What do you wash/wax your car with?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you wash/wax your car with?

Alright, I told myself I was gonna wash my car every couple of weeks but I've been pretty lazy about washing my car ever since I bought my nighthawk black tsx in early June. Obviously with black, that's a color that needs to be cleaned to maintain a good look.

I'm wondering what everyone uses to wash their car? What soap and towel does everyone use?

As far as waxing, anyone recommend a specific brand that they've liked? I've searched around google, but I thought it'd be best to get an idea from other Acura owners. Thanks
Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Modding newbie

I use Meguairs Gold Class to wash, with microfiber towels and follow with NXT 2.0 liquid wax.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:19 AM
THƎSƎ HOPƎFUL MACHINƎS

Kodawg,

There is much involved in properly caring for black paint. More important than the soap you use is the technique you use, especially on black.

Go to YouTube and search for "Two Bucket Method" to learn how to properly wash the vehicle. As long as you use a reasonable car-specific shampoo, you should be okay. I like Griot's Garage Car Wash or Meguiar's Gold Class for regular washing, but I have not done a standard wash in months as I've discovered Optimum No-Rinse. If you've not heard of this product, search for it on YouTube as well, and look for vids uploaded by a user called 'Scottwax'. He's a phenomenal detailer and has some great tutorial vids.

As for your selection of products/tools to use in your detailing, check out Autopia.org for more information than you could ever consume.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
jsilas
Old 08-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Advanced

went ahead and took a look at that youtube vid. definitely will consider the optimum no-rinse.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
kodawg, read this complete NBP TL detail writeup by Todd Cooperider, you will learn everything you need to know and more! I read it months ago and ended up ordering close to $800 worth of detailing supplies! lol

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...-pearl-part-1/
Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss. Easily the best car wash soap I've ever used.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by knavinusa
I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss. Easily the best car wash soap I've ever used.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash, and Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax
Old 08-11-2010, 05:11 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Disbe
kodawg, read this complete NBP TL detail writeup by Todd Cooperider, you will learn everything you need to know and more! I read it months ago and ended up ordering close to $800 worth of detailing supplies! lol

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...-pearl-part-1/
Interesting link. I may start using the two bucket method.. but couldn't you just rinse your wash mitt before dipping back into your soap bucket? lol Seems more logical than dipping it repeatedly into a "rinse bucket" which then again fill up with dirt/debri just like he's trying to keep the wash bucket from doing.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i use one bucket for the car and one for the wheels...one mitt for the car, a sponge for the wheel wells, and a mitt for the wheels...i never cross contaminate that stuff...

meguiars gold class wash
microfibre drying towels, absorber synthetic drying towel for door jambs and under hood and stuff like that
4*upp after a pass with udm and aio product with white pad
Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by AMUA6
Interesting link. I may start using the two bucket method.. but couldn't you just rinse your wash mitt before dipping back into your soap bucket? lol Seems more logical than dipping it repeatedly into a "rinse bucket" which then again fill up with dirt/debri just like he's trying to keep the wash bucket from doing.
Grit guard, my friend.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Grit guard, my friend.
dont get me wrong, i get the grit guard and all, but the grit guard isnt going to keep the very small particles from being suspended in the water and getting back on your mitt...
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Advanced

You certainly could rinse your mitt first with a hose. I would still use the two bucket method. I have a black TSX and every little bit helps.

FWIW, I use 2 rinse buckets (I place 1 on each side of the car). I have a 100 mile commute daily and the car gets really dirty. Two rinse buckets keeps me from sticking the sponge into really filthy water - also helps to not have to lug a bucket around the car.

My buckets only have some soapy rinse water. I use a foam gun and use that to soap up the sponge and car while washing.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I don't really get what makes a soap better than another. They all clean and you still have to scrub...
Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
dont get me wrong, i get the grit guard and all, but the grit guard isnt going to keep the very small particles from being suspended in the water and getting back on your mitt...
The fine particulate on good wash media isn't going to mar the surface. I have been using the single bucket/grit guard method for a long time and have never marred in the washing stage if you use a quality soap.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
I don't really get what makes a soap better than another. They all clean and you still have to scrub...
A good quality soap will have higher lubricity which helps keep the grit off the paint and move it into the wash media. And with a good quality soap you don't need to scrub. If your scrubbing then your not washing often enough and shouldn't be concerned anyway because marring will come from things dry rubbing on the car.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts

Would you use car shampoo for your dishes?
Dawn is designed to cut the grease from your food on your plates.

ideally you're supposed to detail your car once or twice a year. clay, polish, and wax.
Use Dawn on your car, and you strip away the wax, and not to mention all that time and effort you previously put in, making you do double the work.

Jess, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Using the 2 bucket method with grit guards is basically hedging your bets. Sure, you will never be guaranteed to get 100 % of particulates out, but you are increasing your odds. Rinsing your wash mitt in a rinse bucket will certainly get more particulates out then hitting your mitt with a water house and it saves water also. You could have 10 rinse buckets lined up in a row, agitate your mitt in each of them for 5 minutes each, and still not get 100 % of particulates out. Again, its all about doing what makes sense, helps us achieve a better job and saves some time and material.

Better quality soaps will help as the lubricate the service which helps pulls the dirt and particulates into your mitt and help prevent marring your paint. As others have said, you shouldnt be scrubbing but really be letting the weight of the mitt do the work as you pull it across the paint. Same thing with drying, little to no pressure at all.

Even if you read Todd's complete TL writeup, or if its too long for you, read the "Washing and Drying" writeup. As it is the most important step in a good detail, it will help most people.

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...ng-and-Drying/
Old 08-12-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Would you use car shampoo for your dishes?
Dawn is designed to cut the grease from your food on your plates.

ideally you're supposed to detail your car once or twice a year. clay, polish, and wax.
Use Dawn on your car, and you strip away the wax, and not to mention all that time and effort you previously put in, making you do double the work.

Jess, correct me if I am wrong.
I should have been more specific. I use some meguiars car wash soap (can't remember the name) on my car but I just don't understand what makes a car soap better than another. IE that optimum stuff everyone always talks about on here or citrus guys soap.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Instructor

2 things to consider, some soaps are ph balanced to not remove any wax or sealants and some are made to strip wax and sealants. Most soaps in a concentrated form will strip wax and sealants though. As an example, i use 2 soaps. 1 is for stripping wax and sealants and 1 is for maintenance washes so it does not remove wax and sealants. Next thing to consider is lubrication. Some soaps have better lubricating abilities. Last but not least, and potentially the most important is........ how it smells!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I should have been more specific. I use some meguiars car wash soap (can't remember the name) on my car but I just don't understand what makes a car soap better than another. IE that optimum stuff everyone always talks about on here or citrus guys soap.
The biggest difference I found between Meguiar's Gold Class and the CG Citrus wash is the lubricity. With the CG wash it almost feels like the mitt wants to slip off your hands.

That Optimum stuff you're referring to is probably Optimum No-Rinse. It's not a soap but a polymer solution. It allows you to wash your car with very little water - just mix up the ONR solution, go over the panel with your mitt, then wipe it dry with a microfiber, no rinsing required.