Don't worry.

I saw his 3 and gave you 124.

-XP
Old 12-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
darth, why did you give me negative reps
Oops. I hit the wrong button. I meant to give you a positive rep.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino, in my opinion, is highly overrated. However, it's all about prep and very little rides on the actual sealant (in this case, Zaino). There are so many less expensive, less time consuming choices out there that give a deeper look, less plasticky, and just overall more pleasing. Zaino is a flashy, shiny car product. If you want a beautiful, deep glow, try a different sealant topped with a carnauba wax.

Getting back to prep, claying (not difficult at all), then hand polishing (for ease) but preferably machine polishing (with a PC 7336/7424 both the same) will remove swirl marks/imperfections. Not that I'm biased to one product, but this is an example to achieve a beautiful finish.

Wash (using two bucket method and a safe car shampoo). For products, select a genuine 100% sheepskin wash mitt (microfiber mitts don't hold suds), a list of washing products can be found here. For techinique on washing your vehicle, click here.

Next, it's necessary to clay your vehicle. Clay Magic clay kit or Meguiar's Quik Clay kits are available locally and work fine! For claying technique, please click here.

Finally, your vehicle's paint is smooth and super-clean. Left like this, though, would be bad because it's not protected and the imperfections have not been removed (swirl marks, scuffs, etc.).

Polishing is necessary to remove these imperfections. By hand, you can achieve okay results, but machine polishing is faster, easier, and better results (although more costly). For hand polishing, click here

Machine polishing, click here.

TIPS ON POLISHING: By hand, you should select a Paintwork Cleanser, such as Sonus Paintwork Cleanser, P21S/S100 Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, or Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. Use a Micofiber applicator and apply cleanser polish following the hand polishing link. This will hide minor (very minor) imperfections, but hand polishing is much more labor intensive than machine. I wholly recommend machine polishing.

Machine polishing is not hard at all. If you have heavy, heavy swirl marks, select a polish for heavy swirl marks, such as SSR3 by Poorboy's, SFX-1 by Sonus. However, most people have medium to light swirl marks if there car is within 1 year old. For medium swirl marks, select SSR 2.5 by Poorboys, or Menzerna Intensive Polish. For medium light to light swirls, select Poorboyas SSR1 or Menzerna Final Polish.

Finally, we're ready to seal. Zaino is a choice. If you choose Zaino, just mix ZFX with your Z-2 or Z-5 and apply with a microfiber applicator. No need to follow the strict steps on the Zaino websites or the Zaino application guide here. We've all ready prepped the paint, so there's no need for a harsh Dawn Wash, claying again, or anything else you would normally do with the traditional Zaino instructions. Just apply the Zaino!!!! It's a sealant (why do they call it a polish? no one knows). It will look plasticky, but you're done!

If you choose a different sealant, you'll get different results. Poorboy's EX or EX-P, Four Star UPP, Wolfgang Sealant, etc. are all good. No need to mix anything else, and most of these are $15 bucks or less (compared to Zaino at $13 + ZFX at $20!). You can leave it like this, or have the option of topping your sealant with a carnauba wax. S100 Carnauba Wax is versatile and only $15 a jar! it's the exact same thing as P21s. Meguiar's #16 is a good wax, too. Now you're very flexible because you have all these different sealants and waxes to choose from, why not just step outside of Zaino for a second?

Carl
Old 12-26-2004, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Carcar for your post. I think we are on the same track on the steps to prepare the car for polishing/waxing. So far using the two bucket method of washing the car with a lamb skin mit there are no scratchs or spider webing. I have washed my car five times since October when I purchased the TL new. I hope my luck holds up.