Zaino Question......

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Zaino Question......

This is probably a stupid question, but I've read about 10 Zaino topics and couldn't find a clear answer so I figured I'd just ask it....

When I buy my new car in a month or 2, it will come from the dealer already shined and polished. Would I still want to use the clay bar, or b/c it has a good foundation can I just go to the typical Z2/Z6 routine? Any help is appreciated. Also, my father is just looking for a nice quick wax. Would the Z6 quick spray be enough to polish it? Again, any help is appreciated.....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum

Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 04-30-2001, 02:33 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you plan on detailing the car yourself....I would tell the dealer not to touch it....not to wax it, wash it, etc,etc. He will prob end up putting swirls in it anyhow....

Clay is optional, but most cars will benefit from it...and will result in a VERY smooth paint finish. Use your judgement, its very easy to do. If you don't clay, at least do a dawn wash, and use Z1 / Z2...remember very thin coats.......

As for a "quick wax" Zaino Z6 will shine great, but offers little or no duability...its not really a wax but a shine enhancer. Their are a few spray waxes (carnuba based) out there, but they wont last more than 1-2 car washes. Your dad could do a Z1 and Z2 in about an hour...then he would be good for 4-6 months....that is the hot ticket.......
Old 05-01-2001, 01:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

I would say that claying the car is mandatory even on a new car. Since most cars sold in this country and transported by the rail system, you'll have pollutants such as rail dust in the paint. You'll want to wash the car with Dawn dishwashing soap, then clay it, and then Zaino it.

If you're dad is looking for something less labor intensive than Zaino, I'd go with Finish First. I've never used it, but have seen the results in pictures. It gives a great shine like Zaino but only requires one step to apply.
Old 05-01-2001, 05:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car was in "perfect" condition when I Zaino'd it. It had NO scratches, marks, dents, sap, or other junk in it.

I was thinking of passing on the clay, but remembered the notes and faqs from Sal Zaino's site. I also got a good # of notes from Volksfan about doing the whole set of steps.

The clay only took about 20 minutes for the entire car. The front and sides were smooth to being with, but I found some really tiny pin sized tar or bug spots that just lifted right off.

I was surprised when I was claying the rear of the car around the back trunk lid and the bumper and finally felt some rough spots. I actually had some dirty grey-black junk appear. After about 2 minutes on that section the bar moved over the paint like silk (very Smoooooth).

So, even if your like me, and tell the dealer to "stay away from the car", you might find some brake dust, bug drops, tiny water spots, and rail dust in the paint. If you clay it after the dawn, and do it right, you will be putting on a "perfect seal" over a perfect surface.

Look at it this way -- do you want to put a nice clear protective coat over a bunch of zits?

Do it right the first time -- you will be so happy.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-01-2001, 08:34 AM
Fastdriver

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by juniorbean:

This is probably a stupid question, but I've read about 10 Zaino topics and couldn't find a clear answer so I figured I'd just ask it....

When I buy my new car in a month or 2, it will come from the dealer already shined and polished. Would I still want to use the clay bar, or b/c it has a good foundation can I just go to the typical Z2/Z6 routine? Any help is appreciated. Also, my father is just looking for a nice quick wax. Would the Z6 quick spray be enough to polish it? Again, any help is appreciated.....

</font>
DON'T let the dealer TOUCH it! That's how all those swirl marks get on the finish in the first place. I told them I did NOT want them to wash it or wax it! I told them to even leave the white plastic on it! I made them write it on the contract in big letters! As a result, I have no scratches or swirls. I told them I would STILL give them an excellent rating when that survey form came from Acura- I did!

I also clayed the car and got some crap off. Couldn't wait to do this step. Very easy. Take a look at my post in this topic- "Looking better and better" for the pics I just took yesterday.

As for your dad- I'd say do it right or don't do it at all. The Z products are EASY to use.

------------------
fastdriver
2001 San Marino Red w/parchment interior.
[*]No nav.[*]No spoiler.[*]Lojack[*]Four coats of Zaino so far! That red is gleaming![*] Number 34331.[*]Built 3/01.[*]Bought 3/28/01
fastdriver's CL without Zaino!
fastdriver's CL with 3 coats of Zaino and the last two with 4 coats of Z-2/Z-6
Click here if Yahoo photos don't work.
fastdriver's previous cars. The 300M has Zaino.

Accept mediocrity and that's all you'll ever get!
Old 05-02-2001, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Guys,

Thanks for all of the replies. They were all very helpful. I'm going to actually try to convince my father to split some Zaino stuff with me. From what I've been reading, both on here and on Zaino's site, I need the Clay Bar, Z1, Z2, and Z6. Is that it? Is there anything special you use to apply or remove the waxes? Thanks again!!

Old 05-02-2001, 02:54 PM
Advanced

get the car wash.....it works with the polish system. I would get that before the Z6....but both is even better!
Old 05-02-2001, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fastdriver:
DON'T let the dealer TOUCH it! That's how all those swirl marks get on the finish in the first place. I told them I did NOT want them to wash it or wax it! I told them to even leave the white plastic on it! I made them write it on the contract in big letters! As a result, I have no scratches or swirls. I told them I would STILL give them an excellent rating when that survey form came from Acura- I did!
*(snip)*
</font>
Is it OK to use the Zaino treatment right after I buy the car? Doesn't the paint need time to "cure"?? Thanks again!!

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum

Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 05-02-2001, 04:10 PM
Fastdriver

Is it OK to use the Zaino treatment right after I buy the car? Doesn't the paint need time to "cure"?? Thanks again!!

</font>
juniorbean-

NO need to wait with today's paint jobs. That was the rule in the "olden" days! Order some of Sal's applicator pads to apply the Z polish. Hand wash them before they dry with liquid detergent as soon as you are finished with them.

------------------
fastdriver
[*]No nav.[*]No spoiler.[*]Lojack[*]Four coats of Zaino so far! That red is gleaming![*] Number 34331.[*]Built 3/01.[*]Bought 3/28/01

Old 05-02-2001, 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fastdriver:
juniorbean-

NO need to wait with today's paint jobs. That was the rule in the "olden" days! Order some of Sal's applicator pads to apply the Z polish. Hand wash them before they dry with liquid detergent as soon as you are finished with them.
</font>
That's pretty funny... you would think that being only 24, I wouldn't have heard of paint curing!! Good to know. Thanks!!

Old 05-02-2001, 10:20 PM
Fastdriver

That's pretty funny... you would think that being only 24, I wouldn't have heard of paint curing!! Good to know. Thanks!!

</font>
LOL... Some "youngsters" are more informed then others! You must read a lot!

------------------
fastdriver