Our MDX almost killed our daughter

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:48 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Angry Our MDX almost killed our daughter

So this will be a long story but craziest few days of my life.

Just some backstory I've had 11 new Honda/Acuras, I'm a grown man and definitely not retarded lol

Saturday I was at our house taking care of some errands, so my wife takes our 15 mdx tech out with our daughter so i could get stuff done.

At about 4pm i get a call from my wife, her SCREAMING that my daughter is locked in the car.. i hang up and get over there as fast as possible (not knowing BUT LUCKILY that the car was running)

My wifes second call was to the dealer where we purchased the car after trying the app and it not working, she tells the dealer that theres a baby in the car and they tell her nothing they can do.

She calls 911 and NYPD shows up and smashes in our window to get the baby out.

I pulled up moments later.

Now after this all settles in I'm pissed that the car locked... i'm pissed that the dealer said no ... so i call the acura concierge..

1st rep i speak to ( saturday night) tells me that in emergency cases they can ping the car and unlock it

Now sunday morning rolls around and i call again

2nd rep i speak to.. i ask if the cars RUNNING can you remotely unlock she tells me NO.. but in some cases it errors and goes through.. I'm like so what would be my recourse? she says call a locksmith WITH A BABY IN THE CAR!

So today i call acura client care and they are having a case manager look into it
& randomly since i got the car i've had it show up as driver 2 for 1 or nothing at all. So i'm assuming in this case that either the FOB failed or the computer that pings it.

When i spoke to the rep today he told me that i should remove the key every time so i don't get locked out, i said that was the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

Now i have to wait until tuesday for safelite to clean out my car with glass from child seat, rear floor, seats and in trunk.
Then get to dealership so they can "hopefully" sort it out since in the past they were never able to replicate it when we were present.

Sorry for the long post, just seems like for a well thought out safe family suv.
If one fob sensor fails you're screwed, luckily in this case it was 90+ with ac on but what if it was running with the heat on.

Never have been so disappointed in a company before in my life, hoping nobody here has to go through it.
The following users liked this post:
BlueAquarian (09-01-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 12:11 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Sorry to hear the mishap.

Let me try to understand. Your wife left the key fob inside the car, exit the car, and the car locked up by itself. Is that correct ?
Old 08-17-2015, 12:13 PM
OG

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Sorry to hear the mishap.

Let me try to understand. Your wife left the key fob inside the car, exit the car, and the car locked up by itself. Is that correct ?

She started the car, put her stuff in the trunk, opened up the rear pass door, put daughter in car seat gave her some water n watched ipad (parked) then got out closed door and car locked (with fob inside)

Originally i thought she hit the handle button but with the fob inside it shouldn't have triggered the lock. By the time she walked around the car to drivers door all 4 were locked. LUCKILY she had phone in pocket and not purse.

Occasionally if shes driving it wont register her as driver 2 , or if shes 50 miles away and i enter the car with driver 1 fob it will say i'm driver 2.
So there is definitely issues somewhere. All assumptions however that its the fob or the computer that hits them failed.

The worst part for me is that there is no way to bypass it even if you're a connect subscriber, like say its winter and you have heat on high and your kid or dog in car. They would fry because acura couldn't ping the car due to system failure

Last edited by Type X; 08-17-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Is there a chance that your wife could have hit the lock button when closing the door?
Old 08-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow.

I just reviewed the "settings" for door locking. No setting available will result in the issue you experienced.

I guess I'm not really interested in renewing my Acuralink after hearing this story.

I hope you will follow up when Honda finally explains what happened. (though, my experience with them taking responsibility for anything is non-existant)
BlueAquarian (09-01-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 12:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Sorry for your situation, but at least we now have the privilege of knowing nothing bad happened from this. So let's take a step back and analyze this coherently.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. I would definitely want the car to lock if it is on with the fob inside, as this is what the car will be doing 100% of the time when it is being driven. The alternative would be that the car can't lock if the fob is inside, which means any random person can come and open the car door when you are parked at a light.

The car absolutely should lock with the fob inside and the car running. Think about it. The car doesn't know if people are in the car ready to drive or not. As far as it knows, the car is ready to leave.

I am sure a second key would have opened the car.
csasso (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 12:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Type X
Originally i thought she hit the handle button but with the fob inside it shouldn't have triggered the lock. By the time she walked around the car to drivers door all 4 were locked. LUCKILY she had phone in pocket and not purse.
You're confusing the car's settings when it is on and when it is off. It is very possible your wife hit the lock button.

When the car is off, the car doesn't allow you to lock the door with the button because it is afraid you might have done that accidentally (like leaving the fob in a coat pocket) and lock yourself out.

When the car is on, it must let you lock the door with the fob inside because you should be sitting in the vehicle with the fob. You don't throw the fob out the window before you drive off.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:34 PM
OG

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Is there a chance that your wife could have hit the lock button when closing the door?

That is what i thought originally but i think when the car is on the handles are disabled.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

That is what i thought originally but i think when the car is on the handles are disabled.
I think that can be easily re-evaluated by going out to the car, turning it on, pressing the lock button and closing the door.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:36 PM
OG

Originally Posted by wackjum
You're confusing the car's settings when it is on and when it is off. It is very possible your wife hit the lock button.

When the car is off, the car doesn't allow you to lock the door with the button because it is afraid you might have done that accidentally (like leaving the fob in a coat pocket) and lock yourself out.

When the car is on, it must let you lock the door with the fob inside because you should be sitting in the vehicle with the fob. You don't throw the fob out the window before you drive off.
But the car was on and she didnt lock it from inside, she closed the door and the car locked. As per acura dealer and concierge the car shouldn't lock if running from exterior handles or you could be at a light and someone could walk up to the car and unlock
Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 PM
OG

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I think that can be easily re-evaluated by going out to the car, turning it on, pressing the lock button and closing the door.
When she gets home tonight I'll try various ways with both keys seperately.
I honestly haven't really done anything with the car but vacuum some glass out and try to unlock it with the app while in the car running.

Other then that i haven't even wanted to look at it
Old 08-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

But the car was on and she didnt lock it from inside, she closed the door and the car locked. As per acura dealer and concierge the car shouldn't lock if running from exterior handles or you could be at a light and someone could walk up to the car and unlock
Ok ok. I misread your statement as the interior door handle, not the external.

Is it in any way possible she hit or brushed against the interior door lock button?
Old 08-17-2015, 12:41 PM
OG

Ok ok. I misread your statement as the interior door handle, not the external.

Is it in any way possible she hit or brushed against the interior door lock button?
I asked her if she hit anything and she said she didnt.
she was shaken up but gradually through the weekend she said she went through everything in her head and said she didnt hit anything.

HONESTLY i dont even think she knows we have exterior buttons to lock the door since she drives the car so little
Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
My wife's SRX did something kinda weird too...she put purse in trunk with the key, and it did something similar, but I can't recall exactly.

Fk all that new technology in cars!

Glad your kid was okay...obviously, life or death you wouldn't need the cops to break the window for you.
Flipster23 (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
My wife's SRX did something kinda weird too...she put purse in trunk with the key, and it did something similar, but I can't recall exactly.

Fk all that new technology in cars!

Glad your kid was okay...obviously, life or death you wouldn't need the cops to break the window for you.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
It's not supposed to lock the doors unless the gear lever moves out of park IIRC. Sucks OP, glad the kiddo is safe. Not sure why they didn't slim jim the lock wire / button or airbag the door. Breaking the window sounds like amateur hour. I usually get a little paranoid and keep the key in my pocket or crack the window just in case. Might want to do the same. Big failure on Acura's part, but what's new.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
because who can resist the urge to smash someone else's window who is in a panic and probably asking for it.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
On another note: why didn't the door unlock buttons on the outside of the car work?
Old 08-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Desert Ridge
On another note: why didn't the door unlock buttons on the outside of the car work?
Sorry for your situation, but at least we now have the privilege of knowing nothing bad happened from this. So let's take a step back and analyze this coherently.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. I would definitely want the car to lock if it is on with the fob inside, as this is what the car will be doing 100% of the time when it is being driven. The alternative would be that the car can't lock if the fob is inside, which means any random person can come and open the car door when you are parked at a light.
Maybe?
Old 08-17-2015, 01:33 PM

I must say.. the thread title is a bit dramatic.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:29 PM
OG

Originally Posted by Majofo
I must say.. the thread title is a bit dramatic.
Sad but true.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
because who can resist the urge to smash someone else's window who is in a panic and probably asking for it.
When i got there the cops hand was all bloody, imm assuming he punched it.
(I've watched videos n it seems impossible) but emt had his hand bandaged n blood all over exterior of door.

Originally Posted by Majofo
It's not supposed to lock the doors unless the gear lever moves out of park IIRC. Sucks OP, glad the kiddo is safe. Not sure why they didn't slim jim the lock wire / button or airbag the door. Breaking the window sounds like amateur hour. I usually get a little paranoid and keep the key in my pocket or crack the window just in case. Might want to do the same. Big failure on Acura's part, but what's new.

I'm OCD. Keys and wallet NEVER leave my pockets if i am not home and when i enter the car its autostarted i would NEVER get in run it and get out to get back in like she did lol
Chest pains just thinking about that.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I'm OCD. Keys and wallet NEVER leave my pockets if i am not home and when i enter the car its autostarted i would NEVER get in run it and get out to get back in like she did lol
I understand why the key was in the car. My wife does the same thing. Women don't use pockets. They're just nifty style additions to tight pants.
The keys stay in the purse, inside the big ass cubby in the center that was designed for purses.

I'm like you, if the car is running and I need to get out, I just let the car beep to hell that I'm walking away with the keys. At least this way I know I have a manual key AND a fob method to get in.

Glad it turned out positive! Too bad the cop really wanted to do the macho hero thing on your window, given that there was no need for it.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

If she is trying to strap your child in, I can understand wanting to turn the car on first so that it can start to cool down.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:32 PM

almost every parent with a little one does this
Atlas_Gen (08-21-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 04:32 PM
Safety Car

Does your car have an aftermarket alarm?
Old 08-17-2015, 04:41 PM
OG

Does your car have an aftermarket alarm?
Acura auto start
Old 08-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
from my understanding if the car is ON, our key fob won't be useful, what i meant is if car is on, our buttons on key fob won't respond, even if you press lock it won't lock.

i noticed you mentioned another thing which what i'm facing right now, basically my wife use Key 2 and i Use key 1, from time to time after she used the car, then i go use the car with Key 1, the system load the settings of Key 2... the odd thing is key 2 is at home which few blocks away!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:54 PM
OG

Originally Posted by jzhu625

i noticed you mentioned another thing which what i'm facing right now, basically my wife use Key 2 and i Use key 1, from time to time after she used the car, then i go use the car with Key 1, the system load the settings of Key 2... the odd thing is key 2 is at home which few blocks away!
Yea i'm beginning to think the car has some type of faulty sensors that hit the fobs. Hopefully something doesnt happen to others.
I've gotten in and wrong driver, no settings at all but 90% of time its ok
Old 08-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always hit the auto window down after I start the car. Even in winter or rain. Just in case.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:49 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Sad but true.

When i got there the cops hand was all bloody, imm assuming he punched it.
(I've watched videos n it seems impossible) but emt had his hand bandaged n blood all over exterior of door.

I'm terribly sorry for you that this happened, but I have to ask, why would she just not wait for you to get there with your key to unlock the door?

I'm mean the car was running, so it is not like it would overheat the child. How far away were you from her?

Finally, don't police have billy clubs or large flashlights anymore? I mean using your fist seems overly dramatic and a little dumb.

Last edited by hondu; 08-18-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by hondu
I'm terribly sorry for you that this happened, but I have to ask, why would she just not wait for you to get there with your key to unlock the door?
probably caught up in the moment
I'm mean the car was running, so it is not like it would overheat the child. How far away were you from her?
see above

Finally, don't police have billy clubs or large flashlights anymore? I mean using your fist seems overly dramatic and a little dumb.
because NYPD

Did you get a chance to check our hypotheses OP?
Old 08-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

The officer didn't use his fist. That person would have broken every bone in his knuckle. He probably cut himself while reaching in through the break.

Which window was it? The windshield and front side windows are made of laminated acoustic glass. The rest should be tempered glass. I'm assuming they didn't smash a rear window because the baby was back there.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had entirely different issue but similar experience with baby in MDX. When I saw thread title I recalled the horror experience I had with my baby in MDX. It's known issue with 16 MDX. MDX went to Neutral gear in middle of the interstate & slows down to stop & you cant select any other gear.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-...16-mdx-934354/
Old 08-18-2015, 07:41 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

The brand new 9-speed tranny on the 2016 MDX (and also the TLX) is very buggy, with some safety and driverability issues.

It will take Acura some time to tame this 3rd party transmission.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:20 AM
OG

The officer didn't use his fist. That person would have broken every bone in his knuckle. He probably cut himself while reaching in through the break.

Which window was it? The windshield and front side windows are made of laminated acoustic glass. The rest should be tempered glass. I'm assuming they didn't smash a rear window because the baby was back there.

Think again. He broke the window right next to the baby. (she was seated in middle) I've been picking out glass from the child seat and what safelite missed this week.

This picture was AFTER vac and before safelite. I took out the baby seat at the accident just to swap it into our other car and wrapped it in a sheet so she wouldn't pick up glass off it.

Going to do a full detail saturday.
Attached Thumbnails Our MDX almost killed our daughter-img_5199-2.jpg  
Old 08-20-2015, 10:24 AM
OG

Originally Posted by mdxrebel
I had entirely different issue but similar experience with baby in MDX. When I saw thread title I recalled the horror experience I had with my baby in MDX. It's known issue with 16 MDX. MDX went to Neutral gear in middle of the interstate & slows down to stop & you cant select any other gear.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-...16-mdx-934354/
That is crazy! We get the BRAKE pop up all the time, i had to shut ours off.
I know they recall/updated it for advance but since ours is a tech it just pops up and doesn't brake. If it did we'd have been rear ended about 50x
My 14 RDX was a dream compared to this MDX
Old 08-20-2015, 12:08 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
If she is trying to strap your child in, I can understand wanting to turn the car on first so that it can start to cool down.
I've found that it usually is more effective and faster to simply use the auto all window down function from key fob. I can always start the engine / A/C later on. Of course it works only if the ambient temperature is not scorchingly hot.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:11 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ridge
From the thread it is obvious that she did not have the key with her to operate the door unlock function from outside. If key is inside the car, the doors won't unlock from outside by design. Am I missing something here?
Old 08-20-2015, 02:30 PM
OG

Originally Posted by Comfy
From the thread it is obvious that she did not have the key with her to operate the door unlock function from outside. If key is inside the car, the doors won't unlock from outside by design. Am I missing something here?
That is what me, my wife, acura client care, case manager, regional manager and service manager are working on.

Tomorrow they are taking truck to run checks on it, wipe and reprogram everything. Case manager in torrence has been replicating scenarios with in office mdx.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
That is what me, my wife, acura client care, case manager, regional manager and service manager are working on.

Tomorrow they are taking truck to run checks on it, wipe and reprogram everything. Case manager in torrence has been replicating scenarios with in office mdx.
I think with the advent of proximity keys, this problem has occurred quite often on all makes and this is not just an Acura issue.

I've read on BMW forums people doing the exact same thing and locking themselves out of their running vehicles. Someone with an X5 did the same thing as your wife and locked their child in a running car.

I think your wife needs to get accustomed to rolling down the window(s) if she is going to exit a running car. I would not trust any make/model that this could not happen again.

Quick Reply: Our MDX almost killed our daughter