Hondata RDX Reflash - End User Reports!!!

Old 11-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hondata RDX Reflash - End User Reports!!!

Since I just got my RDX ECU reflashed and expect a lot more owners to follow soon I think it is a good time to start a thread on end user experience.

Well the whole process took less than 4 hours for me since the authorized Hondata dealer that I went to is less than an hour away from Hondata. I was pleased on how easy the process was and the results were just as advertised.

The gain in low end torque is definitely noticable. I feel the torque kicking in sooner and more "punchy" . The car feels "lighter" in most situations. It also seems to have more air/power flow during turbo boost - I hear a more air-sucking sound from the engine. And LESS TURBO LAG!!!!! On the freeway the gain is there during passing but not as exciting as the low end gain.

Again the above was the experience I had - no dyno test was done to show the gain but I feel the results are consistent with Hondata claims. Feel free to ask me questions and I will do my test to answer your questions with my limited car knowledge.

Last but not least, thanks to Hondata for a job well done on the RDX ECU reflash.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Please also let us know if you notice a difference in fuel economy. I expect that it won't be much different either way, except for the fact that you may be more inclined to push it harder than before since you it is that much more fun with the power gains.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 AM
Missin my TSX =(

so sweet man, im so jealous, i need to find the time to not have the car for 3 days and the money, im saving it for that exhaust first =)

so my question is, did that "authorized dealer" charge you anything extra? like a service fee? or was it straight up $595? thanks chinh
Old 11-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sasair
Please also let us know if you notice a difference in fuel economy. I expect that it won't be much different either way, except for the fact that you may be more inclined to push it harder than before since you it is that much more fun with the power gains.

I definitely will let everyone know if fuel economy gets better. Even if it stays the same it is a plus since more power is produced. The sound from the engine makes me think it burns differently: less restrictive and "cleaner". I have to control my gas pedal first.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chyllintsx
so sweet man, im so jealous, i need to find the time to not have the car for 3 days and the money, im saving it for that exhaust first =)

so my question is, did that "authorized dealer" charge you anything extra? like a service fee? or was it straight up $595? thanks chinh
The authorized dealer did not charge me anything extra. Just $595. His work is nothing: just remove the ECU (a few-minute job), drive to Hondata, drive back, put the ECU back in.

Let me know how the exhaust sounds. I will only put in a performance exhaust if the sound is not loud and not annoying - is there such a thing?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did it take 4 hours for them to do the reflash?

I was thining of stopping by a local Hondata dealer, but I figured it would take an hour or so.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cwepruk
Did it take 4 hours for them to do the reflash?

I was thining of stopping by a local Hondata dealer, but I figured it would take an hour or so.
The dealer only removes and puts back the ECU, 20 minutes total top.
Hondata dealers do not have the machine to program the ECU.
The dealer has to take ECU to Hondata for programming (3 hours for driving and programming for my dealer since he is close to Hondata).

I think 10 minutes to remove ECU, 40 minutes to drive to Hondata, 1 hour wait/programming ECU, 60 minutes drive back with traffic, 5 minutes to put back ECU.
The wait time at Hondata can be long since they do reflash for other Honda models, too.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Pro

I thought all dealers had the ability to perform the reflash themselves.

If I give it to my dealer to ship it off to Hondata, sounds kinda like a waste of a middle man.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:02 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wouldnt a computer dongle and internet sale work awesome for things like this?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Pro

Since i can't find an edit button, I also emailed my local shop and they said they could do the reflash right there.

Guess I was wrong:

You will need to remove the ECU and send it to Hondata through a dealer . Unlike reflashes for other Honda models you will not need to send the key and immobilizer; just the ECU. Fill out this form and contact a Hondata dealer. Hondata does not sell direct. All ECUs must be sent to Hondata for reprogramming. No Hondata dealer has the equipment to reprogram this ECU.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

If I give it to my dealer to ship it off to Hondata, sounds kinda like a waste of a middle man.
Yes, in this simple upgrade case, it is a waste of money on the middle man. The dealers make easy money. Their work is simply remove ECU, drive/mail the ECU, put back ECU; or just mail the ECU if end user gives them the ECU.

This does not make sense for us end users for this particular upgrade, but they have to standardize the service policy across the board for all services. It helps if there is a problem with the upgrade.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Does the car accelerate a lot smoother now?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Does the car accelerate a lot smoother now?
Yes, overall acceleration is smoother. Especially when the car is already moving transition into turbo boost is very smooth - feel like driving a non-turbo V6.

From standing still position if I punch it I still feel the big turbo "kick" but less jerky and lag is still there but less.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by chinhman
The authorized dealer did not charge me anything extra. Just $595. His work is nothing: just remove the ECU (a few-minute job), drive to Hondata, drive back, put the ECU back in.

Let me know how the exhaust sounds. I will only put in a performance exhaust if the sound is not loud and not annoying - is there such a thing?

nice, thanks

and yessir there is such exhaust... the one he is making is aimed to sound like a g35... quiet when idle and light purr when gassing... theres a sound clip on the thread for the exhaust he made for a TL
Old 11-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Missin my TSX =(

werd and waste of alot of time man, its not necessary to bring it somewhere, leave it there and hitch a ride home... and vise versa for a pick up...
Old 11-27-2007, 10:48 AM
big shot.

anymore updates....from re-reading the original post, doesnt seem like you are overly pumped about the gains....or are you? haha are there really noticeable differences, are are they things that you slightly notice? Its nice to see the Hondata stats & graphs, but how does the car feel OVERALL compared to stock? worth the 600?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts
There is a lot of psychology in the way Honda tune their high performance engines. The S2000 for example is initially tuned to have a smooth torque curve. Then the VTEC point is raised to create a lag and a small surge when the highcam is engaged. The result is that the car feels faster - you feel the surge, but in fact the car is slower.

The RDX torque curve is reasonably smooth both before and after the reflash. Some people may not notice much difference. Some people may.

Bottom line here is that most butt dynos are way of the mark. You need to measure the differences on the dyno before and after. That or put it up against another, stock RDX.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:23 AM
Instructor

I had my TSX reflashed...my favorite mod for sure.

Hondata, any 0-60 times for a reflashed RDX? I recall a video of 2 TSXs on your website, one stock, one reflashed and it clearly showed the reflashed TSX beating out the stock one. Any plans to do a demo with the RDX?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sasair

More good news to share. The gas mileage seemed to get a bit better on freeway driving, stayed about the same for city driving - probably because I abuse the power more.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MMike1981
anymore updates....from re-reading the original post, doesnt seem like you are overly pumped about the gains....or are you? haha are there really noticeable differences, are are they things that you slightly notice? Its nice to see the Hondata stats & graphs, but how does the car feel OVERALL compared to stock? worth the 600?

Definitely worth more than $600 and it is faster than it was before the mod. I take this mod over intake+exhaust mod since I like to maintain the quite sound. Also it is easier and less expensive to undo if needed.
And yes I am enjoying the car a lot more. I feel like living the Mercedes commercial in which the guy makes multiple trips to the grocery store to buy one item at a time (one trip for salt, one trip for pepper,...).
Old 11-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe, you can, if you don't mind, demo (a quick test drive down the street) a test drive, if you're in california - Like a personal test drive.

It was only a thought...but a cool one.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:10 PM
big shot.

Definitely worth more than $600 and it is faster than it was before the mod. I take this mod over intake+exhaust mod since I like to maintain the quite sound. Also it is easier and less expensive to undo if needed.
And yes I am enjoying the car a lot more. I feel like living the Mercedes commercial in which the guy makes multiple trips to the grocery store to buy one item at a time (one trip for salt, one trip for pepper,...).
awesome....sounds good to me then, a response i was hoping for.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

Since I just got my RDX ECU reflashed and expect a lot more owners to follow soon I think it is a good time to start a thread on end user experience.

Well the whole process took less than 4 hours for me since the authorized Hondata dealer that I went to is less than an hour away from Hondata. I was pleased on how easy the process was and the results were just as advertised.

The gain in low end torque is definitely noticable. I feel the torque kicking in sooner and more "punchy" . The car feels "lighter" in most situations. It also seems to have more air/power flow during turbo boost - I hear a more air-sucking sound from the engine. And LESS TURBO LAG!!!!! On the freeway the gain is there during passing but not as exciting as the low end gain.

Again the above was the experience I had - no dyno test was done to show the gain but I feel the results are consistent with Hondata claims. Feel free to ask me questions and I will do my test to answer your questions with my limited car knowledge.

Last but not least, thanks to Hondata for a job well done on the RDX ECU reflash.
Is there any noticable increase in NVH (noise, vibrations, harshness)? It would be nice to see the power increase without adding vibrations or noises! Thanks!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sfrederiksen
Is there any noticable increase in NVH (noise, vibrations, harshness)? It would be nice to see the power increase without adding vibrations or noises! Thanks!
The car stays the same as stock soundwise, no extra vibration or harshness. That's how I like it, too. At low speed when you floor the gas pedal you hear a little "baby" roar and that's about it.

There is somewhat of a drawback to the quiet sound with this speedy suv. During passing, there is more chance for the cars ahead changing lane right into you because other drivers don't hear the RDX coming and don't expect the "suv" to pass them so quickly. For this reason I use full headlights more often after the mod.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:43 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by hondata
There is a lot of psychology in the way Honda tune their high performance engines. The S2000 for example is initially tuned to have a smooth torque curve. Then the VTEC point is raised to create a lag and a small surge when the highcam is engaged. The result is that the car feels faster - you feel the surge, but in fact the car is slower.

The RDX torque curve is reasonably smooth both before and after the reflash. Some people may not notice much difference. Some people may.

Bottom line here is that most butt dynos are way of the mark. You need to measure the differences on the dyno before and after. That or put it up against another, stock RDX.
Are there any dealers over here near Houston? I'd get this first, above the exhaust, according to the feedback here.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:06 AM
Intermediate

Not sure if we can post links. Visit hondata's website and go to dealers..there's plenty in houston (google it)
Old 12-14-2007, 06:07 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrederiksen
Not sure if we can post links. Visit hondata's website and go to dealers..there's plenty in houston (google it)
Thanks. I found one in Houston. I'll call next week.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:14 PM
10th Gear

Any more user reviews or feedback?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Intermediate

Yes I'm interested in additional feedback as well. Anyone?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Pro

Bump. I'm thinking of doing this as well, though it's a pain to do.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah...this is a real PITA since you had to take/send ECU to dealer and then they ship out. Would be feasible if you can send your ECU directly to Hondata. The VW way us much simpler: go to a local dealer (APR/Unitrin/GIAC/Neuspeed) and flash via OBDII port using a PC.

What is the official HP/TQ rating of our trans?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:27 PM
User-approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SinCity
Yeah...this is a real PITA since you had to take/send ECU to dealer and then they ship out. Would be feasible if you can send your ECU directly to Hondata.

It's my understanding that you contact an authorized dealer, make the deal, they can provide you with a Purchase Order so can can ship it and your ECU to Hondata and they will return it to you.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

SinCity: You can do that with K-Pro, but it hasn't been released for any Drive By Wire K-Series motors.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Advanced

so this is just a base reflash? can they reflash based on your mods too? i.e. if you had a intake and full turboback exhaust? does anyone know if it raises boost too?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Intermediate

Dat: Go to hondata.com and check out their descriptions and dyno plot. They have two different reflashes.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Instructor

ok, so those of us who don't have a Hondata shop anywhere nearby, do we have any options? I'd love to do this but there are no shops in new england from what I can tell.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can mail it to the dealer.

You can mail it to the Hondata dealer, and he then will mail it to Hondata. You don't have to go in. Just fill out the form and contact your closest one. Which, in your case is probably in New York, and there are 4 dealers there to choose from. The Hondata site shows you where your ECU is so you can pull it out.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Instructor

ah ok, good to know. How quick is turnaround on these? I want to do this, but if it'll take more than 3-4 days, I don't think I could.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Advanced

from the website looks like 3-4 or even less.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Instructor

JMJ3rd,

Earlier in this string, you said you found some/a Hondata dealer in Houston. Did you go through with this. The only Houston dealer I found looked rather inexperienced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hondata RDX Reflash - End User Reports!!!