What to and not to Zaino? + Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
What to and not to Zaino? + Wheels...

I'm going to be trying out Zaino for my first time either tomorrow or this weekend, and was wondering which parts of the car to actually use it on. They say to use it on mostly everything (including chrome, plastic...), but windows too?

And what do you guys use for your rims? I have a tire dressing, but I'm wondering what to use on the actual rims.

I'm pretty much a complete newbie so any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd apply it to all my paint and rims. I'm not sure how it would affect plastic. Some sealants dry darkish, while some dry lightish. The sealant I use dries to a lighter shade, so it's not good for plastic trim. If zaino drys dark, then it' sok on the trim.

Windows... again it depends on the sealant. Some leave streaks, while others are clear. Since Zaino claims to be optically clear, then it should be ok on windows. But again, I'd rather listen to the Zaino users than to myself on this. :p
Old 05-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can use Zaino on every exterior surface, though I don't bother on trim and moldings - I use dressings for those. Windows, chrome, grills, emblems, all ok. Some folks even use it on their wheels; which brings us to your next question.

Wheels - I use Poorboys Wheel Sealant. A lot of folks use Zaino, AIO, or whatever sealant they use on their car. I used to do that too but find the actual wheel sealant lasts longer (by virtue of it's higher melting temperature, perhaps). In any event if you don't want to buy another product Z5 or Z2 will work.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks! I'll prolly use Zaino on the wheels this time around simply because I have it...I'll look into some other products for next time though.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:20 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,036 Likes on 3,878 Posts
Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
Thanks! I'll prolly use Zaino on the wheels this time around simply because I have it...I'll look into some other products for next time though.

Let us know whay you think of the Zaino.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pttl
Let us know whay you think of the Zaino.
Love it. Just did it today - and I'm exhausted. I never spent so much time working on my car in one day, but the results are great. And it's not difficult at all...Some people are turned off from Zaino because they think it's tough to do - but trust me I'm a complete novice when it comes to this stuff and I had no problems whatsoever.

I'll prolly add another coat or two next time I wash the car. Have any of you used Z-8 (It's that finishing touch one)? Does it make that much a difference?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:54 PM
My first Avatar....

Love it. Just did it today - and I'm exhausted. I never spent so much time working on my car in one day, but the results are great. And it's not difficult at all...Some people are turned off from Zaino because they think it's tough to do - but trust me I'm a complete novice when it comes to this stuff and I had no problems whatsoever.

I'll prolly add another coat or two next time I wash the car. Have any of you used Z-8 (It's that finishing touch one)? Does it make that much a difference?

I'm thinking of getting into the Zaino thing too, since I've never read a bad thing about it, other than it takes forever. Did you clay bar the car first?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Yup...my first experience with the claybar too. I bought the whole Zaino kit, though it's my understanding that a claybar is a claybar, so it might not be worth spending $17 on the Zaino one.

Anyways, yeah so far I'm very satisfied with it. I see you're from Jersey too...in which case you can't order Zaino directly from the Zaino website. They do direct Jersey residents to one of two distributers:

There's a store in Howell, NJ called Shore Motorsports. You have to actually drive to the store to purchase it, but if you're nearby I guess I'd check it out.

I, on the other hand, did not feel like driving that far at all (it's not very close to me), so I opted to go with the other distributer, Carl Voellm, out in PA. His website is www.hcvind.com and he carries everything listed on the Zaino website. Shipping is $8.95, and I was very impressed because I recieved everything two days after I ordered. So if you're looking to buy some, I recommend Carl Voellm for Jersey residents...unless you wanna check out the store in Howell.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
There's a store in Howell, NJ called Shore Motorsports. You have to actually drive to the store to purchase it, but if you're nearby I guess I'd check it out.

That's where I get all my Zaino. No sense paying sales tax and shipping if you can take a ride up there. It's right up the street from Sal's shop.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Well you don't have to pay the PA sales tax if you're from Jersey...but yeah you save $8.95 if you just go to the store to pick it up. I live about an hour and a half from that shop - and I'm lazy.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Advanced

Ive tried Zaino products for a little while and

Find them to be exactly as described on their website. Ive only tried different claybars besides theirs and find that their red bar is great but takes more rubbing on dirtier surfaces - but thats ok too, cause I think that means it not as abrasive as some and will not scratch/mar as much. Hope you used plenty of lubricant. I also found that their ZPC Fusion cleaner after claying leaves an almost flawless finish, with no spiderwebbing, scratches, etc., on the vehicles I did. Left clear smooth, finishes each time. I used Porter Cable with yellow initial then white L/C foam pads and then the cotton Zaino applicator by hand to spread the Z-5/Z-2 both ZFX'd. Everything came out beautiful, clear, black, SUV's.. You can use the ZPC Fusion cleaner by hand but depending on condition of your paint, may take longer if its really swirled, scratched, etc.., as my kid's vehicles were. Z8 is also a great product, a llittle pricey, so I have the Z6 also to use between washes, and sometimes I do the Z8, it really looks great. Good luck DanF
Old 05-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Everyday Joe

I picked up Wheel Wax that I saw adverstised in Motor Trend. I've onlyused it on my TSX and can't say that I'm swayed one way or the other on it's performance. I'll try it on our truck before I throw it away......
Old 05-27-2006, 09:59 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by stokdgs
Find them to be exactly as described on their website. Ive only tried different claybars besides theirs and find that their red bar is great but takes more rubbing on dirtier surfaces - but thats ok too, cause I think that means it not as abrasive as some and will not scratch/mar as much. Hope you used plenty of lubricant. I also found that their ZPC Fusion cleaner after claying leaves an almost flawless finish, with no spiderwebbing, scratches, etc., on the vehicles I did. Left clear smooth, finishes each time. I used Porter Cable with yellow initial then white L/C foam pads and then the cotton Zaino applicator by hand to spread the Z-5/Z-2 both ZFX'd. Everything came out beautiful, clear, black, SUV's.. You can use the ZPC Fusion cleaner by hand but depending on condition of your paint, may take longer if its really swirled, scratched, etc.., as my kid's vehicles were. Z8 is also a great product, a llittle pricey, so I have the Z6 also to use between washes, and sometimes I do the Z8, it really looks great. Good luck DanF

stokdgs

You use a pc with your Zaino? I thought they Zaino brothers recommend against that, because they say you can't get the product on the car thin enough, and you end up wasting it. I'm interested to hear your thoughts
thanks

pt
Old 05-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I, on the other hand, did not feel like driving that far at all (it's not very close to me), so I opted to go with the other distributer, Carl Voellm, out in PA. His website is www.hcvind.com and he carries everything listed on the Zaino website. Shipping is $8.95, and I was very impressed because I recieved everything two days after I ordered. So if you're looking to buy some, I recommend Carl Voellm for Jersey residents...unless you wanna check out the store in Howell.
That's where I get my Zaino from, too. Just ordered refills of everything today after washing/polishing my car this morning. I love this stuff, and it even smells good . I was new to all of it last year but I think it's very easy to use.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

It smells awesome! I'm tempted to wash myself with some of their products. It smells like it would taste good too mmmm