what to use on the tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 01:05 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to use on the tires

what's a good, long lasting, wet looking, tire stuff??

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder, PIAA-19169, 3 coats Zaino and a pinch of salt

No Navi cause no matter where I go, there I am
Old 03-25-2001, 04:59 AM
Advanced

Hmmm...I've used a bunch of different items and none really seem to last very long due to sunlight, water, wheel heat and road dirt. I have gone back to the basics: I scrub the tires with some Formula 409 and a soft plastic scrub brush, rinse, then liberally apply Armor-All and let it sit, being careful to wipe the overspray off the wheels. It's good for about a week and a half, two if you're lucky.

------------------
2001 CL Type S, Nighthawk Black, Parchment Interior, Non-Nav, Rear Wing, Tint
Old 03-25-2001, 05:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For that real shiny look use:

"BLACK AGAIN EXTERIOR TREATMENT" it is very hard to find. But it is great stuff.

See the following thread on the 303 stuff. It is the best stuff I've seen. It is on my wife's car and protects and lasts. You will want to have a look at the link on why you shouldn't use Armor-All.

http://www.acura-cl.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000028.html#3

Here is the 303 link (you want the 303 for rubber):

www.303-products.com

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition rims (~48lbs lighter)
  • (pre-SSR wheels time) --Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 03-25-2001).]
Old 03-25-2001, 05:52 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Green Hornet:
Hmmm...I've used a bunch of different items and none really seem to last very long due to sunlight, water, wheel heat and road dirt. I have gone back to the basics: I scrub the tires with some Formula 409 and a soft plastic scrub brush, rinse, then liberally apply Armor-All and let it sit, being careful to wipe the overspray off the wheels. It's good for about a week and a half, two if you're lucky.

</font>
Armor All: (used that 15 years ago -- rubber except for water hoses that we soaked all rotted). UV protection stinks.
I like the Zaino Tire and Rubber care, but I like a satin finish. I don't like that real black shinny look. There is stuff they will do that, but it isn't my style.

The 303 products are excellent too. Excellent UV protection and shine.

The 303 on my wife's car is still there after about 2 months.

My Zaino Rubber protectant is still on my tires after 1 month. I just did a car wash, so I'm just now deciding if I should put some more on just for extra protection.

Sorry -- Armor-All = YUCK

BTW -- 409 -- maybe, for tile or floors, (I do still have some), but if I ever found anyone putting that stuff on my tires, I'd send 'em packing

(you, get to do what ever you want to your car)

------------------
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition rims (~48lbs lighter)
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-25-2001, 06:58 AM
Pro

mequires stuff that smells like bubble gum and last weeks in the s.c. sun and weekly rain storms

------------------
2001 acura cl type-s
comming soon
2000 accord v6 sedan
1997 4runner
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850
"Tell me kid, have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light"
Old 03-25-2001, 02:15 PM
TSX Bronco

I use Meguiar's Endurance and it works great. It's a gel so it doesn't go all over your rims like those sprays do.

------------------
2001 Silver CL Type-S
No mods yet
Old 03-25-2001, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Thanks. Just picked up some Meguiar's Endurance. Its a nice grape smell, went on easy. I'll let you know how it lasts!

Would this also be good for the rubber door and sunroof seals?

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder, PIAA-19169, 3 coats Zaino and a pinch of salt

No Navi cause no matter where I go, there I am

[This message has been edited by Athena_CL_TypeS (edited 03-25-2001).]
Old 03-25-2001, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Where can I order the 303 product?

------------------
01 3.2 CLS Non-Navi
San Marino Red
Tinted 35% all the way
Winter Rubber mats
Piaa High Beam lights (Not worth it)
Old 03-25-2001, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MNCLS:
Where can I order the 303 product?

</font>

Here is the link to Classic Motoring Accessories; they are an on-line vendor that sells the 303 products. Check out the following link:

http://properautocare.com/

Here is their phone number:

800-628-7596

------------------
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-26-2001, 01:05 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

I use the Meguires stuff that comes with the nifty tire-conforming sponge. It does not sling all over my wheels and panels the first time I drive either. You can use it on any of your trim, but you'll need something besides that sponge they send you. I use the corner of a rag on the small areas.

------------------
01 CL-S San Marino Red/Black, K&N drop in, no nav, rear wing, otherwise stock thus far, has an appetite for Bavarian cars.
Old 03-26-2001, 02:04 PM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Armor All: (used that 15 years ago -- rubber except for water hoses that we soaked all rotted). Sorry -- Armor-All = YUCK

BTW -- 409 -- maybe, for tile or floors, (I do still have some), but if I ever found anyone putting that stuff on my tires, I'd send 'em packing

(you, get to do what ever you want to your car)

</font>
Well, 25 years, 15 or so cars using Armor All and 409 as a tire cleaner only. Never a cracked dash or hose, never any problems with it at all and most people I meet up with seem to think my cars look pretty decent. No shame in sticking with what I know works well.

I think I'll use the extra money that Sal Zaino wants to charge for his products and go take my wife for a nice dinner. I get pretty good results from doing that!

------------------
Old 03-26-2001, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Well, 25 years, 15 or so cars using Armor All and 409 as a tire cleaner only. Never a cracked dash or hose, never any problems with it at all and most people I meet up with seem to think my cars look pretty decent. No shame in sticking with what I know works well.

I think I'll use the extra money that Sal Zaino wants to charge for his products and go take my wife for a nice dinner. I get pretty good results from doing that!
</font>
If your happy with your products, it is your stuff, so you should enjoy your products and your car. After all, your the final judge of what you like or don't like.

I am curious:

Regading the "25 years, 15 or so using Armor All..", did you own more that 1 car at a time or did you trade in a car after a short period of time.

I too used the Armor All on my BMW 2002ti -- and I really loved that car and kept it for 20 years. I had 3 different engines in the car, and I soaked the water hoses in #2 and #3, and they really lasted.

On the other hand, the dash and rubber gasketing for the doors, side-vent, hood, and other places all got regular treatment of Armor All (I slathered it on all the time). I was very depressed to see 90% of the rubber seals rot and the dash crack apart.

(In all fairness, they didn't make the newer products back then, so I couldn't exactly do a side-by-side test...)

(... So, I wonder -- and yes enjoy your choices.)

BTW -- if you happen to run out of your supplies, and enjoy an occasional change, Sal Zaino really does make great stuff.

------------------
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-26-2001, 09:53 PM
Advanced

Well, I'm almost 41, and have been driving since I was 16. I've just gone through a LOT of cars (which really pissed off my folks) Some brand new, some used, depending upon what I wanted or could afford. I also bought a few muscle cars specifially to restore and sell for profit. But they were always in good shape. Never had two cars at a time though. And regarding Zaino products, I'm sure he makes a quality product, and I'd be inclined to try them sometime...BUT...I have gallons of Meguair's products so it may be awhile!

In all honesty (and I told this to the Acura "Customer Care Representative" as well), the CL is the first car that I've ever had where I like it just as it is, and I'm not compiling some sort of laundry list of extras to buy (that includes my Vettes!).

BTW...I am a native Angelino. Grew up near Farmer's Market on 3rd & Fairfax

------------------
Old 03-27-2001, 02:42 PM
Old Member

meguire does last longer but I found it not as shiny as the sprays. I am now using the sprays and soaking the meguire sponge and then apply it on the wheel. the spray i am using is Good Year. It doesn't last long but gives a good shine.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:20 PM
Mr. Lover-Lover

I use TurtleWax "Tire Wax"...it is a cream that you apply with a sponge. Doesnt spray on the car when you drive...dont have to wait for it to dry to drive. It usually lasts over a week and it gives a good shine...but not too shiny. Just right if you ask me...makes the tire look brand new.

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
All Stock
Real Fast
Blackwood Dask Kit
Old 04-25-2001, 03:17 PM
Instructor

I've been using Armorall Extreme Tire Shine Spray. Its quick and easy to use (no rubbing) and it seems to last a good week or so (with no rain).

I like its sweet smell too. but thats just me...

------------------
'99 2.3CL 5-spd, Black.
Spoiler, Pilot Fogs, Wheel Locks, Mudguards, CD & Cass, CoPilot Digital Compass, Michelin Pilot Tires, and an Audiovox Pursuit Ignition Disabler.