Washing your TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few points of advice on claying your car:

1. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF ADVICE FOR CLAY!!!!
IF YOU DROP YOUR CLAY ON THE FLOOR THROW IT OUT AND START WITH A NEW PIECE!!! (Don't risk putting scratches on your finish with the little pebbles the clay picks up from the ground.)

2. Claying your car will make a HUGE difference in appearance. You can skip this step but you'll be glad that you didn't.

3. Make sure to fold the clay as you use it so that you get a new clean surface to work with.

4. You don't need to buy expensive Clay Lubricants to use Clay. You can just use a mixture of Soap and water to clay. I usually wash my car twice. First time is to get the larger dirt particles off. Then I go at it again but with a soapy sponge in one hand and clay in the other. Makes things quicker.

5. You can cut the bars into smaller pieces so that if you drop one of the pieces while you work, it won't be that big of a loss. One full clay bar should actually last you a pretty long time.

Happy Claying everyone!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 01:44 PM
9th Gear

Pure Adreneline, i guess you did not read far enough into my comments. I would like to add on to my car but with leasing I feel like your kinda throwing away your money or giving something back to the dealer that you paid for. If you have the chance to upgrade your car, go for it. I appreciate all the pics of the tricked out TL's on this web site. I would also like to apologize to everyone who keeps their cars lookin like new. I like my car to look good also, but going to the car wash is just my way of saving time and using the time for something I rather be doing. Oh, by the way my brother is right up there with the rest of you guys when it comes to detailing, all of his vehicles look like they came right out of the showroom. He loves zaino and recommends pinnacle.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by john zendarski
Pure Adreneline, i guess you did not read far enough into my comments. I would like to add on to my car but with leasing I feel like your kinda throwing away your money or giving something back to the dealer that you paid for. If you have the chance to upgrade your car, go for it. I appreciate all the pics of the tricked out TL's on this web site. I would also like to apologize to everyone who keeps their cars lookin like new. I like my car to look good also, but going to the car wash is just my way of saving time and using the time for something I rather be doing. Oh, by the way my brother is right up there with the rest of you guys when it comes to detailing, all of his vehicles look like they came right out of the showroom. He loves zaino and recommends pinnacle.
That's cool.

But I don't see it as wasting money. I can always take the parts off and sell them. I would really be only paying for the period of time I used the mods for. It's not like I'm losing thousands and thousands of dollars. I know there will be a loss, but the joy of having them and enjoying them for years is well worth it. Same principle goes toward leasing.

My dad is always, always busy, and he doesn't have time to wash his car himself. He takes it to a car wash (at least it's a do-it-yourself.. whew). I don't blame him. And I don't blame you.

It's just that your previous post sounded like you were mocking us for wasting time detailing our cars, and that you buy cars for the new car smell.

No hard feelings.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:28 PM
9th Gear

Just blew $700.00 and change on a new set of Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions great tires. Pure A, I wish I had the same opportunity as you to add extras to my car. LOve to lower it and add new rims. If I knew I could sell my parts after the lease was up I would do it in a heartbeat. Let's see some pics of your car.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:23 PM
the Budman

Question Tree sap removal

I discovered a small spot of tree sap on my new TL on the trunk. Don't ask me how, when or why, I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Any good suggestions to remove it? Bug and tar remover?

Thanks... big time!
Old 04-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Just blew $700.00 and change on a new set of Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions great tires. Pure A, I wish I had the same opportunity as you to add extras to my car. LOve to lower it and add new rims. If I knew I could sell my parts after the lease was up I would do it in a heartbeat. Let's see some pics of your car.
At the Import Life Tour show this past March.

Old pictures -->

Old 04-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Exclamation Keepin' it real...

That what so great about leasing. ... I know that leasing is not for everyone, and i do not get to trick out my car like some of you other TL owners, but I be the first one ready for that new 06 TL with 300 hp and AWD. LOVE THAT NEW CAR SMELL. Keep on scrubin guys.
That's one perspective. On the other hand, I had my last fine car for 14 years and 99,000 miles. It still looked as good as the day I got it. And I buy spray cans of that "new car smell". The same ones they use at the factory. Oh, the other difference is that I haven't had a car payment for 11 years. Now multiply that times your monthly lease payment.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Exclamation Clay Bar!

Originally Posted by budman
I discovered a small spot of tree sap on my new TL on the trunk. Don't ask me how, when or why, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Any good suggestions to remove it? Bug and tar remover?
Thanks... big time!
Budman,

Go to www.autopia.com and do a search on "clay bar". You will want to get and use a clay bar. It removes all contaminates gently and safely. It has no harsh chemicals. They will have suggestions and instructions on the detailer site. It is inexpensive and easy. I like Meguire's or Clay Magic. They're both good and less than $10 for a kit that you can order right there.

X P Ditor, Prez
TEAM CAMEL
Old 04-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
New car smell? My Zaino leather cleaner can provide that. I bet you money my interior will smell better than yours, and for the years to come, because I always detail my car, and you don't. Sooner or later, your great new car smell will wear off and you'll left wondering whether you should now get a new car or not, whereas our cars, while older than your fancy new ones, will most likely be in as good as, or in better, shape.
I love that Zaino leather cleaner smell! :clown:

X P
Old 04-15-2004, 08:40 AM
the Budman

Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Budman,

Go to www.autopia.com and do a search on "clay bar". You will want to get and use a clay bar. It removes all contaminates gently and safely. It has no harsh chemicals. They will have suggestions and instructions on the detailer site. It is inexpensive and easy. I like Meguire's or Clay Magic. They're both good and less than $10 for a kit that you can order right there.

X P Ditor, Prez
TEAM CAMEL
Thanks, will check it out. Can't wait to get it off!
Old 04-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Hey Type-S lady. I call the prelude the oil burner because after 4 years, it started to burn oil at record rates. I had to pour in at least a quart every week. Very unusual for a Honda, I know, but I had been taking the car to Jiffy Lube and I think they screwed up the engine. Must have forgotten to put oil in one time. Word of advice, never go to Jiffy Lube. They check off items that they don't perform and charge you 30 bucks. Anyway, I ended up trading it in for my TL.

Alright, now who here can tell me how much Dawn to mix with my water for washing, stripping wax?
Old 04-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wonderboy
Alright, now who here can tell me how much Dawn to mix with my water for washing, stripping wax?
I usually hold the bottle of Dawn upside down for about 4 seconds while pressing it firmly. Seems to be enough..
Old 04-19-2004, 03:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet info from this thread
Old 04-23-2004, 06:08 PM
CrookedGrind

what is the proper order of cleaning?

clean with soap and then clay, or vice versa?

-----------------
96 Acura 2.5TL
Stock Spoiler
Old 04-23-2004, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Pretty sure it's Dawn, Clay, Polish, Wax
Old 04-23-2004, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb The dawn of a new Clean Car.

Originally Posted by wonderboy
Pretty sure it's Dawn, Clay, Polish, Wax
In general, yes. But use Dawn sparingly like once every six months for a serious deep cleaning. It is harsh on the rubber and plastic parts.

Then wash with a specialized car wash like Meguire's Deep Crystal or Gold Class or any one of a number of specialized car washes.

Then, if it needs it, use the clay bar on a wet, lubricated surface with back and forth strokes- not circular. Just push the clay up and area slowly, then move over and do it again. All the time, spraying with some car wash diluted in a spray bottle. The clay will drag on the surface when it's picking up foreign bodies. When the clay slides easy, it's decontaminated.

Go to www.autopia.com and you can get more details than you ever wanted.

XP
Old 04-26-2004, 02:35 AM
CrookedGrind

what's the deal with autopia

I keep seeing the site www.autopia.com mentioned for advice on cleaning cars. When I go there, it is a site about dentists. Are you spelling it wrong?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:29 AM
CrookedGrind

5 Star Shine or Bom

Has anyone used 5 star shine or Bom?

These products sound too good to be true. But if they are great, someone let me know. They sound a lot easier than the back-breaking tediousness of waxing a car.

96 Ac Tl
Spoiler
Chrome fifteens
Old 04-26-2004, 06:46 AM
Kicks Ass

Try this site http://www.autopia-carcare.com/index.html
Old 04-26-2004, 11:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Sorry. My error.

Originally Posted by CrookedGrind
I keep seeing the site www.autopia.com mentioned for advice on cleaning cars. When I go there, it is a site about dentists. Are you spelling it wrong?

The correct site is www.autopia.org.

XP