wax and some car wash stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wax and some car wash stuff

Hi
I just went to my local k-mart and picked up the Mr. Clean car wash kit and it works pretty good. Also I picked up some Prestone car wax. But from reading the forums, it seems as though Meguiar NXT Tech Wax is highly recommended. What do you guys think about prestone or should i just return it and get something else? Also how do i apply the wax? do i have to buy a separate type of applying sponge or something like that? and i'm gonna need a microfiber cloth to buff out the haze right?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2005, 10:06 PM
?

I've used the prestone before and I didnt like the shine too much, it looked too oilly and the durabilility just wasnt there. I used it a couple of times then switched to NXT which I find to be alot more superior to the Prestone. The NXT comes with an applicator, just follow the directions. You might want to consider claying/polishing before waxing depending on the condition of your paint.
Just check out http://autopia.org/forums/
for more on detailing.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark307
I've used the prestone before and I didnt like the shine too much, it looked too oilly and the durabilility just wasnt there. I used it a couple of times then switched to NXT which I find to be alot more superior to the Prestone. The NXT comes with an applicator, just follow the directions. You might want to consider claying/polishing before waxing depending on the condition of your paint.
Just check out http://autopia.org/forums/
for more on detailing.
What exactly does claying before waxing do to the car? And you said it depends on the condition of the paint? I don't really understand what thats all about. Well my car isn't that old, its an 03 with about 30k miles, i don't know if that tells you anything. But yeah. what kind of clay do i need to get and how do i apply it or use it?
Old 01-27-2005, 01:02 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Griots Garage
Regardless of how clean you think your paint is, there are still contaminants stuck on the paint that you need to remove before waxing or polishing your paint. Paint Cleaning Clay leaves behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your wax adhere better and last longer, too. It also makes the wax much easier remove, reducing your "elbow grease" substantially. Clay is safe for all paint and also works great on glass to get it squeaky clean. To use, just remove the clay from the wrapper, spray the paint's surface with Speed Shine® (acts as a lubricating fluid), and rub the clay back and forth until there is no drag. This means your paint is clean! Unlike other cleaners and polishes, no buffing or hard circular motions are necessary. Takes literally one fourth the time as it would using paint cleaner! Follow up with Best of Show Wax® and your paint will look stunning! The large 8 ounce bar cleans about 7 vehicles, depending on the amount of contamination your surface is covered with.
lots of good info at this site, www.griotsgarage.com
Old 01-27-2005, 07:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Try here also..... As for the Prestone, I would return it and at a minimum, go with NXT. Shopping online is a whole different story......
Old 01-27-2005, 06:50 PM
?

Originally Posted by andyjl
What exactly does claying before waxing do to the car? And you said it depends on the condition of the paint? I don't really understand what thats all about. Well my car isn't that old, its an 03 with about 30k miles, i don't know if that tells you anything. But yeah. what kind of clay do i need to get and how do i apply it or use it?
Detailing clay is a surface preparation tool for your car's paint.

When used as instructed, detailing clay cleans the paint, quickly removing surface oxidation and ground in dirt. Your car's paint will emerge feeling very slick, and the paint will be perfectly clean. The contamination-free finish will be easier to polish and wax, making your detailing day more enjoyable. Can be bought online or in your local auto store.