Rear evaporator leaking, how to remove center console?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:58 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear evaporator leaking, how to remove center console?

Hi all! First time post here. Does anyone have a diagram showing how to remove the rear center console and rear evaporator? I have an AC leak from the rear evaporator area. You can actually hear the R134a leaking when charged. Once I can expose the rear evaporator, I'll be able to see the leak as I used a UV dye during the last fill. All I know so far is that the rear control panel pulls off as its held in with clips. After that, I don't have any info. I didn't want to tear into it before seeing what is involved from start to finish. Also, anyone has experience changing this out?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:03 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did it! Removed the rear HVAC unit (blower, heater core and evaporator core). What a pain. Took about 2 hours. There was a leak in the actual evaporator core. I was hoping it was just an o-ring but when I UV tested the system, no leaks at any visible spot. Since I could hear and smell the leak from the rear vents, I knew the only thing left was the rear evaporator core and sure enough, UV dye coming from the bottom corner. Bad news is I had to put the car back together so my wife could use the car, less the rear HVAC unit. When the new part comes in, I get to do it all over again. 😥