Windsheild Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windsheild Scratches

In my Jeep, I ahve lots of little scratches all over the windsheild, all of them are small, I think from some of my offroading. Is there anyway to buff them out? I tried meguiars step 2 polish and rainx with no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks!
Old 06-19-2005, 06:40 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Polishing Glass:
Minor imperfections can be removed with an abrasive glass polish (Autoglym Car Class Polish) be aware the some imperfections cannot be removed and you may have to replace it. Some windscreen ‘glass’ is actually a plastic resin and will scratch easily, consult your dealer to find out what material was used for the OEM windshield.

Heat caused by abrasive polishing can soften and damage glass; foam pad and product used must minimize heat build-up. Since glass is a poor heat conductor any friction heat built up from polishing must be kept to a minimum by using sufficient product and regular misting of both the polishing pad and glass surface with water.
If you can catch your fingernail in the scratch 0.4 Mil (0 .004 –inch deep) you should consult a professional glass repair company.

Methodology:
•Clean glass to remove dirt, dust or road grime from surfaces (also see note 1)
•Apply clay (Magic Clay®) and lubricant solution (WooliteTM / Water 5:1) onto the glass surface (Do not apply to plastic as dulling may occur.)
•Apply a quarter (coin) size amount of Autoglym Car Glass Polish™ or Iz Einzette Glas Polish to a damp cutting / polishing foam pad (LC Orange or White) attached to a Porter Cable random orbital buffer set at speed # 4.
•Apply to half of the windshield, polishing first in an up and down motion then in a left-to-right motion and then repeat on the other side, proceed to other glass surfaces.
•Go over the glass several times in each direction, glass will polish virtually residue free.
•Wipe off any residue, and polish with a clean dry 100% cotton Micro fibre cloth.
•Inspect glass for clarity and smoothness. Repeat if necessary.
•If the glass has PPG Industries Optech clear coating a more aggressive polish may be required

Note: Do not use an abrasive polish on ‘Targa ‘glass’ tops as they are actually Lexan and an abrasive will remove the tint

Glass Polishing Kit for Deep Scratches:
Most glass polishers contain Cerium Oxide an optical polishing compound (belonging to the group of elements known as rare earth) all necessary precautions should be used with regard to the dust produced. Removes deep scratches from automotive glass and save the replacement costs. This abrasive system literally grinds away imperfections until scratches disappear, works best with a HS Rotary set at 1500-2000 RPM.
JonM