2016 MDX seat track rust

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 02:43 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 MDX seat track rust

I bought an MDX 2016 last week with AWD and Tech package. On a trip over the weekend while picking up items in the second row, I noticed rusty nuts connecting the seats to the seat tracks under both driver and passenger seats. There are two nuts for each seat at the end of the seat rail. They are all rusty.

My local Acura dealer said that the rust is cosmetic. It might be caused by AC condensation and they cannot put paint or lubrication on the moving parts. They also claim that the ones in their warehouse since 2014 are all rusty. So, they are not going to fix it. I called Acura to report the issue, but they seem to side with the dealer. I checked the model in the show room at the dealer I purchased the vehicle, it does not have any rust at all.

Does anyone of you have the same issue? You can check it out by open the back door, move the driver and passenger seat forward as far as you can, the look below the seat.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it and report back. I think it would help to know how many miles have you put on it so far?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 PM
3rd Gear

Bought at 6 miles last week, put on less than 200 miles so far.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
The MDX costs up to 70k here, if my 70k vehicle had rust like that, I would lose it. Go back to the dealer and demand they fix it, I have NEVER had this on any of my vehicles ever. Even my 10+ year old vehicles weren't like this.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by texaus
I bought an MDX 2016 last week with AWD and Tech package. On a trip over the weekend while picking up items in the second row, I noticed rusty nuts connecting the seats to the seat tracks under both driver and passenger seats. There are two nuts for each seat at the end of the seat rail. They are all rusty.

My local Acura dealer said that the rust is cosmetic. It might be caused by AC condensation and they cannot put paint or lubrication on the moving parts. They also claim that the ones in their warehouse since 2014 are all rusty. So, they are not going to fix it. I called Acura to report the issue, but they seem to side with the dealer. I checked the model in the show room at the dealer I purchased the vehicle, it does not have any rust at all.

Does anyone of you have the same issue? You can check it out by open the back door, move the driver and passenger seat forward as far as you can, the look below the seat.
Does it wipe off? You should see if it wipes off and then comes back.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:59 AM
5th Gear

How about rust on the front suspension? 2016 mdx with 2000 miles living in orange county ca without seeing rain except for car washes.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:38 AM
AcuraEnthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
@steelm3 My '14 with 7k miles and lots of rain in South Florida does not have that rust on the knuckle. That's alarming.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:01 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gtinmia
@steelm3 My '14 with 7k miles and lots of rain in South Florida does not have that rust on the knuckle. That's alarming.
Thank you for your input. I'll make that a point when I bring my car into the dealer.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 16 with 200 miles looks the same. It almost doesn't feel like rust, more like paint. I'm sure it has to be rust though.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by haganjeff
My 16 with 200 miles looks the same. It almost doesn't feel like rust, more like paint. I'm sure it has to be rust though.

If that is paint, that is both a brilliant way to hide rust and an awful idea if it isn't rusted. But seriously though, what the heck is going on? This is a serious design defect, a 2016 vehicle with 200 miles should NEVER have rust like that
Old 07-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Sadly, you will notice this on a lot of new cars (especially American ones, with American Honda/Acura being one of them). I believe it's a cost cutting measure where they figure the rust won't destroy the knuckle in the time frame that the majority of owners will own this vehicle. Second owners and post warranty be damned. Was talking about this the other day with my buds and manufacturing has really moved from probabilities without accurate means of predicting exact failure (so we over engineer) to computer assisted failure modeling with substantially better accuracy that the manufacturers are producing products with JUST enough lifetime to cover their liabilities to an acceptable level of risk.

Last edited by neoshi; 07-09-2015 at 11:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-10-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neoshi
Sadly, you will notice this on a lot of new cars (especially American ones, with American Honda/Acura being one of them). I believe it's a cost cutting measure where they figure the rust won't destroy the knuckle in the time frame that the majority of owners will own this vehicle. Second owners and post warranty be damned. Was talking about this the other day with my buds and manufacturing has really moved from probabilities without accurate means of predicting exact failure (so we over engineer) to computer assisted failure modeling with substantially better accuracy that the manufacturers are producing products with JUST enough lifetime to cover their liabilities to an acceptable level of risk.
I find that extremely disappointing for Honda and Acura. I expect that from the American brands (though I haven't seen this much rust on an american vehicle that new). Honda is known to build vehicles that will happily run longer than their owners want them to. The worst of all is the German brands, it feels like they only build vehicles to last the length of the warranty or lease period, then crap hits the fan and all hell is set loose.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Racer

I still wouldn't worry too much though. For the most part, it's surface oxidation that should NOT eat into the substrata of the material (unless you find holes). The parts that do bother me though, are where you have bolt holes and such. If thin enough material with sufficient amount of rusting, you could very well see those parts snap. The bolt ends are also annoying because now I have to use WD40 every time I want to get a nut off. Bah humbug.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-10-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I still wouldn't worry too much though. For the most part, it's surface oxidation that should NOT eat into the substrata of the material (unless you find holes). The parts that do bother me though, are where you have bolt holes and such. If thin enough material with sufficient amount of rusting, you could very well see those parts snap. The bolt ends are also annoying because now I have to use WD40 every time I want to get a nut off. Bah humbug.
My issue with rust is that it tends to "crawl" once it begins. So you may only have it on that part, then you start getting it on the undercarriage and springs and then it gets to the body, if it is this bad in 200 miles, I don't even want to see it in 50-100 thousand miles. Between this and the new 9-speed, I am losing faith in Acura.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:08 PM
5th Gear

Sadly, the dealer said theres nothing they can do about it. He said it does not impact the drivability of the vehicle. Im going to see if i can brush it off and spray rustoleum on it
Old 07-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Racer

Wonder if you want to try brake caliper paint instead? The knuckles are relatively close to the brake components (heat) and are susceptible to lots of vibrations (and fodder), so thinking those brake caliper paints might be more resilient. Then again, Rustoleum is used on BBQs, so they will at least stand up to heat.

Remember to use brake cleaner before you start! Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by neoshi; 07-09-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by steelm3
Sadly, the dealer said theres nothing they can do about it. He said it does not impact the drivability of the vehicle. Im going to see if i can brush it off and spray rustoleum on it
Well that is both shocking and disappointing. Very very surprised that they wouldn't do anything about it. However from a cost stand point I understand why they told you no, because the new part will most likely do the same thing again.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Intermediate

Had a call with my Service Manager. He said it was something that he has seen for the last 2 years on 7 out of 10 vehicles on the lot. He said it was a coating that Honda uses that develops surface rust when mixed with humidity - moisture. I tend to agree with him as mine has a slick, wet like feel. Not dry granules like rust normally has. The real kicker is he said it is almost entirely gone by the first or second oil change. That I will have to see for myself!
Old 07-11-2015, 11:19 AM
AcuraEnthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Wonder if you want to try brake caliper paint instead? The knuckles are relatively close to the brake components (heat) and are susceptible to lots of vibrations (and fodder), so thinking those brake caliper paints might be more resilient. Then again, Rustoleum is used on BBQs, so they will at least stand up to heat.

Remember to use brake cleaner before you start! Let us know how it turns out.
Be very careful spraying anything close to the rubber parts as it could cause unwanted issues such as cracking or tears. If you do attempt to spray over it, cover the the parts around where you are spraying.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gtinmia
Be very careful spraying anything close to the rubber parts as it could cause unwanted issues such as cracking or tears. If you do attempt to spray over it, cover the the parts around where you are spraying.
Yup, I would actually recommend BRUSHING on the caliper paint instead of spraying, but not everyone likes to be on their back that long
Old 07-13-2015, 05:27 PM
3rd Gear

Getting the seat track rust fixed by Acura

I am thankful that the Acura client representative and Acura dealer decide to fix the seat track rust for me. I am hoping to move over the issue once it is fixed.

Honestly I like the nimble ride of the MDX with the "Sport" IDS option. It is a nice vehicle, but Acura needs to get their act together. It is a shock to me having rust in a brand new 50 grand vehicle.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Racer

That's great news! I have yet to check my tracks. I'll probably have a look in a few hours. That is a thin enough piece that rust would eat right through it and you would be probably sitting in a rocking chair after a while.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Racer

Well i checked my car and i can tell you the rust is pervasive throughout all the seats. My rusting isn't as bad as yours yet but I'm sure it will get there. You may want to ask them to check all seats.

Having tinkered with cars for years, it is disappointing to see this stuff in the interior. With the thin pieces we're dealing with here, we may have a long term issue.

Funny how my 10 year old Subaru only rusts on the outside where I've hit the subframe on rocks during offroading..
Old 07-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Rust issues are happening on BMWs as well

OMG! What is this rust about? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Old 07-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Racer

Yes, it is normal to a degree, though in my experience, I haven't seen rust as prominent as what I've seen in cars made after around 07/08 time frame. We're starting to see more and more mild steel use without any sort of coating which then leads to whole pieces being fully surface rusted by the time you buy your car.

You have to watch it, depending on the thickness of the pieces rusting, for any signs of degradation to the structure. Also keep track of the welds. On cars like the Hyundai Genesis, I've seen rusting around the spot welds, which eventually gave way and had to be re-welded. Also, you need to consider how long you're planning to keep the car and where you live. If five years or less (like most BMWs), just forget about the rusting. If more, and if you live by the ocean like me, then you may want to consider some rust inhibitors (alternatively, extended warranty).

This kind of stuff were more issues I had to worry about with cheap cars in my younger years. Not so much $50k+ cars being sold as premium/semi-lux.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Acura Client Relations Response

In reference to my complaint about my suspension spindles being completely coated in a rust like substance as well as the seat track bolts (2016 SH-AWD Tech, 200 miles when noticed), I finally have some feedback from Acura Client Relations. (They initially blew me off and said to go see my dealer.) After letting them know that wasn't acceptable and that my Service Manager didn't really know why it was occurring either. I finally heard back.

Suspension - Response was that yes, it is rust on untreated parts. It is not a defect. It's just the way it is.

Seat Track Bolts - Response was yes, it is rust on untreated parts and it is not a defect. It's just the way it is.

Not sure what I was expecting, but honestly it feels like they couldn't give a shit less. Makes me regret purchasing this car I actually really like. I would have at least expected to hear, "Hey, I totally get it. I wouldn't want rust on my 3 week old, $50,000+ car either. We will look into our manufacturing processes and see what is causing this rust. While we stand by that it doesn't effect the integrity of the parts, we know customers will be horrified the first time we see it." How hard was that?

Not sure how I feel now. Just disappointed as I was hoping I had found a brand I could believe in and be loyal too.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Not sure what I was expecting, but honestly it feels like they couldn't give a shit less. Makes me regret purchasing this car I actually really like. I would have at least expected to hear, "Hey, I totally get it. I wouldn't want rust on my 3 week old, $50,000+ car either. We will look into our manufacturing processes and see what is causing this rust. While we stand by that it doesn't effect the integrity of the parts, we know customers will be horrified the first time we see it." How hard was that?

Not sure how I feel now. Just disappointed as I was hoping I had found a brand I could believe in and be loyal too.
After dealing with Acura Client Relations for 2 years on the shock issues, I came to the conclusion that I could have a more intelligent conversation with a fence post.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Racer

In reference to my complaint about my suspension spindles being completely coated in a rust like substance as well as the seat track bolts (2016 SH-AWD Tech, 200 miles when noticed), I finally have some feedback from Acura Client Relations. (They initially blew me off and said to go see my dealer.) After letting them know that wasn't acceptable and that my Service Manager didn't really know why it was occurring either. I finally heard back.

Suspension - Response was that yes, it is rust on untreated parts. It is not a defect. It's just the way it is.

Seat Track Bolts - Response was yes, it is rust on untreated parts and it is not a defect. It's just the way it is.

Yeah at this point, I just plan to make a ruckus by filing case after case.

A part of me thinks that perhaps the issue has to do with the fact that the car is pretty much the same from the base model all the way up to the Advance model. The differences are mainly in tech, so everything else stays at the quality level of the base. Told myself with my last car, where the base was a $22k vehicle and the top was a $34k vehicle that had pretty much the $22k interior with more leather seating, that I would look out for this kind of practice again. Lo and behold, I forgot.