'04 TL CD player error ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 TL CD player error ?

Friday, for the first time, my CD changer refuse to play. I can hear a very small noise which is the lens, trying to play but nothing play. I can not even eject any of my 6 cd's which are in the player.

Does somebody have an idea about what to do ? The player shows CD Err which means mechanical error according to the owner manual.

Does somebody had the same error before ? I've got 6 cd's in the player, 5 are originals CD's and 1 is a CD-R, but there is no sticker on.

Thanks !

My car is a TL 6 speed without navigation system.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Cruisin'

I had the problem

This happen to me with my TL only being 3 months old. What I did was take it in and they had to order a new radio unit. I also had 6 CD's in it and they told me when it gets sent back to the manufacturer and they fix it, my CD's would be sent to me. The service guy said it should take about 2-3 months to get the CD's back. It has also been 3 weeks since the order and the manufacturer is on back order for them, so who knows how much longer it is going to take. So good luck with it hopefully your dealer doesn't pull the same thing mine did.

2004 TL
Anthracite
5AT
Blue LEDs
miami, FL
Old 08-09-2004, 03:58 PM
SOLD

Seaman, I have had this happen before as well. Ever notice that the cd's get hot after being played for awhile? (90% of the disk played). THis may have somehting to do with it. I just kept trying to eject and it would either come out after repeated tries, and I would switch to a different cd for a minute and then try and eject the other one. Only has happened twice, I don't think it's that strange, just a product of how the cd's are played in this system.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Advanced

I understand what you mean Nightrider, but whatever the button I push, there is no sign or sound coming from the player itself. After few try, the CD switch back to radio and then, no CD button work at all. If I want to do another try after that, I got to remove the car key, then, put it back in and turn the radio on once again.

It's sounds like an internal fuse was gone or something like that inside the CD player itself.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the key out of the ignition and hold the eject button until it beeps. With no power to the unit it should not realize it has a CD error and simply eject all sixs disks. Worth a shot.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aspector Gadget
Take the key out of the ignition and hold the eject button until it beeps. With no power to the unit it should not realize it has a CD error and simply eject all sixs disks. Worth a shot.

Thanks for the idea, without any key, whn I push the eject for few long seconds, I can hear the bip through the speakers but nothing else: no sound from the player, no disk are going out....
Old 08-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Evil Genius

Seaman, your symptoms match what I had happen exactly. I took the car to the dealer, and they ordered a replacement unit. On my home, on a lark I tried pressing and holding Eject, and lo and behold they ejected (this hadn't worked before). I was able to re-load the discs and listen to 'em for all of about 20 minutes, then it failed again. A couple days later I was able to eject/re-insert, got about 5 minutes out of them. I was able to eject them all one more time, and now it doesn't load anything.

I wonder if there was a bad batch of these things? When did you get your TL? Mine was end of April.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:19 AM
Advanced

I had mine a way earlier, back in the beginning of December. They also had to change the electric seat memory on mine...
Old 08-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Advanced

I just realize that there is one CD-R with a sticker on stuck in my CD player.....

It's probably the reason why the player won't eject any of the 6 disk in. Somebody knows if Acura will pass the player under warranty ? I dont wanna pay 600$ for a new Acura CD player....
Old 08-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Scorching Hot

Back in the day when I had my 2nd gen TL... i had the exact same problem. I took a paper label and glued it to my CD-R, possibly the dumbest thing anybody could do. So, of course, the label jammed the mechanical components within the CD changer and the entire thing stopped working. I couldn't eject my discs or anything of the sort. So, i took it to my dealer and since it was a relatively new car and it was the first time i did it... they just replaced the unit free of charge. A couple of months later, my 6 CDs came in the mail with a notice to: 1) Not play CD-Rs in the car (absolute BS) and 2) not to put in discs with a label. Anyway, the point of my little story is that depending on how generous ure dealer is, you may get it covered under warranty. Anyway, just a little side story: when i took my car back in for an oil change, they replaced the entire unit again (without asking me) saying it was the wrong one that they had put in and it would fail if it wasn't replaced. Surprisingly, that one actually sounded better than my original
Old 08-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Well, hopefully they'll be good for me (the dealer). Anyway, they will install the new unit, and send the old one back to Acura so I don't think that they will arrive a month later with a 1000$ bill ????

Hopefully not....
Old 08-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Advanced

[QUOTE=wha2sie]This happen to me with my TL only being 3 months old. What I did was take it in and they had to order a new radio unit. I also had 6 CD's in it and they told me when it gets sent back to the manufacturer and they fix it, my CD's would be sent to me. The service guy said it should take about 2-3 months to get the CD's back. It has also been 3 weeks since the order and the manufacturer is on back order for them, so who knows how much longer it is going to take. So good luck with it hopefully your dealer doesn't pull the same thing mine did.

What radio do you have ? The one including the GPS or without GPS ? It seems faster to receive it in Canada, they already receive mine today and will install it by next monday.

Hopefully I'll have nothing to pay....will see.

To be continued...
Old 08-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wha2sie
This happen to me with my TL only being 3 months old. What I did was take it in and they had to order a new radio unit. I also had 6 CD's in it and they told me when it gets sent back to the manufacturer and they fix it, my CD's would be sent to me. The service guy said it should take about 2-3 months to get the CD's back. It has also been 3 weeks since the order and the manufacturer is on back order for them, so who knows how much longer it is going to take. So good luck with it hopefully your dealer doesn't pull the same thing mine did.

2004 TL
Anthracite
5AT
Blue LEDs
miami, FL

What model of radio do you have ? The one including the GPS or without GPS ? Mine is without GPS and screen. It seems faster to receive it in Canada, they already receive mine today and will install it by next monday.

Hopefully I'll have nothing to pay....will see.

To be continued...