My Nexus 7 Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by zsameer
I ordered a GPS receiver and transmitter for $40 from amazon. It was a bitch to find the right spot for the two to work. According to the instructions the two have to be 3 meters apart yet its made for a car....Go figure. Anyways after trying many different locations found the sweet spot and now I have decent GPS signal and it locks on quick and doesn't lose signal.

Without the transmitter:
20mb image hosting

With transmitter:
capture screen
link for the gps receiver, also what app is thar? My gps has been pretty good but it could use better accuracy sometimes or faster lock at times. Also I mainly use google maps for navigation, mostly since it syncs info from my google account and because of it's more accurate ETA. I keep copilot installed though incase I have no service, it's nice to have it as a bankup.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
I bought the GPS transmitter from amazon. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D3B...110_SY165_QL70

I bought this because it has a USB and not directly connected to its own car charger. So I just plugged it into the other port of ancker. You will have to try many different locations to get the best signal. I have the receiver in the back window and the transmitter under the steering column. Wrong position will kill the GPS signal down to 0. But without it my GPS was not working. Comes with no instructions but not rocket science. Definitely an improvement if you can get the right placement. Even a millimeter of change can make a huge difference. Definitely requires patience

The app is GPS test.

Last edited by zsameer; 01-03-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought this because it has a USB and not directly connected to its own car charger. So I just plugged it into the other port of ancker. You will have to try many different locations to get the best signal. I have the receiver in the back window and the transmitter under the steering column. Wrong position will kill the GPS signal down to 0. But without it my GPS was not working. Comes with no instructions but not rocket science. Definitely an improvement if you can get the right placement. Even a millimeter of change can make a huge difference. Definitely requires patience

The app is GPS test.
ok great thanks. I'm gonna test my signal when I get back to my car and see if it would be worth it to get one. I tried seeing if anyone has extended the antenna on the nexus 7 but I haven't had any luck finding anything
Old 01-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Racer

Yeah I couldn't find anything on that and this seemed like a lot less intrusive option than trying to dissect the tablet.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:36 AM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Yeah I couldn't find anything on that and this seemed like a lot less intrusive option than trying to dissect the tablet.
zsameer - does the external GPS antenna help the signal for a saved google map? I tend to prefer that navigation because it includes traffic, but I would probably benefit from the external antenna. If you have the chance to test it out and let me know, I would really appreciate it. No rush...thanks!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by triax37
zsameer - does the external GPS antenna help the signal for a saved google map? I tend to prefer that navigation because it includes traffic, but I would probably benefit from the external antenna. If you have the chance to test it out and let me know, I would really appreciate it. No rush...thanks!!!

I am pretty sure that it would. All its doing is getting a fix on any given map of your location so it shouldn't matter which maps you use, its just going to boost your GPS signal. I will however give it a try and let you know for sure. So you basically have downloaded a certain area from Google maps?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:00 AM
Racer

I am pretty sure that it would. All its doing is getting a fix on any given map of your location so it shouldn't matter which maps you use, its just going to boost your GPS signal. I will however give it a try and let you know for sure. So you basically have downloaded a certain area from Google maps?
Yep - I've downloaded the area around Denver, but sometimes the Nexus 7 struggles to figure out my location using the cellular network (tethered using iphone). So I'm curious if the GPS receiver would help. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by triax37
Yep - I've downloaded the area around Denver, but sometimes the Nexus 7 struggles to figure out my location using the cellular network (tethered using iphone). So I'm curious if the GPS receiver would help. Thanks for your help!
Download GPS test from the play store and check what kind of GPS signal you are getting. If it doesn't get a fix or takes a long time to get GPS fix then this would probably help. It doesn't matter if you use offline maps , like in your case downloaded maps of your area in Google maps or in my case CoPilot. Its the same thing. If you have a good GPS signal, Nexus would be able to determine your location on the navigation app that you are using whether it has stored maps or using data to download maps as you go.

As I told aameghoo, it is a pain to find a good spot for these to work. I used the GPS test app and moved the two units around till I could get a consistent signal. My receiver is in the back window on the passenger side and the transmitter is underneath the steering column area. Good luck if you decide to get it. Its working great for me and after I spent the money to get the whole tablet install and no GPS, this was a lifesaver for just $40.00 shipped.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Racer

Power Button

Originally Posted by aameghoo
To be honest I would say it's worth it to at least extend the power button. There's been a few times mine has went into a deep freeze (screen not coming on no matter what I do) and holding down the power button for about 10 seconds would reboot it. If I didn't have the power button extended my only 2 options would of been wait till it dies which could be a week or more, or take things apart so I could get to the button on the tablet.

I will say soldering the buttons was the biggest pain in the ass I had with the install since they're so small. You really only need the power button though and that's pretty much just for when the tablet locks up. There's a 4th button on the button ribbon that doesn't do anything, I would say practice on that so you can get a feel of it before moving on to the power button. The hardest part was getting the solder to stick, I found that if I heated the metal on the button first, the solder was much more likely to bond to it. I also put hot glue on the button after I soldered them to reinforce the joint to make sure it wouldn't break off.
Well I should have listened to you while I still had everything outside the car.... had to remove the tablet to tackle this power button since the tablet locked on me twice when I really needed it. It was a pain to solder on such a small area. I did get it on the first try though and put in hot glue gun to keep it secure. I used the Map/Guide button and I really like the fact that I can turn the screen on and off anytime.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:53 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Well I should have listened to you while I still had everything outside the car.... had to remove the tablet to tackle this power button since the tablet locked on me twice when I really needed it. It was a pain to solder on such a small area. I did get it on the first try though and put in hot glue gun to keep it secure. I used the Map/Guide button and I really like the fact that I can turn the screen on and off anytime.
HAHA! I'm about to do the same thing. I've had a few times where it wouldn't turn on, or something drained the battery.

Also, I'm probably going to add a USB car socket to the center console. I'm having issues with the socket being loose or something.

Waiting on an EasyCap as well to connect a backup camera. Hopefully it's the right chipset
Old 01-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rhydon
HAHA! I'm about to do the same thing. I've had a few times where it wouldn't turn on, or something drained the battery.

Also, I'm probably going to add a USB car socket to the center console. I'm having issues with the socket being loose or something.

Waiting on an EasyCap as well to connect a backup camera. Hopefully it's the right chipset
Good luck man. I really love having the power button. But ever since I did it the damn tablet hasn't had any issue to where I needed to use it. But now I can turn it off when I don't need it and turn it back on without any issues. I used the factory navigation Map/Guide button and had to cut one of the circuit line to make it work.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice install and even better apps. I'm looking up right now!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rhydon
Good luck - I tried this route and it didn't work. UVC100 or something? But the Febon 100 works great...
Old 01-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have one with the STK1160 chipset coming. Sounds like that one has worked the best for most people. Timur has the drivers built into his kernel for the N7 2013 along with the car cam app. Should pretty much be plug and play for me. Just have to figure out how to connect to the stock backup camera.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 AM
Advanced

For all that are wanting a backup camera, but can't find the right Easycap.
I bought mine from >
Amazon"><span style=Amazon" /> Amazon">Amazon
< this one specifically.
Here is the trick. It is best if you have Amazon Prime. Amazon will fulfill the order and ship it. When you receive it, open the Easycap and look at the chipset (UTV007 or STK1160). Mine is UTV007. Test it out. Using Autodroid rom and carcam 1.4, it will work. Make sure you correct the settings in carcam. If you happen to get the wrong chipset, you can return it for a full refund and try again.

I am running Autodroid and using carcam 1.4 and it works just fine. I'm in the middle of moving so I haven't had time to install it, but I've hooked it up and it works. I will have a guide on my Nexus 7 install post here > 2006 Acura TL - Nexus 7 Install
Good luck
The following users liked this post:
triax37 (01-27-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 ACURA TL with BOSE and NAVI

Guys I see all this great stuff. I am in the process of doing this currently I have everything apart and modded the navi bezel already. I would really like to know how to wire into the speaker portion while still maintaining my factory radio. I know Youtube user oog has done this but it is only aftermath videos. I would like to use the XM button as the AUX as most everyone else. Please walk me through this as I a waiting on my 90 degree adapter currently
Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by smcruze12
Guys I see all this great stuff. I am in the process of doing this currently I have everything apart and modded the navi bezel already. I would really like to know how to wire into the speaker portion while still maintaining my factory radio. I know Youtube user oog has done this but it is only aftermath videos. I would like to use the XM button as the AUX as most everyone else. Please walk me through this as I a waiting on my 90 degree adapter currently
You're not wiring into the speakers. You use an AUX connection which comes from an iSimple device if your car doesn't have an AUX connection already.
The iSimple (depending on which model) gives you 2 inputs; mine is two AUX connections.

aameghoo: I don't know what you ended up doing with the Nexus buttons, but I just finished setting mine up. Here is what I did for an idea. They are routed to the MENU button and the SETUP UP/DOWN buttons of the navi.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The app is GPS test.
Thanks, got this too. Bought it from ebay for about half the price though, just FYI. Lacks the security of returning to amazon though.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jateelover
Thanks, got this too. Bought it from ebay for about half the price though, just FYI. Lacks the security of returning to amazon though.
Cool. Let me know how it works for you. Also where you end up placing it.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool. Let me know how it works for you. Also where you end up placing it.
Wow, what a difference that makes. I went from mediocre signal of about 5 satellites to green on at least 8, usually more. It even picks up GPS in my parking garage now. Thanks, you've been a big help with this install!

I also put it in the passenger side rear window, but I ran the receiver up behind the tablet and stuck it to one of the supports back there with the magnet. You were right though, about a foot closer and it goes to "No GPS". I figured having it right behind the tablet might help, don't know if that's true or not.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jateelover
Wow, what a difference that makes. I went from mediocre signal of about 5 satellites to green on at least 8, usually more. It even picks up GPS in my parking garage now. Thanks, you've been a big help with this install!

I also put it in the passenger side rear window, but I ran the receiver up behind the tablet and stuck it to one of the supports back there with the magnet. You were right though, about a foot closer and it goes to "No GPS". I figured having it right behind the tablet might help, don't know if that's true or not.
Glad I could help. Yeah without it I get no GPS. It was a lifesaver for me.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

nexus

hey i would like to know if you do this for other people how much would you charge for everything?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:02 PM
7th Gear

Does anyone have a link to a complete guide to tablet prep? Ive got autodroid however i don't know what else i need to do. I can not get the tablet to shut off with power removed, or power on with power. Oem charge mode off has been turned off or on, whatever 0 is.