When to condition New Car Leather

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to condition New Car Leather

Hey Guys,

Is it better to condition the leather on a new tsx right away, or wait awile to let it stretch out for a few months first?
Old 11-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt it comes with any conditioning from the factory. So I say condition away. Many products have sun protection (like Zaino's Z10, which is what I use), which is a big plus.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:32 PM
who's right, who's wrong?

Be careful when conditioning, however. I conditioned my leather seats in my Jetta, and because they could no longer breathe the way leather is meant to, you would always feel hot and sweaty sitting in them.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by jaydub
Be careful when conditioning, however. I conditioned my leather seats in my Jetta, and because they could no longer breathe the way leather is meant to, you would always feel hot and sweaty sitting in them.
Hmmm, havent ran into this. The Zaino stuff makes it smooth, not slippery or oily. Im sure there are different levels of products out there. Just make sure you get a high quality conditioner.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:40 PM
who's right, who's wrong?

Originally Posted by joerockt
Hmmm, havent ran into this. The Zaino stuff makes it smooth, not slippery or oily. Im sure there are different levels of products out there. Just make sure you get a high quality conditioner.
I used Lexol after it was suggested to me by a fellow VW enthusiast, and I followed the instructions to a tee. I would say that the biggest thing is to not use more product than you really need. I would absolutely condition, but you're absolutely right in suggesting that he use a high quality conditioner. I have heard that Porsche sells something which is outstanding (and undoubtedly is another product with a Porsche label).
Old 12-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by triton
Hey Guys,

Is it better to condition the leather on a new tsx right away, or wait awile to let it stretch out for a few months first?

Allow me to share some information I learned from an upholsterer that works on leather seats for BMW, Mecedes-Benz and Audis.

New car leather has fresh tanning oils that came with the skin when they first made the seats. These skins have been saturated with these oils to keep the suppleness and texture of the leather. The neat smell also comes from these oils.

New leather does not need to be conditioned right away as you need to "break" the leather in and let it stretch and conform naturally. Depending on the climate that you are in, the natural and man-made oils wear off and/or dries off due to sun exposure and the interior temperature that the car heats up to as well as the relative humidity. Like our skin, leather will dry up after losing natural moisturizers and will begin to crack.

After a few months, the leather will look drab. It's because the oils have worn off or dried up and conditioning is required. Cleaning is not always necessary unless there are spots that have stains, but conditioning with oils/ lotion may be necessary. It is also possible to over-condition the leather resulting in the seats looking like vinyl and has a sheen (not good).

When conditioning, remember NOT to treat leather like the vinyl parts of the car (door mouldings, dashboard) leather will soak up the conditioner (and any other liquid) applied on it's surface. Do not put too much product as there would be a point of diminishing return as well. The leather can only hold so much oils and conditioner, then the rest would just remain on the surface and eventually be rubbed off on clothing. You will begin to "slip and slide" around your seat.

Car leather is very much like a leather sofa at home, so the care will be identical. Apply the product sparingly, let it soak into the skin (The longer you let the product soak-in before buffing, the better results you will get.) Then buff with a clean terry cloth towel. I use a newly washed, white terry towel that has never been bleached. (this also helps me determine if which area had too much product).
If you have a soft hair brush (like a BIG shoe brush), this is the best to use as the leather will end up with that natural sheen and evenly distribute the product at the same time, and also clean it off from the cracks, crevices and wrinkles that the terry towel can't reach. Buff it like you would do to your shoe, but never use the same brush for the leather and the car as the shoe polish dyes will end up on your seat.

Be careful NOT to apply conditioner on a hot surface. The leather pores will soak up the product too fast and some parts will end up "blotched" (looks wetter than other spots).

The idea is to bring back the look and feel as it was like new. Let the leather age naturally and it will show a neat "personality". Remember, if properly cared for, your leather seats will look better as it gets older.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suprised that nobody has mentioned Pinnacle leather conditioner yet.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:50 AM
Racer

303 protectant is also good stuff
Old 12-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by darth62
I suprised that nobody has mentioned Pinnacle leather conditioner yet.
DIE!
Old 12-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Has anybody used Meguiars Gold Class leather clean/conditing wipes? I almost bought them but wasn't sure if this would really be the best thing.