New ZDX Tech

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New ZDX Tech

When I shopped the new Acura's I was up in the air over a MDX or the ZDX. I was set on the MDX with the option of the ZDX if it was something that I liked after seeing and driving it. I am a tad gun shy as I bought a 2001 MDX looong ago and unfortunatly it turned out to be a lemon and after contacting the CEO of American Honda Corp I was called by his secretary the following week to tell me that they were making me a NEW 2002 to replace it. So my gunshy part is buying a NEW year model.

I dont really tag the ZDX as a NEW year model because most of it is the MDX platform. The only difference being the cabin and the 6 Speed Trannie of course.. well until I drove it.

TEST DRIVES:

ZDX -

I had to adjust the seats and wheel before I got in because my sales guy was like 4-8. Right off the bat I was glad to see Acura changed the wheel adjustment to a motorized joystick design as I hated that about my 2001/2 MDX.. that flop down stick under the wheel was annoying.

I got in and settled .. adjusted the mirrors and seats .. again my 4ft 8 in sales guy had the seat all the way up and my head was sticking out of the sunroof at first. I was pleased at the comfort of the seats as im a tad leary of seats that are TOO soft as they go through a break in period and will get a tad mushier as they settle. I turned the AC down to cool it off as it was 85 and in the sun and then I checked out the stereo ( More on that later as this is kinda a long post ) [IMG]/forums/images/smilies/wtf.gif[/IMG]

Reminder that I drove in my Lexus GS350: I was amazed at how quiet the cabin was in the ZDX right off the bat. I thought the lexus was quiet but hands down Acura scored big on this. My dealers "Test route" started with a 4/5 mile main straight stretch of stop and go traffic and gave me the chance to check acceleration and braking and a teaser of the steering as I could tell even then would be interesting. I was expecting a SUV feel .. like a car but knowing you were higher so it may have felt like it was top heavy more than a sedan. Not at all... it was again impressive compared to even the GS.

FINALLY off the stretch I turned to the next road that was full of turns and some small hills. It felt like I was in a sports sedan .. the power .. the tight steering .. the road grip was all amazing and as I looked over at my short little pretend friend sitting beside me .. he had a look of amazement himself as I hit speeds of 75 + in an area that may have been 35 at that.

I like to do detours when test driving and then act dumb when the sales guy says .. No no.. not this way. So I pulled into a parking lot ( of course he said that ) and I said oh man.. im sorry I thought this was a street. I did this as I wanted to do some parking lot wedge jumping. I pulled up to the first spot in the middle of the empty lot and told him I wanted to check the clearence so i started slowly driving over the concrete blocks that one would pull up to and stop and park at. The suspension was awesome .. little bounce and solid as a rock. My last one was only the right 2 wheels and was faster than the others.. still it preformed like a champ.

Back to the route so my little "buddy" would feel better that I was not going to destroy the car any more. Plus I knew that I wanted a white one and this one I drove was gray. I turned off the traction control and nailed it coming out of the parking lot back on the main street. I only heard a couple of chirps and then it hooked up to the dry pavement again as I stayed into the pedal up to 90. ( it was a main street 50mph limit ) Acceleration was impressive too as the higher I crancked the RPM's the meaner it sounded. V-tec Roar.

We got back to the dealership and drove a couple circles in the big part of the lot .. well untill my friend turned green at least.. 6 or 8 or so times around. [IMG]/forums/images.old/smilies/cry.gif[/IMG]

I asked the guy to get the DVD-A demo disc as I wanted to check out the 5.1 surround and let me tell you.. I have a bose system at home and this one SMOKES it. By far the BEST car stereo system made today.

We traded 2 Lexus for 2 Acura's and are loving life in the new toys.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Some pics

http://images2b.photo.walgreens.com/...3E%3B87%3E238%
Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Eh .. ok so Ill post pics in 15 days. Probation.. go figure.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Congrats!! and welcome to Acurazine.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Congrats & Welcome !!!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 PM
should i spend more in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats! which dealer did you visit?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Thanks.. i went to Fountain. See if this will work now with pics...

Old 04-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Your car is beautiful! The ZDX looks amazing in white with the contrast from the glass roof. Congrats and welcome!

How does the ZDX compare overall to the GS350 it replaced?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Safety Car

WOW!! that is gorgeous.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
WOW that looks amazing...
Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Welcome and congrats.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:54 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
congrats
Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I saw your car at Fountain a couple weeks ago. It was on display out front. Had no side sills on it at that time. That was the first one I saw in white and agree it looked best against the contrasting glass up top. Enjoy it and welcome to AZ
Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Thanks all.. and the one you saw at Fountain was their full blown demo that they cant sell. I just wanted the tech package only, save the 6 or 7K they want for the fluff n stuff you get for 56K.

They actually got mine from Courtasy with a swap im sure. Luckily the one they got had a couple extras on it that I didnt pay for. Always a nice find !!

Im partial to white cars.. especially in Florida. I'll get a night shot of the running boards all lit up and post it soon.. maybe over the weekend or if I ever get out of it. I stil cant get over the stereo in it.. its amazing.

Jay
Old 05-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Hi Jay and Welcome ! It does look nice in white and I normally am not a huge fan of that color. Please do post some more pics, I would love to see it when it is lit up.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Instructor

OK .. time to try some more pics.. sorry I had to move over the weekend and have been very busy.

Its hard to get a true shot of the lit running boards with a camera .. you have to be inside really and have a contrast of light that wont blur them. These were shot in the garage.

The last shot is when its totally dark.. just the boards and a glimpse of the steering wheel inside thru the tinted windows.

If you use the remote and hit unlock.. the boards and interior lights come on and then 5 secs later the headlights will come on for about 25 secs .. then the headlights go out and its just the boards and inside lights again. Its pretty theatrical at night when its really dark.

Again sorry for the pics, its tuff getting a good night shot of these.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Received 385 Likes on 234 Posts
hi Jay welcome to Azine and congrats on your new ride i love the lights on the running board thats hot
Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Instructor

VTEC racer asked me the difference between the ZDX and my GS350 I traded in:

Wow .. where to start ...

By far Acura/Honda's technology is so far ahead of Lexus/Toyota's its not even funny.

The Acura Stereo hands down beats the lexus .. even their mark levinson system.

Lexus barely has voice commands that work .. Acura has fine tuned this one and I have used just about as many as you can imagine.. especially the Nav / Stereo / AC / Time / and my favorite when I have a passenger .. 1st you tell it to lower the temp and it does it.. then say " Eject passenger " then you kinda look over at them as they grab the door handle.

The ZDX has a better ride, more solid, has much better feel for the road, is a lot more quiet. I have not yet drove in the rain but look forward to it. We get pretty nasty downpours in Florida so that will be a good test for it.

To me the car is so much more practical than the GS and it gets many more looks than the GS. I have yet to see another one on the road in Orlando but look forward to giving the nod to the other pilot in the cockpit.

I know it sounds silly to say that but the ZDX is so attuned to the driver and just strokes every part of how a car should make the driver feel .. the control and how easy it is to drive is amazing, once you get used to the dash it flows so easy and its set up just awesome. Good lord I look forward to goin to work again just because I know I get to drive it.

There is 1 item that I am going back to the dealer on Thursday to get adjusted, and that's the fuel door. At 70mph I can hear it rattle a little. Of course the Stereo fixes this but I want to get it taken care of early. Im sure its super ez to do and hopefully I wont have to leave it overnight.

More to come .. stay tuned !!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Here is a pic of the ( at this time brand new ) 08 GS350 I traded for the ZDX. It was a nice car but there are more reasons I bounced the equity to something else. ( see the 07 RX350 in the back .. my wifes that was traded for her RDX )

1st - Lexus of Orlando service department SUCKS. My last 4 oil changes I had to go back 3 times because of mistakes and damage. My last visit they took a chunk out of my leather gear shifter and left oil and grease all over the front leather seats and door.

2nd - Toyota and now Lexus are getting hammered with bad press over all the recalls etc. Its starting to affect the values of the cars long term. So I got out while the gettin was good.

3rd - The GS had some problems including a ratttle in the dash that drove me crazy, the inside leather was showing wear after the 1st 6 months I had it ( had it over 2 years - 27K ) and it was loud on the highway .. makes the ZDX feel like im in a library comapred to it.

I was averaging around 24/25 mpg in the lexus highway so the difference tot he zdx is not much and again the radio in the ZDX is 1000000000000 X better. Its amazing !!!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
Thanks for the write-up and the pix. That's a beautiful vehicle, especially your color combo.

It's going to be a tough fight to resist one of these when my wife's car needs replacing in a few years.

(Now only if it were offered in 6MT . . . )
Old 05-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Thanks JM.. im really happy with the color combo and overall the car is amazing. 700 miles on it now

What part of the Lou are you from?

Jay
Old 05-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JZDX

This is beautiful.

Acura has fine tuned this one and I have used just about as many as you can imagine.. especially the Nav / Stereo / AC / Time / and my favorite when I have a passenger .. 1st you tell it to lower the temp and it does it.. then say " Eject passenger " then you kinda look over at them as they grab the door handle.
Amazing.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Beautiful rides. Welcome aboard
Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Thanks JM.. im really happy with the color combo and overall the car is amazing. 700 miles on it now

What part of the Lou are you from?

Jay
Jay,

I'm in the western 'burbs. The day we picked up my TL there was a sweet ZDX parked in the showroom right in front of the customer lounge (strategically placed). I thought my wife was going to demand that it be part of the deal right there.

Enjoy it - I'll bet you're getting lots of people complimenting the ZDX and asking about it.

John
Old 05-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Thanks John....I grew up in South County.

My biggest problem right now with the ZDX is each time I park it somewhere .. there are finger and hand prints on the windows from people checking it out.

It is funny to be at a light then do a quick 360 view and see people checking it out .. some are smiling and pointing .. then others are taking it all in .. looking like they are deciding if they like it or not. Then you see the light bulb come on over thier head and all the sudden they like it.

I think I fianlly got the optimal settings for my seats and wheel and mirrors now after many attempts at perfect comfort.

Todays update = 1st coat of Rain X. Gbye wipers
Old 05-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Drifting

That's funny you mention the hand-prints etc. on your car. I've noticed the same thing with my TL. I've never experienced that with a new car before. (And I bought my Legend Coupe new - a car I still believe is one of Acura's best styling exercises).
Old 05-07-2010, 10:33 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks.. i went to Fountain. See if this will work now with pics...

god if there was ever an acura dealership that i despised its fountain acura...

and this is a guy thats got experience with ferman in tampa, courtesy in orlando, and several dealers down here in south florida.

biggest bunch of pompus pricks I've ever had the displeasure of working with... from the body shop to the parts counter to the sales reps.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Backs the Pack

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Beautiful car and color combination! Saw my first ZDX on the road yesterday on the highway during a 120 mile trip.

Actually saw a ZDX in the morning and then again in the afternoon going the opposite way both times. I figure it was the same car as both were metallic silver. What are the chances of that.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
god if there was ever an acura dealership that i despised its fountain acura...

and this is a guy thats got experience with ferman in tampa, courtesy in orlando, and several dealers down here in south florida.

biggest bunch of pompus pricks I've ever had the displeasure of working with... from the body shop to the parts counter to the sales reps.

Couldnt be any worse than the WORST Acura dealership in the US -

Esserman Acura in Miami. Complete and utter FAILS!!!

Ive got no problem pointing out bad dealers and good ones.. Rick Case Acura is a good one.. they helped me out after Esserman TRASHED my MDX. BIGTIME!!
Old 05-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hodog16
Beautiful car and color combination! Saw my first ZDX on the road yesterday on the highway during a 120 mile trip.

Actually saw a ZDX in the morning and then again in the afternoon going the opposite way both times. I figure it was the same car as both were metallic silver. What are the chances of that.
Funny.. I own one and still havent seen another on the road yet. heck I dont even see that many RDX's on the road.. I have seen a couple of them though.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Instructor

ZDX 1st coat of Meguiars new car Glaze. Nice N Shiny.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
wow. thought i hated the design... but looks really good. Congrats
Old 05-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
ZDX looks sick!!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Unfortunatly Pics dont do the ZDX the amount of Justice its due.. if you have not seen one up close.. stop by an Acura dealership and take a good look. Its really an amazing vehicle.

The best parts are #1 Driving it #2 The Stereo #3 Everything else.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Instructor

This is the closest I can get to explaining the feeling of driving the ZDX ....

Sit back into the captains chair and get out on the highway .. you know the feeling ... hit the talk button and say “USB Random” and then “Temperature 74”, throw your arm over the wheel as you sit back with a slight lean into the center armrest .. cruise set at 75. the music starts and you think WOW what a awesome system as you feel the deep bass and clear mid and highs!!!

Suddenly the sunroof covers slide open and sunlight comes in as you slip your shades on ... the smell of leather gets stronger as the cool fresh air from the vents blows by. You look around at other drivers checking out your ride and when you see another ZDX on the road its like your family and give an automatic wave or a thumbs up.

Suddenly the traffic starts to thicken up so you take her off auto pilot and sit up in the chair .. you take control of the helm and start moving through the crowd like you are plowing your way through snow. you finally get to your destination and think .. damn ... that’s a hell of a car !

This special updated ZDX moment brought to you by JZDX.
We recommend you have one daily.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Man, you are really in love aren't you, lol?!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Man, you are really in love aren't you, lol?!
Heh ... go drive one and see what you think.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Instructor

I find it interesting how many people talk trash about the ZDX .. is it dislike for it or is it jealous or what?

Im sure 98% of them have not even seen one up close much less test drove one.

It seems most are a bunch of people who just like to Bit$& and moan.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:33 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the closest I can get to explaining the feeling of driving the ZDX ....

Sit back into the captains chair and get out on the highway .. you know the feeling ... hit the talk button and say “USB Random” and then “Temperature 74”, throw your arm over the wheel as you sit back with a slight lean into the center armrest .. cruise set at 75. the music starts and you think WOW what a awesome system as you feel the deep bass and clear mid and highs!!!

Suddenly the sunroof covers slide open and sunlight comes in as you slip your shades on ... the smell of leather gets stronger as the cool fresh air from the vents blows by. You look around at other drivers checking out your ride and when you see another ZDX on the road its like your family and give an automatic wave or a thumbs up.

Suddenly the traffic starts to thicken up so you take her off auto pilot and sit up in the chair .. you take control of the helm and start moving through the crowd like you are plowing your way through snow. you finally get to your destination and think .. damn ... that’s a hell of a car !

This special updated ZDX moment brought to you by JZDX.
We recommend you have one daily.

And as you reach your destination... jump out and walk away from the car... You give it that obligatory look back just to see the beauty of your favorite new possession... and you seee....

lol j/k I want to love this thing so bad... test drove it... stared at it in the show room a bit... and i love the profile, the rear end the interior the power the features... but god i can't get over that front end... did the same thing with the TL...

I wonder if acura is planning an MMC for the ZDX since its 'limited production'
Old 05-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Instructor

I guess that would have been funny if the picture you posted actually worked. I cant see it so

Every acura has had the " corporate " grill / Bottle cap opener grill for years now.. and they are not THAT bad.

I can understand someone not liking a design or preferring another .. but to trash it because if it? Then again.. opinions are like a-holes.. everyones got one right?

Quick Reply: New ZDX Tech