Zaino Instructions 101, or Zanio for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The $90 gets you "many" products, 2 of which are polishes.

I would guess maybe 25 times. I only use 1/2 per application. Did I mention there is a total of 6 products for your $90?

Michael
Old 09-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking about ordering the kit, but first i need to know about the actual WASHING of the car. A few questions:

When washing the vehicle, let's say, with Z-7 (the first step according to Zaino 101), i should mix the Z-7 and water (1 capful to 12 oz (correct?)) in a bucket (is that okay?), but then what should i use to actually WASH the car? I have a brush that I've used for a while (long handle, sort semi-stiff bristles), and I don't know if that's safe. I also have a sponge. What I normally do (with my current wash) is throroughly hose down the car, removing all excess dirt, remove bug/tar with special remover, rinse thoroughly again, and the the handled brush, did it in bucket, and move around on the roof. Then, I rinse out the brush with the hose, switch over to the sponge, soak sponge in soap/water, and wash windows.

I repeat this, rinsing out sponge between each "application" of soap and water (so that I dip a CLEAN sponge in the soap/water to avoid dirtying the water). When I'm done, and take off the nozzle and run a steady sheet of water straight from the hose, so the water sheets down the car, reducing water spots. Drive vehicle in garage, and towel down with old cotton t-shirts for anything that's still wet.

SO, is there anything that I'm doing wrong? What do you guys use to WASH for Zaino? Special towels to wash? Special sponges? Tips?

Last question-when applying zaino, you use Zaino's applicator, right? That cotton pad? And put a small about of polish on there, rub into the car, let sit, and then RINSE off? Or wipe off? Wipe off with what? Do you do the whole car at a single time? Some of these specifics were not gone over.....

Well, thanks for any response. Hopefully I'll order zaino soon.....

carcar
Old 09-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Stop the presses!

Originally Posted by carcar
I'm thinking about ordering the kit, but first i need to know about the actual WASHING of the car. A few questions:

When washing the vehicle, let's say, with Z-7 (the first step according to Zaino 101), i should mix the Z-7 and water (1 capful to 12 oz (correct?)) in a bucket (is that okay?), but then what should i use to actually WASH the car? I have a brush that I've used for a while (long handle, sort semi-stiff bristles), and I don't know if that's safe. I also have a sponge. What I normally do (with my current wash) is throroughly hose down the car, removing all excess dirt, remove bug/tar with special remover, rinse thoroughly again, and the the handled brush, did it in bucket, and move around on the roof. Then, I rinse out the brush with the hose, switch over to the sponge, soak sponge in soap/water, and wash windows.

I repeat this, rinsing out sponge between each "application" of soap and water (so that I dip a CLEAN sponge in the soap/water to avoid dirtying the water). When I'm done, and take off the nozzle and run a steady sheet of water straight from the hose, so the water sheets down the car, reducing water spots. Drive vehicle in garage, and towel down with old cotton t-shirts for anything that's still wet.

SO, is there anything that I'm doing wrong? What do you guys use to WASH for Zaino? Special towels to wash? Special sponges? Tips?

Last question-when applying zaino, you use Zaino's applicator, right? That cotton pad? And put a small about of polish on there, rub into the car, let sit, and then RINSE off? Or wipe off? Wipe off with what? Do you do the whole car at a single time? Some of these specifics were not gone over.....

Well, thanks for any response. Hopefully I'll order zaino soon.....

carcar
FIRST OF ALL: LOSE THE BRUSH!

If you have a dark color, the brush is going to put swirl marks all over your finish.

Now, yes, you put the car wash in a bucket. Whether is is Zaino, Maguire's, Turtle Wax or whatever. Special car wash is not a detergent but a surfactant that "lubricates" your wash mit and floats the dirt off without scratching the finish.

I recommend two lamb's wool mitts and two buckets. The first bucket has the car wash in it and the second is plain rinse water. The first mitt is kept scrupulously clean and is for the actual washing of the car down to, but not including the bottome 10" and the wheel openings and wheels.

The second mitt is called a "Ten Inch Mitt" and is used in step two of the wash to get those lower and dirtier parts without contaminating the main mitt with grit and dirt.

After wetting down the car, you use the main mitt with car wash suds on it to start at the roof, making front to rear strokes (not circular) on the horizontal surfaces: roof, hood, trunk lid. Rinse the car and rinse the mitt in the clear water bucket. That way, the dirt that comes out of the mitt doesn't go back in the wash water.

Then wash the windows and doors/sides using up and down strokes with the main mitt but leave the bottom 10 inches for later with the other mitt. Rinse thoroughly. Get the 10 inch mitt. Do the door bottoms, the rocker panels- reaching way under because they go in about 8-10" underneath, front and rear bumper bottoms.

I use a sponge for the wheels. I also have a flat wheel brush for getting way into the rims. That water and sponge will be the dirtiest. I also use that sponge for the inside fenders and wheel opening flares, and splash guards if you have them.

Rinse everything well with no sprayer, just the low pressure, low volume hose flow. The water will sheet off if you have a good wax/polymer job and it will be easier to dry.

I use an arificial chamois to get the bulk of the water of, using the same directional strokes as I did when washing. Panel by panel, I then finish with a blue 24" X 24" waffle weave microfiber towel.

I dry the wheels last because the brake dust that you missed with the sponge will get on your chamois and discolor it. That brake "dust" has metal particles in it. You DO NOT want them to get on your washing stuff or on your paint.

Do all of this in a shady spot- not in the direct sun. Avoid getting under messy trees that drip sap or have leaves falling.

For more agonizing detail, go to www.autopia.com and dowload the car care booklet for free. It has all the whys and wherefors.

In case you missed it the first time: Please LOSE the brush.

As for Zaino.... you just wipe it on very thinly. You don't rub it in. Not neccesary. Let it set for about 30-60 mins, then wipe it off with microfiber towel or white, 100% cotton, made in America towels. You can follow the Z-2 or Z-5 with the quick detailer, Z6 for added luster on top of the Z-2 or Z-5.

Good luck.. It's fun.

XP
Old 09-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the great thread on zaino use, but i have a quick question. You refer to z-2 and z-5 as a polish which is the final step before z-7, but never mention a wax. I thought wax was what really protects your car while polish gives it the great shine? Am i correct in assuming that the final two steps in the zaino process is a combination of wax and polish? thanks for any clarification
Old 09-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Right church; wrong pew!

Originally Posted by utvol9903
Thanks for the great thread on zaino use, but i have a quick question. You refer to z-2 and z-5 as a polish which is the final step before z-7, but never mention a wax. I thought wax was what really protects your car while polish gives it the great shine? Am i correct in assuming that the final two steps in the zaino process is a combination of wax and polish? thanks for any clarification
Z2 and Z5 are not polishes per se. They are polymer sealants and protectants. They do not contain a polishing agent or abrasive. Z2 is sealant for new finishes, Z5 is similar except it has some filler for swirl marks if you have them.

Z7 is the car wash concentrate. You wash the car FIRST. When it is dried, (see previous post), you apply the Z2 or Z5 by wiping a THIN layer on with the applicator pad. You should dampen the pad with the Z6 Gloss Enhancer first and then put a nickle size dab of Z2/Z5 on, spreading it across the applicator with your thumb. Then, wipe it on with overlapping straight strokes almost as if it were a coat of varnish. It is hard to see when it is applied correctly. It doesn't form a haze or have residue like wax.

After it cures 30-60 mins, then you buff it off and, voila! A glass like finish. You can make the finish even glossier by following up with the Z6 spray. Again VERY sparingly.

You can do the whole car with Z2 or Z5 with less than an ounce. If you put a few drops of that blue Special Effects Accelerator stuff in the Z2 or Z5, it will cut the cure time down to 20-30 minutes. In any case, you can do the whole car, then take a break and come back later to buff it off. Best to do in the garage with the door closed so dust doesn't settle on it in the meantime.

In the beginning, you will tend to put too much on. That just makes it hard to buff. Go light.

The Z7 is to wash between "waxings". The Z6 is also for touch-up between waxings on a clean car.

XP
Old 09-20-2004, 12:45 AM
Advanced

thanks XP yeah I had just got the numbers of z-7 and z-6 mixed up in that I thought z-7 was the quik detail.

How do z-2 and z-5 compaire to a polymer wax such as NXT tech wax, are there any big differences as far as protection or what not?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Six of One...

If you are talking about contaminant protection, they are probably pretty equal. The Zaino probably has a wetter look and will last longer- up to 6 months. NXT also has polymer sealants and is very good. It's a matter of personal preference. The NXT may have more fillers for swirl marks. I'm not sure as I haven't used it on my TL yet. I don't have swirl marks. If you do, the Z5 has more fillers than the Z2.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:12 AM
10th Gear

Clay and Zaino layers

Originally Posted by automophile
3. Multiple Coats- This has little value with waxes, as the solvents in wax dissolve the previous layer as you put on a new one. The only benefit is covering spots you missed. With Zaino Polymer, each new layer adds to the previous one, so it continues to get smoother and shinier with each coat.
doesthe clay strip Zaino layer/coats built over time... I read in other thread where there were TLers with 11-15 coats of Zaino. My confusion is - how effective using clay is if the coats have built up over time.. or does the clay just cleanup the top most layer of the zaino coat...
may sound dumb...
Anyway thanks for clarification
Old 09-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Gummy blotter

Think of the clay bar as a soft, pliable blotter. There is some mild abrasive in it but very safe. The clay draws the contaminants into itself like a blotter. At the microscopic level, it is also picking the particles up into it's softer surface. I hesitate to say "shaving" because that is too strong a term for what it is doing. It will take off water spots, bird droppings, and paint overspary. Its action is more chemical than mechanical.

It will remove Zaino as just another "contaminant". Same for any other "wax". After the use of the clay bar, the surface is clean, smooth, and naked. It needs to have something put on to seal the porous suface or it will be vulnerable to attack. I wash the car after the clay bar and then apply the sealer/wax.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear

I too am a huge fan of Zaino. I have been using it faithfully for over a year now, and could not be happier.

As I am finding out there are many people out there that use this stuff, but the only way to get it is through Mail order. I am thinking of the possiblity to get it a bit more mainstream by selling to some local commercial outlets on a trial basis and then if that works move it to the larger markets. I have not approached Zaino about this, before I do I thought I would check to see if anyone else has contacted them to see if I am going to get shot down.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I ordered Zaino! It's coming tomorrow the 23rd. Should I wait until the weekend? Let's see, if I get home at 3:30 p.m., would i have enough time to do a complete first application (washing, claying, etc.)?

This is what i got!

ZFX Accelerator
Z-2
Z-7 Wash
Z-6 Gloss
Z-10 Leather Conditioner

Came to $61.00 (not bad)

I think I'll get a clay bar at an auto parts store, just couldn't see paying $17 for them.....

And the towels....where should i get those? I want one for washing (towel or some other washer), one for removing Z-2/buffing, one for removing Z-6, and one for drying (preferably microfiber large). I got a $6 Viking Microfiber polishing cloth a couple days ago, it's 16 x 16. Used it to wipe down/dust interior, wipe nav screen, and then i used it to clean windows. Now it's in the wash. What else could I use it for?

thanks,
carcar
Old 09-22-2004, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Sources

And the towels....where should i get those? I want one for washing (towel or some other washer), one for removing Z-2/buffing, one for removing Z-6, and one for drying (preferably microfiber large). I got a $6 Viking Microfiber polishing cloth a couple days ago, it's 16 x 16. Used it to wipe down/dust interior, wipe nav screen, and then i used it to clean windows. Now it's in the wash. What else could I use it for?

thanks,
carcar
Yes... good thinking. You can get clay bar kits with lube solution at most discount auto stores. Mothers makes one reasonably priced. Also Clay Magic.

There are good microfiber towels and some not so good. For instance, you can get like an 8 pack at Costco that are so-so for general work like window cleaning and interior wipe ups.

CLICK HERE for a premium source of quality microfiber and other detailing products. They are pricey but very informative. Sometimes they have good sales and package deals. I have that big blue waffel-weave drying towel and it is great.

Don't wash the microfiber towels with other clothes or towels as it will pick up the lint and hold it in the microfibers. Wash with a liguid detergent, not powder. You can put it in the washer. Add an ounce or two of vinegar to the rinse water to make them squeaky clean. Dry them separately in the dryer and DON'T use a fabric softener. Store them in their plastic bags between use so they don't pick up dust and other contaminants.

For general drying or polishing, you can also use made-in-America, 100% cotton, white terrycloth towels. Don't bother getting bath towels- they just drag on the ground. Get the medium sized ones. Easier to handle and cheaper to buy.

You're gonna love the "Leather In A Bottle". Mmmmmmm! Smells like a new leather cycle jacket. Use it right away. Our leather is thirsty for treatment.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:44 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I went to our local department store and bought Cannon Fieldcrest 100% Made in the USA towels. They don't feel very plush though. I know Zaino says to use the $10-$20 ones, but I couldn't find any. Will the $6 ones suffice for washing/buffing or will they scratch!?!?!?

Where else could I buy quality, plush towels?

JCPenny? Younkers? Wal-Mart? Shopko?

thanks,
carcar
Old 09-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Towels

I went to our local department store and bought Cannon Fieldcrest 100% Made in the USA towels. They don't feel very plush though. I know Zaino says to use the $10-$20 ones, but I couldn't find any. Will the $6 ones suffice for washing/buffing or will they scratch!?!?!?

Where else could I buy quality, plush towels?

JCPenny? Younkers? Wal-Mart? Shopko?

thanks,
carcar
Those are what I have. They are fine. Just watch out for the labels as they can be polyester and scratchy. If you take them off, make sure you get all of it.

These are for drying and buffing. The best thing to use for washing is a chenile or lamb's wool mitt and don't let it touch the ground. Keep dirt out of it. They also have microfiber mitts. They're good too.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:02 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks.......

I'm glad i don't have to go out and now spend $40 on towels alone!

Ok, so a microfiber wash mit it is!

carcar
Old 10-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Advanced

What's a good glaze or polish to use after claying and before Z5/Z2?
Old 10-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Senior Moderator

"Wax on; wax off"

Originally Posted by TheDude_RENAMED
What's a good glaze or polish to use after claying and before Z5/Z2?
If you are talking about a relatively new car without damaged paint, there is no need for a polish. That word "polish" is sometimes misused as is the word "wax". "Polish" usually connotes a product that has a mild abrasive that microscopically smoothes the clearcoat by very lightly "sanding" it. You have no doubt heard of "Polishing Compound". That comes in different grades but will actually remove some of the top surface of the paint to get rid of imperfections, polutants, oxidation, etc.

"Cleaners" are products that may contain a slight abrasive but also has chemical solvents to remove stains, polutants, foreign material.

Maguiars has a very good product called "Mirror Glaze 83", a dual-action cleaner/polish. Like all Maguiar's professional products, it has a thermometer-style rating on the label to tell you how much "cut" or abrasive quality it has. This one is a 6 on a 0-10 scale. This is recommended for a random orbital or rotary buffer in professional hands.

My point in saying this is to stress that these are strong, professional products that can damage your paint if not used the right way. They are also for old or damaged paint surfaces; not for new cars.

Detailing clay is very safe to use- even if you've never done it before - when you follow the instructions and keep it lubricated with the spray. It is much less abrasive and harsh than a cleaner-polish.

When you finish claying, and washing, the new car is ready for "sealing" the porous paint surface. They are all porous. The sealant can be a wax mixture or pure Carnauba wax (highly regarded) or it can be a polymer sealant like Zaino's Z2 and Z5. There are many other excellent products. In general, a wax will fill small swirl marks better than a polymer sealant. For a new or freshly polished surface, this is not a consideration. Waxes can be difficult and time consuming to apply and buff off. They last about a month.

Polymer sealants (Zaino, Maguiars NXT, etc) are easier to apply and to remove. They both fill the pores and small valleys of the surface and produce a great shine. Polymer sealants can last six months.

Zaino (and its like) are good for new cars because they contain no abrasives, are easy to apply, and last a long time. They leave a "wet look" that is hard to beat. Some people think that, on a dark color especially, Zaino can leave a "silvery" or mirror-like nature to the shine. I sometimes see that on my black TL but it doesn't bother me.

I've gone into way too much detail in answering your question. (Is that why they call it "detailing"? )

The short answer is that, on your new car, you don't need a polish and Z2 and Z5 are a glaze in my view. So nothing is needed between the after-clay wash/dry and the Zaino.

Others can chime in with their opinions.

XP
Old 10-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Advanced

No, great answer. But I do need a polish. My wife's 2002 Lexus IS300 Sportcross has some swirl marks and the last coat of Zaino did not take them out, just filled them. I'm thinking of using Meg #7, then Zaino Z5/Z2. Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Goodluck.

Originally Posted by TheDude_RENAMED
No, great answer. But I do need a polish. My wife's 2002 Lexus IS300 Sportcross has some swirl marks and the last coat of Zaino did not take them out, just filled them. I'm thinking of using Meg #7, then Zaino Z5/Z2. Thoughts?
I have used Meguiars Premium Paint Cleaner for this purpose with good success.

I don't have experience with Meg's #7 so I can't answer you on that one. However, if you go to www.autopia.org, a detailing board, you should be able to get all kinds of info on it.

XP
Old 10-12-2004, 10:53 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
~One mans opinion / observations~

That is a well thought out how-to, if I may I would like to add some things I’ve found useful as a long-term user of this product

a)Detailers Tips:
1. Apply this product using water-dampened applicator, then spray the applicator with Z6.
2. Apply Z-solution very thinly using absolute minimum pressure on the applicator.
3. Spray the vehicle surface very lightly with Z6 between each ‘layer’.
4. I cannot emphasise ‘apply products very sparingly’ enough. Ease of product removal is inversely proportional to the amount used (less product easier removal)
5. Use Z-5 + ZFX for dark colours Z-2 + ZFX for light colours.
6. Use Souverän Wax as a final product on red, black or Porsche Speed yellow it produces a deep wet shine or Pinnacle Signature Series Wax for metallic and for light coloured vehicle paint
7. The secret to the application of a polymer product is to apply it thin (super thin) fill a spray bottle and mist a foam pad for application.
8.If there are places were the wax is thick and you are having trouble buffing the residue, wash affected panel with a Z-7 wash solution.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 10-24-2004, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

Hi, newbie question here. Guidelines recommend only 2 coats per session. So if one waits till the following weekend, do I need to rewash and re-clay before applying another 2 coats? If so, do these coats "never" come off?
Old 10-24-2004, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Re-wash: Yes. Re-clay: No. Clay is used once or twice a year as needed for contaminated paint.

Zaino lasts about 6 months depending on weather/rain.

XP
Old 11-02-2004, 02:35 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Re-wash: Yes. Re-clay: No. Clay is used once or twice a year as needed for contaminated paint.

Zaino lasts about 6 months depending on weather/rain.

XP
Thanks for the pointers. I'm happy the results, although since my car was new, I can't tell if the claying helped. In any case, when I wash next time, do I use dawn or the Zaino stuff to rewash?
Old 11-02-2004, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

This is the day I wash my car!

Originally Posted by abox
Thanks for the pointers. I'm happy the results, although since my car was new, I can't tell if the claying helped. In any case, when I wash next time, do I use dawn or the Zaino stuff to rewash?
No. Don't use Dawn for routine washing. It is too strong. It strips whatever protection is on the car and is also harmful to the rubber and plastic parts over time.

Use the Zaino or any other good liquid car wash. (I think) Megiars even has solid strips that dissolve in water. I have those in my trunk for when I'm on the road away from home. I also carry a bucket, a lamb's whool mit, and a microfiber drying towel. I then use a DIY car wash booth. But I NEVER use their brush. That is just suicide. I just use the wand to spray the car off and fill the bucket with water. After I wash it by hand, I rinse it off with the wand. Then I dry it.

The car wash is not harsh and has no detergents in it. It just sudses up and lubricates your mitt to float the dirt off without scratching. Just keep it soaked and use light pressure..

I have a second mitt for around the bottom 10" of the car that I do last. That way, I don't risk picking up sharp pcs of dirt on the good mit that I use on the top of the car.

I just washed the TL and the Jeep and waxed the Jeep so the subject is timely.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:23 AM
Advanced

Well, I ordered the Zaino products about a week ago, and received them today.

Since our 05 TL is only a couple of weeks old, it got it's first bathes today, a claying, and two coats of the polish and gloss enhancer. What a lot of work! It took about 9 hours all in all, but I'm very happy with the results.

I also used their tire dressing product and it looks good so far. We'll see how it fares.

I'm surprised how big a difference the gloss enhancer makes. Admittedly, our TL is silver, so the polish only does so much good, but still just the feel is amazingly smoother after applying the gloss.

I can't say I could tell a difference between after the first coat and after the second coat, but hopefully it will do until spring. I did want to get some sort of protection on it before winter really sets in.

Thanks for pointing these products out. Our car looks better than the ones I've seen in showrooms around here at least.