Fluid Leak? Engine mount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 04:17 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fluid Leak? Engine mount?

My 2000 TL hitting 100k very soon. I noticed an oil spot on my driveway about 2 weeks ago and I found out the fluid was coming from around the side engine mount. Originally I thought it was some rusty water so I wiped it dry and check back later.

I opened the hood this morning and I saw the area is getting wet again. I don't know if there any liquid filled inside the engine mount or it is just rubber? If the fluid is not from the engine mount, where is the leak come from?

Any ideas? Will it be covered under warranty?

Thanks

Old 10-21-2007, 04:25 PM
08 Civic SI

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
time for a new side mount.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Intermediate

you will probably need the front mount too
Old 10-22-2007, 07:46 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
there is no fluid in the side mount to my knowledge. when i took mine out it was basically just a rubber bushing. i really don't think it's fluid filled. no idea where that rust colored liquid is coming from either.

it can't hurt to replace the mount though.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the front and rear mounts are oil filled- the sides and trans mounts are normal type

Look inside your radiator- does it match the color of the fluid thats leaking?
If so, you may have a leaking water pump

No its not warranty

but at 100k- hows your transmission doing? warranty runs out at 109K on that
Maybe its leaking trans fluid internally (fingers crossed) and that gets you a new unit free!!
and the front motor mount is way easier to change (less labor) with the trans removed

Check all the fluid levels- engine oil cold- coolant cold-
trans, warm from 15 minutes freeway cruise- stop- put in park- shut OFF engine- remove yellow dipstick and wipe- insert fully- remove and should be between the 2 dots

Find out what fluid is missing and we can help you from there

Have you registered your car here?
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura
tells you all about its warranty history
Old 10-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Service book calls for new water pump, timing belt& tensioner and spark plugs at 105k
thats the regular schedule- depending on your conditions, say... living on Earth,
you may need to do it early.
Some members have gone well past that number with no problems, cars that drive long distances at a time seem to last longer.

If the timing belt breaks- very bad things instantly happen inside what used to be your engine
Dont drive it until you find out whats wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Overheating- blowing a head gasket- warping a cylinder head, all due to water pump failure, is a $2500 mistake, imagine what the whole engine co$$$$t

Expect 800 or so for the 105 full service
Ask for NGK Iridum spark plugs when they do it
Old 10-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
the front and rear have fluid in them. The sides do not. As for that liquid i doubt you have a leak. Its most likely moisture that has gotten between the rubber and the metal of the mount leaking out. (ive seen a few other members with this issue along with myself. Id look into replacing the front and side mounts for sure. And its not a warranty item anymore
Old 10-22-2007, 12:15 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the front and rear mounts are oil filled- the sides and trans mounts are normal type

Look inside your radiator- does it match the color of the fluid thats leaking?
If so, you may have a leaking water pump

No its not warranty

but at 100k- hows your transmission doing? warranty runs out at 109K on that
Maybe its leaking trans fluid internally (fingers crossed) and that gets you a new unit free!!
and the front motor mount is way easier to change (less labor) with the trans removed

Check all the fluid levels- engine oil cold- coolant cold-
trans, warm from 15 minutes freeway cruise- stop- put in park- shut OFF engine- remove yellow dipstick and wipe- insert fully- remove and should be between the 2 dots

Find out what fluid is missing and we can help you from there

Have you registered your car here?
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura
tells you all about its warranty history
My transmission is the original one, did the oil-jet kit when there was a recall. It's running fine so far (fingers crossed). Coolant level was low ( at the min level ) but I didn't check it when it was cold. I think it will be below the min level if the engine was cold. I just filled it with distill water for now and I will monitor it closely and see if there is any changes of the fluid level.

Engine oil level looks normal.

I will look inside the radiator when I get a chance.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:26 PM
7th Gear

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Service book calls for new water pump, timing belt& tensioner and spark plugs at 105k
thats the regular schedule- depending on your conditions, say... living on Earth,
you may need to do it early.
Some members have gone well past that number with no problems, cars that drive long distances at a time seem to last longer.

If the timing belt breaks- very bad things instantly happen inside what used to be your engine
Dont drive it until you find out whats wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Overheating- blowing a head gasket- warping a cylinder head, all due to water pump failure, is a $2500 mistake, imagine what the whole engine co$$$$t

Expect 800 or so for the 105 full service
Ask for NGK Iridum spark plugs when they do it
Timing belt and tensioner was changed at 85k, I was told by the mechanics water pump and spark plugs was in great shape and no need to change. Maybe I should change them no matter what when changing the belts . Brake fluid , transmission fluid was flush at the same time as well.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Read Post 7
Old 10-22-2007, 12:58 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
the front and rear have fluid in them. The sides do not. As for that liquid i doubt you have a leak. Its most likely moisture that has gotten between the rubber and the metal of the mount leaking out. (ive seen a few other members with this issue along with myself. Id look into replacing the front and side mounts for sure. And its not a warranty item anymore
thanks. But the fluid looks like oil when I soaked it with a white tissue paper. Do you know where will be the moisture come from? There got to be a lot of moisture in order to have it dripped onto the ground. I parked my car inside the garage. Time to quote and see how much to replace the front and side mounts.

By looking at the diagram below. What are the exactly parts I need to change?

Part-34
Part-7
Part-2 ( Do I need to change this )
Part-3 ( Do I need to change this )
Part-6 ( Do I need to change this )
Old 10-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Intermediate

jus 34 and 7
Old 10-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

The only fluid that could be over there is PS fluid and AC Refrigerant.

Look in your 2nd pic. You can see the liquid on the bottom of the rubber mount. If thats not it you need to search around and see where its coming from.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Talking

Yes, for all of you who are not certain or not sure, the side engine mount is filled with fluid as well 100%, whatever that fluid is.
This just happened to myself. I have 2002 TL regular, not type S with 135K KM, but they are the same.
I purchased the engine mount through the web for $45 and replaced it myself, fairly easy task.
You need to support the engine with jack and piece of wood under oil pan and you just have to unhook ABS modulator/pump to get access to it. You also need long handle braker bar or something similar to be able to unscrew that big screw that goes through it. And also longer extension. All in all, about 1 to 2 hours of work for us not that experienced.
I am in Canada and found this web site the cheapest possible:
http://www.bestpricecarparts.com/

That rubber filled with fluid cracks open around the edge and the fluid starts pissing all over the place. To my experience, even after all the fluid goes out of it, it will dry out and I did not notice any extra vibration, so you may not need to replace it at all. It is not anything critical for sure.

But I did mine anyway.
Just do not be fooled and ripped by the dealers without real need.
Let me know if you have any questions.

And, this is part number 7 from the pic above.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:37 AM
7th Gear

I went to the dealership this morning. The advisor and the mechanics both looked at it and they can't figure out where's the fluid came from. The mechanics even said only the front mount is liquid filled. He claimed that's rusty water. I personally don't think that's moisture, because some parts must get really cold then hot to have condensation.

Anyway, I will get the side-mount fixed and update you guys.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:58 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jjar03
Yes, for all of you who are not certain or not sure, the side engine mount is filled with fluid as well 100%, whatever that fluid is.
This just happened to myself. I have 2002 TL regular, not type S with 135K KM, but they are the same.
i never would have guessed. seems like a waste of effort to fill the side mount with fluid. i would have just designed it as a solid poly bushing. oh well, that's probably why i don't get paid the big bucks.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:57 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jjar03
I purchased the engine mount through the web for $45 and replaced it myself, fairly easy task.
You need to support the engine with jack and piece of wood under oil pan and you just have to unhook ABS modulator/pump to get access to it. You also need long handle braker bar or something similar to be able to unscrew that big screw that goes through it. And also longer extension. All in all, about 1 to 2 hours of work for us not that experienced.
I am in Canada and found this web site the cheapest possible:
http://www.bestpricecarparts.com/

That rubber filled with fluid cracks open around the edge and the fluid starts pissing all over the place. To my experience, even after all the fluid goes out of it, it will dry out and I did not notice any extra vibration, so you may not need to replace it at all. It is not anything critical for sure.

But I did mine anyway.
Just do not be fooled and ripped by the dealers without real need.
Let me know if you have any questions.

And, this is part number 7 from the pic above.
I am experiencing the exact same thing right now on my 2002 TL. Odd as it may seem, it appears to be oily anti-freeze as it is sweet to the taste (very very tiny amount!). What also appears to be inconsistent is the discrepancies on whether the side engine mount contains oil in this forum. Mine is the passenger side mount. Maybe its a Canadian thing lol.