License Plate Frames

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 534 Likes on 272 Posts
License Plate Frames

Alright, I'm going to ask one of the dumbest questions ever. Does anyone know of a good quality license plate frame? I want to remove the dealerships advertisements and I was considering this one:

Amazon Amazon

However, it's expensive and I'm not sure a frame is worth that much money. If I spend that much, I was considering the WeatherTech clear frames which are supposed to be of high quality.

Amazon Amazon

I was considering a plate cover with the Chicago Blackhawks logo but all of those either look tacky or the cheap imitation chrome becomes worn down quickly. The frame I really wanted was the WeatherTech Clear Cover but any license plate frame that covers the plate with a lens is illegal in Illinois.

Any suggestions? My main concern is it either having something to do with Acura in general, TSX, or a plain cover such as the WeatherTech one. I just don't want to spend money doing this and than have it fade in the middle of winter. And no, I'm not wanting to go without a frame.

Thanks for your "complicated" research that I'm sure my question is to bring. Ceb and Pyro, I'm looking at you...
Old 07-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts
I think they're all cheap. But I had my "cheap chrome" Florida Gators plate frame since december and it holding up pretty nice. My plate is made out of metal and my cousin had her's on her car for 6 years now so I'm sure the metal ones will do you justice.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:05 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by BaoZZeR
I think they're all cheap. But I had my "cheap chrome" Florida Gators plate frame since december and it holding up pretty nice. My plate is made out of metal and my cousin had her's on her car for 6 years now so I'm sure the metal ones will do you justice.
Were your frames like any of the ones shown on this site:
http://www.autoplates.com/store/spor...108_10113.html

Just select your sport and than team. I had a Cubs one from there that was messed up quickly but it may of been bad luck. It wasn't expensive so no loss but still.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:01 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Camisasca Manufacturing ( http://www.camincusa.com/CLIENTS.html)

They are 100% made in the USA and the highest quality. They make frames for the major car manufacturers. The PCA (Porsche Club of America) uses them, too.

You can get them from certain vendors including this place in Aptos CA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTT6evZo7UE&feature=player_embedded#!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a perimeter frame from Autozone. It doesn't block any part of the license plate. Quality is decent.

http://www.cruiserframes.com/page.as...eter&prodid=54

http://www.cruiserframes.com/page.as...eter&prodid=53
Old 07-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Question. Whats the point of license plate frames? Especially one that is just plain black or silver. In Texas it is apparently illegal to have them, even though they come like that from the dealership and 99% of people never take those off.

Unless of course you get one like this:

Attachment 114294

Last edited by opboarding; 07-20-2012 at 09:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by opboarding:
MC MiYoung3269 (07-22-2012), VortexBlueTSX (07-26-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
it is illegal in Texas to have license plate frames...
Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 AM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Carbon Fiber license plate frame.
http://www.jdpengineering.com/jdpcar.../license1.html
I heard it adds 10 WHP!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Alright, I'm going to ask one of the dumbest questions ever. Does anyone know of a good quality license plate frame? I want to remove the dealerships advertisements and I was considering this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Acura-Black-Li...se+plate+frame

However, it's expensive and I'm not sure a frame is worth that much money. If I spend that much, I was considering the WeatherTech clear frames which are supposed to be of high quality.

http://www.amazon.com/WeatherTech-63...ch+clear+frame

I was considering a plate cover with the Chicago Blackhawks logo but all of those either look tacky or the cheap imitation chrome becomes worn down quickly. The frame I really wanted was the WeatherTech Clear Cover but any license plate frame that covers the plate with a lens is illegal in Illinois.

Any suggestions? My main concern is it either having something to do with Acura in general, TSX, or a plain cover such as the WeatherTech one. I just don't want to spend money doing this and than have it fade in the middle of winter. And no, I'm not wanting to go without a frame.

Thanks for your "complicated" research that I'm sure my question is to bring. Ceb and Pyro, I'm looking at you...
I have the WeatherTech plate on my MDX and love the look. Plain but a very nice look when on.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
you could go for the azine license plate http://www.cafepress.com/theacurazinestore.634391952

in Jersey plate frames are also illegal.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
it is illegal in Texas to have license plate frames...
license plate frames that cover North Carolina or the reg. sticker are illegal in NC-yet I see numerous frames that do.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:45 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
lol i just rock no plate frame.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Mine is an authentic genuine limited edition yellow lettered on black plastic Los Angeles Lakers frame. Best frame I've ever had second only to the Weir Canyon Acura frame that was originally on it.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by frainc
I have the WeatherTech plate on my MDX and love the look. Plain but a very nice look when on.
That's what I was thinking because I'd like something more plain. I know it says WeatherTech on the clear one but it's subtle. I could always avoid shipping by picking it up at their warehouse as it's only 6 miles from my house. We'll see, some of these opinions are great too. I'm beginning to think that an Acura branded plate might be overkill seeing as the car has the emblems already.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
first a comment:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remove the dealer plate frames.........when i see them on cars that are sorta modded I get a good laugh/

get some altec frames. i got theones without lenses as I was pulled over once for them.......dick head cop filling his quota.

mine are colormatched to my Jeep but dont look BAD on the GLM.....

can see the rear one here......
Name:  gg5.jpg
Views: 2027
Size:  87.3 KB
Old 07-21-2012, 09:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by robpp
first a comment:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remove the dealer plate frames.........when i see them on cars that are sorta modded I get a good laugh/

get some altec frames. i got theones without lenses as I was pulled over once for them.......dick head cop filling his quota.

mine are colormatched to my Jeep but dont look BAD on the GLM.....

can see the rear one here......
Hey, watch that mouth! I'm a Criminal Justice major and I'm working on getting into a department. I take offense to that considering quotas are highly illegal.

Okay, lol I can't hold a straight face. Some cops are dicks but I promise I won't be.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Graphite Ghost

^^^^^^^^^^^ i dont mean any offense. i have friends that are LEOs. But just like any other group there are always a few !

he followed me for a bit.....must have know I was clear.....but yanked me over anyway. then did a walk around and came back with the plate frame lens comment. I have a 'carry permit' so I know the deal....all windows down. hands on top of wheel. at least until they ask me if i am carrying that day. i was polite and coformed. he gave me an equipment violation anyway.

so I apologize to the many.....but cant excuse the few/
Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 PM
AZ Community Team

^^^^^^^^^^^ i dont mean any offense. i have friends that are LEOs. But just like any other group there are always a few !

he followed me for a bit.....must have know I was clear.....but yanked me over anyway. then did a walk around and came back with the plate frame lens comment. I have a 'carry permit' so I know the deal....all windows down. hands on top of wheel. at least until they ask me if i am carrying that day. i was polite and coformed. he gave me an equipment violation anyway.

so I apologize to the many.....but cant excuse the few/
I was kidding about being offended. I've met some dick head officers too. They think that they're above the law when their nothing more than citizens protecting other citizens.
The following users liked this post:
robpp (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Geez... I don't get why the plate frames are illegal in some states. Yours (@Robpp) wasn't obscuring anything and looks quite clean and tasteful. Now, if you had a "Hello Kitty" frame...
Old 07-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Graphite Ghost

Originally Posted by WheelMcCoy
Geez... I don't get why the plate frames are illegal in some states. Yours (@Robpp) wasn't obscuring anything and looks quite clean and tasteful. Now, if you had a "Hello Kitty" frame...

oh maybe I confused this: HE GAVE ME A VIOLATION for having a clear LENS on the frame. but officer did told me ANYTHING on top of the plate is illegal.

i chose to put the frame back on after i had the ticket corrected. I just removed the lens for now.

mine allows clear view of all numbers and stickers so I feel like I wont be bothered for it.

i should say most LEO in CO dont bother you for petty stuff. I have 15% tint on my XJ for 14 years and NEVER had an officer even say anything about it. (as he jinxes himself LOL)
Old 07-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Graphite Ghost

I was kidding about being offended. I've met some dick head officers too. They think that they're above the law when their nothing more than citizens protecting other citizens.

I know bro. I didnt take it the wrong way.

I just wanted to be clear on my position/
Old 07-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by stewxQQ
I use a perimeter frame from Autozone. It doesn't block any part of the license plate. Quality is decent.

http://www.cruiserframes.com/page.as...eter&prodid=54

http://www.cruiserframes.com/page.as...eter&prodid=53
I use these as well on the front and back with a smoked plate cover and it looks pretty decent - simple and clean.

The frames are metal too - well at leat the ones I got.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:32 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a FlexyFrame on my TSX and a BumpShox 2.0 on my other vehicle. People love bump parking in NYC.

http://www.flexyframe.com

http://www.bumpshox.com/
Old 07-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I bought this one for my girl and me cheap and works good.
http://goo.gl/G52ry
Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Membered Register

Received 161 Likes on 113 Posts
argh this brings me back to my conundrum about how you affix the bolts in the two bottom holes (nh). still haven't figured that out yet...
Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts
Were your frames like any of the ones shown on this site:
http://www.autoplates.com/store/spor...108_10113.html

Just select your sport and than team. I had a Cubs one from there that was messed up quickly but it may of been bad luck. It wasn't expensive so no loss but still.
No those suck! My other friend has it in that kind of font and it faded in less than a week. I bought mine from stockdale on amazon and found out its exactly the same ones that are sold in the mall/campus/local souvenir shops here. If you want another cubs one try going to the mall and finding them on those stands and make sure it's metal to save 7 bucks (amazon retails the plates for the same cost as it would cost at the mall but you have to pay for shipping)
Old 07-22-2012, 11:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by BaoZZeR
No those suck! My other friend has it in that kind of font and it faded in less than a week. I bought mine from stockdale on amazon and found out its exactly the same ones that are sold in the mall/campus/local souvenir shops here. If you want another cubs one try going to the mall and finding them on those stands and make sure it's metal to save 7 bucks (amazon retails the plates for the same cost as it would cost at the mall but you have to pay for shipping)
I have Amazon Prime so if its shipped by Amazon its free shipping. But I doubt they carry the one I'll end up with. I can't believe that its been so tough to decide on a plate cover. Lol
Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Graphite Ghost

Originally Posted by drivedata
argh this brings me back to my conundrum about how you affix the bolts in the two bottom holes (nh). still haven't figured that out yet...

do you mean the holes on the lower grille that they attach the plate frame to?

on my 12they use those metal threaded things that slide on......."U" Nuts/ like this
The following users liked this post:
drivedata (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
This is an INTENSE discussion for license plate frames lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. NC:
drivedata (07-23-2012), robpp (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 01:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
oh maybe I confused this: HE GAVE ME A VIOLATION for having a clear LENS on the frame. but officer did told me ANYTHING on top of the plate is illegal.

i chose to put the frame back on after i had the ticket corrected. I just removed the lens for now.

mine allows clear view of all numbers and stickers so I feel like I wont be bothered for it.

i should say most LEO in CO dont bother you for petty stuff. I have 15% tint on my XJ for 14 years and NEVER had an officer even say anything about it. (as he jinxes himself LOL)
Correct. While license plate frames that do not obscure any part of the lettering on the plate are legal, ANY cover (even clear) violates the law.

Why? There are actually a couple of reasons. Covers tend to discolor with age, fog up in bad weather and may reflect sunlight (or photo flash) making the plate unreadable. They may also interfere with automatic license plate readers (ALPR) recognition.

You may agree or disagree but that's the law.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Membered Register

Received 161 Likes on 113 Posts
and then ceb shows up and shit really gets real
The following 3 users liked this post by drivedata:
ed_423 (07-23-2012), MC MiYoung3269 (07-24-2012), VortexBlueTSX (07-26-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Correct. While license plate frames that do not obscure any part of the lettering on the plate are legal, ANY cover (even clear) violates the law.

Why? There are actually a couple of reasons. Covers tend to discolor with age, fog up in bad weather and may reflect sunlight (or photo flash) making the plate unreadable. They may also interfere with automatic license plate readers (ALPR) recognition.

You may agree or disagree but that's the law.
i'd say you're correct, but i'd be lying. in the state of new jersey, license plate frames are illegal. the white outline on the frame must be visible, the only thing on the plate should be the 4 screws, and yes all 4 must be there lol
Old 07-26-2012, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by turning japanese
Camisasca Manufacturing ( http://www.camincusa.com/CLIENTS.html)

They are 100% made in the USA and the highest quality. They make frames for the major car manufacturers. The PCA (Porsche Club of America) uses them, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEMu4XkjbXg

You can get them from certain vendors including this place in Aptos CA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTT6evZo7UE&feature=player_embedded#!
Thanks for the kind words Turning Japanese!

As you alluded to, most of the high end OEMs (Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche, etc.) use Camisasca frames because we use only the best quality stainless steel, and we thoroughly test our products for long term quality. (In fact, we guarantee all our products for 4 years)

It seems like there's some confusion regarding license plate frames so I would like to shed some light on the legality from state to state. Yes, we know that certain states do not allow blocking the center bottom or center top, however our slimline license plate frames (narrow all the way around) are 50 state compliant.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:21 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
i'd say you're correct, but i'd be lying. in the state of new jersey, license plate frames are illegal. the white outline on the frame must be visible, the only thing on the plate should be the 4 screws, and yes all 4 must be there lol
While it might be fun to try to find me wrong, but this isn't your time.

From the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission website:

"Even though license plates have evolved from one uniform look to the array of custom plates available today, there are still regulations for customizing your plates. No frames or covers can obscure any letters on a New Jersey license plate."

Now, it should be noted that NJ is quite anal about enforcing this law and it includes obscuring any part of the state and motto, but my statement remains factually correct and the website statement is virtually identical to my post.

Try again bud.

You know, this isn't a competition to find fault with my posts. Just because I happen to know the law and understand that you need to know the law, the penalties and the possibilities of enforcement before you can make an educated decision about breaking the law.

Picking on my comments doesn't change the law.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXKid2010
Carbon Fiber license plate frame.
http://www.jdpengineering.com/jdpcar.../license1.html
I heard it adds 10 WHP!
You know i have to get these now right...... -_-