When to polish?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007 | 10:15 PM
Instructor

When to polish?

I own a silver '03 TL-S that I bought used late last fall. The car is in overall very good condition, but the paint needs brought back to life. I did inventory today and I am out of almost everything, so I am about to place my annual Meguiar's order, but was wondering about polishing.

My last few cars have all been bought new and kept up pretty well. Since I bought this one used I am not exactly sure how to proceed. I like the NXT Gen line of products and figured I would start with the wash, use their clay bar and Scratch-X on some light scratches and then wax with NXT Gen Tech wax.

This is a DD, not a show car of any kind, so I try to do a deep clean up and wax in the spring and fall, with regular washing and spot detailing as needed. The car is garaged every night and parked under a over hang at work most days (so not in direct light), but sees plenty of road miles almost every wee.

I went to a full service wash last week and afterwards I noticed the particulates in the paint, so I know I need the clay bar and can see the scratches so I know they need work also. What I am wondering about is if I clay the entire car and use the Scratch-X will I need to polish before waxing? If so what polish would I use and how would I apply it? I have never polished a car before so any explanation would be helpful.

Thanks, Giff
Old 04-08-2007 | 08:23 AM
Bagel Bomber

polish before wax.

If you are using Scratch X i'm sure you can apply it by hand (gonna hurt when your done). The tube will have instructions on application printed on the back.
Old 04-08-2007 | 08:28 AM
Bagel Bomber

http://www.meguiars.com/tips/article...selected_ID=11

for what its worth.
Old 04-08-2007 | 11:57 AM
Racer

You're right in that you will need to clay and polish to get your paint to sparkle. Surface preparation is the key to an awesome shine. I would not, however, recommend polishing by hand (unless you're in great shape) as it will take all day and your arms will fall off by the time you're done. I polish about once a year using this: http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=47

It's an investment of money but worth it IMHO. Personally, I use the Sonus line of polishes but there are many other good polishes out there.
Old 04-08-2007 | 07:29 PM
Instructor

I have absolutely no desire to go for show quality paint, I just like my car nice and smooth and looking above average. I guess what I am asking is if I use a clay bar and scratch remover will I NEED to polish before I wax? Meaning will the clay or scratch remover leave leave even finer scratches that will need to be polished out?

Sorry, my first post was kind of vague.

Thanks, Giff
Old 04-08-2007 | 07:32 PM
Bagel Bomber

scratch removing and polishing are usually the same thing.

hand polishing is going to be a world of pain but it will pay off in the end.

Wash
Clay
Polish
Wax/seal
Old 04-08-2007 | 09:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mach30SiR
scratch removing and polishing are usually the same thing.

hand polishing is going to be a world of pain but it will pay off in the end.

Wash
Clay
Polish
Wax/seal
So using Megs Scratch X would be the same as using as using a polish, I guess it is using a polish if I am understanding correctly?

So if I clay the whole car, then use the Scratch X where needed I should be in pretty good shape to go ahead and wax?

Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2007 | 12:45 AM
Former Sponsor

ScratchX is a polish. However, using it by hand, requires manually breaking down the abrasives. It can be done, and your best policy of action would be to take your time and do one panel at a time, then seal it. If you still have the energy, do another panel, and seal. i wouldnt recommend only doing whats deemed necessary, as you will have one area brighter looking then the rest.
So, take your time, and do it properly. I use to polish all of my details by hand several years ago.
Clay can cause additional marring, that depends on your process. But following up with a polish usually resolves this.
Old 04-09-2007 | 06:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yakuza70
You're right in that you will need to clay and polish to get your paint to sparkle. Surface preparation is the key to an awesome shine. I would not, however, recommend polishing by hand (unless you're in great shape) as it will take all day and your arms will fall off by the time you're done. I polish about once a year using this: http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=47

It's an investment of money but worth it IMHO. Personally, I use the Sonus line of polishes but there are many other good polishes out there.
What a fricking awesome write up that is!

What would you guys call the starter kit? I have some light scratches, but dont think I have any swirls or oxidation. If I bought the PC, what pads would I get to go with it to apply and remove polish and to apply and remove wax. What polish would you recommend to get started with also? Have any of you used Megs NXT Gen wax with a PC?

Thanks for the help!

Giff
Old 04-09-2007 | 08:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by giff74
What would you guys call the starter kit? I have some light scratches, but dont think I have any swirls or oxidation.
If you have light scratches, chances are you have swirls and chances are greater if taken to a car wash. As far as a starter kit - I haven't checked recently, but most of the online detailing sites have em. There are several options; 1) You can get the whole package (PC, Pads, Product) 2) You can purchase a pad package and get PC from a different source or 3) Purchase separately. You may wanna do some research and determine if the available packages meet your need.
If I bought the PC, what pads would I get to go with it to apply and remove polish and to apply and remove wax. What polish would you recommend to get started with also?
Hard to determine without seeing your car. Probably a light cut pad, light polishing pad, and a finishing pad. For polishes, there are numerous ones out there and everyone has their favorite. I favor the Optimum line, Four Star Body Shop and Poorboys SSR line.
Have any of you used Megs NXT Gen wax with a PC?
I haven't used Next Gen for awhile. As stated previously, surface prep is important regardless of what LSP you're using. As long as you're satisfied with the result of a particular product, continue to use it.