Flapping noise behind dash when key is turned to the "on position" 2001 Acura CL

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flapping noise behind dash when key is turned to the "on position" 2001 Acura CL

Hello,

I have searched for a solution for this issue and have yet to find anything so I am now posting it here. Every time I go to start my car, it makes a weird flapping noise from under the dash somewhere in the middle behind the radio area (could be closer to passenger side) almost like there is a little heater/AC door that is opening and closing repetitively. It will only make the noise for about 10 seconds than it goes away however, it will do it every time I turn the key to the "on position" and/or start the car. The dealership said they didn't know what it is. Has anyone had this issue before and if so, what did you do to fix it? I appreciate your time and insight!

Cheers,
-Brandon
Old 09-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

After doing several hours of research, it could possibly be the air mix control motor that is malfunctioning. I will take a closer look at this component and report back with an update!
Old 09-15-2016, 06:58 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
The climate system has a built-in diagnostic you might try? never done it myself, but the instructions are in the OM (or in the SM)
Old 09-16-2016, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Interesting, I have not heard about this before. Thank you for the info, I will definitely look further into this!
Old 10-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Intermediate

So I have diagnosed and fixed the issue: The problem was the big/main gear located inside of the air mix control motor; the gear had 1 tooth shaved off which was causing the flapping noise. I picked up another one off a local part out and replaced it. Now there is no more ticking/flapping noise when turning the key to the "on position" and/or starting the vehicle! I hope this helps for those dealing with the same issue. If you need more advice and/or pics, please pm me and I will be happy to send over more info. Also, the gear can be flipped 180 degrees which will also fix the issue but I just chose to replace it entirely because I got a really good deal on the part. I don't recommend going to the Dealership to purchase a new one because they want around 300+ for it!!
Old 10-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts

i love follow-ups, thanks for doing so!