Zaino on oxidized/cloudy paint`

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino on oxidized/cloudy paint`

Hello all,

I've just got my TSX and will follow the steps as detailed in the sticky to get my car really clean and shiny.

I would also like to try to restore some shine to an older car that doesn't look shiny anymore. The paint is oxidized and cloudy. Is there anything special to do before the application steps to applying Zaino? Like some extra washing soap or compound to remove the oxidation? Or will washing it first with dawn and then following the steps to applying Zaino will be enough to restore some shine to it. I know it won't be like a true carshow shine but I do want to at least make it a little prettier.

RedBox
Old 03-14-2004, 12:05 AM
CDR
Instructor

For the older car ... Zaino won't help oxidized paint at all. The Dawn wash simply removes any wax on the surface, and Zaino is a pure sealant (e.g. no chemical or abrasive paint cleaners).

You'll need to fix the paint condition before putting any sealant on the surface. Depending on the source of oxidation and paint color, something like Klasse AIO ("all in one") with a strong chemical cleaner, (but no abrasives) can be a good and easy answer. A conventional alternative is to step through abrasive levels with various polishes. Be sure to clay the old finish, it makes a noticeable difference even though it won't do anything for the oxidation.

Consumer "one step" cleaner-waxes usually have mild abrasives and chemical cleaners in them to remove oxidation, plus wax or equivalent surface layer. In a pinch, you could try one of those products you have and see if it restores the finish sufficiently. If it does, do the car then remove the wax with Dawn and follow with the Zaino ritual.

Take a visit to the tutorials and suggestions on Autopia (www.autopia.org) -- overwhelming, but the answer is in there.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Registered AssHat

You'll probably want something to remove the oxidization and remove the scratches/swirls. Otherwise, Zaino will give it shine, but the paint will still be cloudy and oxidized...just shiner!
Old 03-14-2004, 12:23 AM
Cruisin'

Ok.. thanks for the quick replies guys. I will go hunting at www.autopia.org however if anyone can recommend some products to remove the oxidation, I'm all ears!

RedBox
Old 03-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Racer

Klasse All in one as the guy said above. I've seen before and after pics where that stuff does AMAZING things to oxidation.