TO ZAINO or NOT TO ZAINO

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 08:24 PM
'05 ABP/Camel M6 W/Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TO ZAINO or NOT TO ZAINO

I found a detail shop in Bethesda, MD that is willing to do just the exterior portion of his top (signature) service. I only want the exterior service because I just picked up my car this week (2005 ABP TL M6 w/NAVI). The URL is

http://www.aperfectshineservices.com...s.shtml#sddesc
He is offering to:

Clean and Dress Wheels and Tires
Clean and Wax Door Jambs
Engine Detail (by request at no extra charge)
Six Step Exterior Paint Solution:
1. Hand Wash and Dry
2. Clay Vehicle to Remove Contaminants
3. Machine Polish to Remove Scratches and Oxidation
4. 3 coats of Zaino Z-2 PRO sealant to provide greater protection, gloss, shine, depth, clarity and reflectivity.

The cost for this is going to be $170 (for the full including interior it is $250). How does this sound? I have used another shop before that did good work but uses a good wax not ZAINO. This guy charged about 190 for the whole package. I don't have a quote yet just for his exterior.

Is the ZAINO really worth the extra expense? How long will it last before it needs to be done again ( I live in MD near DC).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:10 PM
2nd Gear

Thumbs up

I've got a few friends who swear by Zaino. One individual had a red '00 Honda S2000, has used only Zaino. The car paint looks brand new, like smooth shiny red glass. I just ordered the complete kit from Zaino direct and plan on using it this weekend. I'll definitely let you know how it turns out. Also, I'm sure you've read other threads, but I wanted to confirm that claying is important. Time consuming, but well worth it.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdrdsr
I found a detail shop in Bethesda, MD that is willing to do just the exterior portion of his top (signature) service. I only want the exterior service because I just picked up my car this week (2005 ABP TL M6 w/NAVI). The URL is

http://www.aperfectshineservices.com...s.shtml#sddesc
He is offering to:

Clean and Dress Wheels and Tires
Clean and Wax Door Jambs
Engine Detail (by request at no extra charge)
Six Step Exterior Paint Solution:
1. Hand Wash and Dry
2. Clay Vehicle to Remove Contaminants
3. Machine Polish to Remove Scratches and Oxidation
4. 3 coats of Zaino Z-2 PRO sealant to provide greater protection, gloss, shine, depth, clarity and reflectivity.

The cost for this is going to be $170 (for the full including interior it is $250). How does this sound? I have used another shop before that did good work but uses a good wax not ZAINO. This guy charged about 190 for the whole package. I don't have a quote yet just for his exterior.

Is the ZAINO really worth the extra expense? How long will it last before it needs to be done again ( I live in MD near DC).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

It's pretty rare in my experience to have a detailer offer Zaino which is one of the best sythetics you can have on your paint. Just the longevity alone is something to strongly consider! As for the $170 I don't know. I've always detailed my own car. Does anyone know what the going rate is for an exterior detail?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

The price will depend on your area. Exterior details around me run $250-300. That sounds like a good price to me.

I'd be more interested in step 3 (the polishing), to see how agressive it will be. It should be pretty mild since it's an '05 and I'd imagine that the paint (being new) is in great condition. For the first year I had my car, I was able to just use mild paint cleaners and not really any abrasive polish. Keep in mind, Acura paint is very soft and wimpy.

I'm a regular Zaino user. I get about 6 months before I notice the paint is lacking something and I need to reapply, etc. The durability will depend on how the car is maintained. My car is outdoors 24/7 and I wash it weekly during the good season. I'll wash every 2 or 3 weeks during the winter when it's not freezing. If the car is garaged, washed weekly, kept really well, etc. You can probably go longer than 6 months.

If you get it done in the next month or so, the Zaino should offer you some great protection for the winter months. Just try to wash it (or get it washed) as often as possible. I'd probably go back to the same guy to get it washed if you don't feel like doing it yourself. He would know the paint, a better idea of the condition of the Zaino, etc.

Hope this helps
Old 08-27-2005, 05:09 PM
'05 ABP/Camel M6 W/Navi

Question

Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
The price will depend on your area. Exterior details around me run $250-300. That sounds like a good price to me.

I'd be more interested in step 3 (the polishing), to see how agressive it will be. It should be pretty mild since it's an '05 and I'd imagine that the paint (being new) is in great condition. For the first year I had my car, I was able to just use mild paint cleaners and not really any abrasive polish. Keep in mind, Acura paint is very soft and wimpy.

I'm a regular Zaino user. I get about 6 months before I notice the paint is lacking something and I need to reapply, etc. The durability will depend on how the car is maintained. My car is outdoors 24/7 and I wash it weekly during the good season. I'll wash every 2 or 3 weeks during the winter when it's not freezing. If the car is garaged, washed weekly, kept really well, etc. You can probably go longer than 6 months.

If you get it done in the next month or so, the Zaino should offer you some great protection for the winter months. Just try to wash it (or get it washed) as often as possible. I'd probably go back to the same guy to get it washed if you don't feel like doing it yourself. He would know the paint, a better idea of the condition of the Zaino, etc.

Hope this helps

What about just Carnuba & Teflon vs. The Zaino? The price difference is tremendous -- $170 for Zaino and $45 for Carnuba & Teflon. What are some pros / cons?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Not sure what you mean by Carnuba & Teflon. In general (very general), sealants will out last carnubas. With my experiences, sealants (i.e. Zaino or Klasse SG) can go 6-8 months if applied and removed properly on properly prepped paint. Carnubas seem to go 3 months before they need to be applied again. Usually, the benefit of a carnuba is that it will help make the paint look "wet" and "deep". However, these dayz, the sealants are doing pretty well in that department.

I would think a price difference between Zaino and a Carnuba should not be that extreme, unless the prep is more involved (i.e. more polishing, cleaning, claying, etc.)....which should't be the case. Or possibly, it's because it's 3x Zanio vs. 1x Carnuba. Implying that applying and removing the Zaino will take more time.

Do you know what Carnuba it is ?...Some have a shorter life than others. Meguiar's #16 has some pretty nice durability though.