Is Zaino overrated?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Zaino overrated?

Is there anyone out there like me who have tried Zaino and hasn't been impressed? I went the whole route and bought Z1,Z5,Z6 and someother Z that I don't remember. I waited the aloted time between coats and spent about 8 hours total of labor. At the end when I looked at the shine I thought big deal. It didn't have any depth to it and I thought I could of bought any type of wax and it would compare to Zaino. Discounting all the time involved in applying Zaino and all the expense can any of you say that Zaino is far better than anything I have tried in the past? I know Zaino has almost a cult following and I could be wrong but I just don't see the difference.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:10 AM
Instructor

You need Z-2. There is a noticiable difference if you don't apply Z-2 after Z-5. Z-5 is supposed to hide swril marks and Z-2 brings out the color and the shine.

I agree it is a lot of labor and very time consuming. I did Z-5 1 weekend and Z-2 the next weekend and there is a big difference in the color it brings out.

I don't think Wax lasts as long as Zaino which is why people like Zaino products. Do I think it's over rated? No...it's a very good product!

Is there something I like better? Yes... www.DetailingDynamics.com has products that are much easier to use and is supposed to last at least 3 months.

Keep in mind you have a new car so there can't be that much improvment... It already looks good and you're buying these products to protect it so it stays that way!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:59 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The aesthetics of a vehicles appearance is very subjective to say the least, the only best wax or sealant that really matters is what looks 'best' to you...

It really does all come down to; 85% preparation, 5% product, 7% application method and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Instructor

So true

the look is in the prep

that being said - Zaino is a love it or hate it relationship. I think the problem is in the zealous way the lovers talk about it. People who jump in thinking "my car will blind people when I am done..." end up 8 hours later going "errr..ummmm...it looks good but what did I just drop 90 bucks on?"

and I am not a zaino hater - I have it on my car right now - It is a good product and lasts a long time, but their are other lines out there that produce just as good if not better (in some people's opinons) results.

as said before - you have a new car so other than claying it to get the rail dust and what not off - you will probably be happy with your zaino purchase since you probably won't need to reapply for months and months
Old 11-19-2004, 03:07 PM
All Hail the Chief

I am a Zaino convert from Meguiars, and don't plan on switching anytime soon.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:03 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
I use a variety of products. Different situations for me require different products. It really depends on what you are looking for. Most rave about it's durability, yet are more then willing to put multiple coats on each month. If i'm doing monthly waxes on a car, zaino is not my first, second, third, fourth or fifth choice. For durability it's up at the top, but there are a few others that are close up with it.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:03 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
I will say, it is a great product, I currently have it on my girls accord. I'm just doing some product testing and her car is a guinea pig
Old 11-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Advanced

I think if you've got the time, money and interest it's a good product. However if your car is in reasonably goos shape and you don't have the time money and interest, Meguire's NXT will get you most of the way there with 10% of the effort
Old 11-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I second the Meguire's NXT. I think this is the only product they have ever put out that I can say I actually like. I almost fogot that I do like their tire shine gel it smells like grapes mmm.....
Old 11-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Instructor

I have to agree with most of you in that Zaino is pretty durable. But it is a lot of work to get there. Currently I am using Klasse All-in-one and Klasse Glaze. These products are very difficult to work with in that you have to wipe on then immediately wipe off otherwise it will take a lot of effort to get the product off.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:45 PM
Systems Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may want to try Wolfgangs. I just did my NBP and it looks like glass. The company claims that it will last 5-9 months depending on the conditions. It was easy to polish and put the finish coat on.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:41 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by joetroy
I think if you've got the time, money and interest it's a good product. However if your car is in reasonably goos shape and you don't have the time money and interest, Meguire's NXT will get you most of the way there with 10% of the effort

The effort zaino requires are tools that you should use no matter WHAT products you are using. A car needs to be rid of it's contaminents before applying an LSP
Old 11-20-2004, 03:49 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Zaino is very good and not overrated at all. The Athracite color will not have an optical depth like NBP. It's in color. On my NBP nothing have given shine like Zaino, then again, I've not used anything other than Zaino.

P.S. : Look at the picture in my signature.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Lengevity is key. They all will make your car shine.

I haven't done a coat of Zaino on my car for at least 4-6 months and the water beads just like after a fresh coat.

Can carnauba say the same?
Old 11-21-2004, 06:41 PM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK ASSASIN

Zaino

Just say yes to Zaino !

[IMG]www.acura-tl.hytekhosting.com/uploaded/outsidex2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Banned

I think more than anything as stated above surface prep makes the biggest difference in results no matter what the product is being used. Zaino is not a bad product by any means however you can get near the same results with many other products. Do any of you go to autopia.com? I reccomend it
Old 11-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Banned

i never used Zaino before, but see my post https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-nokia-3360-a-102172/

it's been so easy for me to keep NBP clean and shiny i don't have any compelling reason to change.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:03 AM
Burning Brakes

I agree with those who are saying it's all in the prep. My first time using Zaino, I was like "nice", but not "Holy $hit !!". These dayz, proper prep really gives me some much needed depth and wettness.
Zaino tends to be overrated when people rave about it to the point it sounds like an infomercial. IMO, it's a great product because it does what it claims. Best things about it for me are the durability and slickness. Again, it's all in the prep for appearance.
In reference to the Detail Dymanics link, I plan to try their line next year when I have some time. Their detail clinic a few months ago was great (Thanks Mike !).
For this winter, I'll get by with the Zaino that's on my car.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Anthracite, and the first time I put Zaino on, I wasn't all that impressed..it shined but nothing like my 2002 NBP TLS. Since then, I've put 5-6 coats of Zaino on the car, and now all I can say is WOW!!! Zaino does layer, and with more coats, the depth of shine does improve dramatically. Last week, a friend stopped by, and swore that my car looked different than when I first purchased it. He said the paint looked darker, and deeper in color, and thought I had gotten another car with a different color. I notice it also, the color seems darker than when I first purchased the car, and the only thing I did was apply more coats of Zaino. The 3rd coat is where the difference became dramatic...after that..it's subtle. It's a lot of work, but worth the effort...and the stuff doesn't wash off like carnuba wax.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Instructor

I use Zaino on my Buick (black) and have never found anything else that can match Zaino's depth and scratch/swirl elimination abilities.

I prep and apply very carefully, but it is worth it IMHO. It is a bit of a process, but worth it if you want to go the extra step from clean to brilliant.

Scott
Old 12-02-2004, 08:32 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by JoganJani
On my NBP nothing have given shine like Zaino, then again, I've not used anything other than Zaino.

P.S. : Look at the picture in my signature.

well there goes your theory

I can name a ton of products i'd rather put on black then the Z if I wasn't look for durability
Old 12-02-2004, 08:34 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Scott GN231
I use Zaino on my Buick (black) and have never found anything else that can match Zaino's depth and scratch/swirl elimination abilities.

as I've stated, I like Z and think it's a good product

but one thing it definately lacks is depth (it's opitically clear) and the ability to remove scratches and swirls. Then again my Z5 is about 4 years old and I've heard the formula is different now.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:35 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Lengevity is key. They all will make your car shine.

I haven't done a coat of Zaino on my car for at least 4-6 months and the water beads just like after a fresh coat.

Can carnauba say the same?

I think megs #16 may be able to give Z a good run (although synthetics definately last longer then most carnubas), that said I wrapped up my 8 week test w/ Z on my girls accord and wasn't that impressed w/ it's beading, although it was good.

I then put on a coat of rejex and relaly didn't like it so through on some s100

and longetivity really isn't key for "most" of us in this section as we all reapply before it wears out for the most part
Old 12-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLpower
I think megs #16 may be able to give Z a good run (although synthetics definately last longer then most carnubas), that said I wrapped up my 8 week test w/ Z on my girls accord and wasn't that impressed w/ it's beading, although it was good.

I then put on a coat of rejex and relaly didn't like it so through on some s100

and longetivity really isn't key for "most" of us in this section as we all reapply before it wears out for the most part
Well for me longetivity is key particularly during the winter months when I can't wash my car as much as I would like. However when the weather gets better I will switch to S100 to get that extra depth in the shine.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:39 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Give #16 a shot, I personally think it'll rival Zaino
Old 12-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
for 1, i agree that the color matters. i hav an anthricite and just bought a zaino cleaner/polish wax(?) for 13 dollars at walmart. its ok but after i put bout 10 layers (yes 10) it shined lik..... really good!!! but wit only 1 coat on our white suburban or green matallic landcrusier, it really brought out the color!!!

also, it smells good.....

03' suburban z71
Old 12-05-2004, 05:57 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
for 1, i agree that the color matters. i hav an anthricite and just bought a zaino cleaner/polish wax(?) for 13 dollars at walmart. its ok but after i put bout 10 layers (yes 10) it shined lik..... really good!!! but wit only 1 coat on our white suburban or green matallic landcrusier, it really brought out the color!!!

also, it smells good.....

03' suburban z71

Which polish is this? I did'nt know Zaino can be had at Walmart. Or is this a diff product?
Old 12-05-2004, 06:55 PM
teh Senior Instigator

those are some negative reps real quick

zaino isn't sold at walmart, can't be bought at walmart. Sure you didn't buy zymol?
Old 12-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
but one thing it definately lacks is depth (it's opitically clear) and the ability to remove scratches and swirls.
Oh be patient young grasshopper. Sal is getting ready to release a swirl remover very soon. I tried it a year ago and was very impressed.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:22 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
those are some negative reps real quick

zaino isn't sold at walmart, can't be bought at walmart. Sure you didn't buy zymol?
LOL. Good guess. Zanio is definitely not available at Walmart.

I'm sure Zanio is a good product. However, there are a lot of great options out there these days (like Klasse, Four Star, Blackfire, etc). Zanio is just one of the many strong options out there. And, basically, anything that Zanio gives you, you can also get from Klasse for a lot less money.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Oh be patient young grasshopper. Sal is getting ready to release a swirl remover very soon. I tried it a year ago and was very impressed.
Are you one of his beta testers ?
When when when ?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:31 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I think Zaino is very overrated. I mainly used Mequairs products so I thought I would give Zaino a try as I am a detail nut. The Zaino gave no better shine than the Mequairs and the Zanio sometimes left a greasy film on my NBP TL-S.

When the Zaino was gone, I switched to Mequairs NXT. IMHO it gives a deeper shine than the Zaino. I tried it once and will not go back to Zaino.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:33 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Sal has a "swirl remover" in Z5 I thought? So he's comming out w/ an abbrasive polish?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:35 AM
teh Senior Instigator

darth, why did you give me negative reps
Old 12-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Sal has a "swirl remover" in Z5 I thought? So he's comming out w/ an abbrasive polish?
Z5 is more like a filler. I've noticed if there is a very faint scratch/swirl, it can fill it in after a few layers, but NXT can fill it with one pass
I've been hearing that Sal's coming out with a "true" SMR for a while now. I'm just curious when it's actually going to hit the streets.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
it is zaino but maybe i got it at lik autozone or some speciality shop in wilmington i think it's #2...... hmmmmm.....

but i also hav zymol and its ok for 10 bucks a bottle

03' suburban z71
Old 12-06-2004, 06:07 PM
teh Senior Instigator

it is zaino but maybe i got it at lik autozone or some speciality shop in wilmington i think it's #2...... hmmmmm.....

03' suburban z71

weird, never heard of zaino being sold in stores
Old 12-06-2004, 06:29 PM
never stops!

03' suburban z71

Only if it's Z2 then it is Zaino else something else. I do not think Zaino is sold in stores.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

I've only seen it sold online by a handful of vendors.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Zaino cures erectile disfunction

I brought my new TL home a virgin. I didn't let the dealer prep the outside except for an acid bath to get off most of the rail dust. Don't panic. It's just like vinegar and water (or another weak acid). I provided the dealer with a new lamb's wool mit and supervised the straight, back and forth strokes.

Then, I spent the next day -ten hours- detailing the NBP (black) TL. I did a Dawn wash, a clay bar, a Z7 wash, and two coats of Z2. The finish was flawless with not even a swirl mark or imperfection anywhere- not even underneath the rocker panels or the door jams.

Zaino? It was easy, but time consuming. As everyone underscores, light coats are imperative. You can hardly see it going on. That's as it should be. Less than one ounce will do the whole car easily.

To me, I agree with CLPower, it was shiny, mirror like but lacked depth. In fact, it almost looked silvery. It was highly reflective, but I was hoping for less of a mirror and more of a polished onyx look with some more depth to it.

Black is a funny color. Believe it or not, different products work better on different colors. I will use up my Zaino. I've got a big investment in it. But, then I want to try some others, like Blackfire, NXT, Wolfgangs, Klasse, etc.

For a discussion on those different products and their strengths and weaknesses, there are boards that specialize in detailing which have been mentioned here before (www.autopia.org).

-XP

Quick Reply: Is Zaino overrated?