Washing your TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washing your TSX

I just finished washing our car and I have two comments to make:

1. I bought the Mr. Clean car wash system and it's fantastic! It uses something like an enlarged hose sprayer nozzle and is really wonderfil; no more buckets filled with soapy water. My friends who tried it loved it and bought one as well. Also, Consumer Reports liked it. I paid about $20 for it at Target.

2. One of the wisest things I have ever done regarding my garage is to have hot and cold water faucets installed. The plumber charged me about $200 and it's worth every penny to have warm water with which to wash a car in the winter.

Happy New Year everybody. This is really a terrific forum!
Old 12-31-2004, 04:39 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

So how well does it work at getting of the pasted on road salt and such, I assume you still need a sponge?

Do you rinse the sponge off in a bucket?
Old 12-31-2004, 04:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vger105
2. One of the wisest things I have ever done regarding my garage is to have hot and cold water faucets installed. The plumber charged me about $200 and it's worth every penny to have warm water with which to wash a car in the winter.

can I bring my car over for a quick hose down ?
Old 12-31-2004, 04:50 PM
G2 TSX

Don't you have to use their 'Mr. Clean' soap as well? If you do, then I would pass.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrChad
So how well does it work at getting of the pasted on road salt and such, I assume you still need a sponge?

Do you rinse the sponge off in a bucket?
I use a washing mitten, necessary to get all the salt and grime off my car. Here in the northeast the roads can get pretty gritty.
BTW, I forgot to mention; one big plus about using this system is that you don't have to dry the car! The "nozzle" has three settings; soap, rinse, and a special drying
setting, which sprays the car with a fine mist of filtered "something."
Here's more info:
http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclea...ry/index.shtml

BTW, I have no connection to this company, blah, blah, blah... I thought the gizmo would be of interest to everybody, particularly in cold weather.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by matelot
can I bring my car over for a quick hose down ?
Sure! I live on Long Island, NY, a suburb of NYC.
My wife will make muffins and hot chocolate for us. :o)
Old 12-31-2004, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jack Slate
Don't you have to use their 'Mr. Clean' soap as well? If you do, then I would pass.
Yes. You also have top buy a replacement filter, when the old one wears out, for the final rinsing step
Still, everyone I've recommended this thing to tried mine and wound up buying one.
Geez... I sound like a commercial. ;o)
Old 12-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Instructor

I have had one for about a year now. It does work pretty good. The soap and the replacement filters are about $6 each. I works on my motorcycle realy well, all those parts to dry is a pain!
Old 12-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Everyday Joe

I just finished washing our car and I have two comments to make:

1. I bought the Mr. Clean car wash system and it's fantastic! It uses something like an enlarged hose sprayer nozzle and is really wonderfil; no more buckets filled with soapy water. My friends who tried it loved it and bought one as well. Also, Consumer Reports liked it. I paid about $20 for it at Target.

Tell me more about this plumbing deal....did you retrofit it or was it new construction?
I'd love having warm water to wash the vehicles with....these VA winters are tough (it got up to 65 today)
Old 12-31-2004, 07:47 PM
Instructor

Be careful, that Mr. Clean thing caused my hose to viscerate from the suction it created. The soap will also turn your wash mitt black and sticky. It is a cool concept, but hard on your detailing products.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:10 PM
Intermediate

I have been using the Mr. Clean since I bought my TSX in July. I agree that it is great. The best thing is that you don't have to dry the car to keep from getting spots. I use a microfiber cloth to touch up the few wet spots that remain. I also use a mitt.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by keg1997
Tell me more about this plumbing deal....did you retrofit it or was it new construction?
I'd love having warm water to wash the vehicles with....these VA winters are tough (it got up to 65 today)
It wasn't a retrofit. The plumber ran two pipes along the bottom left (facing the garage) wall of the garage, a couple of inches from the floor. The pipes entered the house into the basement through a concrete foundation, through which he drilled two holes to accomodate the pipes. He then tied the two pipes to hot and cold water pipes in the basement.
Then at the end of the pipes, by the garage door, he put in two faucets about waist high; hot and cold water. I bought a "Y" connector at Home Depot so I would have warm water.
I also asked him to continue the cold water pipe through the garage wall so I could have an outdoor faucet at that location.
The whole job cost about $200.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Everyday Joe

It wasn't a retrofit. The plumber ran two pipes along the bottom left (facing the garage) wall of the garage, a couple of inches from the floor. The pipes entered the house into the basement through a concrete foundation, through which he drilled two holes to accomodate the pipes. He then tied the two pipes to hot and cold water pipes in the basement.
Then at the end of the pipes, by the garage door, he put in two faucets about waist high; hot and cold water. I bought a "Y" connector at Home Depot so I would have warm water.
I also asked him to continue the cold water pipe through the garage wall so I could have an outdoor faucet at that location.
The whole job cost about $200.
Thanks! I'm going to get in touch with a plumber and see if he can do something like that for our house. I wish I had thought of it a year ago b/c we just built a new house. That would have been sweet!
Old 01-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by keg1997
Thanks! I'm going to get in touch with a plumber and see if he can do something like that for our house. I wish I had thought of it a year ago b/c we just built a new house. That would have been sweet!
You're very welcome. You will love it once you get it installed.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:34 PM
OCD in the OC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't use the Mr. Clean system because it leaves a sticky film on your car that attracts dust when you let it "auto dry." Traditional detail for me.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ccarbajal08
I don't use the Mr. Clean system because it leaves a sticky film on your car that attracts dust when you let it "auto dry." Traditional detail for me.
I wonder why that is. Neither I nor anyone of my friends who bought the system has that problem. Could the water there contibute to that "sticky film?"
Old 01-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder why that is. Neither I nor anyone of my friends who bought the system has that problem. Could the water there contibute to that "sticky film?"
Probably. The water out here sucks ass.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Drifting

Moving this to Wash and Wax with redirect in TSX Talk...