Yet another Meguiars NXT Tech Wax review..

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yet another Meguiars NXT Tech Wax review..

Finally got around to trying it and let me be the first to tell you that it beats the hell out of the 3-Step Mothers Wax. This wax owns..well pictures speak louder than words so you be the judge.

This is just 1 layer of the NXT Tech Wax.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you just wash your car and then put the NXT on or did you put on a coat of something else on before the NXT? Was just wondering if you can put the NXT on after the wash. I heard someone say that the NXT isnt really a wax, just a question.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2003TLSnKc
Did you just wash your car and then put the NXT on or did you put on a coat of something else on before the NXT? Was just wondering if you can put the NXT on after the wash. I heard someone say that the NXT isnt really a wax, just a question.
Washed my car w/Dawn to get off the 3-Step Mothers Wax I used a couple weeks ago and then washed with Meguiars Gold Class Soap..then one layer of the NXT. Mothers has never given me the mirror look that NXT does..and since my car isn't a dark color, the mirror look is very hard to capture.

It also took out all the swirl marks on my hood. We'll have to see after a couple washes to see how well NXT works..
Old 05-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

NXT is more of a polish than a wax. It does do a grate job of bringing out the shine though. Traditional waxes don't have cleaners or polishes like NXT does.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:20 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I used the Meguair's NXT on my black TL-S last weekend. I have used Meguair's Gold Class, other Meguair's professional grade product and Zaino.

I would have to say the NXT has given me the best shine of anything I have used in the past and it is easy on and off. It is a polymer along the same lines as Zaino. Like I say, I have use Zaino and I think the NXT is better.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dj5
I used the Meguair's NXT on my black TL-S last weekend. I have used Meguair's Gold Class, other Meguair's professional grade product and Zaino.

I would have to say the NXT has given me the best shine of anything I have used in the past and it is easy on and off. It is a polymer along the same lines as Zaino. Like I say, I have use Zaino and I think the NXT is better.
My $30 bottle of Klasse ran out after 4 years of bimonthly use so I just bought some Meguiar's NXT. I haven't put it on yet but I hear it's just as good as Klasse. I also heard that it doesn't hold up to rain / bad weather as well as Klasse. Oh well, it was only $15 but looking at those pics, I know I won't be terribly disappointed however it turns out!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Cruisin'

nxt

Originally Posted by dj5

ditto....black TL-S here, used the same products....NXT completely surprised me....even filled in the few minor scratches/swirl marks.....now the only question is how long will it last?...we'll see..fingers are crossed...
Old 05-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
yea one of thes days now ill finnaly get around to putting the first ever coat of wax on my car.
looks good brian
Old 05-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Drifting

Cool

what do you mean fstty "one of these days" i've waxed my car 3 times this year. talk about slackers!!
Old 05-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by seattle dale
what do you mean fstty "one of these days" i've waxed my car 3 times this year. talk about slackers!!
ive never done it in the over 3 years ive owned it!
Old 05-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Drifting

:banghead: slacker!!!
Old 05-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

:banghead: slacker!!!
nah, just havent seen a need to. its not like the paint is going to fall off if you dont wax it. just keep er clean! (i have buffed it before with fine cut cleaner and polish) a coulple times but never waxed!. looks just as good. if i dont like the finish ever i repaint it! (i have repainted my hood 2 times now due to stone chips, soon to be 3 times)
Old 05-10-2004, 08:06 PM
iM 17 dOiN bIg tHiNgs

i used the wax too...

i used the wax on my 2000 laguna green non type-s and it looks bangin everyone notices the car alot more now so all i need now is some 20's lol
Old 05-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Banned

Cool

NXT Tech Wax+2 layers of NXT Spray Wax.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:03 AM
Racer

nice....
now lower ur car
Old 05-11-2004, 03:22 AM
Banned

Wheels+Springs will be on *very* soon.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:40 AM
3rd Gear

I used the NXT on both my cars over the past week and even people at work noticed the difference. Not so much on the TL but on the M3 (Phoenix Yellow). It was amazing and I love having the the mirror shine w/ least effort! Just hope it lasts.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Cruisin'

Meguiar's NXT is fantastic but not perfect:
+ incredible deep shine, like glass
+ easy to apply
+ looks great on all colored cars (but better on darker colors...like black)
+ cheap! cheap! cheap! (<$15)
+ better than Zaino with dust
- requires good prep work for a concours shine*
- can not be layered
- has mild cleansers so it probably shouldn't be used in sandwiching (it removes Zanio slightly)

* Because you can't layer NXT like Zaino you can't build a layer of polymer to cover spiderweb swirl marks. To combat this Meguiar's chemists went with a different vehicle for the wax (creamy vs. Zaino's clear liquid-like look when applied) and added mild solvents to make the product more of a one step product than a last step product. So, you have two options: 1) more grunt work removing all swirls prior to the final step of NXT 2) saying 'screw it' and let the one step magic wow you to a 95% level of swirl masking and 100% of the shine.

I have tried Zaino, Gold Class and the NXT. They all have +s and -s.

Here are some pictures of NXT'ed S2000. (not mine)

Old 05-20-2004, 01:14 PM
i

Originally Posted by ms2kj
+ easy to apply
- can not be layered
- has mild cleansers so it probably shouldn't be used in sandwiching (it removes Zanio slightly)

* Because you can't layer NXT like Zaino you can't build a layer of polymer to cover spiderweb swirl marks. To combat this Meguiar's chemists went with a different vehicle for the wax (creamy vs. Zaino's clear liquid-like look when applied) and added mild solvents to make the product more of a one step product than a last step product. So, you have two options: 1) more grunt work removing all swirls prior to the final step of NXT 2) saying 'screw it' and let the one step magic wow you to a 95% level of swirl masking and 100% of the shine.

I have tried Zaino, Gold Class and the NXT. They all have +s and -s.

When u say sandwiching, wut exactly do u mean?
Old 05-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moahdriven
When u say sandwiching, wut exactly do u mean?
NXT Wax can't be applied in layers like Zaino.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Racer

Looks great ill*tl.

I used NXT, but I think I did something wrong. My car is a 96 3.2 TL - Pearl White and full of swirls.

I put on a layer of TurtleWax (which was still good, water beading was excellent) about 18 days before applying NXT (I just had to try it).

I hand washed my car. Pulled it into the garage (no shade outside), dried it off with a shammy and let it cool for an hour. I had to let the garage close (started raining). When most of the car felt cool to the touch, (except some of the front hood) I used the foam applicator to apply NXT and let it sitover for about an hour. Then I used a clean terry cloth pad to remove it, and then another fresh one for a final wipe.

What could I have done wrong? The swirls don't seem any less evident...
Old 05-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vincent
Looks great ill*tl.

I used NXT, but I think I did something wrong. My car is a 96 3.2 TL - Pearl White and full of swirls.

I put on a layer of TurtleWax (which was still good, water beading was excellent) about 18 days before applying NXT (I just had to try it).

I hand washed my car. Pulled it into the garage (no shade outside), dried it off with a shammy and let it cool for an hour. I had to let the garage close (started raining). When most of the car felt cool to the touch, (except some of the front hood) I used the foam applicator to apply NXT and let it sitover for about an hour. Then I used a clean terry cloth pad to remove it, and then another fresh one for a final wipe.

Thanks.

Try following these directions..
1. Wash car.
2. Apply Meguiars Scratch X to body.

3. Put a layer of NXT Wax.
4. Put another coat of pure carnauba wax on.

..should take out most of the swirls. Also, 3M Swirl Remover also works very well.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

Looks great ill*tl.

Sounds like you need to use an actual fine cut polish to get out the swirl marks. White paint is the hardest to do that with because it is literally the hardest of all paints.

Here is a great article that goes through the process.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/autopia/inf-swirls.html
Old 05-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Exclamation OMG! I must be whacked!

I have 400 miles on my TL which spends most of its time in the garage as I drive my Jeep Wrangler every day or the BMW both of which were displaced by the TL. I have clay barred it once. I have waxed it fully (Zaino Z2) two separate times. I have QD'd it with Z6 about 3 times. I dust it with a Swiffer every morning. Even in the closed garage, it gets dust on it.

I spent two weeks remodling the garage and putting a 2-part epoxy floor down: gray with black, white, and blue flecks to match the colors of my TL. The walls are white and the 3 large peg boards are the same color blue as the flecks in my NBP TL.

Am I hopeless, Doc?

And who is that Dude who hasn't waxed his car in 3 years since he got it? :yack: Why is he on the detailing forum? Dude! Repent before it's too late!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dare_IL
Sounds like you need to use an actual fine cut polish to get out the swirl marks. White paint is the hardest to do that with because it is literally the hardest of all paints.

Here is a great article that goes through the process.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/autopia/inf-swirls.html
That, and ditch the Chamois !
Old 05-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Microfiber or micro swirl?

Originally Posted by exceldetail
That, and ditch the Chamois !
Why? And what would you use instead?

I don't like the chamois because it leaves those little tan hairs all over the surface. :banghead:

I prefer the good ole 100% white cotton terrycloth towel made in America.

I haven't gotten confidence in a microfiber waffel weave drying towel yet. I am concerned with it's 70% polyester, 30% polymide content. It sounds as if it could scratch and make swirl marks. Remember, I have a black TL (pia).

What say you about that?
Old 05-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Racer

*sigh*

My TL has just been taking (clear coat removing) punishment for the past few weeks! I don't know if I want to wash it with Dawn, dry it, polish it, and then NXT it. Oh well, maybe it's ok as I'm sure the previous owner didn't wax it.

Does the polishing process take the same amount of time as the waxing process? Also, is it ok to use a terry cloth applicator pad to put on the NXT? I really don't like using that tiny foam pad. And (my last question... for this post) how long do you guys leave the wax on to 'haze'? I know what it should look like, but sometimes it just feels like in some areas the wax hasn't dried.

If anything I think NXT has proven itself as a durable wax so far. I've already had to shammy dry my car twice due to rain and the water still beads. I actually didn't expect it to last this long.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Why? And what would you use instead?

I don't like the chamois because it leaves those little tan hairs all over the surface. :banghead:

I prefer the good ole 100% white cotton terrycloth towel made in America.

I haven't gotten confidence in a microfiber waffel weave drying towel yet. I am concerned with it's 70% polyester, 30% polymide content. It sounds as if it could scratch and make swirl marks. Remember, I have a black TL (pia).

What say you about that?
The Mf and waffle weave are more forgiving, in other words, if there is dirt trapped, it has a place to hide with the Waffle weaves and microfibers. This lowers the chances of any accidental scratches....There thick, soft, and very absorbant, theres a better mouse trap these days.....If it gets dirty, you chuck it in the washing machine....
Old 05-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

*sigh*

My TL has just been taking (clear coat removing) punishment for the past few weeks! I don't know if I want to wash it with Dawn, dry it, polish it, and then NXT it. Oh well, maybe it's ok as I'm sure the previous owner didn't wax it.

Does the polishing process take the same amount of time as the waxing process? Also, is it ok to use a terry cloth applicator pad to put on the NXT? I really don't like using that tiny foam pad. And (my last question... for this post) how long do you guys leave the wax on to 'haze'? I know what it should look like, but sometimes it just feels like in some areas the wax hasn't dried.

If anything I think NXT has proven itself as a durable wax so far. I've already had to shammy dry my car twice due to rain and the water still beads. I actually didn't expect it to last this long.
Vincent, polishing normally takes longer, this is where you wish to get the surface pristine, and there may be more than one step involved. Sealing/waxing is "simply on, simply off".....All you do is wait 1hr or for wax to haze, depending on your product of choice. If you dont wait long enough, youll know it, the wax will smear, same with sealants...Sealants should be left on for a minimal of 1 hr. NXT rec's 20 minutes, but again, this is all dependant on humidity and temp applied, and thickness applied......Clearcoats are relatively "thick" unless you use a hi speed polisher weekly, but anything you do by hand or random orbital even monthly shouldnt present you any problems...
Old 05-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Racer

Well, I got some of Meg.'s Scratch X polish.

I am going to wash my car this Friday (weather willing).

Now (if I have this right), I should apply the polish and then apply NXT?

Does the polish have to sit for a time period? I've never used a polish before, so I have no idea.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Banned

Do a segment of your car at a time..and just wait for the polish to dry to a haze before wiping. Give it 5-7 mins..since you're going to be applying a layer of NXT anyways, which takes some of the polish off when using NXT over it anyways.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Team SSM

Originally Posted by ms2kj
+ easy to apply
- can not be layered

According to Mike Phillips, it can be layered..... I clay, then two layers of NXT followed by a layer of #26. You can't beat the depth.. As far as NXT being a cleanser; there is very and I mean very little cleaning ability with NXT.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Instructor

I tried nxt for the first time today and I honestly believe wolfgang is a 10x better product.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:55 AM
Banned

.. so NXT can be layered?