 183whp/170ft-lb stock? Is our drivetrain *that* lossy?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Unfortunately we can't post the original dyno and will have to wait for a vehicle to get scheduled at RV6 or another AWD location to post results. If you want to wait for a dyno graph that's great. For those who don't the system was released so you don't have to wait to get tuning done. That's where we're at currently.

I'm not sure how an additional $100 got tacked onto the system, but it's $499. If there's a dealer or someone selling it for more than that please let me know.

If you look at the top of the graph you'll see it was done on a Mustang dyno. If you know about dynos then you know Mustang dynos read low.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately we can't post the original dyno and will have to wait for a vehicle to get scheduled at RV6 or another AWD location to post results. If you want to wait for a dyno graph that's great. For those who don't the system was released so you don't have to wait to get tuning done. That's where we're at currently.

I'm not sure how an additional $100 got tacked onto the system, but it's $499. If there's a dealer or someone selling it for more than that please let me know.

If you look at the top of the graph you'll see it was done on a Mustang dyno. If you know about dynos then you know Mustang dynos read low.
Ah, I was just throwing out random numbers for the price, in another post I said $400. We can split the difference and we'll be at the right price

Yep, fully aware of Mustang dynos, however I know the system can be calibrated to account for different factors and the final numbers can be corrected to account for elevation and such. Also very aware that the 300/275 is not whp or tq. It still shows the gains though, just was surprised that they were that low (even on Mustang).
Old 07-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Ya, I understand. I do not have a hand in calibrating the RV6 dyno, as he's in IL and I'm in AZ. I remote in for any new test sessions to verify the data and make additional changes.

RV6 is working on bringing two TLs in for dyno sessions, so results we can post should come soon. Everyone who isn't going to have full tuning or e-tuning done should hold off. Because of the intake MAF housing issues we recommend full tuning anyway, as the fuel trims being off can throw the base tune off by quite a bit.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Ya, I understand. I do not have a hand in calibrating the RV6 dyno, as he's in IL and I'm in AZ. I remote in for any new test sessions to verify the data and make additional changes.

RV6 is working on bringing two TLs in for dyno sessions, so results we can post should come soon. Everyone who isn't going to have full tuning or e-tuning done should hold off. Because of the intake MAF housing issues we recommend full tuning anyway, as the fuel trims being off can throw the base tune off by quite a bit.
Is this all the mess involving the CT-E intake having a poorly designed/shaped MAF housing? Like it's undersized or something?
Old 07-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Instructor

In order for the factory MAF calibration to properly calculate airflow (And subsequent fueling) the MAF housing needs to be the same size as factory. Otherwise re-calibration is required, which can be done by a tuner with KTuner.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
No, worst case scenario is having dips and drops in hp and tq across the entire power band, especially if the car is not 100% OEM stock, with variations in different makes and nature of some particular aftermarket mods.

This is the scenario that no one, who has spent a couple hundred dollars, wants to encounter.

And this is why dyno tune is so important in nailing down what's real and what's not.
True but that is more on the tuner's side than the software itself which was my main point anyway. Of course some will confuse the word sketchy vs. skeptical and there's a big difference between the 2. But I digress, carry on. My next post in this thread will be dyno results.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
KSeriesTuner, so this works on MDX too? I have 2012 MDX can it be tuned with your software?
I was told by Rich it is only for TL at this moment...
Old 07-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Is this all the mess involving the CT-E intake having a poorly designed/shaped MAF housing? Like it's undersized or something?
If the MAF housing on the CT-E intake is not 3.50" then that could be why. The stock MAF housing is essentially a 3.50" pipe (3.24" ID and 3.60" OD).
Name:  IMG_6460_zpse7ez5oka.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  56.6 KB
This also made a valid point in regards to the issue I was having when I was making an intake for my car. I first used a 3.50" pipe with a velocity stack and filter. The sound and performance was felt instantly. Very throaty sound with a noticeably loud Vtec engagement and also a more responsive gas pedal.

I then wanted more, so I made a 4.00" transition to 3.50" intake with the same setup, velocity stack and filter. The difference was night and day. I got a lot of bogging, laggy gas pedal and slow acceleration.
Name:  IMG_6277_zps12drvc9x.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  103.4 KB

I ended up switching back to the 3.50" intake I first made.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
KSeriesTuner, so this works on MDX too? I have 2012 MDX can it be tuned with your software?
I was told by Rich it is only for TL at this moment...
We actually support a lot of applications and all released applications are on the applications page of the website. MDX has not been released yet. Please get in touch via email if you'd like to get in on some testing.

awdflush, yes, just altering the MAF housing size can be detrimental to how the vehicle runs, and how a base tune will run. I'm really hoping one of the manufacturers will step up and make a proper intake, but at least everyone has the option of getting it re-calibrated via tuning now if they so choose to.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I'm not far

Only 45 minutes away from RV6 if they want a stock '12 TL SH-AWD to dyno
KSeriesTuner (07-20-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 10:40 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I suggest no one post numbers, those who bought it, and are tuning know whether it's worth the money or not. Those that don't, well they'll just have to put their money were their mouths are.

Why should anyone's hard work, time and effort be free? What's in it for them? I nor they are getting a kick back.
The following 3 users liked this post by HeartTLs:
Edward'TLS (07-20-2015), KarKraze (07-20-2015), TeamAcura (07-19-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 12:48 AM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

Agree.

It should be the KTuner company and its dealer network, who should provide all these various data maps to all KTuner customers.

After all, it is them who are reaping in all the profits from selling the KTuner products.

Unless, of course, if the KTuner customers, who have spent their own time and their own money doing dyno tunes in helping to produce these useful data maps, get reimbursed for their contributions.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:12 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
I suggest no one post numbers, those who bought it, and are tuning know whether it's worth the money or not. Those that don't, well they'll just have to put their money were their mouths are.
Bingo, give this man a medal.

You gotta pay to play but some people want to play after others pay .

to K Tuner for making this product available and Kenny @ Turbogixxer for his work and effort in tuning my car.

Last edited by KarKraze; 07-20-2015 at 05:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Ktuner- The first tuning solution for the 4G TL