Zaino, fact or fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Zaino, fact or fiction?

A nice write up introduced on another forum. Read and come to your own conclusion. I felt it worthy of sharing. To this day, I still havent tried it.........Its those thats claim the impossible, which I find less apt to experiment with.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:21 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Over the many years I've been involved with detailing, something like almost five decades, I've seen and heard of many claims for various products.Strip away the marketing hype and most produce very much the same result (put any product on a well prepared surface (90%+ perfect) and the end result will be an awesome looking finish.

Zaino is a great product IMO as it does mostly what it says it will (hiding swirl marks though, is the exception, although the latest offering do slightly better at this)

It is without doubt, the most durable polymer sealant currently available, so if this is one of your criteria for a sealant, you should try it.

I am a firm believer in using a product rather than listen to other on how good/bad/indifferent they find it ( strangely many detailer's who never use it will express an opinion on it)

My only advice would be, if you prefer the look, or need the durability of a sealant- try it you may like it. I've been using it for a long time, along with a Carnauba wax LSP as I feel it lacks depth on it's own (and will admit that this is highly subjective, I've also tried Z-8 as an LSP and it looks to me almost as good, but I digress)

Try it, let us know your thoughts, and if your so inclined, post some photos of your work...

Always keep an open mind, and I would also strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you
Old 03-09-2008, 08:21 AM
I can't find my garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I have read that link before and his methodology is flawed .. without the addition of ZFX he is applying the layes without proper cure time .. I don't know if that removes some of the previous layer or just reduces longivity.

The thing it does show, and I experienced it to , is Z5 is a money grab.

The other thing missing is what do they look like after day 30 and day 40 etc. I'll tell you from experience the Zaino unless abused by bad washing/drying and QD'ing practices will look as good day 60 as day 1.

I'm a user of Zaino .. ya got caught up in the hype BUT not all of it .

I bought the Z5 , Z2 , ZFX and the Z6 and once the ZFX and Z6 ran out I didn't replace them .

I bought Z1 just to use as a base for the spring polishout and major detail.

I found even tho I am in what I would call better detail shape than 90% of the average weekenders I found it was a killer to do 3 "good" layers in a day after the initial wash. Never mind 3 hours of polishing.

Do I still use it.. yes on MY car.
Would I use/Buy it again ... yes definatly .

My spring detail consists of polishing out 1 panel per day to perfection under 1000W Halogens followed by a reg flashlight then apply Z1/Z2.

The next day another panel etc etc.

Once all done I'll do another 2 or 3 Z2 over a period of a week.

I also add Klasse SG x 2 on top because it seems to tone the generic glassyness of Z1 down just a bit then I add Megs #16 for depth & wetness periodically throughout the summer.

As said by many before Zaino is a cult thing BUT more than any other sealant the surface has to be polished to perfect or wasting your time/money.

You can put 30 layers of Zaino on dog shit and all you get is shiny dogshit.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
I have used zaino of 4+ cars and believe that it works wonderfully.

On my TL, which is garaged usually 11 of the 12 months, and has to handle the harsh sun everyday, the Zaino has lasted me almost 1.5 years. The shine is still as good as the day I Put it on, and all I do is wash it once a month with z-7.

On my friends Monte-Carlo SS Pacecar edition, the Zaino has lated him about 8 months. The car stays outside every night, the car is black and stands in the sun all the time. By the time it was 7 months, the car looked almost as good as it did when first applied, there was protection, but no depth to the paint.

On my NEW mdx, I applied zaino, only 3 coats of Z-5 and it worked well. The bottles were about 1.5 years old, but it still gave it alot of protection. The paint shines all the time, even when caked with dirt, but it lacks the gloss that is expected from it.

Overall, I think that Zaino is an amazing product, but it should be sold in smaller bottles as it's shelf life will be over before you finish it. Also I think that a carnuba wax should be applied once a month to add a bit of depth to the paint.

For the 120 dollars spent on it, I think its worth it, but it should be sold for about 60 dollars in half the size packaging so it doesn't go to waste.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
My spring detail consists of polishing out 1 panel per day to perfection under 1000W Halogens followed by a reg flashlight then apply Z1/Z2.

The next day another panel etc etc.

Once all done I'll do another 2 or 3 Z2 over a period of a week.
so each day do you was your car everyday while in this process, also do you only clay bar the pannel you will be polishing that day.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by bo0sty
so each day do you was your car everyday while in this process, also do you only clay bar the pannel you will be polishing that day.

Yeep .. alot of cases I only wash the panel I an going to do if its the sides etc...
Old 03-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Racer

never thought of this method, thanks makes the job seem so much less overwhelming.

but i think it might look weird for awhile only having part of your car polished hahahhaha.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Pro

I've been using Zaino since October 2006. A real great product, but I'm also starting to use other brands to mix it up.