2013 ZDX to Get a Mid-cycle Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 ZDX to Get a Mid-cycle Refresh

Acura today released some notes on the 2013 model lineup, most of it was stuff we already knew except for the news on a 2013 ZDX Mid-cycle Refresh.

- The Acura ZDX receives a mid-cycle refresh for the 2013 model year including exterior styling changes, new technology and will be sold in a single, valued-added package offering clients greater value on a luxury scale.

- Although the ZDX remains a niche vehicle for the Acura brand, it continues to garner attention for its unique styling while transcending the traditional distinctions between coupe, sedan and sport utility vehicle.

-The 2013 ZDX will go on sale in October 2012.

Good to know they're still putting some work into the ZDX. No details on what tech they are referring to, but it will probably get the RDX style grille. Can't wait to see the refresh.

full release: http://acuraconnected.com/2012/07/02...hange-summary/
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Well thats surprising news!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
cheers))
can't wait to see pics
Old 07-03-2012, 04:21 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by ZhenyaF
Well thats surprising news!
They have to do something, the car hardly sells and doesn't hold its value. I read this to mean they are changing the content to reduce the price. Maybe then they can sell more than 100 a month.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
whats the point of spending money on R&D if the costs associated with the changes / R&D won't be offset by the sales. Given that logic, I assume the changes won't be drastic.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
whats the point of spending money on R&D if the costs associated with the changes / R&D won't be offset by the sales. Given that logic, I assume the changes won't be drastic.
It may get the refined beak treatment, and I'd guess it only gets sold in a single trim level that is pretty much the Tech version. If there is something cheap from the advance package maybe that gets added (ventilated seats?) but one trim level at an attractive price may push a few more units. But not sure what can be done to get ZDX sales up in the range they once hoped. They can't dumb it down too much though.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Considering this is supposed to go on sale in a couple weeks, surprised about the lack of press on it. I googl'ed and didn't find any pics; am interested to see how they tone down that front end. I can live w/ that beak, but the lower grille w/ those fog light surrounds are very odd. Anyone have any pics stashed away?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by x2lacrosse
Considering this is supposed to go on sale in a couple weeks, surprised about the lack of press on it. I googl'ed and didn't find any pics; am interested to see how they tone down that front end. I can live w/ that beak, but the lower grille w/ those fog light surrounds are very odd. Anyone have any pics stashed away?
I haven't seen any new pics if that is what you are asking for. I have pics of mine in the following gallery

http://www.pbase.com/terdonal/planes...nd_automobiles
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 AM
Advanced

Nope, there aren't any photos yet. Still scheduled to launch mid October though so we won't have to wait much longer.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Instructor

In today's digital age, I'm surprised about the lack of press on this. I'm shocked that Acura/Honda wouldn't want to give it some hype considering how poorly its done for them.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Summer is Coming

In today's digital age, I'm surprised about the lack of press on this. I'm shocked that Acura/Honda wouldn't want to give it some hype considering how poorly its done for them.
They seem to be putting in minimal effort on the ZDX. Considering they barely sell one a day nationwide they certainly won't spend much on advertising. Probably an Acura release soon.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
I think if done right the zdx could sell a lot better. Like the 2012 tl, sales could increase.

I don't like the one package idea. It will hurt the advance resale value.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
any updates on the facelift?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Besides the price I don't see how they can address the issues of low mpg, rear seat entry/room. I do think the grill will be changed.

As a longtime coupe buyer, I love the uniqueness of the ZDX, the used prices are great! for what all you get. I don't need a back seat, my foot dragger is the mpg. I'm trying to justify that cost over the uncertain gas price future.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Instructor

So it's now Oct 2; Acura's site still shows the '12 and can't find anything about the '13 model. Anyone know when it's going on sale?
The RDX is getting long in tooth and a little more irritating w/ each drive. At first, really didn't like the ZDX but it's really grown on me. The main thing still keeping me away is the front. How's the MPG on this thing (real world, not EPA posts)? It can't be much worse than the RDX, can it? We use ours primarily for weekend trips in summer, so it's mainly HW miles and it still manages a paltry 22'ish MPG.
What's the utility factor like? Not worried about people, more about if we need to haul some stuff somewhere.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Advanced

Acura PR says another few weeks before we get to see it.

I'd imagine it will get the same type of grille as the RDX but with some styling hints that will preview the new MDX.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Toby123
I'd imagine it will get the same type of grille as the RDX but with some styling hints that will preview the new MDX.
No issues w/ that; I actually like the new ILX & RDX grilles. Gives Acura its recognizable face w/o being completely obnoxious. I just hope they also re-do that trapezoid looking fog surround; I think that looks really hideous.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Summer is Coming

So it's now Oct 2; Acura's site still shows the '12 and can't find anything about the '13 model. Anyone know when it's going on sale?
The RDX is getting long in tooth and a little more irritating w/ each drive. At first, really didn't like the ZDX but it's really grown on me. The main thing still keeping me away is the front. How's the MPG on this thing (real world, not EPA posts)? It can't be much worse than the RDX, can it? We use ours primarily for weekend trips in summer, so it's mainly HW miles and it still manages a paltry 22'ish MPG.
What's the utility factor like? Not worried about people, more about if we need to haul some stuff somewhere.
Between 2 and 3 MPG worse than the '13 RDX.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/
Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ZDX MPGs

I drive pretty conservatively and for the last 5500 miles, the average is 19.5.
Per tank, I've been happy getting about 395-405 miles; slightly less than 20 (19.7 MPGs) mixed driving ('punched' from time to time ;-).

Again, for this MPG, I wish the ZDX is either faster or lighter.
I would be extremely happy to get 25...
Maybe the SH-AWD is too heavy (we don't really use it here in Dallas, TX).
I do admit I like having it though; making the Z feel more 'planted' on the road.

Regarding utility, my wife said it best: 'What A Useless SUV...'
Nothing much really can fit in this car...
Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm about the same...18-19.5mpg depending on traffic. In truth, I'd be happy to give up the glass roof for a normal moon roof, as I'm sure the glass roof adds to the heavy weight of the ZDX. Aside from the glass roof's weight, it is preventing the "Utility" of the ZDX from being fully utilized as it doesn't lend well to any roof rack applications.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trail runner
I'm about the same...18-19.5mpg depending on traffic. In truth, I'd be happy to give up the glass roof for a normal moon roof, as I'm sure the glass roof adds to the heavy weight of the ZDX. Aside from the glass roof's weight, it is preventing the "Utility" of the ZDX from being fully utilized as it doesn't lend well to any roof rack applications.
For me, eliminating the glass roof will transform the ZDX into just 'another regular' crossover; I love the panoramic

I do agree about having an OEM roof rack from Honda/Acura though... (although for me, maybe just as a 'cosmetic').

Here in Dallas, to lose weight/improve mpgs, I'd give up the SH-AWD...
Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Taken from Temple of VTEC:
The innovative and stylish Acura ZDX crossover vehicle, introduced in 2009, will receive numerous styling and technology enhancements for the 2013 model year, which will be the final year on the market for ZDX as the Acura brand sharpens its focus on new models and core products, the company announced today.

The 2013 ZDX will receive several new features, including a redesigned front grille, front and rear parking sensors, power folding side mirrors and safety features such as Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW). The 2013 Acura ZDX will go on sale October 19, 2012, with a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) starting at $50,920*.

"People shopping for a luxury crossover vehicle will find the Acura ZDX an even more attractive product," said Jeff Conrad, vice president and general manager of the Acura Division. "Moving forward, we will continue to advance the Acura lineup with a focus on new core models, like the recently redesigned RDX and the upcoming all-new RLX flagship sedan, that provide the ideal balance of performance and fuel efficiency that is right for each product and a driving experience that is dynamic and emotional."

The ZDX is built in the same Alliston, Ontario plant as the Acura MDX, which shares the platform with ZDX. As a result, ZDX production will be discontinued in conjunction with the transfer of the popular MDX to the company's Lincoln, Alabama plant in early 2013 (as previously announced).

For 2013, the Acura ZDX will be sold as a single, valued-added package offering clients greater value on a luxury scale. Robust features now standard on the 2013 ZDX include the 435-watt Acura/ELS Surround® 10-speaker audio system with 15 GB hard disk drive (HDD) memory, Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, 8-inch high-resolution VGA display, multi-view rear view camera, Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless telephone interface, ventilated and heated front seats with perforated premium Milano leather seating surfaces, Keyless Access System (with Smart Entry and pushbutton ignition) and dual-zone automatic climate control system.

The ZDX will receive several new exterior features for 2013, such as a redesigned front grille, front and rear bumpers with integrated parking sensors, power-folding auto-dimming side mirrors and a dark accent on the wheels for a sportier finish. The interior receives a new wood trim on the center console and a high contrast interior option.

Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW) are two new safety features for the 2013 ZDX. The Forward Collision Warning (FCW) system can detect vehicles ahead of the ZDX. If the FCW system determines that a collision is possible with a detected vehicle, it provides the driver with visual and audio alerts to encourage avoidance actions. Lane Departure Warning (LDW) uses a camera mounted between the windshield and the rear-view mirror to detect lane lines on the road. If the driver begins to drift out of a detected lane without using the turn indicator, the system will provide the driver with visual and audible alerts.

The 2013 ZDX is equipped with an all-aluminum 3.7-liter V-6 engine that develops 300 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque. Performance is further enhanced by the ZDX's Sequential SportShift 6-speed automatic transmission that is designed to satisfy the most discerning enthusiast drivers. The 2013 ZDX EPA city/highway/combined fuel mileage is rated at 16/23/19 mpg**.

For customers seeking a great balance of utility and performance Acura will continue to offer vehicles in the luxury crossover space with the 5-passenger RDX and the TSX Sport Wagon. Acura also will continue to provide ZDX customers with a high-level of service and parts support throughout the life of their vehicles.

U.S. sales of Acura models increased 43.5 percent in September and rose nearly 30 percent to 115,773 units for the first nine-months of 2012, the Acura brand's best nine-month sales results since 2008. The Acura TL sedan, along with the MDX, RDX and TSX Sport Wagon crossover vehicles, have each posted double-digit gains for the year to date, including an 85.7-percent rise in sales of the redesigned RDX and a 25.2-percent gain for the TSX Sport Wagon. The all-new Acura ILX continues to gain momentum, posting its fifth consecutive monthly increase on September sales of 1,737 units.

Acura will debut its all-new 2014 Acura RLX luxury sedan on November 28, 2012, at the Los Angeles International Auto Show. The new Acura flagship sedan will employ an array of new technologies unique to Acura, including the Precision All Wheel Steer™ system, the next-generation AcuraLink® Communication System, and the all-new Jewel Eye™ LED headlamps to deliver an entirely new level of performance, sophistication and comfort.

Given the discontinuation, wonder why they even bothered w/ the refresh....

Last edited by x2lacrosse; 10-10-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Summer is Coming

Given the discontinuation, wonder why they even bothered w/ the refresh....
Yeah I'm a little puzzled too. Perhaps they already produced the engineering and tooling for the refresh and then decided to end it with the current MDX end date. Or perhaps this makes production cheaper and they lose less money on each one. This way they can take it to the end of the current MDX platform. That way it doesn't look so much like they are giving up. But annoucing the end of production, who is going to buy now? I bet there will be massive discounts to be had on this car.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I bet there will be massive discounts to be had on this car.
And that, is one of the beauties of their announcement. The flip side is that I bet resale will just plummet.

Someone else started a thread about this and has some pics of the refreshed version:
https://acurazine.com/forums/zdx-326/2013-acura-zdx-press-release-870843/

Last edited by x2lacrosse; 10-11-2012 at 09:54 AM.