Zaino & Contamination Marks-HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 05:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino & Contamination Marks-HELP!!!

Hi Everyone - I have had my 2001 CL-S Aegean Blue since August and have 3 layers of Zaino (used all the appropriate levels of Zaino). Now that the weather is cold (here in the DC area) I haven't done anything for about a month but I notice spots that look like a contaminents that won't wash off. I don't park under trees but don't have a garage either. What is the story?? Doesn't Zaino protect from this stuff at least as well as reg. car wax??

Also, I emailed Zaino about a few spots back when I was doing the layers and he sent me clay bar to remove these but it didn't work. What am I doing wrong??

Any help much appreciated, Rustito (cold but no snow)!
Old 12-27-2001, 08:47 PM
fukkin newbie

Doesn't sound good man! The clay should remove every trace of Zaino, so maybe something happened to your clear coat prior to applying Z. Acid rain perhaps?
Old 12-27-2001, 09:15 PM
Advanced

How could the clear coat be damaged if it has had Zaino layers on it?
Old 12-28-2001, 12:09 PM
Racer

Two points.

1- after using zaino, due to its highly reflective properties, any paint defects will show up more - so I guess there is the chance they are under the zaino and in the clearcoat.

2- stuff can eat through zaino - bird crap, acid rain etc . . it can and does happen. It is not a permanent sealant in that sense.

regular claying will not remove your zaino. enthusiasticly going over one area will remove zaino.

zaino does protect from contamination at least as well as the best stuff out there . . . so, we need to figure out what may have caused the marks?

can you 'feel" them, if you run your finger across them?

try taking a piece of cling wrap, place around your hand and run across the spots . . . does it grab the plastic? of course, the car has to be clean for this test.
Old 12-28-2001, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Hi Homer-2, Thanks for the reply to my questions. The spots are totally smooth - can't feel them with my finger. When I did clay bar I did it very lightly with lots of lub. Nothing happened so I did a bit more but didn't seem to make a difference.

Also, I only notice the spots when I look at a certain angle - otherwise you wouldn't notice them.

I agree about figuring what made the spots. They appeared after the car was only about a month old. Could something have actually damaged the clear coat?? If so how would I know?

Shouldn't the Zaino protect from any "normal" airborne contaniments? I don't think it is sap because usually I don't park under trees but I guess occasionally I do maybe at work or visiting a friend. But how do you avoid that and if I did the Zaino should protect the car, right??

Also, the car is Aegean blue - could the color show these things more plus, as you said, the hi optical properties of Zaino?

I appreciate your help, Rustito
Old 12-29-2001, 09:03 AM
fukkin newbie

Rustito - in some areas the rain is quite acidic, and if the car sat on the dealer lot with rain beads on it that could damage the clear coat?
Old 12-29-2001, 03:32 PM
Racer

Rustito - the likelihood is that they were there before - they are just becoming more visible now due to the optical properties.

black, cool blue (aegean and arctic) are some of the colours that really benefit from the reflective enhancements of zaino.

if clay didnt work, and you cant feel them - it leads me to believe that they were indeed there before the zaino.

to restate - very little available today protects as well as zaino . dont worry that you are not getting contaminant protection . .

top of my head - i see two possibilities . .

one - get your hands on some very very mildly abrasive liquid polishing maerial - 3M and Meguiars make products to deal with surface imperfections . . . do a little more research perhaps on what may be the best solution for it . . . even try some other car care boards - one extremely active Zaino forum full of incredible advice is the one at www.edmunds.com There is a zaino forum in the town hall -

two- get some professional opinions and/or help from a detail shop. also get recomendations from people on one they have used - no surprises that way.

I am sorry - I cant give you a definite answer as to the best solution..... and I dont want to just guess at something here . . . i dont know it all yet - i'm still learning too.