Immobilizer Issue After Attempted Car Theft- Please Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:01 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Immobilizer Issue After Attempted Car Theft- Please Help?!

Hello all,

Having really baffling issues with my MDX after someone tried to steal it recently, & I'm hoping you can help. I did already search & read related threads , but couldn't find something close enough, so any insight would be just appreciated beyond compare.!!!

1. Someone broke into/tried to steal my '04 Acura MDX. Only visible internal damage was that they'd "cracked off" the plastic ring around the ignition/area where you insert the key.
  2. When I tried to start it, my keys no longer fit correctly & the car wouldn't start. Figured it was the immobilizer & called acura dealership; they said it's not the immobilizer since the steering wheel can move & it had to be the ignition cylinder, which I would have to have replaced with a new one by them. (Involves towing my car an hour+) Dealer started doing cost rundown, & when he reached almost $600, I decided to call a locksmith to see if he could do it instead.
  3. Locksmith verbally confirmed he could do it, picked up the necessary part in a scrapyard from a Honda Accord which should be compatible & cheaper, & successfully swapped out the part & made a new test key (without chip yet.) Now the key fits, turns & the car makes noise like it's about to start, but won't. AND it was flashing green key immobilizer light indicating it doesn't recognize key. It did this for the New Test Key (with my original keys right next to it) AND for all 6 of my original keys. -- But Then-- , it stopped flashing that key light when keys were inserted. Locksmith says not sure what made it start "recognizing" the keys, but that issue seems to have resolved itself. -- BUT-- car still won't start.
  4. Locksmith concluded I surely just need a new immobilizer piece. He called acura dealership to ask for part#, dealership gave him a price but said they are the ONLY ones who can install & pair the new immobilizer.
  5. Where I'm at NOW : #1.) I'm not convinced that the immobilizer needing to be replaced is the real problem because A.) locksmith was baffled for quite a while (still is?) B.) dealership was already wrong w/ initial diagnosis & C.) the green key light indicating an issue with immobilizer is No Longer even flashing ....And then #2.) IF that IS really the issue, I really want to find a way to get around towing it all the way to the dealer (an hour+), paying his rates for service, & most of all waiting the WEEK he says it will take him to get around to it.

Any Ideas?!! Anyone have similar experience? ANYTHING in the way of ideas/insight is TREMENDIOUSLY Appreciated!! THANK YOU in advance!!
Old 08-04-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
instead of throwing parts at it; i would def. hook up a Honda Diagnostic System tester, or HDS.
it'll tell you if its the immobilizer or not, that way, you're not constantly throwing parts at it not knowing whats wrong with it.

cuz that's what the locksmith did. "hey, we'll replace this piece"
ERROR!
"oops, i guess its not that...and I am baffled"
The following users liked this post:
jigglethehandle (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 02:45 PM
3rd Gear

Lol. Yes... that is a very solid point- although I wasn't aware of this HDS. Thank you for the response.

...The only thing about that is it seems like there's really no reason for anything aside from something right in that main ignition area in the car to be a problem. There was nothing wrong with the car before the attempted theft, & I don't see why anyone would have messed w/ the engine etc.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:46 PM
3rd Gear

As an update- I spoke with the locksmith, & he thinks he might be able to fix the issue (IF it is indeed the immobilizer) by swapping it with another one & soldering in the chip from mine. Idk if that would actually work or not, but it seems logical...