Why use spray waxes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Why use spray waxes?

A lot of people wonder why one would even use a spray wax. The general consensus is that liquid waxes are less durable due to the refining or lack of quantity of "wax" (Nuba). Its true, I mean how could manufacturers actually take a paste wax, and put it in a usable liquid form, with any sustainability? Nubas alone are not known for longevity. Protection? Yes, but not the most longest lasting form of protection. Low melting point, debatable layering ability. Even under the best of conditions, you may get 8 weeks of 'lasting' protection.
But most of dont drive cars under ideal conditions, and thats why we're a little "off bubble" when it comes to car care. Our neighbors look at us like our wives or GF's boot us out of the house every weekend. We're out there washing, detailing, waxing. Just revelling in all our glory, admiring a couple few hours of attention to detail. We rub our fingers or back of our hands all over her, like some sort of foreplay. Little do they know, the foreplay actually comes hours after passionate TLC. Or do we really enjoy sore muscles, sweat, dirty hands and crud under our fingernails (sometimes for days) lol.
Ummmm yeah, we do....or there wouldnt be noobs in here every week, asking "how we did it, and whud we use...."
Our job in this forum is to convert those who havent, to those who have. How did I get so off topic....I need to get back with what I started.....Spray waxes.....and what good are they?
I say if over and over again, maintenance is key, in keeping a car looking grrrrrrreat. (I borrowed that from Tony himself)
We used to wash, dry, admire. Then came Quick Detailers.....So then it was wash, dry and QD, then admire. Then came Spray waxes. Again, wash dry, spray and wipe, and then wait for white spots to appear where the petroleum based spray wax got in cracks and crevices which we didnt see until it dried out. So...........wash, dry, take a toothpick or Qtip and spend the next hour, removing a little leftover love from the prior weekend.
What a welcome relief when the New Gen spray waxes hit the shelf and internet stores (Here comes the Exceldetail plug).
Hybrid Spray Waxes are here folks...They've been around for years...You get the best of both worlds. Carnauba protection, with Polymer durability and protection. Two of the products I recommend the most, of all I have tried, are Optimum's Spray Wax and Duragloss 951 AquaWax.
After a recent wash, I was due for my monthly Spray Wax session. This time I chose to dry first, as Im finding less and less time to actually care for my cars with business and family tugging from right and left, and above and below, I really deserved an undiluted dose.
I grabbed a new bottle of OSW off the shelf, and generously spayed a couple panels at a time, and wiped in, buffed off. One Rincon Red to wipe in, one Rincon Red to buff off. Its amazing how easy it is to use OSW, my entire full size truck was done in under 10 minutes, and the slickness is right up there with the best pure Polymer protectants I have used.
Duragloss 951 AquaWax is no stranger to protective products, just ask anyone who has used TPP 105. Duragloss again, is a hybrid spray wax, both Nuba and Polymers protecting your paint. Very slick feeling which seems to get even better the follwoing day.
So which one should I use? Kind of irrelevant actually. The point Im trying to make is you can't go wrong with either one. They are both very good, non time consuming products which offer substantial protection, and substantial slickness, to an already prepared surface. By no means should they replace a nice base coat of protection, but they should certainly be incorporated into your wash routine. At least monthly.
You can now wash, rinse, spray and dry, and have excellent protection sitting atop your base coat, for just pennies per panel. Then admire, and not wait for all those white areas to reappear.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure that alot of newbies will really appreciate your write up. I am currently using UQW, I know I know...but will soon be trying the Optimum line and Duragloss line.

I do not know if it just me, but when i'm spritzing the SW on the panels, that if any floats onto the glass I end up not seeing it till hours later when there are all these little dots visible from inside the front windshield, make sure you wipe all areas off when WOWO with these products, thats all I can recommend from experience.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normal glass cleaner works fine for taking window over spray off?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Racer

are you asking if it does? If so I would think so, but if you just buff the glass where it has sprayed onto, it comes off streak free, also leaving protection in that area. I have seen youtube videos of people showing examples of there car after using UQW, or any spray wax for that matter, used on windows, and works pretty amazing.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 AM
The Detailer

You can safely use DGAW and OSW on your windows as well.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Excellent. Very informative. I really need to put in an order.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Racer

and do not forget about your 10% off with Pat and his awesome products!!
Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Pro

So, how often would you recommend doing the Optimum Spray Wax, Pat? I could be wrong, but I believe on the bottle it says that it can offer up to 5 months of protection. Realistically, how long would you say this protection would last?

Also, would it be a total waste to use the spray wax after each car wash with ONR?

Thanks much!
Old 04-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Racer

I would try and remeber to give it a boost about once a month..the bottle would still last you a while if only using it on your vehicle. The UQW i'm using right now sprays out a very fine mist, and i'm only misting twice per panel, maybe three times on the hood.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Racer

when you "wipe" the spray wax off after the intial spray, are you just wiping across the surface once, like a quick detailer?
Old 04-30-2009, 02:59 PM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm I have the FSUSP but am running very low. I picked up some Eagle One NanoWax to keep in my trunk for the occasional bird shit... ended up using it one day after a wash and like it. Plus its available locally... although I just learned that Napa offers DG!
Old 04-30-2009, 03:26 PM
No room in

Originally Posted by bo0sty
when you "wipe" the spray wax off after the intial spray, are you just wiping across the surface once, like a quick detailer?

I highly recommend lightly buffing QD dry with a separate towel from what you use to wipe it on, or you could end up with a bunch of QD streaks. Buffing it out leaves a nice smooth shine.

I assume this is even more important for spray wax (buffing it out thoroughly), although I haven't used it and am not sure of the exact process.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Drifting

By hand buffing we're just talking about "wax on" "wax off" karate kid style buffing right?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JLTSX07
So, how often would you recommend doing the Optimum Spray Wax, Pat? I could be wrong, but I believe on the bottle it says that it can offer up to 5 months of protection. Realistically, how long would you say this protection would last?

Also, would it be a total waste to use the spray wax after each car wash with ONR?

Thanks much!
I really feel like theres never too much protection? I recommend a once monthly application of OSW. I know the bottle states 5 months of durability, but I have never tested that theory. For me personally, I always like the surface feeling slick, or Im just not content.
I also give an edge here to the Optimum Spray Wax in looks and slickness.........Although DG AW is good, I just think the OSW is "better".....
Old 04-30-2009, 04:51 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for the writeup Patrick. Optimum Spray Wax is my current favorite. This stuff is very durable and the slickness is off the chart.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Stephen, Im glad you find the Optimum SW a worthy product. Your product selections are very discriminating, so its great to hear you approve.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:04 PM
WIP-Work in Progress

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Patrick- Can you recommmend a good OTC spray and wax? I'm currently have Mother's FX spray and wax and Meguiars Quick Wax.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 03tlCHARCOL
Patrick- Can you recommmend a good OTC spray and wax? I'm currently have Mother's FX spray and wax and Meguiars Quick Wax.

if you don't mind my opinion, if it is strictly OTC, Duragloss SW would be top, then Megs UQW a very close second.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I would agree with the DG 951 AquaWax.....
Old 05-01-2009, 03:48 PM
WIP-Work in Progress

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The OSW seems to be a little slicker than the DGW (Have both), but the DGW smells a lot better

Anyways, It's raining here in the city right now, I'm parked right in front of the office, and I was just on the phone out front, admiring the water beads on my car, and just watching the water slide off the verticle panels. Shit is awesome. Slipppppery!!! Oh - and the car right next to mine has like water puddles on his hood. LSP-less y0!

Oh, and I spray wax after every wash... so 2-3 times a month
Old 05-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wong05tsx
The OSW seems to be a little slicker than the DGW (Have both), but the DGW smells a lot better

Anyways, It's raining here in the city right now, I'm parked right in front of the office, and I was just on the phone out front, admiring the water beads on my car, and just watching the water slide off the verticle panels. Shit is awesome. Slipppppery!!! Oh - and the car right next to mine has like water puddles on his hood. LSP-less y0!

Oh, and I spray wax after every wash... so 2-3 times a month
hahaha! Yeah baby!!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Pat, what about the 4 Star USP? Is that just as good as the OSW or DG?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Former Sponsor

You mean the FS USW ?
The FS Spray wax of today is nothing like the Ult Spray Protectant they used to have.....Dang I miss that stuff.....
Its good, but its not like OSW. Closer to AW then OSW......
Old 05-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Instructor

Damn Pat that sucks. I just ordered a new bottle of the FS USW about 3 weeks ago, haven't used it yet. If I knew the OSW was better, I would have bought that. Can I exchange?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:15 AM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by roushracin
Damn Pat that sucks. I just ordered a new bottle of the FS USW about 3 weeks ago, haven't used it yet. If I knew the OSW was better, I would have bought that. Can I exchange?
It's probably not bad stuff but OSW may be better.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by roushracin
As long as it hasnt been used, ship it back and i will ship you out an OSW!
Old 05-02-2009, 04:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by jmkiang
Hmm I have the FSUSP but am running very low. I picked up some Eagle One NanoWax to keep in my trunk for the occasional bird shit... ended up using it one day after a wash and like it. Plus its available locally... although I just learned that Napa offers DG!
Serious Napa has it I may need to go look 2morrow

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Great customer service right there thats what I like...

I need to stop delaying and order my sis wants me to do her car on a weekly basis so this might turn out good for me start my own little detail business FTW
Old 05-02-2009, 09:52 AM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by 03TL_typeS
Serious Napa has it I may need to go look 2morrow

Great customer service right there thats what I like...

I need to stop delaying and order my sis wants me to do her car on a weekly basis so this might turn out good for me start my own little detail business FTW
That's awesome Kev!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:46 PM
10th Gear

Alternatives

I started to order the ocw but didn't want to pay that much for shipping ($9 for a 17 oz bottle). Summit Racing (which is local) has spray wax by Mother's, Maguire, Flitz, and System One - are any of these comparable?
Old 05-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
are spray waxes the same as this stuff:

Old 05-02-2009, 04:27 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Since I have OCD, OSW should be called OCW.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:35 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
are spray waxes the same as this stuff:

It is similar. I am not buying into the "wax-as-u-dry" program unless you are only using this product to just help dry. If you are actually trying to lay down a layer of real protection then why dilute the product? I would just dry the car and then use the spray wax afterwards for maximum durability.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dirtbeard
I started to order the ocw but didn't want to pay that much for shipping ($9 for a 17 oz bottle). Summit Racing (which is local) has spray wax by Mother's, Maguire, Flitz, and System One - are any of these comparable?
Location?
If they were comparable, I'd be selling them......Point being, use something, even if its Megs' Moms, Flitz or S1......use something.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:42 PM
The Detailer

Honestly, I'd have to say no... otherwise, I'd be using them.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:53 PM
10th Gear

I guess that's a fair answer since I asked about a competitors products.

I'll just have to ponder $24 for 17oz.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:55 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Nice write up...for some reason I missed it.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Former Sponsor

I guess that's a fair answer since I asked about a competitors products.

I'll just have to ponder $24 for 17oz.
Maybe you should look into the Optimum Maintenance kit, which includes the IDGE and Spray wax, with Elite MF's for that same $8.99 S/H?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:52 PM
10th Gear

Maybe you should look into the Optimum Maintenance kit, which includes the IDGE and Spray wax, with Elite MF's for that same $8.99 S/H?
I'll check it out - thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:01 PM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got some DGAW after reading this. Sweet.