Washing my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 01:10 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Washing my car

I was thinking of washing my car one last time before the winter finally sets in. Tomorrow wont be too cold (38deg in nyc, rather, yonkers), and i was thinking of washing my car. Is this normal? What would people think if they saw me washing and detailing my car in the winter? What do you guys think i should do? My nbp is getting very dirty, its alsmot an embarrasement ot keep it this dirty. If i wash it, i might garage leave it in the garage when not driving it, it will keep my macaw some company. (damn, its 2am and i dont feel 1 bit tired. I might go out for a drive)
Old 12-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just washed mine the other day in 42 degree weather. Cold, but worth it.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just washed mine and gave it 3 layers of Zaino, knowing very well that the weather will turn crappy the next day. But it's my last chance to wax the car before it turns really cold.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:56 AM
Drifting

Murdock, I don't care what my neighbors think when they see me cleaning my car. You should see the expression on their face when I haul out the leaf blower and open all 4 doors and start "cleaning" my interior.....It's priceless!! Having owned 2 NBP Acuras in the past, I can sympathize with your wanting to keep it looking nice even thru the winter. Whatever you do, don't run it thru an automatic car wash, the brushes will put swirl marks on the finish that will take you all summer to remove if ever. What I used to do during the winter was just clean the underside and wheelwheels with a spray washer, then drive it around to air dry the finish and I didn't bother to chamois the car when the temperature got really cold. That way, you can keep the salt and other crud from accumulating under the car and not freeze your fingers trying to dry the car. WINTER SUCKS!!
Old 12-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Banned

Definately wash your car i'm gonna wash my car tomorrow and it's in the 20's here grant it i have a hot spout in my garage but even if you can only spary it down it's worth getting the crap off your car before the ice and snow sets in!
Old 12-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, I feel for you guys, were expecting the 70's for a few more days here in CA. Im not trying to rub anything in, i would really appreciate seasons out here. Having 2 seasons, hot and windy is all we have here in Ca. Detailing can happen at least 6 out of 7 days and about any 52 given weeks of the yr out here.....
Old 12-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Well today on Christmas with the temp at 36 degrees and wind chill at 23, I washed both cars. While doing the first (Accord Coupe) one it felt quite cold out. Then on the TL it wasn't so bad. By then the little space heater was kickin in the garage. Once the TL was washed and dried I pulled it in and finnish the job.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Intermediate

In MI, hand washing cars in the cold is pretty common. I rotate between that and touchless power washes. I had a fair amount of company today in 17 degree weather washing my car. The trick is to get the car dry before the water freezes. Staying warm is not such a problem because washing requires enough exertion to keep you warm.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Instructor

My car is black , can't stand ta see a white layer of salt on it. When we get a day with the temp. above the freezing point , I drag out my Sears Craftsman power washer and give it a blast . Don't do a perfect job but keeps my hands out of very cold water. Also, Something I've done for years. To get the salt off underneith the car, I use a rainey day. Wait a few hours and let the rain beat the salt off the streets so you have puddles of fresh water instead of saltwater puddles . Then I drive my car thru the puddles ta get the splash hitting up underneith the car , ( same as a power washer ) CAUTION : Ride your brake a little after going thur the splash , ta check your brakes and get rid of any water that my be on your rotors . If ya feel the brakes are slipping a little on ya.

Cheers and Hap N Y ta all.
Seahawk
Old 01-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Instructor

It was 65° F yesterday in NJ! I washed my NBP TL and White Passat. Besides cutting my finger on the Passat, it was a great being able to get the salt off of both cars on January 1st!
Old 01-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
I was thinking of washing my car one last time before the winter finally sets in. Tomorrow wont be too cold (38deg in nyc, rather, yonkers), and i was thinking of washing my car. Is this normal? What would people think if they saw me washing and detailing my car in the winter? What do you guys think i should do? My nbp is getting very dirty, its alsmot an embarrasement ot keep it this dirty. If i wash it, i might garage leave it in the garage when not driving it, it will keep my macaw some company. (damn, its 2am and i dont feel 1 bit tired. I might go out for a drive)
I washed my TL while it was snowing. My neighbors think I have Problems!! But they always comment on how nice my car looks. So, I say who cares what people think. If you don't like having a dirty car...wash it.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by clay8898
I washed my TL while it was snowing. My neighbors think I have Problems!! But they always comment on how nice my car looks. So, I say who cares what people think. If you don't like having a dirty car...wash it.
The next time you drive, you're back to right where you were.. Driving dirty car..

EDIT: Welcome .