water spots on '06 RL NBP

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
water spots on '06 RL NBP

Tips guys to get rid of water spots - I have the UDM with orange, red and white pads and UPP products (poli-seal, polish, compound). Use with UPP with which pad to rid these water spots? Thanks for any help and tips. I am new with the UDM. Used once but don't think I used a high enough speed to break down the polish.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Whoops - not UPP products but Optimum products.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:04 AM
He who laughs, last didnt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by miner
Whoops - not UPP products but Optimum products.
start with white pad with optimum polish, if that dont help, use white w/ compound polish and work your way up to orange if necessery, and go really slow passes with 5-6speed. always check your work on each passes.
BUT?! if that doesnt work (like me, i have these mean waterspot that came with it brand new) you might consider getting yellow pads for stronger cutting.
sh!t, i might have to order some for myself i cant get rid of these spot! pat i hope you have still have some in stock
well good luck on ur nbp it was a b!tch working on one
Old 10-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Bahda bing.....
Old 10-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i know patrick is in the business of selling stuff which i have no problem with, but the products you have listed will take care of your problems...if not then you need other help...

i would just start with the poliseal/white pad and see what happens....dont try to use your last step product like a sealant or wax to remove water spots....thats not what that stuff is for....

if the poliseal doesnt work, go to the optimum polish and white pad, i guarantee that will work....then follow with the poliseal and white pad followed by your wax or sealant and a black or red pad....

save the orange pad for more serious stuff like swirls and scratches and make sure you have multiple pads of each color...you need at min 2 white pads, one for each product you plan on using...in this case one for optimum polish, and one for poliseal....
Old 10-22-2008, 12:44 PM
The Detailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It really depends on how bad your water spots are. They could be etched in pretty badly but if they're fairly new water spots, distilled vinegar can typically get rid of them. If it's a little worse than that, you'll probably have to polish them out with OP and a white/orange pad. If it's worse than that, you'll probably have to hit it with a compound and purple foamed wool pad or wool pad. If it's even more worse than that, you'll have to resort to wet sanding, then compounding, then polishing.

So like I said, it really depends on how bad the water spots are and how badly you want to minimize or get rid of them. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Safety Car

there ya have it....post up some pics
Old 10-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Gentlemen.......let me present the "other side of the coin".....
When polishing out water spots, realize your reducing the clearcoat by attrition. You are, in fact reducing the spots severity, by reducing or leveling the clear coat protection. We perfom this enough when we perform general polishing.
I highly recommend using non abrasives such as vinegar, paint cleaners or quick detailers for light water spots (nuisance spots) or a paint cleaner, water/mineral spot remover for heavier etching/spotting.
"Leveling" spots is always a last option. If you can chemically remove the mineral deposits, then "lightly" polish for evenness, I think you would be happier?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Gentlemen.......let me present the "other side of the coin".....
When polishing out water spots, realize your reducing the clearcoat by attrition. You are, in fact reducing the spots severity, by reducing or leveling the clear coat protection. We perfom this enough when we perform general polishing.
I highly recommend using non abrasives such as vinegar, paint cleaners or quick detailers for light water spots (nuisance spots) or a paint cleaner, water/mineral spot remover for heavier etching/spotting.
"Leveling" spots is always a last option. If you can chemically remove the mineral deposits, then "lightly" polish for evenness, I think you would be happier?
point well made...i would still think if you use a mild enough polish that you can polish away the spots without abrading the clearcoat....

i would try the product if i had water spots that bad i guess...