Will a claybar take off overspray?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 07:12 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Will a claybar take off overspray?

So we got the inside of the door repainted on our SHO and I noticed that some overspray has gotten onto the hood, I called the auto shop and they are not held responsible...you can literally see the line where they taped off the car, it goes from super-smooth to almost sand paper like texture...Will a claybar take off this overspray? It worked wonders on my fathers car but we didnt have to get rid of overspray...Will it work or wont it? If it wont, what possible solutions could I try?

Thanks guys
Old 10-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man, you had a SHO???? I'm a fellow ex-SHO owner as well. I've moved up to the TL. Helluva nice car and alot better built than the SHO, but there's still always a place for a SHO in the garage. I had a 93 white/tan ATX w/ white slicer wheels. After 10 months of ownership and $4000 in repairs (tranny, front axle, engine mounts, a/c hoses, routine tires/brakes) I was broke. E-mail me sometime. In response to your post, I think it will remove overspray, but you should know what you're doing if you're going to use it.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Boy Genius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay bar is not difficult to use - most important thing is to make sure you use lots of lube. As for its effectiveness in removing overspray, clay bar is the easiest alternative that I can think of and I would start with that. I've heard that it doesn't work sometimes though, in which case they moved up to wetsanding , where you really DO need to know what you're doing.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:31 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A quick search will fing a lot of info on claying. Yes, it should take the overspray off. It's very easy to do. You may just want to do the whole car. A few years ago I had part of my car repainted and had some overspray. The shop gave me some clay to try. I had never heard of it before. It worked great. Ended up doing the whole car and was very happy with the results.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:30 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
~One man’s opinion / observations~

The Japanese (who first used clay on automobiles) used it at car plants to remove paint overspray.
I would suggest Clay Magic ‘Red’ detailers clay, its made to remove paint overspray (use just like regular clay, plenty of lubrication and aquaplane over the paint surface)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 10-21-2004, 04:02 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks alot guys, If the weather is good I will clay the car on Sunday...as for the SHO, I love that car...Mine is a 93 White, Grey leather interior, Stock 6 CD Changer, White slicers, sunroof, MTX, hell of a car, lots of balls, lots of room...Heres the only pic i got right now...

Thanks again
Old 10-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude my SHO looked exactly like that but tan interior and ATX unfortunately. I miss the ol' car but the money I kept sinking into it I could have had a TL and now do. LOL If I can manage to find a 93 black/black MTX in mint condition for cheap, I would think about picking up though. Watch out as factory parts for those cars are becoming more difficult to find. As for the cosmetics that fail on that car such as the worn out leather seats and other stuff, OEM parts are no longer available. Enjoy the SHO and when it dies permanently, go up to a TL. I dumped my SHO at 148k and $4000 in maintenance in a 10 month period. I would recommend a Type-S when you upgrade.