Hondata RDX Reflash - End User Reports!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:51 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I guess I still need to go through Church for mine. Saving up.

Last edited by JMJ3rd; 04-13-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Boost Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I got my Hondata reflash and I had a question. Isn't the rev limiter raised to 7200 from 6800?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:35 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by DeEjAy_LiM
So I got my Hondata reflash and I had a question. Isn't the rev limiter raised to 7200 from 6800?
You have to be in sport shift mode to get the extra rpms. It will stay at 6800 in full auto mode.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

So is there a Hondata reflash for the '09 models? And where can I get it done? Sorry for noob questions, I don't own an RDX but my friend does. She wanted to know.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Boost Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrgold35
You have to be in sport shift mode to get the extra rpms. It will stay at 6800 in full auto mode.
Yea, but sport shift mode still has the essential auto where the car controls the shifts, or you can control the shifts directly with the pads.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DaHandBanana
So is there a Hondata reflash for the '09 models? And where can I get it done? Sorry for noob questions, I don't own an RDX but my friend does. She wanted to know.
Yes is there is a reflash for the 09 RDX go to hondatas web site to find out the closest dealer to were you live at .
Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chinhman
Well the whole process took less than 4 hours for me since the authorized Hondata dealer that I went to is less than an hour away from Hondata.
Am I correct to assume that you paid the dealer and then took the vehicle yourself to Hondata to flash?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SinCity
Am I correct to assume that you paid the dealer and then took the vehicle yourself to Hondata to flash?
Not likely. The dealer probably took the ECU to hondata and brought it back to reinstall it.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:55 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Reflash

Wow. This was easy and so worth it.

Dropped off my ECU at the local dealer Monday after work. Fedex to Hondata - they receive it and fedex it back to me. I had it this morning at 10:30!
Less than 48 hrs.
$295 + tax / + 2 fedex shippers.

Plugged it back in and took her for a spin. Immediately notice the turbo spools up so much earlier and easier, both by the gauge and the sound. Low end acceleration is very noticeable. Someone mentioned their 'butt dyno' and yes - your butt dyno can detect it.
so can your ear dyno
your chubby dyno is quite happy too.

Wow. Quite satisfied.
Hondata
Old 06-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2010's?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Intermediate

So overall no negative thoughts/concerns about having the reflash done? No driveability issues, surging, etc.?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:47 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
No none!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Anyone know if this reflash will also pass CA smog? I didn't see anything on the Hondata site that said it would.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Intermediate

Excellent question and something I would be interested in hearing. XIS, where in SoCal did you go to get the reflash?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:46 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am from Phx...Valley of the Sun. I took it to a local shop that is an authorized dealer and Fedex did the transportation for me.

I dont 'think' it will cause any issues with cal smog tests because it actually leans the air/fuel ratio...
Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
Habu - Church Automotive/dyno in Wilmington CA will drive it to Hondata and you'll have it same day.

glnn01 - If anything it should do better at smog time. Leans the mixture so there would naturally be less unburnt fuel. People also report more mpg.

I don't keep track of mpg.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
My average mpgs before the reflash was about 18.5 to 19.5 between fill-ups, depending how I drove. I now seem to average around 20.0 to 21.0 between fill-ups. It has been unusually hot in ABQ (97-103 degrees) the last several weeks. My average mpgs have been consistently over 21 mpgs with the hot weather with the same driving pattern. I would think it would go down instead of up? Maybe another added benefit of the reflash. I usually spend about 60% on the hwy (175-225 miles per week).

I'm heading to Pueblo, CO, after the 4th of July (son has AAU regional track meet). Can't wait to see how she handles on the trip with the reflash, hwy mpgs, and mountain driving with the Eibach springs.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got the '09 RDX flashed (used a well-known import speed shop in Dallas, PM me for details). I was looking for only one thing: A reduction of torque management that is most evident with the incredibly annoying amount of turbo lag (no, that turbo doesn't really take that long to spool up...the delay is built in to reduce warranty claims...just as every other manufacturer does by reducing power in some way).

And the Hondata tune delivered! I'd say turbo lag has been reduced about 75%, maybe more. Smooth acceleration through 6000 RPM. Definitely worth the $390 paid (including my costs for overnight shipping...out Tuesday, back Thursday).

I track every tank of gas, so I'll post some mileage figures after I burn through a couple tanks.

Last edited by brianko; 06-24-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Racer

I just worry about the Warranty and the Long Term effects on the engine and engine components.

Why didn't Acura just tune it this way?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by bgillette79
....'cause despite their best efforts some idiots will still put regular gas in it.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:20 AM
El Chulo...

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Post love the turbo...

God knows I want that Reflash like you read about... starting to feel the itch...
Old 07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bgillette79
I just worry about the Warranty and the Long Term effects on the engine and engine components.

Because power sells, but power also increases warranty claims. Manufacturers want both...so they advertise X HP, but only deliver Y.

I do GM and Dodge tuning. All manufacturers implement "torque management" or "abuse management" (different names, same end result) that restricts the vehicle in terms of torque, power, and acceleration. So, while you might bite at the marketing figures, you're only getting a fraction of the performance you're paying for. I've had brand-new Dodge Rams on the dyno, and the torque curve is literally "flat-topped". No torque peak at all...the drivetrain simply stops delivering additional torque at some predetermined point. With electronic throttles, the computer can effectively override your throttle input. Ever floor a throttle-by-wire GM? That 1-second delay you get before the throttle actually decides to open is abuse mode management. GM has decided that it saves X cents per vehicle in terms of warranty repairs (spread across all its vehicles) if it restricts the throttle opening rate to Y.

I use GM and Dodge here as examples because these are the vehicles I'm familiar with, but all the manufacturers do this. Restricting power output isn't for your benefit. It's for the benefit of the manufacturer in terms of reducing warranty work.

Sure, using your turbo increases wear and tear. If you want your vehicle to last twice as long, acclerate slowly enough so the turbo doesn't kick in. Yes, it's possible. Then ask yourself, why did you both buying a turbo in the first place?

Anything performance-related you add to your vehicle will, in the end, reduce the life of some component. I don't care if it's a CAI, an aftermarket exhaust, or a tune. It's a tradeoff that one makes when they add aftermarket components. If manufacturers had their way, they'd lock the hood so only authorized personnel (i.e., their mechanics) could have access.

As for warranty issues, read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Realistically, a dealership can deny warranty work if they believe an aftermarket component contributed to the warranty claim. If you don't want to go down this road, I'd recommend not making any aftermarket modifications.

Sorry for being so long-winded, but it's a topic I know something about first-hand. Many GM and Dodge dealerships are "mod-friendly" and will work with their customers...some are not so "mod-friendly." YMMV when it comes to Acura dealers (but the smart money says there probably aren't many "mod-friendly" Acura dealers out there).
Old 07-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Cruisin'

Can't seem to edit posts...the first sentence in my diatribe above should have read:

"Because power sells, but power also increases warranty claims. Manufacturers want big sales but zero warranty claims...so they advertise X HP, but only deliver Y."
Old 07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brianko: Thanks for your explanation.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah I kinda figured that was the deal!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Cruisin'

Anyone know if I can eliminate the hondata dealer and send my ECU straight to HONDATA?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vicious_image
Anyone know if I can eliminate the hondata dealer and send my ECU straight to HONDATA?
The paperwork has to be done through a HONDATA dealer...but you can ship your own ECU. That's the route I took, even included a return FedEx label for them to use.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by glnn01
Anyone know if this reflash will also pass CA smog? I didn't see anything on the Hondata site that said it would.
Your fine smoging your Rdx with a reflash I had my 8th civic reflashed also and no problems with the smog and this was done in So Cal before I move out of state .
Old 07-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazycated
Your fine smoging your Rdx with a reflash I had my 8th civic reflashed also and no problems with the smog and this was done in So Cal before I move out of state .
Now that is the response I am wanting to hear. I wasn't planning on going with an aftermarket intake or exhaust. Stock components with just the reflash done. Thats pretty much what's holding me back from proceeding on with this mod. If anyone has any more similar stories in regards to reflash and passing smog, please share them. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Does the Reflash work for the 09-10 models?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by LC2ner
Does the Reflash work for the 09-10 models?
'09, yes (that's what I have). '10, unknown (but previous posts seem to indicate not). You can provide your HONDATA dealer with the last 5 alphanums of your ECU (mine is something like RWC-27A), and they can tell you whether or not your ECU is supported.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I was watching other threads and thought this thread would follow "I'm getting reflash..." Also EU reports is an excellent way steer the discussions in both threads.

Note: If you are rev'ing the car you'll notice that it limits at or around 5000 rpm while in "N" and "P" that happened prior to your flash as well. It is a valvetrain safety precaution. There is no need to worry, the RDX will go to redline while the vehicle in "D."

Pros:
- Best dollar to HP gain available for the RDX.
- Advancing ignition & increases boost 2 psi. (14 to 16)
- Better fuel efficiency. (17.9 to 22 mpg, local) YMMV
- Lowered turbo onset delay. (turbo lag)
- Minimizes the need for more performance parts for non-enthusiast.
- Base for future upgrades (if they become avail.) for the enthusiast.

Cons:
- Something I forgot goes here.
- Only 07-08 supported. ( http://www.hondata.com/reflash.html )
- Something else goes here.
- Down time.
- Price. (I know but hey, we are in a bad economy.)

Other thoughts:
- Based on the K&N intake and flash alone I was seeing 23-25 mpg on 91 octane in California, and an aggressive feeling like it might take any car 30-? mph. Hondata mentions that the butt-dyno is not accurate in measuring the performance increase, and is subjective to the driver.I aggree to some extent, but there is a big difference between a new Mitsu Lancer and an Evolution X, as an example, as far as Performance goes. If my wife drives both cars no diff. If I drive the cars, only the Evo will have everyone grabbing the OS-handles, toddler too, and the difference is definitly felt across the all butt dynos. With the RDX re-flash you'll feel the accelleration slightly increase.

- The BOV (Air bypass Valve) turbo got a little louder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp6lDn7JQ_0

- In Kansas I noticed that Ethenol "spiked" gas really doesn't help mpg's suffered almost 4 mpg's now back to where I started. However, still seems aggressive, (than before re-flash) aswell.
- No noticable increase in exhaust sound noted, interior or exterior.
- I said it in another discussion that it will void your warranty, not recommended for the "feint-of-heart."
- I'd also recommend that you don't "soup-up" mom's car, for that fact the grandparent's car. Unless they really dig that kinda stuff.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:11 PM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
^ correction.. they reflash for the 09s too they just dont have it updated on there site.

side thought has anyone looked into Motec piggy back or the Haltech? i know its becomming more and more used in the TSX community since hondata stopped producing the Kpro setup.. it would give the RDX an actuall tuning option for the turbo and the A/F ratio..
Old 10-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaze66218
I was watching other threads and thought this thread would follow "I'm getting reflash..." Also EU reports is an excellent way steer the discussions in both threads.

Note: If you are rev'ing the car you'll notice that it limits at or around 5000 rpm while in "N" and "P" that happened prior to your flash as well. It is a valvetrain safety precaution. There is no need to worry, the RDX will go to redline while the vehicle in "D."

Pros:
- Best dollar to HP gain available for the RDX.
- Advancing ignition & increases boost 2 psi. (14 to 16)
- Better fuel efficiency. (17.9 to 22 mpg, local) YMMV
- Lowered turbo onset delay. (turbo lag)
- Minimizes the need for more performance parts for non-enthusiast.
- Base for future upgrades (if they become avail.) for the enthusiast.

Cons:
- Something I forgot goes here.
- Only 07-08 supported. ( http://www.hondata.com/reflash.html )
- Something else goes here.
- Down time.
- Price. (I know but hey, we are in a bad economy.)

Other thoughts:
- Based on the K&N intake and flash alone I was seeing 23-25 mpg on 91 octane in California, and an aggressive feeling like it might take any car 30-? mph. Hondata mentions that the butt-dyno is not accurate in measuring the performance increase, and is subjective to the driver.I aggree to some extent, but there is a big difference between a new Mitsu Lancer and an Evolution X, as an example, as far as Performance goes. If my wife drives both cars no diff. If I drive the cars, only the Evo will have everyone grabbing the OS-handles, toddler too, and the difference is definitly felt across the all butt dynos. With the RDX re-flash you'll feel the accelleration slightly increase.

- The BOV (Air bypass Valve) turbo got a little louder.???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp6lDn7JQ_0

- In Kansas I noticed that Ethenol "spiked" gas really doesn't help mpg's suffered almost 4 mpg's now back to where I started. However, still seems aggressive, (than before re-flash) aswell.
- No noticable increase in exhaust sound noted, interior or exterior.
- I said it in another discussion that it will void your warranty, not recommended for the "feint-of-heart."
- I'd also recommend that you don't "soup-up" mom's car, for that fact the grandparent's car. Unless they really dig that kinda stuff.
Did you replace the crappy little BOV? Otherwise, the loud dump you are hearing is from your intake, not the reflash.

Originally Posted by bluecarbonfiber
^ correction.. they reflash for the 09s too they just dont have it updated on there site.

side thought has anyone looked into Motec piggy back or the Haltech? i know its becomming more and more used in the TSX community since hondata stopped producing the Kpro setup.. it would give the RDX an actuall tuning option for the turbo and the A/F ratio..
B.
We need to swap info on this, As I was thinking of do the Hondata in Jan '11. (Fuck the extended warranty).
Old 10-01-2010, 09:48 PM
WTF?

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Did you replace the crappy little BOV? Otherwise, the loud dump you are hearing is from your intake, not the reflash.

B.
We need to swap info on this, As I was thinking of do the Hondata in Jan '11. (Fuck the extended warranty).
as far as i know you just piggy back the sensor wires and it controls the info.. i havent done too much into it cause tuning it is out of my league but on the tsx.club.site there are people who have hooked them up to there cars as a piggy back to run turbos and havent had issues.. you probably wont get the full use for them as you would a stand alone but you would get better numbers specially if you want to run the downpipe cat delete and exhaust plus the intake.. it would also be good if you want to run a fmic.. and all the other things you could think of.. i honestly have a few other secrets pending for when we make the leap for the rdx i will try but until then my mouth is closed
Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Looks like my options are:

RREV Motosports
2700 N. Hayden Island Dr. Bldg B
Portland OR 97218 USA
503-289-4020

-or-

HorsepowerFreaks, Inc.
12905 NE Airport Way
Portland OR 97230 USA
503-256-5600

Anyone have any transactions with either?
Old 10-02-2010, 10:32 AM
WTF?

i had my reflash sent from HPfreaks they are nice and personable.. I mainly work with Brandon over there.. also was helped with david both are nice guys

you try at speed concept? its closer to you.. in aloha
Old 10-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Copy cat shinobi

[quote=Mr Marco;12389836]Did you replace the crappy little BOV? Otherwise, the loud dump you are hearing is from your intake, not the reflash.

The crappy little BOV is sufficiant, and replacing it would be asethetic for sound, It's still stock.

Ok, ABV or BOV 101: In short the BOV releaves the intake system of pressure built up by the turbo, to reduce the effects of compressor surge. When the throttle's butterfly on a Centifugal supercharged or turbo-engine closes, the high pressure air (16psi in this case) in the intake system is trapped by the throttle and is forced back into the compressor. The compressor wheel will slow down very quickly or stall with out a properly adjusted BOV.

Furthermore, Newton's 3rd law, For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
(14psi -->16psi)

Compressor blowing 16psi hit with a 16psi blowback will stall the compresser and won't even make it back to the intake. That sound is the ABV (BOV) as an increase in pressure will yeilds a higher pressure dump, or louder sound, 3rd law again.

The average age I see, is the 30-50 year old (w/family) owning a RDX. They find warranties are peace-of-mind, and will want to know if it voids the coverage. My family is cool with it, some families that are not mechanically inclined may not be cool with it.

There are a lot of people on this site that are interested in mild performance and they visit for the sole reason of testing the water. I'd like give those people a chance simply because that warranty thing is important to them.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Looks like my options are:

RREV Motosports
2700 N. Hayden Island Dr. Bldg B
Portland OR 97218 USA
503-289-4020

-or-

HorsepowerFreaks, Inc.
12905 NE Airport Way
Portland OR 97230 USA
503-256-5600

Anyone have any transactions with either?

I bought a lot of items online from HPF good people
Old 10-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Suzuka Master

[quote=Kaze66218;12390426]

The crappy little BOV is sufficiant, and replacing it would be asethetic for sound, It's still stock.

Ok, ABV or BOV 101: In short the BOV releaves the intake system of pressure built up by the turbo, to reduce the effects of compressor surge. When the throttle's butterfly on a Centifugal supercharged or turbo-engine closes, the high pressure air (16psi in this case) in the intake system is trapped by the throttle and is forced back into the compressor. The compressor wheel will slow down very quickly or stall with out a properly adjusted BOV.

Furthermore, Newton's 3rd law, For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
(14psi -->16psi)

Compressor blowing 16psi hit with a 16psi blowback will stall the compresser and won't even make it back to the intake. That sound is the ABV (BOV) as an increase in pressure will yeilds a higher pressure dump, or louder sound, 3rd law again.

The average age I see, is the 30-50 year old (w/family) owning a RDX. They find warranties are peace-of-mind, and will want to know if it voids the coverage. My family is cool with it, some families that are not mechanically inclined may not be cool with it.

There are a lot of people on this site that are interested in mild performance and they visit for the sole reason of testing the water. I'd like give those people a chance simply because that warranty thing is important to them.
You have compiled a very good explanation of throttle release action on the RDX turbo. However, you misunderstood my post. The loud “Pbsssss” you are hearing is from the intake you have installed on your car, not the extra 2lbs of boost that you claim.

It is difficult to see from this pic that "737Jock" took, but this outlet line runs down to your air intake, and even after a couple feet and an "S", you will hear it in the new INTAKE, no matter what the psi.

Quick Reply: Hondata RDX Reflash - End User Reports!!!