The Richmond Acura Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
2008 PWP TSX + Nav / Auto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Richmond Acura Experience

Hey guys,

I know most of you already have an idea of the quality of service you get from Richmond Acura. I want to add to that "experience" by telling you guys my story.

I was at Richmond Acura for an alignment last week after my A-spec suspension install (I luckily installed it else where) and I recall seeing some clearance items on their website. I asked to see the parts guy Kevin Ng. We chatted a bit about what's available for my TSX and I asked if he has an lip-kit for my TSX's year in the right colour. He said there was a kit available for a lowered price than usual dealership price. I asked him if he can install it as well and maybe give me a discount if I installed it there. He said no discount, but of course he said I can install it there. He also told me the car would be ready by the end of day (it was around 11am at that time). Being a dealership, I guess I expected a better job of installing a lip-kit than some independent shop, so I went ahead and asked them to install it. They gave me a courtesy car (2009 TSX fully loaded, guess they couldn't sell these things) and I was on my way home.

About 1pm I get a call from Acura. A service rep said if I was able to drive the courtesy car back to them, so that they can give me another one. I was thinking WTF? I said I was working from home, so I'm not at leisure to come back to your dealership to exchange cars. He said he'll send over someone to exchange cars. I said that's fine. About 30min later, they arrived and exchanged cars with me. I asked the driver why they need this particular car back and he said it had something to do with the insurance. I thought... ok so you gave me a car with insurance problems as a courtesy car? What kind of incompetence is that? Oh well... whatever... at least they came to me instead of asking me to drive to their dealership.

I expected a call around 4:30pm, but I gave them a bit more time to call me. At 5:30pm I couldn't wait any longer and called them. The service rep told me they'd have to keep my car overnight to ensure the glue stick properly. I was a bit disappointed, but asked them politely whether I can pick it up tomorrow before I head to work at 9am. The service rep said yes that would be fine. After I hung up, I get a call back 2 minutes later from the same service rep. She said the technician needs to check whether the glue cured properly before giving me the car back tomorrow and the guy comes in at 11am. She asked if I can come in then. I said I can't, because I had to be at work by then. Now frustrated, I grudgingly complied to pick up the car after work at 6pm.

The next day, I get a call from them at 5pm to say that I can come pick up my car anytime. I reached the dealership at around 6pm and it was getting pretty dark. I checked out the lip-kit all around to ensure things are done properly. The rear and sides look great. The front looked a bit off. From closer inspection I see that there is a slight gap on one side of the fog light area where it meets the bumper. I tell the service rep this when she waiting for me the check the car. She said I can come back anytime Mon-Fri to speak with the technician who did it. Upon further inspection while I was on the lot, I felt a scratch underneath the front lip. I knelt down and saw a small spot where the lip got scratched... I was thinking WTF? Ahh... whatever it was underneath and nobody can see it.

I made an appointment the next day with the same service rep that I'd come in again to talk with her and the technician on the issue I had with the gap on the front lip spoiler. When I went in today to see them, the technician (his name was Al) was really polite. While I was chatting with Al, the parts guy Kevin Ng comes out asking us what's the problem. I told him there is a gap in the front lip with tape still sticking out of it. I also mentioned to him that there is a squeaking sound when I push lightly on the lip spoiler. He said it's because my bumper isn't new, so it's been flexing. With a new lip-spoiler it won't fit that well on an "old" bumper. Mind you, my car is a 2008 TSX with 28,000km on it. I hardly think that's "old" or that it the age on this car would deform the bumper. I asked him if there's anything he can do, he said nope, because it's an issue with my bumper being "out of shape".

It really frustrates me that the service at Richmond Acura is so poor. Their communications between themselves and with customers are not what I'd expect from any dealership or business. Not to mention I had expected some quality work from a dealership when installing a dealer accessory like a lip-kit. I expected there wouldn't be gaps with tape sticking out of it, because it was poorly peeled during installation. Maybe I was expecting too much eh?

Anyways, just a warning about Richmond Acura and their parts guy Kevin Ng. The guy will make empty promises to get the sale. When you go back to see if the dealership can fix issues he'll step in to intervene by saying there's nothing they can do, because its your own car's issues.

Here are some pics of the gap I was talking about with the some of the tape sticking out. There are other minor fitment issues as well with the front lip, but I'm too tired of this to take pics.

Here's a comparison between the left and right sides of the lip:

Left side... no gap:

right side... gap and tape:

closer look of the right side:

Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Intermediate

Sorry to hear about your experience with them, i always try to deal with burrard acura and they seem like pretty good guys...As for the lip kit install dont settle for anything less than perfect, go back and talk to the dealership manager and explain to them that you dont want the kit unless it fits perfectly...I just installed a Aspec kit to my car and its a 04 and i didnt have no problems like that
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
13.2@106mph G37 RWD Sedan

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
wtf thats messed up dawg if that was me i would have snapped and started swearing and shit. lol but yea dealerships are messed up i stopped going to them after i got ripped off once at honda...
i remember i got a new steering wheel installed from them and then it started making weird clicking noises when i turned it and the guy at the service department said it was normal to make little bit of noise.
i never gone to a dealership for anything after that other then maybe some oem parts that you cant find anywhere else. and there labour rates are thru the roof. oh well try calling acura client services the number is 1-888-9ACURA9 and file a complaint with them. they may be able to get this resolved for you

Last edited by kdawg8526; 03-08-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by kdawg8526
oh well try calling acura client services the number is 1-888-9ACURA9 and file a complaint with them. they may be able to get this resolved for you
Thanks for the tip. I might give them a call later. Have you tried giving them a call before? I'm not sure what to expect.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know not many of you live near the Langley Acura dealership but if you do don't bother dealing with them. Go somewhere else, I've had way too many bad experiences there.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by pally777
Thanks for the tip. I might give them a call later. Have you tried giving them a call before? I'm not sure what to expect.
no i havent called them before because when i had the conflict before with honda dealership that was because of my old accord
Old 03-09-2010, 12:13 AM

I think what I'll do is try to get a hold of the service department manager and then go up to corporate Acura if that doesn't work.

Sigh... who tought getting a lip kit from the dealer could be such a bad experience. This is really turning me off from Acura.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:35 AM

just keep fighting if that doesnt work tell them how youll file a complaint with acura client services and also gonna have a talk with the better business bureau...

your car is pretty new still so there shouldnt be a problem with the fitment and your bumper. and ive never heard of a bumper changing shape as it gets older

and you said there was a scratch on the bottom of the lip right? tell them to replace the lip because brand new oem lips dont come with scratches on it

im thinking they must have scraped it while they were parking your car or something and thats how the lip must have gotten out of place too

try starting a thread in the tsx section and see what others have to say youll get some good advice on what to do.. people here are very helpful

Last edited by kdawg8526; 03-09-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Unregistered Member

thats too bad, my car has been serviced there a couple of times and i bought some things from them as well and never had a problem.. GL with whatever happens with your situation!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:25 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pally777
Go back to Richmond Acura and ask to speak to the service manager and rip a shread off him... I guarantee if u do that they will fix it for u right away... and don't be satisfied with there BS excuse that its the bumpers fault... i have 06 TL and had Surrey Honda install it... and it fits perfectly.. My wife works there and they know how she is with her car so they made sure they did it properly.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Instructor

That's pretty BS, I had my lip kit installed on my 05 TSX last year and there isn't any gaps at all. There shouldn't be any problem with "old" bumpers.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:53 AM

Thanks for the support guys. I'm hoping to have time to call them soon during work hours to resolve this.

Honestly, it's not a huge issue. If they had tried to rectify it, I might be more content. However, the fact the parts associate comes out to speak with me about an installation job and giving me an excuse to blame MY car for their poor installation is what upsets me.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Endless pursuit of...

Hey guys,

As most of you know, I also had an '08 TL-S that came without kit. After a year, I saw for sale from Middlegate Honda on Craigslist (of all places, huh?) that they were selling the front lip kit at clearance price. Anyways, I bought the lip, had it installed at Ground Zero; and upon isntall, noticed some gaps between bumper and lip. Jason (owner of Ground Zero), advised me that sometimes the lip kits, no matter if it's aftermarket or OEM, can NEVER be a 100% fitment. Told me to confirm with Acura and maybe some body shops for a second opinion.

So, I asked NS Acura and Lougheed Acura, and they gave me the same answer. A bit fustrated because the gaps were quite visible, I decided to ask one of the more reputable body shops (AK Autoworks in Burnaby; owner is also a TL owner!). Even they gave me the same answer.

So, in conclusion... unfortunately, like cars, lip kits can never be 100%. I feel your fustration that the lip isn't fully flush with bumper. You pay so much to get OEM kit and you expect a perfect fit, but because of manufacturing, there will be times that it won't fit 100%.

PS, the only solution that was offered by the body shop and Ground Zero, is to bring it to a body shop, have them heat up the bumper and GLUE it on... and hopefully that will keep it's new form.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:20 PM

but i believe if u spend the time when your installing it you can probably get it to line up properley.. put some more extra screws in to raise it so no more gaps or something

im gonna get my lip kit next week imma do it myself

Last edited by kdawg8526; 03-10-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Vancity_TL
So, in conclusion... unfortunately, like cars, lip kits can never be 100%. I feel your fustration that the lip isn't fully flush with bumper. You pay so much to get OEM kit and you expect a perfect fit, but because of manufacturing, there will be times that it won't fit 100%.
I agree that it may not fit flush 100%. In my case, I find that the left and right sides are inconsistent. How can one side fit and another doesn't? Even more importantly, I cannot accept that a proper quality installation involves double sided tape sticking out from the gap between the lip and the bumper. This tells me that they didn't take the time to install it and allow the glue to cure. This is probably what caused the gap I see.

I do understand what you're saying though Vancity_TL. I don't expect 100% flush, but I do expect that they don't give me excuses by blame at the customer's own car for poor installation and say that there's nothing they will do for you.

I think it is best to install it yourself. Next time I'll remember that.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 AM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Similar thread going on in the 2nd Gen tsx section right now..ill just repost what I said:

I dont like Richmond Acura because I went there to test drive the TSX when I was car shopping and they treated me like garbage. I dont think the salesman took me serious as a real buyer and he talked on his cell phone during our test drive. I left the dealership saying that I love the car but I'll be purposely NOT buying it from him haha.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:31 AM

i hate it when that happens that happened to me too before
Old 03-11-2010, 04:47 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ttk5
Similar thread going on in the 2nd Gen tsx section right now..ill just repost what I said:

I dont like Richmond Acura because I went there to test drive the TSX when I was car shopping and they treated me like garbage. I dont think the salesman took me serious as a real buyer and he talked on his cell phone during our test drive. I left the dealership saying that I love the car but I'll be purposely NOT buying it from him haha.
I purposely go wearing grunge clothes to see what kind of service i get.. if the service is not good i ask to see the sales manager and give them a piece of my mind. I have only dealt with Richmond Acura once.. and they treated us the same.. as if we were not able to afford to buy the car. I will never deal with them again...
Old 03-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Endless pursuit of...

Me and my family have gotten all our Acura's ( 2 MDX's, 2 EL's, TSX, RDX, and my new TL) all from Lougheed Acura. I found that the sales team there is quite nice but service dept. not so much. Doesn't matter to me cuz all my work is done through Ground Zero.

Another good Acura dealership is North Shore Acura. Again, good sales staff and average to above average service dept.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:02 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jkballin
I know not many of you live near the Langley Acura dealership but if you do don't bother dealing with them. Go somewhere else, I've had way too many bad experiences there.
Do you mean you got bad service or bad work done on your car? I am heading down there next week for service....
Old 03-22-2010, 02:40 PM
6th Gear

Me and my family have gotten all our Acura's ( 2 MDX's, 2 EL's, TSX, RDX, and my new TL) all from Lougheed Acura. I found that the sales team there is quite nice but service dept. not so much. Doesn't matter to me cuz all my work is done through Ground Zero.

Another good Acura dealership is North Shore Acura. Again, good sales staff and average to above average service dept.
I agree with you about Lougheed Acura... I deal with the sales manager there and have a wicked expirence everytime i go there. I saw your car at Lougheed on Saturday when i picked up my 2010 MDX.... I finnaly got my TL back... it cost me alot of damn money... but at least i got the wife off my back and i am back in my car.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Endless pursuit of...

Originally Posted by sxypun
I agree with you about Lougheed Acura... I deal with the sales manager there and have a wicked expirence everytime i go there. I saw your car at Lougheed on Saturday when i picked up my 2010 MDX.... I finnaly got my TL back... it cost me alot of damn money... but at least i got the wife off my back and i am back in my car.
LoL... yea... i miss that car... they're still asking ALOT for it... LOL. I deal with Spencer Huang there...
Old 03-24-2010, 02:15 PM
6th Gear

LoL... yea... i miss that car... they're still asking ALOT for it... LOL. I deal with Spencer Huang there...
I deal with Jackie Lee ... he is the sales manager there... we have a hook up with him as my wife works for Surrey Honda... yeah they are asking alot on money for it... but there a dealership so they wanna make max money..
Old 03-27-2010, 03:30 AM

Alright, I got an update.

I got a call back from the service manager and he asked me to bring my car in this past Wed so they can install the new lip. I dropped the car off early morning and the service rep who helped me was really polite. I asked her if the service manager was there while she was doing the paper work for me. She said he is usually busy in the back and that she'll take care of everything. I was hoping to speak with him, but since he setup everything already I didn't think much of it. They gave me a courtesy car (09' TSX) and I was off to work.

I get a call back from the service rep around 3:30pm. She says that there is still a slight gap between the front lip and the front bumper. "The technician tried their best" she said, so I told her I'll come check it out after I get off work.

I get there around 6pm, the service rep who helped me was already gone. I get the keys from the single remaining service rep there and I stood there for a bit thinking I need to sign something. I ask "So is there something I need to sign?" and the guy tells me "Nope, we're good". I was a bit surprised, but oh well. I go outside eager to check the work. See pictures below:

It seems they fixed the tape issue, which isn't really hard to fix honestly if they did a proper job of the installation. There is still some slight gaps, but I guess I can't expect much. There is a somewhat bigger gap on the passenger side wheel well area. Sigh... I guess they did try since they ordered a new lip spoiler in for me and reinstalled everything.

Overall, this was a much better experience dealing with the service manager (Martin), than the excuse spewing jerk of a parts manager (Kevin). I would have liked to talk to him, but it seems he never made any time to speak with me in person. I'd still recommend against going to Richmond Acura to get any lip kits installed. In my opinion, they just don't take the time nor have the expertise or tools it seems. Also, I would personally avoid buying parts from this dealership due to the service manager... he just doesn't give a crap about you once he makes the sale.

Last edited by pally777; 03-27-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:38 AM

Oops, I mean due to the parts manager I won't be buying parts there any longer.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:38 AM

can you take a full front end shot of the lip installed? i just wanna see how it looks