750 miles in

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
750 miles in

I really bought this car to have the best combination of safety and fun.

And it delivers on both counts.

A couple of surprises:

The brakes on this car are fantastic. I have light weight sports cars so you have to change braking style with the weight of this car but they feel great.

The engine sounds great- and maybe that is the biggest surprise. I have now and have had several sports cars and engine sound has always been a big part of the driving experience for me. In addition to my fun cars my daily manufacturer for the last 7 years has been Infinity (2 Gs and two fx45s). One of the reasons I left Infin was their 6 cylinder cars just sound horrible at high rpms- really dissapointing. I test drove a new fx50s and the 8 even sounds like crap.

I really like the sound of this honda vtec. I have not pushed above 5 grand yet but it has to even sound better as you go higher.

In terms of handling it feels alot lighter on its feet then its weight would suggest.

In terms of feedback - well Acura and feedback usually don't go together but I am impressed with what there is. Not BMW but for me good enough. I have two of the best feedback cars in the world (Cayman and RX-8) and I got to tell you that getting back in the ZDX for daily driving is no let down.

The tranny so far is flawless. Again I am surprised at the quick downshifts with the paddles.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Nice review!
How heavy is the ZDX?

did you name all your fun cars?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Good,bad,ugly
I really bought this car to have the best combination of safety and fun.

And it delivers on both counts.

A couple of surprises:

The brakes on this car are fantastic. I have light weight sports cars so you have to change braking style with the weight of this car but they feel great.

The engine sounds great- and maybe that is the biggest surprise. I have now and have had several sports cars and engine sound has always been a big part of the driving experience for me. In addition to my fun cars my daily manufacturer for the last 7 years has been Infinity (2 Gs and two fx45s). One of the reasons I left Infin was their 6 cylinder cars just sound horrible at high rpms- really dissapointing. I test drove a new fx50s and the 8 even sounds like crap.

I really like the sound of this honda vtec. I have not pushed above 5 grand yet but it has to even sound better as you go higher.

In terms of handling it feels alot lighter on its feet then its weight would suggest.

In terms of feedback - well Acura and feedback usually don't go together but I am impressed with what there is. Not BMW but for me good enough. I have two of the best feedback cars in the world (Cayman and RX-8) and I got to tell you that getting back in the ZDX for daily driving is no let down.

The tranny so far is flawless. Again I am surprised at the quick downshifts with the paddles.
When I drove this car for the first time I thought it felt like a car and thats was a good thing. You would never expect a car this size to handle as good as it does. I love the IDS system and can say it is a big difference between Comfort and Sport mode. You really feel it in the steering and handling. My previous sports cars/cars were a NSX, E46 M3, 2 S2000's, and Audi TT. To me the ZDX feels like all those cars into one minus the power. If there was anything I would change about the ZDX it would be the low end power. When I get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic I seem to notice it the most. I have been driving in Sport mode that last couple weeks and really enjoy shifting myself, kind of reminds me of the SMG tranny in my old M3.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Nice review!
How heavy is the ZDX?

The ZDX is around 4400 pounds
Old 07-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
Nice review!
How heavy is the ZDX?

It is around 4500 lbs but Acura has managed to hide it with the sh-awd and with the advance package. The x6 5.0 is much heavier and feels it. The fx35 is about 150-200 lbs lighter. The fx50 a tad heavier. Let me be clear- it is heavy and feels meaty but it's athleticism is remarkable for its size.

My other cars are base Cayman, RX-8 R3 ( track edition Mazda),s2000
Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mugen_kid
When I drove this car for the first time I thought it felt like a car and thats was a good thing. You would never expect a car this size to handle as good as it does. I love the IDS system and can say it is a big difference between Comfort and Sport mode. You really feel it in the steering and handling. My previous sports cars/cars were a NSX, E46 M3, 2 S2000's, and Audi TT. To me the ZDX feels like all those cars into one minus the power. If there was anything I would change about the ZDX it would be the low end power. When I get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic I seem to notice it the most. I have been driving in Sport mode that last couple weeks and really enjoy shifting myself, kind of reminds me of the SMG tranny in my old M3.
Wow-what a collection of cars! Couldn't agree with you more! The difference with comfort and sport is profound.