Wax recommendations for Acura CLS from experts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wax recommendations for Acura CLS from experts?

Hi,

First let me say this is a great place with wealth of information and perspectives from what I have read so far. I've been pretty lazy and haven't waxed my acura cls for couple of years, just been washing with plain water without soap every now and then. It doesn't look too bad for a five year old car except for a small patch on front hood where clear coat seems to have vanished. It is maroon color and and gets parked in the sun quite often.

Can any of the experts here recommend a good wax?

My primary concerns are protection against sun, bird droppings and of course some shine and a wax that would last at least 3-6 months.

I have read good things about Zaino, Zymol and Turtle ICE here and hoping others with experience will help make a recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

Also, for paint protection, would you recommend parking out in sun or under tree shade even if there is some risk of bird dropping now and then?

Last edited by autosport; 07-11-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
picutures of the damage will help, but judging by what you said, you will need to do this:

Wash
Correct
Polish
Wax

I love to use Zaino Z-7 for maintainace washes (between waxing) but when Apply wax, I like to strip the surface of all the waxes, oils and tar by washing with Dawn that's heavily diluted and wash twice.

For correction, it depends on the damage that has been done to your paint, judging by your description, you might have some heavy swirling. I think optimum compound or some four star Medium Cut followed by Light cut will take care of it.

For polishing, optimum polish is good, but there are other ones too.

For wax, there are a bunch of products can you use. For OTC, duragloss, meg's NXT and turtle wax Ice are good synthetic sealants.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
maroon CLS???
Old 07-13-2008, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
picutures of the damage will help, but judging by what you said, you will need to do this:

Wash
Correct
Polish
Wax

I love to use Zaino Z-7 for maintainace washes (between waxing) but when Apply wax, I like to strip the surface of all the waxes, oils and tar by washing with Dawn that's heavily diluted and wash twice.

For correction, it depends on the damage that has been done to your paint, judging by your description, you might have some heavy swirling. I think optimum compound or some four star Medium Cut followed by Light cut will take care of it.

For polishing, optimum polish is good, but there are other ones too.

For wax, there are a bunch of products can you use. For OTC, duragloss, meg's NXT and turtle wax Ice are good synthetic sealants.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to post a pic of that paint section.

I went ahead and washed the car with soap today first time in years and waxed with Turtle ice. It was too dark to tell result when I finished, I will post results later.

Originally Posted by MD03CL-S
maroon CLS???
Some might call it burgundy, I'm not so good with color names : )
Old 07-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
You REALLY need a polish...........

I've been pretty lazy and haven't waxed my acura cls for couple of years, just been washing with plain water without soap every now and then. It doesn't look too bad for a five year old car except for a small patch on front hood where clear coat seems to have vanished. It is maroon color and and gets parked in the sun quite often.

I dont think im going out on a limb with this suggestion either.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
turtle wax ice is not a very long lasting wax either....

first thing you really need to do is clay the car and polish the car....after that is done then i recommend 4 star ultimate paint protection....but i wouldnt recommend it without the clay and polish....

waxing a car without the proper prep is a waist of time, not to mention the way you are washing your car...before you get a new car you need to do some research on proper car care....you have come to the right spot!!