What towels?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2001, 01:18 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
What towels?!?

Well... the winter killed my towel supply.

Im down to 1 towel.

What do you guys recommend as replacements that dont cost a small fortune.

The towels I had were like the best Cannon's I could find at Bed Bath & Beyond... but they were like $20 each.

What & where do you suggest I pick up my supply for the summer?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 04-04-2001, 12:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here you go: http://www.corvetteforum.com/ubb/For...ML/002638.html

And the outlet URL from that thread:

http://www.cannonoutlet.com/charbattowwh.html

I find that the detailing forums on corvetteforum and LS1.com pretty well have the towel market nailed! Do some surfing on there and you might find even a better deal. $10.00 each ain't bad though, IMHO. They're "irregulars" but who cares for car towels?

------------------
when you're ready to succeed!

[This message has been edited by volsfan0911 (edited 04-03-2001).]
Old 04-04-2001, 02:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the Fieldcrest "Supima" bath size towels from Bed Bath & Beyond, but they were pricey ($29.99 each).

They were so soft, that I thought we should have some too.

I don't know if you are using the Zaino, but these Fieldcrest ones seem to work very well.

The price seemed to impact the quality/softness of the white towels.

Sorry, a bit off-topic, but I did notice the difference in the quality of the "job" with the quality of the towels (Zaino).

volsfan0911:

Is there a super discount place for the "Fieldcrest Supimas?" I checked out your link, but they didn't carry the "Supimas."

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 04-04-2001).]
Old 04-04-2001, 03:01 AM
Pro

this is the guy who supplies towels to the ls1 forum, when i red everyone going crazy over his towels i sent him this

Hey kevin,
My name is Brandon i am the moderator of the deatiling forum on
http://www.acura-cl.com/index.html . I was wondering if you would be willing
to offer your towles on our site? i know that i i will be one of the first
customers.

and this was his response

Sure, feel free to pass on my email if you wish. Below is my write up about my towels.

I have two kinds of towels, both white color only, edges removed and re sewn on a special machine called a serger with all cotton thread to prevent ravel. I have Fieldcrest Royal Velvet and Fieldcrest Charisma, the Royal Velvets are great but the Charismas are heavier.

My standard towels come in a pack of 2 sized 20 inches by 28 inches approx., one pack of Royal Velvet is 15.00 and one pack of Charismas are 18.00.

If I know how many you want I can give you an order total with shipping.

I take credit cards online with http://www.paypal.com/ or people mail me checks. If you want to order online with a credit card, let me know as I have to send you a funds request from my payment service

Thanks
Kevin Overall
PLEASE NOTE:MY NEW EMAIL IS koverall@cddn.com
*****Authorized Zaino ShowCar Polish Distributor*****

sorry i forgot to post this untill i read this thread

------------------
2001 acura cl type-s
comming soon
2000 accord v6 sedan
1997 4runner
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850
"Tell me kid, have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light"
Old 04-04-2001, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Eric - not sure about the Supimas. Search around on corvetteforum and see if anyone there knows. I've still got some old aardvark towels (similiar to what Kevin's doing) left over from Karl. In fact, Kevin may have taken over Karl's business - but I digress

------------------
when you're ready to succeed!
Old 04-04-2001, 01:49 PM
Advanced

For drying the car, I have used a product that I am very pleased with. It's called "the Absorber". It is a synthetic towel designed to get the water off your vehicle. It leaves no lint (has no fibers like towels or a chamois), wrings out easily and can be stored damp. When wet it acts just like a squeegee and does a nice job. You can pick it up at Wal-Mart for about $8.

As far as waxing I'd stick to the cotton towels. But don't lose your mind about brand names. Spending 20 bucks for a Cannon or Fieldcrest towel for a CAR? Come on. That's silly. As long as you have a nice cotton towel with no border stitching, it should be just fine.

------------------
2001 CL Type S, Nighthawk Black, Parchment Interior, Non-Nav, Rear Wing, Tint
Old 04-05-2001, 02:27 AM
Advanced

For info,
Fieldcrest towels are always on sale at Mervyns department store (if there is one in your area). You might also try their website. Large Fieldcrest 100% USA cotton bath towel $8.99. Yes towels are towels but if they are made in Pakistan and say 100% cotton, they are not. They have other materials mixed in. These are the towels most car stores sell. These will scratch your car, and the darker color vehicles will show the towel scratches.
Just a heads up.
Old 04-16-2001, 11:07 AM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bladerunner:
For info,
Fieldcrest towels are always on sale at Mervyns department store (if there is one in your area). You might also try their website. Large Fieldcrest 100% USA cotton bath towel $8.99. Yes towels are towels but if they are made in Pakistan and say 100% cotton, they are not. They have other materials mixed in. These are the towels most car stores sell. These will scratch your car, and the darker color vehicles will show the towel scratches.
Just a heads up.
</font>
Well... even "most" Cannon/Fieldcrest towels arent 100% cotten. They have polyester in there somewhere.

Most of the lower grade (non 5-star hotel quality ) towels that they make will definately scratch your car.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 04-17-2001, 08:32 PM
Suzuka Master

My wife just went by Bloomingdale's and got 6 Cannon/Fieldcrest towels ("Supimas") all cotton, white, bath sheets for $10.00 EACH!!!!!

These are the Top-of-the line bath sheets, but had some irregular stitching on the margins. I paid $30.00 each at Bed Bath Way Beyond for these same towels.

So, some smart shopping comes to mind.

BTW -- these are softer than our own towels.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-17-2001, 11:20 PM
Instructor

I too have used "the absorber" for drying my previous cars and also for my CL-S. It does fine job!
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Green Hornet:
For drying the car, I have used a product that I am very pleased with. It's called "the Absorber". It is a synthetic towel designed to get the water off your vehicle. It leaves no lint (has no fibers like towels or a chamois), wrings out easily and can be stored damp. When wet it acts just like a squeegee and does a nice job. You can pick it up at Wal-Mart for about $8.

As far as waxing I'd stick to the cotton towels. But don't lose your mind about brand names. Spending 20 bucks for a Cannon or Fieldcrest towel for a CAR? Come on. That's silly. As long as you have a nice cotton towel with no border stitching, it should be just fine.

</font>
------------------
2001 3.2CL-Type S, No Navig., Satin Silver, Spoiler, mudguards

[This message has been edited by rsuzara (edited 04-17-2001).]
Old 04-28-2001, 10:38 AM
Instructor

I found some at Wal-Mart. They were like $5 for 2 of them. Kind of flouresent green and blue. They are the softest towels that I have seen. Oh yea, and they were made in the US, so they are not this cheap Pakistanian shit.

------------------
White/Parchment CLS Spoiler,35% Tint, Gold emblems,Mudflaps,Moonroof Visor
Old 04-28-2001, 09:06 PM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chizad1980:
I found some at Wal-Mart. They were like $5 for 2 of them. Kind of flouresent green and blue. They are the softest towels that I have seen. Oh yea, and they were made in the US, so they are not this cheap Pakistanian shit.
</font>
I once bought towels from WalMart that were Cannon and made in the US... and 100% cotten.

yet they scratched the shit outta my paint!

problem is they sometimes put polyester in the backing of cheaper towels. and still callt hem 100% cotton.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Valentine 1
Old 04-28-2001, 11:44 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
I once bought towels from WalMart that were Cannon and made in the US... and 100% cotten.

yet they scratched the shit outta my paint!

problem is they sometimes put polyester in the backing of cheaper towels. and still callt hem 100% cotton.

</font>
I can believe it...

However, the towels that they had over at Bloomingdale's (that we just got for $10.00 each), were the same Supimas that we got for three times the price at Bed Bath Beyond.

Your story reminds me of the Pep-Boy towels that claim to be "100% cotton" but are not.

If the towels do NOT feel real soft, they are probably going to scratch the car.

There are "bargains" out there, and I can assure you that the towels we bargain shopped are 100% cotton. I matched the "tags" vs. the ones I purchased at BBB and even did a "burn" test. The smell and thread burn gives a pretty good idea of polyester being in the towel (or whatever).

As a note -- the "microfiber" towels are attracting more and more professional detailers and suppliers. I just got a new "Griots" catalog today *and* they have joined the bandwagon, along with Classic Motoring Accesories and others.

I chuckled 'cause there not made of cotton, but they are really soft. I'm keeping my Supimas, but also going to get some of the new "microfiber" towels. My detailer who hasn't been wrong yet (Mr-get-the-job-perfect-the-first-time) has been touting them for the last few months. In the previous Griot’s catalog they made such a fuss over the pure cotton detail cloths they sell with cotton stitching – now the President of the company is going bonkers over the microfiber stuff.

(Kinda reminds me about the, “what is good for your health this week…”)

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-28-2001, 11:59 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chizad1980:

</font>
If you ever use Zaino, you might have some trouble with the color towels.

If you don't use Zaino, Soopa is right about some of the "cheaper" towels having polyester in them. If you get a Griot's catalog *or* look around the web, there are some good descriptions on how to burn a loose thread from the towel with a lighter to see if it is cotton or not.

BTW -- I don't know if this counts for much, but I received a "care package" from a relative who has a ton of "old 'cotton' towels." They are no longer "fit" for nice guestrooms. Some are Cannon/Fieldcrest, but felt a bit harsh. When I tested them with a small butane lighter, they failed the pure cotton test! Buyer beware...

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-09-2001, 04:46 AM
Racer

I use only 100%Egyptian cotton towels. JC-Penneys and Costco carries hand size that I like. I have found even at K-Mart but am liking Costcos the best. Always use light colored towels,white or creme. Cheers!
Old 05-10-2001, 02:49 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blazerbob1:
I use only 100%Egyptian cotton towels. JC-Penneys and Costco carries hand size that I like. I have found even at K-Mart but am liking Costcos the best. Always use light colored towels,white or creme. Cheers!</font>

If you really care (you noticed I said "really care") you can use a butane lighter and test to see if the stuff is cotton or not. Check the detailing sites for details -- that way if you find some "cheap" towels you like, you can always "be sure"...

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-12-2001, 08:38 AM
Adult Supervision

Dump the cotten towels. Microfibre is ABSOLUTELY the way to go. I use the Absorber to dry but the Miracle Towels to remove any wax,glaze,polish,quick detailer,etc.

The best are Miracle Towels - they are awesome. You can get them here:

http://properautocare.com/miracletowel.html

or here:

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto.../133/id111.htm

What to do with the cotten towels? Wash the dog!

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 9005, Polarg M6, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no CAI, no money! (but I got a nice new kitchen!)
Old 05-13-2001, 06:20 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeS 18:
Dump the cotten towels. Microfibre is ABSOLUTELY the way to go. I use the Absorber to dry but the Miracle Towels to remove any wax,glaze,polish,quick detailer,etc.

The best are Miracle Towels - they are awesome. You can get them here:

http://properautocare.com/miracletowel.html

or here:

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto.../133/id111.htm

What to do with the cotten towels? Wash the dog!

</font>
Well, I'm sticking with the "Supimas" for my Zaino Z6 application and removal and Z2 removal -- they just work too blody well (If it ain't broke -- don't fix it [or I'll replace them when they wear out in about 8 years])

HOWEVER...

The "microfiber" towels have been in route, and I've got more coming for any non-Zaino application work.

They realy work great on the inside glass too!!!

I use them on any non-Zaino "job" and on my wife's car.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 05-13-2001).]