2015 RDX Tech Navi Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 RDX Tech Navi Issues

I have never paid attention to the RDX Navi until last weekend. I travelled from Winnipeg to Thunder Bay ON and set both the RDX Navi & Garmin 1490 to go to the same physical address. The Garmin showed the correct mileage as did the RDX (1 KM difference). The DRIVING time was way different...

Garmin 7:57
RDX 9:32

So, when I noticed this I started changing both to be to different physical addresses and every time there was a discrepancy in travel time. The distance was always withing 2-3 KMs.

I thought one was wrong, so I hauled out the trust BlackBerry Z30 and SURPRISE it showed identical distance and time as the Garmin. Then I tried my Samsung galaxy Note 4....same as the Garmin & BlackBerry.

I had an appointment at the dealership this am, so I explained my findings and asked them to check...they checked a '15 RDX on the lot and it had the same firmware as my and my partners '15 RDXs so according to the dealer there is nothing wrong with the firmware.

I then asked some additional questions and they stated that the Garmin must be wrong. I then showed them all four devices and the different results...they said it is a different route. I then showed them the exact route each device was covering...all the same and yet the RDX was always incorrect on the TIME to travel. Distances were always the same.

I then tried the analogy of four RDXs all showing the exact same speed with a radar gun, GPS and a SmartPhone showing a different speed. They just couldn't care...all are the same so end of story regardless of the "same" being wrong.

Anyone else?

PS - the final comment by the service advisor is that my Acura MAP should be purchased and upgraded and that would fix the non existent problem. LOL
Old 08-15-2016, 09:05 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
The same thing occurs with my 2016 RDX. If I start a trip at 12:00 to a location I know is 2 hours away, the NAV system shows an ETA of 2:15. As the trip progresses the ETA continues to decrease until it shows an ETA of 2:00 as I arrive at my destination.

In reality I usually drive 90 kmh in an 80 kmh speed zone, or 12.6 % above the speed limit. If I drove the speed limit, this 2 hour trip would take 2:15. So it appears that the NAV system is calculating my ETA based on the speed limits of the roads, and that it is fairly accurate.

As you said , my Garmin can show an ETA that is accurate within 5 minutes, on a 6 hour trip, despite the fact that I am driving 12.6% above the speed limit. So perhaps it is the incorrect system.

To resolve the problem, I usually check for an ETA using Google maps before I start out on a trip that I haven't done before. I guess Garmin and Google calculate ETAs based on the driving speeds of the average driver, and they do not use speed limits in their calculations.