Changing exhaust note and suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Changing exhaust note and suspension

Recently purchased a 2016 rdx elite in CBP. Looks amazing, especially after detailing it for the last 6 hours!

I was wondering if there was a way to change how the exhaust sounds on the rdx. Ive been combing through the forums and there hasn't been much talk about swapping out the exhaust in the 2g rdx. TBH, I'm not looking for a huge performance boost, but would like a deeper growl. I'm coming from a 4g tl elite and I love the way that sounds. What are my options here?

Also, there hasn't been much talk about suspension on the 2g rdx either...I get that the rdx isn't suppose to have that super sporty feel but is there anyway to stiffen up and lower the suspension? I'm not too familiar with springs and coilovers so any help here would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 08-22-2016, 11:21 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyytruong
Recently purchased a 2016 rdx elite in CBP. Looks amazing, especially after detailing it for the last 6 hours!

I was wondering if there was a way to change how the exhaust sounds on the rdx. Ive been combing through the forums and there hasn't been much talk about swapping out the exhaust in the 2g rdx. TBH, I'm not looking for a huge performance boost, but would like a deeper growl. I'm coming from a 4g tl elite and I love the way that sounds. What are my options here?

Also, there hasn't been much talk about suspension on the 2g rdx either...I get that the rdx isn't suppose to have that super sporty feel but is there anyway to stiffen up and lower the suspension? I'm not too familiar with springs and coilovers so any help here would be appreciated. thanks!
The 2G doesn't have the aftermarket support like the 1G RDX or the 4G TL for that matter. The only way to gain a different exhaust tone would be to get a custom exhaust made by a muffler shop.

As for suspension I haven't seen or heard of any companies that offer lowering springs or coilovers but you could try contacting BC racing or one of the other suspension companies and see if they are willing to build one for you. The would most likely need the vehicle though. I would say you're better off keeping it factory and enjoying it as is. Just get some aftermarket wheels.

I have a 4G as well and love it. It would be nice if the RDX had at least a few aftermarket options.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
The 2G doesn't have the aftermarket support like the 1G RDX or the 4G TL for that matter. The only way to gain a different exhaust tone would be to get a custom exhaust made by a muffler shop.

As for suspension I haven't seen or heard of any companies that offer lowering springs or coilovers but you could try contacting BC racing or one of the other suspension companies and see if they are willing to build one for you. The would most likely need the vehicle though. I would say you're better off keeping it factory and enjoying it as is. Just get some aftermarket wheels.

I have a 4G as well and love it. It would be nice if the RDX had at least a few aftermarket options.
I've been on the hunt but it seems like aftermarket support for the 2g rdx is slim to none.

correct me if I'm wrong but i remember reading in the tl forums, something along the lines of doing a "cat delete" on the muffler/exhaust? would this be possible as well on the rdx?

as for the suspension, i only ask because compared to its competitors, the rdx sits pretty high. i enjoy seeing the look of a lowered suv with aftermarket wheels on them. would be awesome to achieve it with the new 2g, especially with the more aggressive and sporty body update.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:28 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^okay, I'll lay everything on the table. the engine that is in the 2nd gen RDX is the same engine that debuted in 1996.
ANYTHING that other Acura's have done, YOU CAN TOO!!!!!

the exhaust system is set up EXACTLY like other Acuras. What this means is that you can follow(Not to a T, because there are some changes) but follow other Acura's as a GUIDE, or a road map...

this means, you can very well cut out the mid-muffler or have an exhaust shop cut it out and weld in a straight pipe for $60 or less. this will net a little bit more noise on the cheap. if YOU still want more noise, ask the exhaust shop to cut out the resonator and weld in a straight pipe.

hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
^okay, I'll lay everything on the table. the engine that is in the 2nd gen RDX is the same engine that debuted in 1996.

the exhaust system is set up EXACTLY like other Acuras. What this means is that you can follow(Not to a T, because there are some changes) but follow other Acura's as a GUIDE, or a road map...

this means, you can very well cut out the mid-muffler or have an exhaust shop cut it out and weld in a straight pipe for $60 or less. this will net a little bit more noise on the cheap. if YOU still want more noise, ask the exhaust shop to cut out the resonator and weld in a straight pipe.

hope this helps.
ill definitely head to the mechanic when I can and see what I can do. Thanks for the info
with all of this being said, if I wanted performance gains as well and not just more sound, would swapping out the exhaust be possible as well?

with any of these exhaust mods, would it also void my warranty?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:26 AM

because each vehicle is different, the exhaust set up might also differ just a little bit.
with that being said, you're going to have to look for a specific exhaust that fits!

RV6 has the Pre-cat deletes for the RDX
https://rv6-p.com/rdx/rdx-2nd-gen

this is the best bang for the buck, as it frees up about 15hp.

but thats not really an exhaust system, more of a component that will provide HP, BUT is illegal in ALL states because you're removing catalytic convertors.

also, the PCDs come with a defouler to trick the ECU into thinking that its recieving the correct Air/Fuel ratio
High flow cats dont need this trick

Last edited by justnspace; 08-23-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:28 AM

also, warranties are funny.
the LAW says the auto manufacture has to PROVE the aftermarket part caused the failed OEM part, if any OEM parts fail.

exhausts generally do not affect other parts of the car.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
If you can do high flow precats or precat deletes and get a jpipe made, you'll gain a nice tone as well as performance with factory exhaust. There is a thread in here where one of the members has been doing performance mods such as j37 intake manifold, k&n intake, jpipe etc. it's all possible with some slight modifications.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Just an update..

after a lot of reading and researching through the forums, I decided to start with a 'stage 1' exhaust
i went to a shop that a friend recommended, he gets all his work done there. I told them I wanted to gain some sound and a little more of a growl
he told me that cutting the mid muffler and straight piping it would make little to no difference and that I'd be better off deleting the resonator and straight piping that instead.

i was a bit thrown off now because I didn't know what to do. Hardest part is that there are little to no videos or sound clips of a 2nd gen rdx with exhaust mods so I was going off what I've been reading in the tl forums. I decided to stay true to what I've read so far and went with the mid muffler instead

once complete, I expected a bit more of a rumble...did not sound the way I expected lol. The shop owner was right. It made little to no difference and now I'm confused on where to go from here...my plan was to go to a stage 3 after this but with the minimal difference the stage 1 made, should i just delete the res and straight pipe that as well?
Old 10-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Just swap the rear large muffler for an aftermarket one. I've replaced mine with a Magnaflow. I have a custom Jpipe with 3rd cat delete as well.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chupp
Just swap the rear large muffler for an aftermarket one. I've replaced mine with a Magnaflow. I have a custom Jpipe with 3rd cat delete as well.
i wasn't aware that magnaflow had come out with a muffler for the 2g rdx..can you send a link?

i want to stay away from touching the stock rear muff so if theres a bolt on that i can purchase, i might just do that instead.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've used an universal one and went to an exhaust shop. Here the link:

http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12266
Old 03-12-2017, 11:18 AM
TX-RDX Owner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This thread appears dead. However, I had a reputable exhaust shop near me remove the resonator on the exhaust yesterday and it made a noticeable difference. I will try to upload a good video.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
IMO the 2nd gen RDX wasn't meant for heavy mods nor do 99.9% of people that buy this vehicle care to do so, including myself. Some mods like wheels/tires or some cosmetics, sure, OK. But exhaust, suspension, and engine mods? Why?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CentralARguy
This thread appears dead. However, I had a reputable exhaust shop near me remove the resonator on the exhaust yesterday and it made a noticeable difference. I will try to upload a good video.
Thanks for the tip. I actually went with this same route after a while of reading and while it doesn't have that same growl that many other resonator deletes and muffler deletes have, I can notice the small difference and im satisfied with it. Would love to see that video though, to compare it to the sound of mine

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
IMO the 2nd gen RDX wasn't meant for heavy mods nor do 99.9% of people that buy this vehicle care to do so, including myself. Some mods like wheels/tires or some cosmetics, sure, OK. But exhaust, suspension, and engine mods? Why?
I understand that the rdx may not have been intended for "heavy mods" but no one made any mention of that. I don't believe modding an exhaust would be considered "heavy", due to the fact that it can easily be reversed. Suspension, along with wheels/tires, go hand in hand since they both affect ride quality. Engine mods? I don't believe there was any mention of that, from me at least

Most of us just want to enjoy the car that we're driving and if changing the exhaust or adding aftermarket wheels on it makes it that much more enjoyable, why hate on it?
Old 03-19-2017, 12:10 PM
TX-RDX Owner

Originally Posted by johnnyytruong
Thanks for the tip. I actually went with this same route after a while of reading and while it doesn't have that same growl that many other resonator deletes and muffler deletes have, I can notice the small difference and im satisfied with it. Would love to see that video though, to compare it to the sound of min.
Nice to know I'm not the only one Haha. I want to correct my earlier post and say they did a MID MUFFLER delete, not a resonator. The stock resonator is still on. I'm actually having them remove that and install a Dynomax muffler (race bullet) this week to see if that makes a more aggressive sound. I've seen so many TL owners have good results from this mod.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:21 PM
TX-RDX Owner

Here is a video of how it sounds now.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CentralARguy
Nice to know I'm not the only one Haha. I want to correct my earlier post and say they did a MID MUFFLER delete, not a resonator. The stock resonator is still on. I'm actually having them remove that and install a Dynomax muffler (race bullet) this week to see if that makes a more aggressive sound. I've seen so many TL owners have good results from this mod.
When i was at the shop getting mine done, I was confused as to which part was the res and which was the mid muffler. In the end, I just removed both and straight piped it. I'm debating whether or not to toy around some more since I've had this setup for a while and I'm not satisfied just yet..

I'm thinking of either throwing the mid muffler and res back on and doing a rear muffler delete OR staying with what I have now and installing a magnaflow muffler. I ultimately just want a deeper, sportier sound without increasing the drone inside the cabin too much

here's a sound clip right after i got it done:
Old 05-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace

hope this helps.
I'd prefer to do a bolt in replacement mid-muffler and resonator... i.e. no cutting/welding. Looking online, havent seen any. Any ideas??
Old 12-27-2017, 01:43 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Because why not? If you're perfectly content driving a stock vehicle then good for you. Exhaust and suspension are heavy mods? Lol there are no mods for the j35 in any platform that are "heavy"
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by radicalrad
I'd prefer to do a bolt in replacement mid-muffler and resonator... i.e. no cutting/welding. Looking online, havent seen any. Any ideas??
i haven't kept up with the development of the RDX modifications...
if there arent any companies pre-fabbing exhaust kits that would cost the consumer well over a grand, then there arent any exhaust kits that you can bolt in...
Old 12-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The mid muffler and res are in a whole section which no one is gonna have made already so the options are cut and replace or fully built custom bent piece
justnspace (12-27-2017)
Old 01-02-2018, 05:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bfaucett
The mid muffler and res are in a whole section which no one is gonna have made already so the options are cut and replace or fully built custom bent piece
Since starting this thread, I’ve done a few mods to the exhaust. I opted to have a pipe fabricated instead of just cutting the res and mid muff out so if I wanted/needed to throw the stock parts back in, it wouldn’t be too much of a hassle. Flanges were added to the custom pipe to make it easy to bolt on and offI wasn’t a huge fan of the sound and exhaust note that was coming out of it, sounded tin can like so I had an axelback fabricated as well. I swapped out the stock muffler for a magnaflow and it turned out a lot to be very close to the sound I was trying to achieve. A nice deep growl with minimal drone. You won’t hear it from a mile away but when I put my foot down, it sounds pretty good
justnspace (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 06:28 AM

Good! thank you for doing what you are supposed to do...
Experimenting with sound by changing out stock pieces til you enjoy the sound.
That's the only correct way to do it.

other people dont like to do this and then complain about the shitty sound. well, no shit Sherlock Holmes! experiment til you achieve the sound you want